Wishon 919 THI

ajlacombe

Has anyone used this driver?

I stumbled on this one by accident. I recently started using Oban shafts. I started with the Kiyoshi Gold and then bought the Black, Purple, HB and White - to test them. They are all very different with unique launch and spin characteristics. I also saw the Oban Devotion and had no intention of testing that shaft, until I bought a 2016 M2 driver that had one with it.

I hit that club/shaft combo really well, so I decided to get a second Devotion driver shaft and a FW shaft so I could test it in some Nike driver heads I have and some FWs.

I snagged a Devotion 6 for $63 off eBay and it was installed in a Wishon 919 THI head that appeared to be beat up. Got the club last night and cleaned and polished the head and it actually is in great shape. I figured I may as well hit a few balls in my backyard (I have a farmer's field behind me and I may have pounded a few balls back there over the 24+ years I have lived there).

We have had a ton of rain here of late so my yard is soaked and I was hitting off a lie that was sidehill and uphill - not ideal :stink:

I hit the first shot - it was a nice height gentle draw that just carried a long way. WTF? Seriously. OK, let' hit another one. Carbon copy of the first shot. No way. Try one last one - yup, same shot again.

I will take it to a range to give it a fair shakedown test. I am LMAO over this one. The club sits nicely behind the ball, is a great look with no alignment mark (all big things for me).

Just wondering if anyone has experience with this club and what your thoughts were on it. I have a Tour Issue 2017 M1 head on the way and the Wishon has set the bar very high. Nice job Tom Wishon, on this club! Oh yeah, it has a great sound too.

Side note: I had built myself a set of Wishon 752tc irons and shot a 4 under 31 in my golf league that year - but unfortunately being the club ho that I am I sold the irons for $150. As Roberto De Vicenzo said "What a stupid I am". Will try not to make that mistake again

Andy

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

I bought an 11* 919THi head, but haven't shafted it up yet...

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

I had a 919 with Oban Devotion. Great combo. Def one of the longest drivers I ever hit but it was lacking in the forgiveness department.

Interested in hearing about your misses if you didn't consider the 919thi very forgiving. The MOI is over 5000 and is in the same realm as the Callaway Fusion, Cobra F7, Epic Sub Zero, and Ping G400. Not many would argue those clubs as not forgiving enough.

Also the variable face design is very well done and good at maintaining ballspeed well off of center strikes.

The majority of reviews are usually the opposite and call the 919thi super forgiving but not quite as long as some other clubs. I found it took a good fitting to get the 919thi spin down but other than that it kept up with most drivers on the market.

I had a 919 with Oban Devotion. Great combo. Def one of the longest drivers I ever hit but it was lacking in the forgiveness department.

Interested in hearing about your misses if you didn't consider the 919thi very forgiving. The MOI is over 5000 and is in the same realm as the Callaway Fusion, Cobra F7, Epic Sub Zero, and Ping G400. Not many would argue those clubs as not forgiving enough.

Also the variable face design is very well done and good at maintaining ballspeed well off of center strikes.

The majority of reviews are usually the opposite and call the 919thi super forgiving but not quite as long as some other clubs. I found it took a good fitting to get the 919thi spin down but other than that it kept up with most drivers on the market.

^^^ would agree with this assessment, I've had mine for years and well not the longest, i have struggled to find anything more forgiving. A fairway finding machine, that being said, I still try and buy a few more yards every year:) However I would never part with my 919!!

I have a 919 11 degree driver shafted with an Aldila NV 55.It plays at 44.75" and has kept all other drivers ( 915D2, M2, G SFT, and a few others) at bay. Am currently searching for a backup head.

Driver  :XXIO 10
Woods : COBRA RADSPEED 3W + 5W
Hybrids : NONE 
Irons : JPX-800-HD
Wedges : CLEVELAND CBX2  50-11 + 56-12 + 60-10
Putter : ODYSSEY WHITE HOT  RX  #2

I can only speak for my own personal experiences. For my swing, this driver wasnt going straight as consistently as I'd like. There were better options for my swing. YMMV.

Has anyone used this driver?

I stumbled on this one by accident. I recently started using Oban shafts. I started with the Kiyoshi Gold and then bought the Black, Purple, HB and White - to test them. They are all very different with unique launch and spin characteristics. I also saw the Oban Devotion and had no intention of testing that shaft, until I bought a 2016 M2 driver that had one with it.

I hit that club/shaft combo really well, so I decided to get a second Devotion driver shaft and a FW shaft so I could test it in some Nike driver heads I have and some FWs.

I snagged a Devotion 6 for $63 off eBay and it was installed in a Wishon 919 THI head that appeared to be beat up. Got the club last night and cleaned and polished the head and it actually is in great shape. I figured I may as well hit a few balls in my backyard (I have a farmer's field behind me and I may have pounded a few balls back there over the 24+ years I have lived there).

We have had a ton of rain here of late so my yard is soaked and I was hitting off a lie that was sidehill and uphill - not ideal :stink:

I hit the first shot - it was a nice height gentle draw that just carried a long way. WTF? Seriously. OK, let' hit another one. Carbon copy of the first shot. No way. Try one last one - yup, same shot again.

I will take it to a range to give it a fair shakedown test. I am LMAO over this one. The club sits nicely behind the ball, is a great look with no alignment mark (all big things for me).

Just wondering if anyone has experience with this club and what your thoughts were on it. I have a Tour Issue 2017 M1 head on the way and the Wishon has set the bar very high. Nice job Tom Wishon, on this club! Oh yeah, it has a great sound too.

Side note: I had built myself a set of Wishon 752tc irons and shot a 4 under 31 in my golf league that year - but unfortunately being the club ho that I am I sold the irons for $150. As Roberto De Vicenzo said "What a stupid I am". Will try not to make that mistake again

Andy

Great club! As others have said, very forgiving and much easier to keep the ball in play. I find the distance to be about the same as other drivers, with a little bit lower trajectory.

We use the heads in the PGA training programme in GB&I when we're doing some driver stuff with trackman and compare very favourably with OEM stuff. Its mainly a shaft fitting session where we use multiple specs to show what the shaft can and can't do and the head's perform really solidly and certainly surprise the trainee's. Couple who were pretty good players (ie Challenge/Former Euro Tour/former Walker cup etc) found it stayed up with gamer

• 2 weeks later...

I have been playing the 11* 919 THI with Fujikura Rombax 6Z08 shaft for several years. The best driver I have ever used. I have purchased enough drivers trying to find something better and have not including the PXG. My wife said I have enough stuff to open a used golf store, probably do. Hope that helps, looking for a offset version of this club head if anyone has it......

I have been playing the 11* 919 THI with Fujikura Rombax 6Z08 shaft for several years. The best driver I have ever used. I have purchased enough drivers trying to find something better and have not including the PXG. My wife said I have enough stuff to open a used golf store, probably do. Hope that helps, looking for a offset version of this club head if anyone has it......

Haha on all the clubs - you need to sell that stuff you are not using then you too can become a club ho like the rest of us :)

Thanks for all of the replies. The Wishon is in a battle with 3 other drivers.

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

• 7 months later...

Haha on all the clubs - you need to sell that stuff you are not using then you too can become a club ho like the rest of us :)

Thanks for all of the replies. The Wishon is in a battle with 3 other drivers.

What was the outcome of the battle? Reviving and old thread wondering if there are still users. I played this driver several years ago and have hit plenty of others since then and have never really found anything better overall in terms of distance and forgiveness. G30, G, Srixon 745, 816 DBD, Recently tried a Max and it was really nice but I wasn't "wowed".

I think part of the reason the Wishon was so good was because it was 44.5" and D4. Seriously thinking of building another. Drivers are just too long now and too much of a headache to get shorter with high swingweights.

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

I just switched back from a G400 MAX to my trusty Wishon 919. I just can't get used to the huge footprint and busy crown of the Ping drivers. They unfortunately sound worse than they look.

The Wishon...is a 460 c.c head and is plenty forgiving. From the topline it looks smaller. The sound and feel are better. I dont need a low spin driver, so the 919 is perfect for me. Not to mention a few years back for $300 Canadian I got the full club to my specs, face angle, bent flat, etc etc.

Overall the Wishon is a less sexy, not as modern/tech forward head that just flat out performs for me.

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

I'm still holding mine, just the head, 10.5*, haven't installed a shaft yet.

Does anyone think that the longer hosels that Tom designed to help with lie adjustment (also with softer steel) affect the flex a given shaft will play at?

I remember one poster's comments about comparing the older 919THI with the shorter hosel to the newer longer one.

For 919thi, 950hc and 775hs clubs, should one tip a little bit less to compensate for the longer hosel?

(sorry for the thread drift)

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Does anyone think that the longer hosels that Tom designed to help with lie adjustment (also with softer steel) affect the flex a given shaft will play at?

I remember one poster's comments about comparing the older 919THI with the shorter hosel to the newer longer one.

For 919thi, 950hc and 775hs clubs, should one tip a little bit less to compensate for the longer hosel?

Not sure, but I searched as was curious and came to this thread, might be helpful-

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1648360-effect-of-bottom-of-bore-to-ground-and-hosel-length-on-shaft-flex/

Based on Howard's response I suspect it will be fairly minimal that you'd need to account for special tipping as although the hosel is longer, the BBGM is also a bit higher than most drivers at 2.0". I personally have not noticed any difference in the 919, but it's just anecdotal. Surely someone has cpm'd a finished club and would know, but ??

I play the 919THI in 13 degree because of my age and stage, with a Wishon White driver shaft in regular flex. The shaft is 44.5" long and the swing weight with a strip of lead tape in draw configuration is D2. I think it is the best driver for me at this time, as long as anything I've hit and very consistent, straight or with a high soft draw.

Not sure, but I searched as was curious and came to this thread, might be helpful-

http://www.golfwrx.c...-on-shaft-flex/

Based on Howard's response I suspect it will be fairly minimal that you'd need to account for special tipping as although the hosel is longer, the BBGM is also a bit higher than most drivers at 2.0". I personally have not noticed any difference in the 919, but it's just anecdotal. Surely someone has cpm'd a finished club and would know, but ??

Thank you. I'll have to look into this some more. Appreciate the link to the previous discussion on this.

I'll have to compare BBTG, shaft insertion depth into the hosel...

TM TP5x

Still love my 919thi. My bag is a mix of Wishon and Miura! Strange combo, I guess.

Driver: Wishon 919thi 11* w/AXE 6 stiff
FW: Wishon 949mc 16.5* w/AXE FW Stiff
3-4 Hybrids: Wishon 775hs w/ S2S White Stiff
Irons: Miura CB-1008 w/Nippon Modus 105 S
Putter: Ping Ketsch Heavy 34" 2 degrees flat
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0

I am very interested in this driver! Heard a lot of good things about it. Read Tom's book. Amazing knowledge. Can a "basic" 10 year old design hold up against modern drivers in length and distance? What is the most comparable driver to this one? Would you buy this driver if you could get a Titleist 917 D2 new for $200? Or Ping G? Mizuno? He is supposed to be introducing a 420 cc "players" driver this spring.

I am very interested in this driver! Heard a lot of good things about it. Read Tom's book. Amazing knowledge. Can a "basic" 10 year old design hold up against modern drivers in length and distance? What is the most comparable driver to this one? Would you buy this driver if you could get a Titleist 917 D2 new for $200? Or Ping G? Mizuno? He is supposed to be introducing a 420 cc "players" driver this spring.

the 919 may be 10 years old but the head has been going through design tweaks during that time. Partly why it's one of the best heads on the market. Designed to be fitted, toe friendly forgiveness, any loft and face angle you want. The new smaller head coming next year will provide another nice option.

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls

the 919 may be 10 years old but the head has been going through design tweaks during that time. Partly why it's one of the best heads on the market. Designed to be fitted, toe friendly forgiveness, any loft and face angle you want. The new smaller head coming next year will provide another nice option.

Orders for the new Driver are in place with the foundry, :nyam: It looks gorgeous!!

Orders for the new Driver are in place with the foundry, :nyam: It looks gorgeous!!

Is the new driver design going to be based off the 919? I read a lot of requests for a driver that does not look massive at address and I first think of and suggest the 919. Curious if it will be a slightly more compact iteration. Also, will cross my fingers that it will be sp700!