2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Anyone using recoil shafts in irons?

Dodgeboy8888

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out the thread about the Apex cf16 “Best.Irons.Ever”. The recoil is the stock graphite shaft on those irons and there are a lot of posts on them in that thread: mostly raving about the feel, control and obscene distance they are getting from the recoil.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
Taylormade M1 3HL
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
Scotty Cameron Newport original

Recoil makes several shafts..the Recoil 110 and the Recoil 110 Prototype are tour worthy shafts and the 125 weight class is just beastly. They are very good shafts and I would think your ego would be more damaged from a 20 handicap than a high quality graphite shaft ! As for the F3, that is regular flex....and that will be on the soft side of regular......no doubt another crushing blow....haha fire that darn club fitter

Recoil makes several shafts..the Recoil 110 and the Recoil 110 Prototype are tour worthy shafts and the 125 weight class is just beastly. They are very good shafts and I would think your ego would be more damaged from a 20 handicap than a high quality graphite shaft ! As for the F3, that is regular flex....and that will be on the soft side of regular......no doubt another crushing blow....haha fire that darn club fitter

Working on that handicap lol just started again after 7yrs away from the game. Was just joking about the ego part. Never realized it was graphite till the end of fitting.

The only thing I remember of graphite was my Dad's old yonex that where like over cooked noodles

Was just curious what others had as experience with them

Went to get fitted today for Mizuno mp18 mmc. The recommended shaft was a recoil f3

Just curious to see feedback on them.

Guess my ego is getting in the way

If the fitter recommended them there is probably a good reason. I have the Recoil F4's in my irons and wedges. I think they are great shafts. Before my fitting, I told the fitter I would play pink shafts with Hello Kitty logo's all over them if that is what performed the best. The scorecard doesn't care what clubs or shafts you play. :-)

I have a few sets of the recoils, 110's and 125's great shafts.

I had picked up a set of used cf-16's last year with the stock recoil shafts, myself being spoiled with the 110's and 125's was expecting the stock shafts to be a let down. Not the case, i hit those cf-16's pretty well.

Picked another set of the cf-16's recently, was thinking the recoil 125's might be fun to try in them.

Recoil 110 F4, love them in Apex Pro 2014s.

Feel great, good ball flight, good spin....very similar to my KBS Tour V.

I bought them for winter when I thin one and its 30 degrees, liked them so much my steel shafted are still in the closet.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

I’m

Went to get fitted today for Mizuno mp18 mmc. The recommended shaft was a recoil f3

If the fitter recommended them there is probably a good reason. I have the Recoil F4's in my irons and wedges. I think they are great shafts. Before my fitting, I told the fitter I would play pink shafts with Hello Kitty logo's all over them if that is what performed the best. The scorecard doesn't care what clubs or shafts you play. :-)

Well that’s why I got fitted. Went with the recommendation. Can’t wait to get them

Moved from Recoil 110 in irons and wedge proto in wedges to Recoil 80 in irons and 95 in wedges this year. Love them. Extremely stable given the lightweight. Never too young to start looking after your body. Graphite feels great and is proven to be much easier on your joints.

Callaway National Fitters Board/Adidas Staff/UST Mamiya Advisory Staff
AI Smoke Max - Lin-Q M40X Blue 
AI Smoke Max 3W - Lin-Q M40X Red
AI Smoke Max 5W - Lin-Q M40X White
Apex UW - Lin-Q M40X White
Apex Pro 24 5-8, CB 9-11 - Recoil Dart 105
JAWS Raw 54W,60Z - Recoil Wedge Proto 110
Toulon Le Mans - UST All-In
Chrome Tour

My backup set of clubs have the F3 660 in them. The recoil is a very good shaft and the feel of them on a not so good strike isnt as harsh as it is with a steel shaft, but you do get good feedback from them. They are a very comfortable feeling shaft. The only reason Im not gaming them, is because of the weight. They are not very heavy. For some thats a good thing and for others not so much. The light weight just didnt work well enough for my swing so they became my backups.

I’m

Well that’s why I got fitted. Went with the recommendation. Can’t wait to get them

Nice, I think you’ll like them.

As an aside, did you go full mmc’s, or some sort of combo setup?

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

Prototype 125 F5’s in all my wedges. Very nice. Great feel. Easier on my joints. I actually have Sensicores in them as well.

Only reason they aren’t in all my irons is that they spin a bit too much for me. I’m very steep. I may give them another try hardstepped this time. The first time around I softstepped them because everyone was saying how crazy stiff they are. They aren’t.

I’ve got arthritis in my hands and left shoulder so I really would like to find some graphite to play in everything.

I've kept my Mizuno MP-32s around from new for over 9 seasons now, and really like them the past 3 in Recoils 125 F4.

This is primarily a practice range set, as the repeated higher pace of ball strikes there found me needing some joint relief getting well past 50.

They sit right in the middle of my two other irons set I play the course most with at 122g, so it works out well for my range to course transition in feel and saves me some personal wear.

They are great shafts that pair well with that head - a low/mid trajectory and I can draw the ball really easy with them.

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

I picked up a set of proto 125's in F4.

Looking forward to trying them with my Maxfli Revolution heads.

We'll see how they are!

I'm a bit tentative because I've only really played with DGS300 parallel shafts which are supposed to be quite a bit softer than DGS300 taper tip which might be closer to the recoils.

Regardless, I'll give them a try.

Been buying a lot of different shaft sets lately, so have a lot to choose from (typical golfwrx'er problem, I guess).

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

We'll see how they are!

I'm a bit tentative because I've only really played with DGS300 parallel shafts which are supposed to be quite a bit softer than DGS300 taper tip which might be closer to the recoils.

Been buying a lot of different shaft sets lately, so have a lot to choose from (typical golfwrx'er problem, I guess).

S300 in parallel softer than S300 taper tip?? Who told you this? I hope it wasnt on this site.. The short irons in .370 are a hair softer because they are a touch lighter shaft weight after tip trimming, but I wouldn’t say “quite a bit” softer. Most wouldn’t know.

I think it was from wishon bend profiles that I saw this difference that I'm mentioning between parallel and taper DGS300.

I guess I always wondered which iron shafts were being tested for Wishon's bend profile testing, especially when we are talking about parallel vs taper tip.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Prototype 125 F5’s in all my wedges. Very nice. Great feel. Easier on my joints. I actually have Sensicores in them as well.

Only reason they aren’t in all my irons is that they spin a bit too much for me. I’m very steep. I may give them another try hardstepped this time. The first time around I softstepped them because everyone was saying how crazy stiff they are. They aren’t.

I’ve got arthritis in my hands and left shoulder so I really would like to find some graphite to play in everything.

Have you tried RIP Tour 115? I believe you can still find a full set of X...

Edit: spoke too soon, shirtdaddy no longer has full sets in their eBay listings

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

We'll see how they are!

S300 in parallel softer than S300 taper tip?? Who told you this? I hope it wasnt on this site.. The short irons in .370 are a hair softer because they are a touch lighter shaft weight after tip trimming, but I wouldn’t say “quite a bit” softer. Most wouldn’t know.

The 370 DG shafts are softer tipped than the tapered DG. Butt frequency is roughly the same.

If anyone cares enough, I can dig up the Wishon profiles on each. <shrug>

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I have Recoil 95 F4s in MP 18 MBs and they are goooood. I'd recommend. They are super smooth and feel great. I hit them higher, straighter and further than anything i've play previously. Get em.

G425 LST 

G425 Max 14.5* 

G425 19* Hybrid 

TM P7MC 4-PW

RTX Zipcore 50*/54*/58*

PING Sigma2 Anser

We'll see how they are!

The 370 DG shafts are softer tipped than the tapered DG. Butt frequency is roughly the same.

Sure. We are agreeing on this. As I said, in a .370 shaft the actual tip section walls are slightly thinner than the TT of the same length, and thus more flexible. If you compare two 8 irons, after the .370 is tip trimmed of course, the .370 will be a hair softer than the TT 8 iron. Flexiblity is determined by shaft wall thickness and overall shaft diameter. The steps and the diameter is the same, the wall thickness is not.

The TT shafts are all constant weight. Each shaft weighs the same. .370 are not. They all start out as a 130 gram 1 iron blank and you trim off the tips to make the shaft you want. Once they are trimmed each shaft is progressively lighter and their tip area wall thickness is slightly thinner than in a constant weight .355 TT, hence they are more flexible.

What I said previously is that it is extremely subtle and most average golfers wouldn’t be able to tell in a real life application.

We'll see how they are!

Sure. We are agreeing on this. As I said, in a .370 shaft the actual tip section walls are slightly thinner than the TT of the same length, and thus more flexible. If you compare two 8 irons, after the .370 is tip trimmed of course, the .370 will be a hair softer than the TT 8 iron. Flexiblity is determined by shaft wall thickness and overall shaft diameter. The steps and the diameter is the same, the wall thickness is not.

The TT shafts are all constant weight. Each shaft weighs the same. .370 are not. They all start out as a 130 gram 2 iron blank and you trim off the tips to make the shaft you want. Once they are trimmed each shaft is progressively lighter and their tip area wall thickness is slightly thinner than in a constant weight .355 TT, hence they are more flexible.

What I said previously is that it is extremely subtle and most average golfers wouldn’t be able to tell in a real life application.

I'd assumed we were largely on the same page. :)

I'd always taken the difference to be the result of the nature of the tapered DG tip, tapering constantly from .355 to .390 or .395 at the bottom of the first step. That extra diameter has to have some effect.

Of course, DG subflex theory being what it is, the wall thickness is also playing a part.

For whatever it's worth, here are the respective DGS Wishon profiles:

DGS300 taper 222 260 314 401 571 962

DGS300 parallel 224 266 311 394 552 903

KBS Tour taper S 226 263 330 409 564 900

edit: I added KBS Tour stiff for fun. Interesting when you compare it to DGS parallel, wouldn't you say?

Mostly wall thickness.

A Dg s300 .355 9 iron shaft before butt cutting is 130 grams.

A Dg s300 .370 9 iron shaft before butt cutting, but AFTER tip trimming the suggested 4 inches is about 118 grams.

The 12 grams of material you trim off the tip on the .370 is a significant amount of metal. That 12 grams is distributed throughout the walls of the .355 shaft because it is made shorter to begin with and all of that metal stays part of the shaft.

Conversely, a 3 iron shaft in .370 only has 1 inch trimmed off the original blank. It’s only about 3 grams lighter than its .355 counterpart and the wall thickness is going to be incredibly similar to each other. Flex becomes more similar as the corresponding shafts gets longer.

Picture a block of taffy. You stretch it to 9 iron length and stop. That’s a .355 9 iron.

If You stretch the same block to the length of a one iron and then chop off 4 inches of the tip and that’s a .370 9 iron. There’s physically less material in the .370 9 iron, making the walls inevitably thinner and weaker.

This is why most pros and very good amateurs, including myself, refuse to play .370 descending weight shafts made from a 1 iron or 2 iron blank.

There’s absolutely no way I want my 9 iron shaft significantly lighter than my 3 iron shaft. Additionally, As the previous post that got all this started also suggested, I find .370 shafts to be too soft in the short irons for my taste compared to their .355 counterparts.

But again, full circle, can the average recreational golfer sense this weight decrease and slightly softer flex in the shorter irons??? I don’t believe most can. I can and I hate it, but I’ve been playing 35 years and I have been a +2 teaching pro back in the 90’s. My sense of feel and weight and flex is more developed than most.

Anyways,....we are probably making Peoples heads explode. This is way more information than most people need. It lends itself to people overthinking their equipment. But hey....that’s what WRX is all about.

Count me in as going 900HM with Recoil 95s this year (98% sure). I am still going to try some Accra i95 and i105 CWT just to see. I've always liked the smoothness of the Accra's in the hybrids I tried, so I'll give them a fair shake.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium