2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Alberta Courses

6t4gt0

15 hours ago, dale4ace said:

looking to get a fairway wood reshafted and don't really trust g-town. Anyone have good recommendations to get it shafted in Calgary?  

I reshaft/regrip all my own stuff because I don’t trust GT, and Modern usually takes quite a while. That said, Modern is REALLY good and if you can wait, they’re the way to go in town.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

Kyle Berkshire and Max Boucher out playing some Calgary courses this week. 

Berkshire set the world record for outdoor ballspeed at mickelson today! 

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

12 hours ago, Kale_m said:

Kyle Berkshire and Max Boucher out playing some Calgary courses this week. 

Berkshire set the world record for outdoor ballspeed at mickelson today! 

He must love the density altitude here, same as playing in Denver on most days.

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

On 6/21/2022 at 9:16 AM, mikedejong33 said:

By the way, for anyone planning on heading to Invermere in the short term, Greywolf was in terrible shape. The only part of the course that had grass essentially were the greens, which were nice. Fairways, tees, etc. were completely dead or very recently re-sodded. I think they have only been open for 2 weeks or so, and they probably shouldn't be now based on what we saw last week.

That’s the 3rd maybe 4th best “golf course” in that area regardless

eagle ranch

copper 

Grey Wolf

3 hours ago, Brooks_Cupcake said:

eagle ranch

copper 

Grey Wolf

I agree 100%

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 Max

Fairway: Ping G425 Max

Hybrid: Adams Pro Black

Irons (5 to U): Ping I525

Wedges (56, 60): Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth

Putter: Bettinardi BB5

On 7/10/2022 at 2:24 PM, specimania said:

Bugs are so bad. I think I am faint from blood loss. The deet does nothing. 

Hope you all had a great day. 

Olds GC is in great shape right now. If any of you have not played it, it is wonderful. 

Off to Mckenzie meadows today. Hope it stays dry. 

Zero bugs in Edmonton... strange. I haven’t used spray a single time this year, just lucky I guess.

15 hours ago, capking said:

Are you playing only at the simulator? I’ve been getting eaten alive in and around Yeg. 

No! Played this morning at 7am, didn’t see any.

On 7/10/2022 at 2:24 PM, specimania said:

Bugs are so bad. I think I am faint from blood loss. The deet does nothing. 

Hope you all had a great day. 

Olds GC is in great shape right now. If any of you have not played it, it is wonderful. 

Off to Mckenzie meadows today. Hope it stays dry. 

played the mens open there last weekend. The course is mint! The bugs were only bad in the shade in the trees. Was in there a few times. 

playing wolf creek tomorrow for the first time! Pumped! 

Tri-hot double wide 

On 7/5/2022 at 10:06 AM, Brooks_Cupcake said:

eagle ranch

copper 

Grey Wolf

Eagle Ranch is not better than Grey Wolf. 

Copper Point

Greywolf

Radium Springs

Fairmont Mountainside

Fairmont Riverside

Windermere Valley

Mini putt in Invermere

Eagle Ranch 

• Like 1

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's

3 hours ago, Double K said:

Eagle Ranch is not better than Grey Wolf. 

Copper Point

Greywolf

Radium Springs

Fairmont Mountainside

Fairmont Riverside

Windermere Valley

Mini putt in Invermere

Eagle Ranch 

Absolutely. From a pure playability and conditions perspective.

Grey Wolf is the best from a scenery perspective but from a pure golf perspective it’s 3rd at best.

Played the Old course at wolf creek for the first time. Meh. I was expecting some magical place but it is ok. Tough layout , conditions are meh. Shot 80. Bet I could shave 5 strokes the next time after seeing the place once. 

• Like 1

Tri-hot double wide 

48 minutes ago, Kale_m said:

Played the Old course at wolf creek for the first time. Meh. I was expecting some magical place but it is ok. Tough layout , conditions are meh. Shot 80. Bet I could shave 5 strokes the next time after seeing the place once. 

I played there Saturday as well. Played both courses actually. 10 to 15 years ago that place was special, it was so pure. Now it feels beat up and run down. No money to put back into it. It wasn't in great shape either... I shot 80 on the nose as well haha, lost 2 balls about a foot off the fairway that cost me. Played better in the afternoon on the Links course.

So far I’ve played eagle and Greywolf this week.

eagle was not as pristine as it has been in the past. Still ok. It was super windy. 
grey wolf was ok, scenic as usual. Some king oatches if fairway that was redone. The front was worse than the back if I recall (it was 33 and I had some bevs). 
playing copper today. It is my fav on the interior bc/exterior ab side of things. 

• Like 1

Considering a move to the Calgary area. Wondering if anyone can provide some colour on the private courses in/around the city? A pure power ranking would be tremendously appreciated.

I've played a few (Earl Grey, Pinebrook, Priddis) and have a general handle on waitlists, prices, facilities, etc. But curious to hear from more informed sources. 

On 7/22/2022 at 3:01 PM, samwm said:

Considering a move to the Calgary area. Wondering if anyone can provide some colour on the private courses in/around the city? A pure power ranking would be tremendously appreciated.

I've played a few (Earl Grey, Pinebrook, Priddis) and have a general handle on waitlists, prices, facilities, etc. But curious to hear from more informed sources. 

Pure architecture rank.

Calgary CC

Redwood Meadows - not really Calgary I know but close enough and significantly better than the rest.

Priddis - also not really Calgary but again the golf here is dire from a design perspective. 

These are realistically the only 3 with architectural merit in the area until you get out to Wolf Creek or Red Deer CC

Facility's / Access Rank.

Glencoe - its 54 holes and a great range lots of options to play. 

Priddis - Downside is its a hike to get out there unless you live in the south.

Calgary CC - fewest active members of the 18 courses.

Active membership / Best place to get a game rank. (this includes semi privates)

Country Hills - 36 Holes very strong group of players but they don't get out much.

Earl Grey - has descended into the madness of no knowing if its a family club or plays club with a Food and Beverage / events guy as the GM.  Still as very good players and a solid practice facility.  On the harder side of places to get a time due to the huge membership for what is realistically 18 holes.

Inglewood - Honorary mention. Its noisy and short but they have an amigos game there that's the quickest way to lose your shirt in the city.  Deep group of active players due to affordability  / unreal greens.

Places to avoid

Anything owned by Windmill or Play Golf Calgary just say no to that ownership / membership model.

The Winston - (semi private) very good golf course in great shape but is having big issues with clubhouse and cashflow.  Could be a very different situation in a few years but right now stay away.

A safe place to land

Canyon Meadows - decent course good club but very blah.  You'll have good time and enjoy the golf but its nothing special.

Willow Park -  Same as Canyon but better condition and older membership.

When it comes to golf in Calgary its just not that outstanding.  The scene is solid and active but compared to the rest of Canada the golf is uninspired and more expensive than it should be for what you get. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver: 10.5* Taylormade Stealth GD Tour AD IZ 75x 
3 Iron: Titleist 712u Tour Issue S400
Irons: 4-PW 620 MB Nippon 125x
Wedges: SM9 50.08F 54.10S 58.08M S400
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Mid Slant

23 hours ago, golfpunk59 said:

Pure architecture rank.

Calgary CC

Redwood Meadows - not really Calgary I know but close enough and significantly better than the rest.

Priddis - also not really Calgary but again the golf here is dire from a design perspective. 

These are realistically the only 3 with architectural merit in the area until you get out to Wolf Creek or Red Deer CC

Facility's / Access Rank.

Glencoe - its 54 holes and a great range lots of options to play. 

Priddis - Downside is its a hike to get out there unless you live in the south.

Calgary CC - fewest active members of the 18 courses.

Active membership / Best place to get a game rank. (this includes semi privates)

Country Hills - 36 Holes very strong group of players but they don't get out much.

Earl Grey - has descended into the madness of no knowing if its a family club or plays club with a Food and Beverage / events guy as the GM.  Still as very good players and a solid practice facility.  On the harder side of places to get a time due to the huge membership for what is realistically 18 holes.

Inglewood - Honorary mention. Its noisy and short but they have an amigos game there that's the quickest way to lose your shirt in the city.  Deep group of active players due to affordability  / unreal greens.

Places to avoid

Anything owned by Windmill or Play Golf Calgary just say no to that ownership / membership model.

The Winston - (semi private) very good golf course in great shape but is having big issues with clubhouse and cashflow.  Could be a very different situation in a few years but right now stay away.

A safe place to land

Canyon Meadows - decent course good club but very blah.  You'll have good time and enjoy the golf but its nothing special.

Willow Park -  Same as Canyon but better condition and older membership.

When it comes to golf in Calgary its just not that outstanding.  The scene is solid and active but compared to the rest of Canada the golf is uninspired and more expensive than it should be for what you get. 

Thoughts on The Hamptons and Canyon Meadows?

Of the privates, which course has the best (condition and fastest rolling) greens? Which also would be considered the hardest? Too lazy to look up slopes : )

Which course is the hardest to get on, and/or join?

TM Qi10LS 8*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Series 70 Flex-X

PXG 0341 X Gen 2 3W 15*, Devotion 75 Flex 04 (S) 

Titleist T-100 (2019) 3-PW, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 Flex S

Titleist Vokey SM9 50* 08F, 56* 14F, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 125 Wedge Flex S

Titleist Scotty Cameron 2021 Phantom X 5.5

18 hours ago, jibbs1082 said:

Of the privates, which course has the best (condition and fastest rolling) greens? Which also would be considered the hardest? Too lazy to look up slopes : )

Hampton's layout stinks, I like Canyon. Hardest course is Glencoe forest, hardest to join is the Country Club I'd imagine. 

• Like 1

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

On 7/27/2022 at 3:29 PM, jibbs1082 said:

Hamptons is a horrible layout and is part of the Windmill golf group.  Its one to avoid.

Canyon Meadows is a nice enough track with a solid membership and nice facilities but it wont blow you away with anything.  You also lose the course for more time than any other private in the city because of the Shaw charity classic every year.

Best conditioned course in the city is the Calgary Golf Club.  They probably have the fastest greens as well but they are poa and take a lot more work in this climate to be as good as they are.  

Fastest greens every day you play in the city is probably Country Club, Glencoe, Willow and Inglewood.

Hardest track in the city is Glencoe's forest course and its not really close.

The only places that have a long waitlist would be The Country Club, 9-10 years right now and  Earl grey as well could be a 1-2 year wait list.

Basically everywhere else should be relatively accessible to join if you stump up the cash.

Price wise for joining

Country Club is 60k

Glencoe is hard to figure out since the downtown club and golf are separate for some people and intertwined for others.  I think they just upped the price this year somewhere in the 60k range for golf right now and with that you have to be at least a social member at the downtown club as well.

Earl Grey is 52k no equity. You just burn it when you join.

Canyon is 38k

Willow Park 25k

Silver Springs 27k

Priddis, Country Hills and Redwood are all in the 10-15k range depending on if you buy from the shareholder or the club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver: 10.5* Taylormade Stealth GD Tour AD IZ 75x 
3 Iron: Titleist 712u Tour Issue S400
Irons: 4-PW 620 MB Nippon 125x
Wedges: SM9 50.08F 54.10S 58.08M S400
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Mid Slant

Priddis hands down. 

love that track 

country club, meh. It is ok. Didn’t blow my socks off 

willow park , meh 

country hill is good, like it 

if I join again I will go to delacour. Love the course , don’t care about the clubhouse stuff as long as they have cold drinks and hotdogs at the turn 

• Like 2

Tri-hot double wide 

Also I played rivers edge the other night for the first time in a long time… people must not know how to fix ball marks there wow… worst I have ever seen for divots on greens ..

Tri-hot double wide 

I'm in the south so I joined Priddis and have enjoyed it. Tee times are easy to come by and we don't lottery on weekends like Country Hills (love the Talons course). No social club/hoity-toity BS. The only incredibly arrogant guy I met out there was swiftly punted from the club. 😂  

If I was in the north I'd go Country Hills or Delacour. Delacour is a players course, great layout and well cared for. Wind/bugs are the downsides but it's hard to completely avoid those anywhere in this province. Country Hills has 2 pretty different feeling courses and if you have length, the 7200 on Talons will test you plenty.

60k is steep for our season. Nothing against Glencoe, Earl Grey, or the Country Club. You're just not getting that much more for your $$$. I'd go Glencoe over Earl Grey if I went that route. 

• Thanks 1

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus - 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x  

Taylormade Stealth 2 - 16.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7x  

Taylormade Stealth 2 - 21* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8x  
Ping I20 (4 - GW) - KBS Tour 130 X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Vokey SM4 Nickel - 56.14 - KBS Tour X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Vokey SM4 Nickel - 60.10 - KBS Tour X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Scotty Phantom X 7  

Titleist Pro V1 Ball | NO1 50-PRO Grips | Nikon Coolshot Pro II Rangefinder

On 7/22/2022 at 3:01 PM, samwm said:

Haven’t been lucky enough to play Calgary. 

If I had money to join, it would be Pinebrook hands down. They just redid the greens and has one of the better practice areas aside from Glencoe. 

I wouldn’t join a Windmill or play golf Calgary course if it was free. 

Barry and Slade have been bad for golf in Calgary. 

• Thanks 1

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's