2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

New team event coming to LPGA ?

From what I can decipher from social media, looks like there could be a new event next year sponsored by Dow, it will be "new and fun" , so my guess is a team event similar to the Zurich Classic.

And looks like it could be in the Michigan area, which already has the Volvik Championship and the Meijer Classic. I don't see how the area can support three events. My guess is Volvik not renewing its (3 years ?) contract next year?

If indeed it's true, let the fun begins and start speculating on the teams!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I will start speculating away anyway.

Captain Obvious:

The Kordas

The Jutanugarns

MFWM (my future wife Michelle) and DK

The probable:

Queen Bee and SYR

Lexi and Crusty

Charley Hull and Georgia Hall/Mel Reid

Tiffany Joh and Jane Park

Lincicome and Lang

Aza Munoz and Carlota

Stacy and Gerina

Paula and Morgan

Could happen:

Nordquist and Pernilla Lindberg

Lizette and Angel Yin

Lydia and Megan Khang

Emily Pedersen and Nichole Broch Larsen

Sandra Gal and Olafia Kristinsdottir

Minjee and Su Oh

Outside the box:

Juli Inkster and Laura Davies

Kerri Webb and Annika

Shanshan and Yani

SHP and Jennifer Song

Brooke Henderson and Alena Sharp

Jacqui Concolino and Alison Lee

Too bad it's open to LPGA players only. I'd like to see Brooke and her sister tee it up.

In Gee and Sung Hyun?

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

From what I can decipher from social media, looks like there could be a new event next year sponsored by Dow, it will be "new and fun" , so my guess is a team event similar to the Zurich Classic.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!

Can't get enough of individual stroke play? :boredom:

Well it is the best format, by far and as a matter of fact, yes I wish there was some of it going on right now.

I guess when it comes to team golf events, when you take away the veiled xenophobia and phony jingoism, they tend to fall flat IMO.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!

Well it is the best format, by far and as a matter of fact, yes I wish there was some of it going on right now.

I guess when it comes to team golf events, when you take away the veiled xenophobia and phony jingoism, they tend to fall flat IMO.

And what kind of "veiled xenophobia and phony jingoism" are you expecting or anticipating?

I think a team event for the LPGA is the correct move ... let's see what happens with it. I would like to see some different formats throughout the event ... perhaps scramble on THURSDAY, alternate shot (foursome) on FRIDAY, and then BEST BALL (Four Ball) on the Weekend.

Offer some CME points (reduced format such as the Zürich event in New Orleans), with a decent purse and they could definitely make a go of it. I do think that they could broaden this event to include players from the LET, KLPGA and the JLPGA too ... it would give it that international flavour that would open it up to more sponsorship dollars from places like Japan and South Korea.

As for my fantasy league team, I would love to see Brooke Henderson play with either Lydia Ko or Minjee Lee! I think the Brooke and Lydia team would be a terrific team and a nice way of packaging two of the more/most successful teenage players to have emerged on the LPGA.

At least in this format the players can choose their own teams. Of course, nothing is preventing players from pairing up with friends from their own country. Even so, at least we'll get a chance to see players that aren't represented in the International Crown, e.g. Lydia.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!

I like steak too, but not every night.

Too bad it's open to LPGA players only.

In Gee and Sung Hyun?

Yes, a shame.

I would have liked to see Ha Na Jang extend an olive branch to In Gee Chun. :taunt:

I think these pairings would be ideal too.

Alison Lee and Suzann Pettersen

Shanshan Feng and Stacy Lewis

Charley Hull and Paula Creamer

Laura Davies and Cristie Kerr

Michelle Wie and Danielle Ammaccapane or Annika

Christina Kim and Brittney Lincicome or Caroline Masson

Lexi Thompson and So Yeon Ryu

Am I missing any other obvious pairings? :taunt:

As for my fantasy league team, I would love to see Brooke Henderson play with either Lydia Ko or Minjee Lee!

I think the Brooke and Lydia team would be a terrific team and a nice way of packaging two of the more/most successful teenage players to have emerged on the LPGA.

I realize that it's only a fantasy pick...but I would never see Lydia paired up with Brooke....I don't think they are friends and I think they are kind of rivals.

At the time in 2012...when everyone thought that Lydia was the youngest to win a women's pro event....I'm pretty sure that Brooke beat Lydia by a few months of winning a pro event (no...not a LPGA...maybe a Canadian women's pro event).

In 2016....Brooke scrambled and drained a 10 foot putt on 18 in regulation to save par and Lydia missed a 4 foot putt on 17 and then Brooke won the KPMG on the 1st playoff hole.

I really think that if Lydia won that KPMG...I had a feeling that she might have won the USWO...she did contend in the 2016 USWO

If anything...I could see Minjee partner with Lydia...I think they are pretty close and I think Minjee is also friends with Sura Ko.

I'm not necessarily sure Minjee is overly close with fellow countrywomen...Su Oh or Hannah Green.

Lol. I think Mi Hyang would be a better pairing with Stacy.

Also, Haru and Christie would be a good rematch.

1) Lol. I think Mi Hyang would be a better pairing with Stacy.

2) Also, Haru and Christie would be a good rematch.

1) YES!!!....I forgot about that...such a classic that few noticed...you are good at finding things...how about finding the clip on that situation on 18 and post it here...I'd love to see it again...I recorded it but it has long been deleted....but I must have watched it 6 times in laughter before I deleted it....it was so funny.

2) not much drama here. Nomura used to have quite a boisterous loop...I think he now caddies for Nelly ...I'm sure he told Nomura to just ignore Kerr's BS and that Christie would slow play herself and lose...lol.

I hope that the ladies will mix up their pairings from time to time, especially in the non International Crown years. For example, we've seen So Yeon and Inbee pair up a couple times already. Maybe in an off year So Yeon and Aza Munoz will team up. Unless a duo is an absolute fan favorite, switching things up could add some excitement and keep the event fresh. Michelle Wie and Marina Alex are good friends, so are Danielle Kang and Lydia. Both could be entertaing pairs.

I like the Brooke and Lydia pairing. The two of them may be shut out of the International Crown for a while.

1) Lol. I think Mi Hyang would be a better pairing with Stacy.

2) Also, Haru and Christie would be a good rematch.

1) YES!!!....I forgot about that...such a classic that few noticed...you are good at finding things...how about finding the clip on that situation on 18 and post it here...I'd love to see it again...I recorded it but it has long been deleted....but I must have watched it 6 times in laughter before I deleted it....it was so funny.

2) not much drama here. Nomura used to have quite a boisterous loop...I think he now caddies for Nelly ...I'm sure he told Nomura to just ignore Kerr's BS and that Christie would slow play herself and lose...lol.

Regarding Nomura's caddie, if it was him, he did some very fine work in the play-off epic with Kerr. Do you know what is up with Haru at the moment? Her form is awful. She could just be working through swing changes for all I know.

Not really a fan of the Zurich and probably won't be a fan of this. I would rather see a event with a similar in format to WGC Match Play event, that's enjoyable and exciting. And nobody please reference that joke of an event that Lorena O puts on in Mexico, that we don't get see a single shot of on TV.

Maybe I'm just too cynical and the predictable pairings heading to the tee with some great walk up music, is exactly what I need to enhance my LPGA viewing enjoyment :russian_roulette:

The problem with traditional match play is that it can become a snoozefest rather quickly. A few too many upsets and your favorite players are slamming trunks. I like what the PGA has done with the WGC match play event. Three days of group play means you get to see your favorite players for at least three days.

The problem with traditional match play is that it can become a snoozefest rather quickly. A few too many upsets and your favorite players are slamming trunks. I like what the PGA has done with the WGC match play event. Three days of group play means you get to see your favorite players for at least three days.

That's why I mentioned the WGC format, the event this season I didn't really have favorite although I don't really have a favorite per se on the PGA, just many compelling guys I like to watch and it's similar to the LPGA but I do have a couple favorite that I do wanna see do good or win every week lol. But the WGC was compelling this year, from Bubba tearing the course apart, to Ian Poulter trying to get into the MAsters and Justin Thomas being able to take over #1 if he won. MAtch play is great IMO but you are exactly right, we need to see all the competitors for 3 days before they are eliminated and allows stories to be built around those who make playoffs so to speak.

How about a golf sixes type of team event?

That's a neat format, but I would like to see it stay "exclusive" on the LET/European Tour ... they have developed/incorporated it for a major golf tournament and I think that it should be developed as one of their signature events. I do realize that this event is organized by the European Tour and not the LET, but the LET members were invited to participate this year and I think that's terrific.

Wat chu talkin about Willis?

You mean a match play final with Beth Allen vs. Celine Herbin won't drive viewership?

And looks like it could be in the Michigan area, which already has the Volvik Championship and the Meijer Classic. I don't see how the area can support three events. My guess is Volvik not renewing its (3 years ?) contract next year?

You're probably right. I don't know where else in Michigan they would have it at otherwise. The PGA Tour is looking to add a tournament in Detroit, Cavs owner is funding it.