What's your minimum for Hall of Fame

playar32

18 wins on US soil with 2 majors

--- or ---

30 wins internationally with at least 10 on US soil with 2 majors

The Players is a joke and shouldn't be counted.

Fred Couples should not be in.

How about Bernhard Langer?

Two Masters

one other US Tour win, the Heritage the week after his 1985 Masters win

40 more European Tour wins (second on the all time list)

Order of Merit winner twice

European Tour POY twice

reached #1 in the OWGR (indeed the first man ranked #1)

10 time member of the Ryder Cup team

I'm not going to count his Senior Tour stuff, but he seems like a HOF member to me.

If Langer isn't a HOFer, go ahead and deadbolt the doors.

He is already in- http://www.worldgolfhalloffame.org/bernhard-langer/

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 tour wins and 2 majors for me. Other wise almost every 1 major winner out there is in.

agree with this. And Tiger being the GOAT should have veto power on all nominations.

How sad is this post?

I'll agree with ya there. Can't you see it? "Ef Phil-cannot stand the guy lol-he's out" :)

The 2 majors rule currently rules out players like Garcia, Day, DJ, Stenson, Thomas and Rose.

Some elected players would be ineligible such as De Vincenzo, Kite, Nagle, Charles, Couples, Venturi, Love III and Woosnam.

If there was a such thing as a HOF dinner, I wouldn't be seating any of those guys at the same table as Nicklaus, Player, or Woods.

Nor with Floyd, Mickelson and Trevino, for that matter.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

15 tour wins and 2 majors for me. Other wise almost every 1 major winner out there is in.

agree with this. And Tiger being the GOAT should have veto power on all nominations.

How sad is this post?

Completely ridiculous. Besides, he is four majors short of Nicklaus.

Titleist ProV1x

I think the 15 wins is legit, but 2 majors...? If Danny Willett won the Master's again somehow and didn't sniff the top 50 in another tourney , I don't think he'd be HOF worthy.

I think if you bumped it up to 3 major's or 4 majors if 1 of those was a Player's, without any other tourney wins... then I think I could be okay with that. Two just isn't enough to be considered one of the games best.

how many people have won 2 or more majors?

can't be that many. That is quit a feat imo. I think the US and Brits Am should count too.

counting just the pro majors, 81 men have two majors

Amateurs getting a majors boost if we count those two tournaments.

Jack goes up to 20 at #1

Tiger stays at #2 with 17

Bobby Jones a clear third with 13

John Ball moves all the way up to T5 with Hogan and Player with his 8 British Amateurs and 9 overall

Arnie goes to 8 and ties Tom Watson

Harold Hilton goes from 2 to 7

Phil picks up one to go to 6

Jerome Travers and Lawson Little go from 1 to 5 (Little won the US and British Amateurs back to back in 1934 and 1935, a very impressive feat)

Sir Michael Bonallack has 5 British Amateurs

cool info, thanks.

How sad is this post?

OK Jack can have veto power too so u all don't get ur panties in a bunch.

How is 3 points not a good idea with 10 points per major(including US Am and British AM) and 1 point per regular Euro or PGA tour wins?

I would say someone with a US am, 2 majors, and 3 tour wins is legit hall of fame quality.

How sad is this post?

How is 3 points not a good idea with 10 points per major(including US Am and British AM) and 1 point per regular Euro or PGA tour wins?

I would say someone with a US am, 2 majors, and 3 tour wins is legit hall of fame quality.

And 10 points per Senior Major!

Langer => UberGOAT

How sad is this post?

Personally I don't see how an amateur is worth more than a tour win. Historically it is but not value for getting in. Perhaps there should be a separate amateur wing.

I think 15 wins is a solid measuring stick, 2 majors as well, but I'd count The Players as a major, since IMO and many other peoples.... it should be a major and is considered the unoffical "5th Major" anyway.

I feel for the players who have more than 15 wins and 1 or no majors, but if you want the HOF to be for the best of the best... there has to be a fairly high bar to get in.

Personally I don't see how an amateur is worth more than a tour win. Historically it is but not value for getting in. Perhaps there should be a separate amateur wing.

it respects the history of the game and two of the oldest tournaments in golf. HOF is not just for tour pros.....

someone who can win 4 us ams or 4 british am or a combo is one hell of a champion.....

How sad is this post?

I think Jack would veto that.

Titleist ProV1x

it respects the history of the game and two of the oldest tournaments in golf. HOF is not just for tour pros.....

someone who can win 4 us ams or 4 british am or a combo is one hell of a champion.....

I understand and agree. That's why I said seriousness wing. Or barring that, separate qualification standards. If a Deanne Beman has more qualifying points from playing record than a player with lifetime membership on tour from 20 wins the points are skewed.

In not sure, but the reporter telling Webb in the post win press conference that he's now in the discussion for the HOF seems a little off base. A US Open and Players is huge and a career that a ton of players would take, but a total of 5 wins is not HOF.

But a US Open win and Players win does get you on the ballot.

The only problem I have with hard and fast numbers is that wins are getting spread out among more and more players as the depth in golf increases. Who is likely the better player

A wins 24 times no majors between 1924-1936

B win 21 times from 1972-1992 one major

C wins 17 times one major 1995-2015

Personally I would have it C>B>A with C and B quite close. And quite a bit ahead of A.

Furyk-Wadkins-Smith(MacDonald) for those wondering.

If the Hall of Fame went by the numbers being quoted in a few years it would be the cobweb hall of fame. AKA the ghosts of golf past.

Macdonald Smith has more PGA Tour wins than anyone not in the HOF at 24. He never entered the PGA Championship, I guess he didn't like match play.

He had 14 top 5 finishes in the majors including his only Masters appearance.

He is a member of the PGA Hall of Fame.

Johnny Farrell (22/1) , Willie Macfarlane (21/1) and Bill Melhourn (20/0) are from the same era and are the next three down on the all time wins list not in the HOF.

The last winner of twenty tour events not in the Hall of Fame is Doug Sanders. Everyone else in the top 37 is in, including Harry Cooper with no majors and 31 wins.

And of those top 37 you mentioned just five were born from 1950 on. Heck 3 were born in 1912 alone but just five in the last 68 years? That would include players that have been retired for essentially 20 years. Does that not show a good reason to change requirements? Or do you believe all the good players were in the past?

No, I do agree with your C, B and A above. And D (as in Dustin) has passed Furyk. I was just posting some win totals for people who may not be aware of them.

In not sure, but the reporter telling Webb in the post win press conference that he's now in the discussion for the HOF seems a little off base. A US Open and Players is huge and a career that a ton of players would take, but a total of 5 wins is not HOF.

The only problem I have with hard and fast numbers is that wins are getting spread out among more and more players as the depth in golf increases. Who is likely the better player

Personally I would have it C>B>A with C and B quite close. And quite a bit ahead of A.

If the Hall of Fame went by the numbers being quoted in a few years it would be the cobweb hall of fame. AKA the ghosts of golf past.

Macdonald Smith has more PGA Tour wins than anyone not in the HOF at 24. He never entered the PGA Championship, I guess he didn't like match play.

Johnny Farrell (22/1) , Willie Macfarlane (21/1) and Bill Melhourn (20/0) are from the same era and are the next three down on the all time wins list not in the HOF.

The last winner of twenty tour events not in the Hall of Fame is Doug Sanders. Everyone else in the top 37 is in, including Harry Cooper with no majors and 31 wins.

And of those top 37 you mentioned just five were born from 1950 on. Heck 3 were born in 1912 alone but just five in the last 68 years? That would include players that have been retired for essentially 20 years. Does that not show a good reason to change requirements? Or do you believe all the good players were in the past?

No, I do agree with your C, B and A above. And D (as in Dustin) has passed Furyk. I was just posting some win totals for people who may not be aware of them.

DJ is the same as Furyk in wins. 17 with one major. Furyk is easy to dismiss because of the funky swing. That said DJ is on pace by starts to double up plus on Furyks numbers!

So many posts I didn't catch anything about Padraig Harrington? Is this pretty much a given?

3 majors and I think 15-18 wins on Euro/PGA tour?

3 majors

3 other PGA Tour wins

12 more European Tour wins

twice European Golfer of the Year

PGA Player of the Year in 2008

6 time Ryder Cup player

for his era (Tiger!) that should be good enough

DJ is the same as Furyk in wins. 17 with one major. Furyk is easy to dismiss because of the funky swing. That said DJ is on pace by starts to double up plus on Furyks numbers!

How many current players do you think will have twenty total PGA Tour wins to add to the 37 we mentioned earlier?

Dustin (17) seems like a good bet

Rory (14) still looks good

Adam Scott (13) probably comes up short

Jason Day (12) IF healthy I think he gets there

Zach (12) at 42 years old, no

Bubba (11) almost 40, not likely

Jordan (11) some insist he's washed up at 25, but I think he'll get there

Sergio (10) time is not on his side

Justin Thomas (8) I think he gets 20 wins too

Justin Rose (8) nope

Patrick Reed (6), Hideki (5) and Jon Rahm (2) might be worth considering

I think we can find at least five in this group.

Hal Sutton

14 Tour wins

1 major - PGA

PGA POY

4 Ryder Cup teams, 1 Ryder Cup Captain

TPC winner

Tour Championship winner

and a US Amateur Champion

He had a very odd career, hot start up to age 28, disappeared for 9 years, another good run in his early 40s. He beat a 43 year old Nicklaus in the 1983 PGA then took down Peak Tiger 1.0 in the 2000 Players Championship.

He's definitely near the Couples/ Pavin/ Weiskopf cut line.

2 majors plus 15 other wins is my minimum. But some of those “other” wins need to be top tier tournaments. WGC, Players or several of The Invitationals.

Multiple successful team competitions. A Hero moment in a Ryder Cup helps the cause.

Winning the FedEx Cup or Vardon Trophy will add something to consider.

Popularity. Freddie Couples was popular and that helped him as much as his wins. He stayed highly visible for years after his prime and that probably kept his name in the conversation amongst the voters.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

I think one thing we are all overlooking is the entire career in its context...Weiskopf had the unfortunate position of being around during the Nicklaus- Miller years, without that he is a strong third in that era...

When you realize that Nelson- Hogan played in the same era , alone they would have been immortal

same goes for Mickelsen, he would have been No. 1 in the world except for the fact he played at the same time of TW

look at the entire body of work , dont let yourself make benchmark stats to figure who belongs in the HOF

So many posts I didn't catch anything about Padraig Harrington? Is this pretty much a given?

3 majors

3 other PGA Tour wins

6 time Ryder Cup player

Not bagging on paddy but didnt Sergio hand him 2 of those majors? maybe give Sergio the knod too for assists

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

If they keep this pace, at a certain point in the future everyone will be in the HoF

Not everybody-just the best of an era. Same as before. Only the numbers have changed a bit.

How many current players do you think will have twenty total PGA Tour wins to add to the 37 we mentioned earlier?

Dustin (17) seems like a good bet

Rory (14) still looks good

Adam Scott (13) probably comes up short

Jason Day (12) IF healthy I think he gets there

Zach (12) at 42 years old, no

Bubba (11) almost 40, not likely

Jordan (11) some insist he's washed up at 25, but I think he'll get there

Sergio (10) time is not on his side

Justin Thomas (8) I think he gets 20 wins too

Justin Rose (8) nope

Patrick Reed (6), Hideki (5) and Jon Rahm (2) might be worth considering

I think we can find at least five in this group.

It's possible. The wins are getting more spread out. Take Tiger and Phil down a few notches and Els, Furyk, Sergio even might have 20.

I like the idea of the point system because i think a Hall of Fame should be something that is extremely difficult to get into. It should be just the ones who were the absolute best players of their era, not all the guys who were pretty good and had a big fan base.

I think that part of the problem they have run into is that they want to induct people every year and since they got so many of the biggest names all at the same time years ago (Look at how stacked the class of 1974 was) they have had to do things like lower the standards to get in or induct guys when they were still active on tour like Phil when the age minimum was still 40.

3 majors

3 other PGA Tour wins

6 time Ryder Cup player

Not bagging on paddy but didnt Sergio hand him 2 of those majors? maybe give Sergio the knod too for assists

Possibly the 2007 Open, but even then Paddy shot 67 on Sunday... despite his Van de Velde impression on 18. Everyone just remembers Serge missing that 10-footer on 18 for the win.

2008 PGA Harrington goes 66-66 over the weekend, finishing the last three holes (the 5th, 6th, and 1st most difficult holes that week) in -1 while Garcia and Curtis both go +2 and +1 respectively over the same stretch... IMO he won that one.