MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

And how much speed would you pick up if you just did yoga or light dumbbell work or cardio 2-3x a week?

Like I said, I'm not saying it doesnt work, I just bet getting stronger/more flexible would have just as big an effect.

This is exactly why I want to improve my overall strength. I need to strengthen my core and lift some weights badly.

Make sure you guys take a picture when you hit your speed on trackman.

I would bet a month's salary that at any given time, people's on-course non-measured swing speed is 4-5 mph slower than it is when they're on a range/simulator knowingly with some sort of device measuring swing speed, especially when their stated intention is to be able to swing a driver faster than they do now.

And dc and Fabb are the two most fragile people here.

Last week, I was starting to swing faster on the trackman over the session. I don't think it's an ego thing where I was swinging harder to pump up the number. It's that there's a tight feedback loop in terms of what does and doesn't increase your speed.

Going from 100 to 105mph is only 5%. Can you really feel that and work toward it on your own? Maybe some people can. I can't do it well. I could get a feel that generated more club head speed, but it didn't necessarily "feel fast".

I think it comes down to:

1) You want to swing faster on trackman (consciously or subconsciously) to see the higher number

and/or

2) You see bunkers/hazards/OB/woods on the course, and your swing (consciously or subconsciously) gets more defensive and slows down.

I think that a good/great/professional golfer can, swing after swing, "let it go" no matter the potential for a negative outcome is the biggest overlooked trait they possess. They practice swinging fast and then actually translate that swing on the course.

I don't think I swing any slower on the course than I do on the range.

But I bet you swing slower on the course than you do on the range when you're on a Trackman trying to swing 5mph faster.

Well, duh.

The idea would be training to get faster to the point where some of that translates to your baseline on course swing.

This is probably dumb, but you know what I'd like to accomplish next year? Increasing my swing speed 5+ mph.

I'm not getting better, so at least I'll feel like I've accomplished something if I can do that.

it's all in the hips.

I've never done any type of leg strengthening. with my back i've been scared of it. so i decided this winter i was going to teach myself to do squats. I've started. I'm no where near where I'd like to be and my hip mobility is significantly increased. Strong and mobil = move it.

i'm exhausted but when i go home i'm getting my workout in

But I bet you swing slower on the course than you do on the range when you're on a Trackman trying to swing 5mph faster.

Well, duh.

The idea would be training to get faster to the point where some of that translates to your baseline on course swing.

I think you'd ultimately swing faster if you only focused on getting stronger and more flexible and never measured your swing speed than you would if you didn't focus on getting stronger and more flexible and only measured your swing speed on the range every week or so.

But again it's not about how fast you'd be measured on a range, it's about how fast you'd be measured on a course if you didn't know you were being measured. It's impossible to come to a conclusion. But doing no swing/golf specific work and instead being more flexible and stronger overall would be more helpful edit* in my opinion

I need a goddamn double blind study on this. I'll call it "The Fabb Method vs The Correct Method"

I'm not a big believer in "golf shape" separate from general fitness. It doesn't take that much effort to make 36ish full golf swings over a round. It takes effort to walk 5 miles carrying extra weight on your back and still have full energy walking down 18. I was in much better "golf shape" before I started playing more golf and got fat.

Maybe I'm just nitpicking on your terminology FAbb, but I wouldn't think you dropped 10mph in speed because you aren't in shape. I'd say it's because you don't practice enough and your technique is worse. Swinging a weighted club may or may not help with that. I'm sure there are people that swing that thing all winter and then arrive in the spring and find out their face and path control is horrific. I'd bet most people would get better results by hitting balls in to a net and measuring ball speed with a MEVO.

Well, duh.

I think you'd ultimately swing faster if you only focused on getting stronger and more flexible and never measured your swing speed than you would if you didn't focus on getting stronger and more flexible and only measured your swing speed on the range every week or so.

But again it's not about how fast you'd be measured on a range, it's about how fast you'd be measured on a course if you didn't know you were being measured. It's impossible to come to a conclusion. But doing no swing/golf specific work and instead being more flexible and stronger overall would be more helpful edit* in my opinion

I need a goddamn double blind study on this. I'll call it "The Fabb Method vs The Correct Method"

Next event that I can make it and so can Fabb..

Ill bring the trackman. Have him warm up with it.

Then we will take it to the course... to judge speed. However.. it might be on and might be off.

Im with you Domes.. a few rounds ago I took the trackman out with us for a round.. both of our swings were a lot slower than normal..

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Anyone else doing the 9-hole challenge at Woodmore Sunday? Two Person Teams. Every hole set up as a short Par 3. Common folk are allowed to play for $25.

I'm undecided and don't know why I'm waffling about it. I'll have a firm answer by tonight. Might have to join you at 9:20 as well!

That would be awesome, it would be great to meet you. I've played with HBD, Tex, and Eagle of course. Looking forward to meeting the other guys on here.

hearing about you guys making plans to play in a par 3 challenge that i set up at hivemore when it'll be a high of 36°... this makes me incredibly happy.

top 3 teams win pro shop credit, and based on the weather, we're currently trending towards a total of... (wait for it)... 3 teams. :D

if anyone else wants in, just call the pro shop @ 301-249-0462 to register. you won't need to pre-pay, and you don't need to have an accompanying member to play. open to all. $25 entry fee for non-members includes 2 beverages and 1 app per team.

I like those odds!

i'm currently the "safety single" in case another solo signs up, but come saturday pm after the registration deadline i'll likely be looking for a partner.

tex, any chance you can make it?

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I'm not proposing "do nothing and just measure my swing speed every week or so" at all.

I'm talking about training specifically to swing a golf club faster, versus training overall strength and flexibility in the hope that it'll translate to swinging a golf club faster.

Im with you Domes.. a few rounds ago I took the trackman out with us for a round.. both of our swings were a lot slower than normal..

Interesting. Now I'm curious, is there anything you learned from that? Did you just accept it as normal, or did you start trying to get faster again on the course?

I'd expect the better players to have a narrower gap between range and course swing speeds, with pros being nearly non-existent. They don't show up one day and suddenly swing 5mph less than they've practiced for. They work with Trackman to get their speed up, then bring that speed with them to the course.

So I technically agree with Domes about the difference between the range and course swing speeds. But I guess I don't see it as hit against measuring and training your speed on a trackman indoors. If you increase your simulator speed by 5mph, you'll probably increase your course speed by 5mph. Maybe there will still be a gap between course and simulator, but both will be higher. You get used to swinging faster.

I still don't like the idea of the swing stick thing. If a training aid doesn't allow me to hit balls, I'm using it very sparingly.

I'm not proposing "do nothing and just measure my swing speed every week or so" at all.

I'm talking about training specifically to swing a golf club faster, versus training overall strength and flexibility in the hope that it'll translate to swinging a golf club faster.

I had a long post going, but then I re-read it and it was mostly rambling nonsense. Ready for the weekend.

Obviously it's nothing personal Fabb. My opinion is that unless you're willing to commit to a lot of Cream Soda Practice Cuts before bed, it's going to be hard to get comfortable with a significant swing change with the limited number of rounds you play. Maybe I'm underestimating the number of CSPCs you're currently taking.

Wouldn't an old driver with a bunch of lead tape on it work better than the swing sticks? Or an old used-bin 4-iron from gunpowder or something?

i'm currently the "safety single" in case another solo signs up, but come saturday pm after the registration deadline i'll likely be looking for a partner.

tex, any chance you can make it?

I hit up hutch about the time of it.

Unfortunately, too close to kiddo’s ice skating practice..

protos F4

Interesting. Now I'm curious, is there anything you learned from that? Did you just accept it as normal, or did you start trying to get faster again on the course?

I'd expect the better players to have a narrower gap between range and course swing speeds, with pros being nearly non-existent. They don't show up one day and suddenly swing 5mph less than they've practiced for. They work with Trackman to get their speed up, then bring that speed with them to the course.

So I technically agree with Domes about the difference between the range and course swing speeds. But I guess I don't see it as hit against measuring and training your speed on a trackman indoors. If you increase your simulator speed by 5mph, you'll probably increase your course speed by 5mph. Maybe there will still be a gap between course and simulator, but both will be higher. You get used to swinging faster.

I still don't like the idea of the swing stick thing. If a training aid doesn't allow me to hit balls, I'm using it very sparingly.

Just did not have it that day I reckon.

Tired from the day before work out, sore, etc. no clue.

I hover around 105 can get up to 108 so when I saw 100 it was a head scratcher

Have to experiment with bringing a trackman on the course more often to really see if there is a correlation

protos F4

I had a long post going, but then I re-read it and it was mostly rambling nonsense. Ready for the weekend.

Obviously it's nothing personal Fabb. My opinion is that unless you're willing to commit to a lot of Cream Soda Practice Cuts before bed, it's going to be hard to get comfortable with a significant swing change with the limited number of rounds you play. Maybe I'm underestimating the number of CSPCs you're currently taking.

Wouldn't an old driver with a bunch of lead tape on it work better than the swing sticks? Or an old used-bin 4-iron from gunpowder or something?

81AfKtFulrL._SX466_.jpg

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

I'm actually going out of my way to not swing as hard as I can indoors. My whole point of getting simulator time is to figure out how far I carry the ball and - as I've exhaustedly talked about - get way more consistent with. It does me no good to swing faster, who am I trying to impress - the weird guy that works there who's walking back and forth?

I'd bet one fake months salary right now that I'm not 5 mph slower with D on the course. That being said, Domes' bet was a quantifiable bet that he closed by saying could not be measured.

I remember in my last lesson my driver swing speed went up almost 4 mph when we worked on loosening up my forearms and wrists. Its one of the reasons I started hovering the club. I didnt think I held the club that tight but it was clear as day on tape. Once I started hovering it, everything got much smoother.

Fabb, maybe thats something you could work on in the garage...

2og7xw.jpg

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Went out for a "modified worst ball" today. I've kind of "honed" a version that I think is a good game.

Normal worst ball : hit two shots. Hit two from the worst one. Count em up.

Modified :

If you hit one out of play, you just play the other ball with a 2 stroke penalty. You don't need to make the ob ball the worst ball and hit again.

If you make a shot (chip or putt), you don't need to hit another. The idea behind this is that playing worst ball, the tendency is to be too timid on any tough putts because the likelihood of making both is miniscule. Also if you miss the first one in normal, there's no incentive to make the second. This way you're trying jar everything.

Also a mod... If you have two shots that are equally difficult, you play them both. That way you don't get to hit the same shot twice in a row. This applies to putts too.

I was +13 doing this today. 7 pars. 2 doubles. I have no idea if this is good.

The "sink a putt" thing is huge but it's a good modification. It's not like you're not grinding on the first putt normally.

Just a very good way to keep your concentration level high throughout a round if you're out solo.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

New Avengers trailer = bonkers

I don't know if I'd call it bonkers but I liked the trailer. Basically they know at this point that every human who is going to see Avengers is going to see Avengers regardless of trailer. All they had to do is make the entire trailer the release date.

That said, it was good. Didn't really give anything away. I liked that they put nebula in it. Her part in GotG2 was so good. I'd like to see her play a big role in taking down Thanos.

Just watched Ant Man and the Wasp last weekend and there's a couple "hints" in there about what could happen.

I'm psyched for it. Not as much as I was for gotg3 if Gunn stayed on board.

The animated Spiderman that comes out this weekend is supposed to be good, too.

I have no time though. Going down to national harbor to see my brother tomorrow. He's in town for a conference.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Speaking of trailers, what’s everyone’s thoughts on the Game of Thrones final season trailer.

the one that's just ice and fire? It's cool.

I stopped hbo after last got ended. Will start up again when got starts again, catch up on a couple things.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green