MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

Never broken 87 at WM. Course kicks my ass every time. It’s crazy. Played two weeks ago there and the greens were not receptive at all. So much roll out even on high wedges. Not overly fast.

Trying to figure out what score wins Net, 73? What won last year at PB Dye?

I’m liking my foursome, very much the Pinehurst Feeling!!

> @gsrjc said:

> > @SullGolf said:

> > Nice try, but no.

>

> Yeah. Perhaps after the round we can exchange stories how the holes were played.

Will share info I got from one of the more generous hivers ( not Sully) for the short troublesome par 4s.

“10: scope the last little tree on the right side and hit a club that won't go further than that. Hitting it right isn't a big problem.

11: stay short of the trap no matter what. Scope the last pine tree and hit one club short. Leaves you a wedge in still.

14: if you hit a cut, bash driver at the green. If you hit a draw, bash driver at the left side of the barn. Or just stay short of the first trap on the left with long/mid iron but play up the right side.”

• Like 1

Worthington Manor Report

They're definitely throwing water on the fairways and greens. I would say overall, it wasn't as firm as a month ago. You should still see roll in the fairways, some spots more so than others, but it wasn't too crazy. I had a few drives come down like they were hitting an asphalt runway, and a few others basically hit and stick. Since they seem to have less irrigation overall in the rough, I'd say the ground is softer in the fairways.

The greens were very receptive to approaches. There was no need to play for the ball to release coming into the greens. They've still got a bit of firmness when you're playing from green side though, which needs to be accounted for. You can't fly chips and pitches too close to the hole and have them stop close.

The green speed was moderate, in terms of what it can be there. They were faster than what I've typically played this year, but not nearly as fast as they can get. Even if they don't speed them up Sunday, they're fast enough to be a problem if you're putting/chipping from out of position. If you get into a spot where you're putting down one of the many severe slopes, or having to putt through a large break, it's really challenging to stop it close to the hole. They've got just enough speed that the ball wants to keep creeping on slopes. If they do speed them up, good luck to us all. I think it's a course that really suits players that are strong putters and short game players, especially if the greens speed up.

My game was mega-trash. Way worse than the mega-trash round I had about a month ago. I'll find a way to get it around on Sunday. I know there's good golf in me, so I've just got to keep after it.

• Like 1

Got out to play a few holes last night for the first time in 3 weeks

Greens were in crap shape so putting was pointless and just worked on contact with chips

Tee ball seems to be in good shape which is imperative, but hitting a massive pull with everything else. Tried playing around with it but really have no idea whats going on with it. Center of the club but 15 yds left every time

Gonna try and get in a couple more rounds this week to get ready for the CC but there aren't many options around me right now to simulate WoMan

I've played WM 75 to 100 times because I was in a league there for a few years and played it 20+ times a year, plus all the other times. I haven't played it as much as dom, but after some point, that doesn't really matter. He's probably the only guy here who has played it more than I have.

The problem with "tips" about WM is that I'd say most of the tee shots are pretty straightforward (Yes, 10, 11, and 14 can be "strange") but the real course knowledge there comes from knowing where to miss around the greens DEPENDING on pin location.

When the greens are fast, and you have a front pin on 2, you'd might rather have a 15 yard chip from the fairway than a 10 foot putt from above/right of that pin -- I've had that putt when you can't keep it on the green. When you have a back left pin, fire at it and if you go deep/left, you have a chip that you're going to get closer than a putt from the middle/front of the green. But, if the greens are firm, then firing at the front/middle might release to the back left pin, so you might be unlucky if your ball sits, or it might be perfect.

You can't keep chips from over hole 9 near the back of the green. They all roll to the front.

There's a spine (or a double spine) running through 1,2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 11 (and more depending on your definition of spin) and if you're on the wrong side of the spine chipping OR putting, it's tough to make, or keep near the hole. And, the greens that don't have what I'd call a spine (like 16) still have raised sections, and depressions that completely demarcate the green.

You can't just say "keep it below the hole" because almost none of the greens have a straightforward back to front slope. The general advice would be "get it in the right section".

I've always thought that 11 is one of the most interesting holes out there. Playing short of the bunker is a totally valid play. Leaves you a wedge into the green. But that green is narrow front to back, has a nasty bunker in front, a mound coming off that bunker into the green, and is a tough up and down from the back.

I like that play better when the pin is right side. I especially like leaving it short of the bunker, up the right side.

If the pin is left side, I like bashing one as they tend to the run to the left, so you have a short shot into the green and you take the pot bunker out of play and maybe the fairway bunker.

For pretty much any pin, however, you can bash one right over the fairway bunker (if you have the length), and you have a shot right down the main axis of the green -- albeit from the rough -- with the pot bunker out of play.

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

11 is weird. I hit driver everywhere yesterday, when not only was I swinging awful, but I should have been experimenting with tee club options. Dumb-dumb. So on 11, I hit the big pull miss that has plagued me. It's just a completely flushed, but 50 yards off line pull. Now I know there's room left on 11, so there's a chance it's good, but I hit a provisional anyways. I hit the provisional dead at the bunker. We get up there and my original ball is left of the path, with about 60 yards to a back left pin. My provisional is nowhere to be seen. With the original in play, there's no way I'm wasting my time sifting through the weeds, but there's a 100% chance it was in that gnarly grass around that bunker. It would have been unplayable even if it was located. I don't think there are more than maybe 2 people in the field Sunday that have the distance to smash one over that bunker from the tips. With serious doubts about my chances of bringing my 100% game, I'll be playing to avoid a ball in that bunker, or the grass around it at all costs.

How many of you all bought the new 4 piece KSig? I got my 4 dozen yesterday in the mail. Over in the equipment/golf ball forum, someone posted a pic of the cover peeling off the ball after hitting a wedge. Looks like they are easily scuffed. Seems like they are not really close to being the same quality as when they were made in Korea. Now they are made in China.

> @ceejay81 said:

> How many of you all bought the new 4 piece KSig? I got my 4 dozen yesterday in the mail. Over in the equipment/golf ball forum, someone posted a pic of the cover peeling off the ball after hitting a wedge. Looks like they are easily scuffed. Seems like they are not really close to being the same quality as when they were made in Korea. Now they are made in China.

(o・_・)ノ”(ノ_<、)

I tried to get some, but no Costco account. Glad i didn't.

The new article (from 1 day ago) at "The Site That Shall Not Be Named" has a good article about the K-Sig, including some information I hadn't read before about the first ball and why it's probably not being produced again.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

City, any thoughts on 14? Is it better being short on all the par 3s except 15. 17 is tough.

For us less cerebral golfers, 1,2,3,4,7,14 - don’t go left. The course does favor a right to left drive as long as it’s not a pull or hook.

Biggest issue is getting around the green but on the wrong side and leading to easy doubles bogeys. Being cerebral does help

> @FAbb said:

> blah blah blah my game stinks

> @FAbb said:

> @FAbb said:

Confirmed - Fabb winner by 3 strokes.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

> @aiyyer said:

> City, any thoughts on 14? Is it better being short on all the par 3s except 15. 17 is tough.

> For us less cerebral golfers, 1,2,3,4,7,14 - don’t go left. The course does favor a right to left drive as long as it’s not a pull or hook.

> Biggest issue is getting around the green but on the wrong side and leading to easy doubles bogeys. Being cerebral does help

The pin on 14 was VERY tough yesterday. It's the red dot in the picture below. There's a little bit of a backstop, but you have to be coming in with some real height and spin to use it. There's a knob that you have to carry to get to that pin, otherwise it kicks your ball right past the hole and potentially off the green.

atdj9eqr2mll.png

> @TheCityGame said:

> > @ceejay81 said:

> > How many of you all bought the new 4 piece KSig? I got my 4 dozen yesterday in the mail. Over in the equipment/golf ball forum, someone posted a pic of the cover peeling off the ball after hitting a wedge. Looks like they are easily scuffed. Seems like they are not really close to being the same quality as when they were made in Korea. Now they are made in China.

>

> (o・_・)ノ”(ノ_<、)

>

> I tried to get some, but no Costco account. Glad i didn't.

>

> The new article (from 1 day ago) at "The Site That Shall Not Be Named" has a good article about the K-Sig, including some information I hadn't read before about the first ball and why it's probably not being produced again.

>

>

Got 8 dozen using family. HBD got three times that. Could make this the group mandated ball Sunday.

> @aiyyer said:

> City, any thoughts on 14? Is it better being short on all the par 3s except 15. 17 is tough.

> For us less cerebral golfers, 1,2,3,4,7,14 - don’t go left. The course does favor a right to left drive as long as it’s not a pull or hook.

> Biggest issue is getting around the green but on the wrong side and leading to easy doubles bogeys. Being cerebral does help

14 : I think the play -- if you have the yardage -- is to take driver over the right side of the left FW bunker. Unless you tend to miss left (long stuff), or you abhor a 30 yard chip from a tight lie.

The thing is about that hole -- AND THIS ACTUALLY APPLIES TO A LOT OF SITUATIONS -- is that we always think, "oh, just lay up and have a 9 iron in." Well, laying up, especially for less skilled golfers, isn't always automatic. On 14, balls tend to funnel into that left bunker, so you need to REALLY lay up to lay up. And that might mean giving yourself a 7 iron in. Or if you pull the lay up, there's a tree there that can block you. If you try to get away from that left bunker, it lengthens the hole a little and might bring the right bunker into play. And all of a sudden, the "smart play" isn't looking so smart.

Basically, what I'm saying is : if there's a good chance of screwing up the lay-up, you might as well just pound it. If you wind up in the FW bunks, it's still a good chance at par, and an easy bogey. I've always found the sand in those bunkers tight and firm and the wedge shot shouldn't be too tough.

The par 3s? No it isn't better being short. I've seen balls short on hole 8, roll down 40 yards away from the green. 6 has a bunker short. You can get up and down from over that green. 17 is a tough hole (225 from the back tees. I'll take a 4 right now if you give it to me. ). Even from 150, that back pin is really tough. You don't want to miss anywhere back there, and it's such a tough putt from the middle of the green. 17 has 3 distinct sections (front, in front of the spine, that middle section that moves towards the drain, and the back left tongue). You'd like to be in the right section on that green.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @FAbb said:

> > @aiyyer said:

> > City, any thoughts on 14? Is it better being short on all the par 3s except 15. 17 is tough.

> > For us less cerebral golfers, 1,2,3,4,7,14 - don’t go left. The course does favor a right to left drive as long as it’s not a pull or hook.

> > Biggest issue is getting around the green but on the wrong side and leading to easy doubles bogeys. Being cerebral does help

>

> The pin on 14 was VERY tough yesterday. It's the red dot in the picture below. There's a little bit of a backstop, but you have to be coming in with some real height and spin to use it. There's a knob that you have to carry to get to that pin, otherwise it kicks your ball right past the hole and potentially off the green.

>

> atdj9eqr2mll.png

>

That pin on 14 is in a "little bowl".

There's a similar little bowl back right on 16 that almost never gets used.

They're both sort of similar to the back left bowls on 2 and 8. 14 is almost a mirror image of 2 and 8 (which are similar). There's a "middle bowl" on 13, IIRC.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

It's only a bowl if you're coming in with some height and/or stank on it. Pitching to that pin from short was tough. Even if you managed to get your drive short-left, the knob on the front middle keeps you from going right at that pin. Still, I like my proximity better on that very tough chip than I do on even a 100 yard wedge.

My thoughts are basically if I'm really feeling it with the D, I'm just gonna pound it on those holes. If I'm not, I'll really have to think twice about what I'm doing. Laying up seems less risky on the surface, but even a well executed layup off the tee leaves a tough approach into any of those greens.

> @FAbb said:

> It's only a bowl if you're coming in with some height and/or stank on it.

(•ิ_•ิ)?

It's a bowl.

The edges of it are higher than the middle of it.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @FAbb said:

> Alright, smarty pants. Yes, it's a bowl no matter what. You just can't really use it to funnel a ball towards the hole if you're too close to the green. It's not severe enough to throw one up towards the back of the bowl and have it come back towards the pin.

Oh, I get what you're saying.

\( ˙▿˙ )/\( ˙▿˙ )/

Yes, it's a **little** bowl. It's not a good bowl. it's not like a punchbowl green in Scotland. You need to be very precise with your shot in, or you're going to be putting into the bowl which isn't fun. It's one of those pins where I'm not sure if I'd rather be chipping from the rough right of the pin, or putting from the middle of the green.

Also, it's not ENTIRELY a bowl. It drains right off the green. It has to have some outlet.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @ceejay81 said:

> How many of you all bought the new 4 piece KSig? I got my 4 dozen yesterday in the mail. Over in the equipment/golf ball forum, someone posted a pic of the cover peeling off the ball after hitting a wedge. Looks like they are easily scuffed. Seems like they are not really close to being the same quality as when they were made in Korea. Now they are made in China.

It seems like the talk in the Wrx thread has been pretty postive.

"That site" was speculating that the 4 piece cover was going to be the same as the 3 piece cover, but it's [clearly not](https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/19135968/#Comment_19135968 "clearly not").

I think the cover on the new ball looks pretty good. I always liked the original K-sig. I'll see if I can find a way to scare a few up on the next release.

Edit : Got to the part where the guy showed the cover tearing. Not a good look.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @TheCityGame said:

> > @ceejay81 said:

> > How many of you all bought the new 4 piece KSig? I got my 4 dozen yesterday in the mail. Over in the equipment/golf ball forum, someone posted a pic of the cover peeling off the ball after hitting a wedge. Looks like they are easily scuffed. Seems like they are not really close to being the same quality as when they were made in Korea. Now they are made in China.

>

> It seems like the talk in the Wrx thread has been pretty postive.

>

> "That site" was speculating that the 4 piece cover was going to be the same as the 3 piece cover, but it's [clearly not](https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/19135968/#Comment_19135968 "clearly not").

>

> I think the cover on the new ball looks pretty good. I always liked the original K-sig. I'll see if I can find a way to scare a few up on the next release.

I think there's only been a few people who have used the ball already and posted about it. I'll find out for myself when I try them out. If I start scuffing balls on normal shots, then that would probably seal my opinion. Always loved the original so I hope these are similar for me.

The line on the ball says "performance one" now instead of "tour performance". The font is also bigger and makes the ball look sort of NXTish. If that makes sense.

> Basically, what I'm saying is : if there's a good chance of **** up the lay-up, you might as well just pound it. If you wind up in the FW bunks, it's still a good chance at par

>

Pounding it versus a ****** layup applies to 7 also. Thoughts on 12 and 3 - tough 2nd shot holes. Think Pete Dye said giving options for pros and making them think **** s them up. Disaster for low IQ golfers and WM is full of options.

Free WiFi on planes is cool.