MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

Food plan:

Tonight: Not sure...

Tomorrow Morning: Probably a Toasters' Strudel or maybe Cereal. Nutri-Grain Bars on the course, guess I'll be either eating at the course or heating something quick tomorrow night.

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

Carbo-loaded dinner tonight, chocolate chip pancakes. Gonna have a lot of energy tomorrow.

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

Fun times today. Had a good foursome in Sully, Sean, and Fortner. Sully was cruising along well until a few holes on the back got him but he still had a chance. First time playing with Fortner and good player. I didn’t have my best wedge game today and it cost me. Thanks to all who setup the championship. My apologies that I couldn’t stay longer. Needed to get back to the newborn.

• Like 1

This is hilarious.

9hve5lve6qcn.jpg

These pics from 18 into the sun are great.

xvzzafa73ctk.jpg

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @gregh729 said:

> what were the winning scores?

>

> Its beautiful up here in Maine. Wish I could have played in the championship though

Four people shot 74 for gross.

It was pretty wild. New guy, JM, won it on the second play off hole. It was firm and fast.

Net 73 won net, with Fort winning over M.Reynolds on the first playoff hole.

• Like 1

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Great fun at The Hive club championship yesterday.

Worthington was nice and tuned up for the occasion. That's not the fastest and firmest I've seen those greens play, but it wasn't far off. They were cooking. The super mixed in a few nasty pin cuts, but also some relatively friendly ones.

I had the pleasure of tagging along with all the plus caps for the day, and they all showed just why they are pluses.

Dom started out kinda off with his ball striking, but in typical Dom fashion, made up for it by chipping it close, and making putts to keep his round going. Then once he got his ball striking coming around, he took advantage. He seems to scare the hole with every putt, and certainly makes his share. He dropped 3 birds in a row on 13-15, then finished with one on 18 as well.

Sterling came out of the gates with 2 good shots, but his wedge approach was deep on 1, and into the hazard. Then he played the rest of the day in 2 under, to get himself into the playoff. He went full inferno mode on the back, dropping 5 birds en route to a 32. The guy just has another gear in him that is really fun to see. The reports of his golfing prowess, and of what a nice guy to play with he is are most definitely spot-on.

Hive John was just steady as can be. He never really faltered, and shot about the least laborsome looking 74 in history. Fairways, greens, good birdie runs, and he just kept such an even keel the entire way.

Those guys come in at 74, along with City in the next group, so it was a 4-man playoff for gross. It was fun to watch that, with Hive John prevailing over Dom on the second hole, with a birdie. Hats off to all 4 of those guys. Those were some TOUGH scoring conditions, and they all navigated them extremely well to put those 74s on the board.

Fast forward a bit, and somebody lets us know that net is going to a playoff as well. Two years in a row with playoffs in both divisions! Fort and Hive Mark had the best net playoff ever. We've got about 15 people out there looking for balls in the weeds off the tee, and Fort ends up burying a real nice 8'ish footer to take the title. Such a fun way to end the day.

I didn't have my best stuff, but I'm proud of the way I battled through. I was borderline terrified of having to play stroke play yesterday, after the way I hit the ball this past Tuesday, but I came out yesterday and mostly hit the ball really well. Pounded the D, and hit a bunch of nice irons and wedges. I full on yipped a handful of putts through the middle of the round, but I grinded through that as well. I felt like I lagged it well, and actually made a bunch of good short putts before and after that "dark period" lol. I just didn't get the ball in the hole like I needed to, but there were plenty of positives as well.

Big ups to Bae, and Endless for their hard work on running the tournament. It was a big field, and they did awesome making sure everything ran without a hitch.

• Like 1

Yesterday was a ton of fun. The net playoff at the end was maybe the best playoff in all of sports history.

Callaway md3 52* S grind

If there’s one thing these tournaments expose, it’s how difficult the tour sauce “straddle the guy’s line to tap in at an awkward angle” can be. Better off marking it! I don’t ever learn as I tapped in at least 3 little ones lefty with the backside of my spider. I’ve learned to trust that method though.

> @HighBoomingDraws said:

> If there’s one thing these tournaments expose, it’s how difficult the tour sauce “straddle the guy’s line to tap in at an awkward angle” can be. Better off marking it! I don’t ever learn as I tapped in at least 3 little ones lefty with the backside of my spider. I’ve learned to trust that method though.

I bad-tapped one way back when in a Pine Ridge tournament, and learned. Sometimes I'll still do a weird straddle and get a one-footer out of the way, but I've learned to put the proper focus on it.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Congrats to Fort and huge thanks to The Committee for a great event.

Spent some time last night commiserating with Mark R after the playoffs.

Endless, Siegel, Christian were part of my group - great guys and some good golf yesterday.

z8tjesbbf8n4.jpeg

Endless hit the clubhouse on the 14th and birdied 10th over the water from a different tee box. Siegel almost drove the green on a couple of holes.

w0gwlzslfh49.jpeg

My favorite moment of the day was in the bar after the gross playoff.

Dom had hit the hole hard from about 20 feet for birdie on 1 and it lipped out.

I said something like, "you'd have had quite a bit coming back if that didn't hit the hole."

He flashed a look of disdain that seemed to convey "b**** please. . .first of all, I was hitting the hole and second of all, I was making the comebacker." That was a good putt.

I'd made a bogey. They were in with 4 and Sterling had about a 12 footer for birdie. I told him, "that doesn't really matter."

And he gave me a look like, "yeah, it does."

Me, "Ooooooh."

3rd place.

He rolled it in dead center without a doubt. After both parring 2, we agreed to T3, but TBD at some point in the future.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

The other Hive events are absolutely a blast, but it doesn't compare to having 30+ players show up to a tournament. It puts it on another level and makes for the best of times. Thank you to everyone who had a hand in putting this together.

I am beyond exhausted today. I had played WoMan (very poorly) on Saturday with my dad, Dom, and Christian and hadn't really recovered from that. Yesterday I walked the front 9 and then wised up and grabbed a cart for the back 9. I had a great time hacking it around with THDC and 827. I had a 77 net that included a missed 2 footer, missed 3 footer, four 3-putts, and 3 penalties. So, I was well within reach, yet so far away. The highlight of the day for me and my golf career was smoking a drive on the 3rd right down the middle into the neck of the fairway. I had 159 to the stick and hit my 6 hybrid to 1 foot. The ball landed about 4-5 feet in front of the hole into the hill. It popped up and stopped quickly all nice and snuggly. That's my first GIR and birdie on that stupidly tough hole. Dave and I both birdied the 9th as well. We were both in the rough at the end of the fairway - I was on the left and he was on the right. After he almost holed out and lipped out his wedge, I got up there and stuffed it to 18 inches above the hole. Really not sure how it didn't roll back down the hill into the cup. Dave stuffed his 8 footer for bird. Mr Deadman was on the struggle bus that hole and unfortunately made an 11. If he is able to shave a few strokes off of that hole, then he'd have been right near the top at the end of the day. He played EXCELLENT on the back 9 for a 51 that should have really been a 45. The swing is looking good.

The playoff was a blast to watch. I know from experience (on tour, obviously) that it's nerve wracking to be hitting shots with a gallery. Congrats to Fort for being the new People's Champ!

I agree with HBD that the Club Championship should be at this course every year. It's a great test of golf and usually is in great condition.

Highlights / lowlights:

- I hit a terrific fairway bunker shot on #2, draw to the center of the green, and rolled down to 10 feet.

- Aiyyer 2 putting #3, from the right side of the green. Doubley impressive considering Endless, Christian and I all rolled straight past the pin down to the front left of the green.

- Endless up and down from the hill to the right of the green on the par 3 #6

- Christian's 2 putt from the back of the green on #9. Not a long putt, but it looked scary.

- Endless birdie on #10 from the #14 tee box. But then he shot a 7 on the next hole.

- I shot 9 on hole #10. Tee to left bunker --> left bunker to the fescue surrounding the back greenside bunker --> fescue over the green into the pond --> duffed chip to an unplayable --> green --> 2 putt. I was so mad.

- Angry tee shot, almost drove the 11th green. Birdied.

- Aiyyer par on #12, which I think was the only one in our group. I think par is impressive there anyway.

- Endless hitting his ball from behind the trees behind the 13th green, under the trees, through the bunker, onto the green. That was sort of hilarious.

- Endless hitting the clubhouse from the 14th green

- I almost drove the 14th green. Sort of. It was close.

- Aiyyer also had a number of putts that just squeaked out. Seemed like the golf course was just giving him the finger after a while.

Callaway md3 52* S grind

> @FAbb said:

> Somebody reported that THDC made Junior take his clubs off the family pushie and leave it for dad on the 10th tee. A power move for the ages!!!

Well, we only have one push cart between the two of us, so he used it on the front and I did on the back. Most of the time we play 9, so we don't even bother bringing it. That thing is too bulky to fit in the trunk with two golf bags.

> @davechen said:

> > @FAbb said:

> > Somebody reported that THDC made Junior take his clubs off the family pushie and leave it for dad on the 10th tee. A power move for the ages!!!

>

> Well, we only have one push cart between the two of us, so he used it on the front and I did on the back. Most of the time we play 9, so we don't even bother bringing it. That thing is too bulky to fit in the trunk with two golf bags.

Ahhhhhh. There was a rumor that it broke so Little Chen had to walk the back nine.