2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

> @davechen said:

> > @FAbb said:

> > Somebody reported that THDC made Junior take his clubs off the family pushie and leave it for dad on the 10th tee. A power move for the ages!!!

>

> Well, we only have one push cart between the two of us, so he used it on the front and I did on the back. Most of the time we play 9, so we don't even bother bringing it. That thing is too bulky to fit in the trunk with two golf bags.

someone needs a nissan sentra.

> @baddomes said:

> > @davechen said:

> > > @FAbb said:

> > > Somebody reported that THDC made Junior take his clubs off the family pushie and leave it for dad on the 10th tee. A power move for the ages!!!

> >

> > Well, we only have one push cart between the two of us, so he used it on the front and I did on the back. Most of the time we play 9, so we don't even bother bringing it. That thing is too bulky to fit in the trunk with two golf bags.

>

> someone needs a nissan sentra.

>

>

No way that has more trunk space than my Honda Accord.

Thinking about a Tesla Model 3 for the next car. But that has even less trunk space.

Re: bad holes.

I had a 9 on #5 and an 8 on #12. On #5 I was in decent position after two shots, but then duffed it, and duffed it again into the fairway bunker. Hole #12 just sucks. Faded driver left. Pitched to just off the end of the fairway. OK iron that just caught the bunker short/right of the green. I hate that hole.

Other than those 2 holes, I was pretty happy with my play. Oh, #18 wasn't great either, but I was just rushing to finish. Unfortunately we had to hit the road right away. I though for sure I'd allotted enough time to hang out afterwards and grab a beer/bite. But I wasn't planning on 5 hour rounds. :(

For the 4 of you I didn't corner after the round at Worthington, I shot 83 with 41 putts and missed the playoff by a stroke. If I had 39 putts I would have won outright. I 5-putted #3 (OCGolfRick and I actually had to think for a minute after that hole to make sure we got my score right). My confidence on the greens was not good after that. I had a lot of downhill putts and couldn't keep them near the hole. It seemed like I either had to put it on a line with normal pace and blast it 10 feet past, or if I just tapped it, it would immediately go left or right off the face. Basically impossible putts. But come on, 41 putts lost it for me.

It's hard to say whether White vs Blue was the better call. I had a ton of half wedges, hit them all decently. Had 4 or 5 birdie looks inside 12 feet and made one of them. Hit some great drives. Had an 8 iron in on #9. Drove it equidistant to the front bunker on #11, 15 yards short of the merkin on #16 (made that bird), but 2 strokes was also the difference between 1st and T3. I do think my proximity to the hole was much better from the whites, but I don't necessarily think I would have had the same score from the blues. Hard to say.

Good foursome. First time with each of Dan C, OCGolfrick, and davechen jr. Shot of the day was Rick's slam dunk bird from the rough around the bunker short of the 6th green.

> @davechen said:

> > @baddomes said:

> > > @davechen said:

> > > > @FAbb said:

> > > > Somebody reported that THDC made Junior take his clubs off the family pushie and leave it for dad on the 10th tee. A power move for the ages!!!

> > >

> > > Well, we only have one push cart between the two of us, so he used it on the front and I did on the back. Most of the time we play 9, so we don't even bother bringing it. That thing is too bulky to fit in the trunk with two golf bags.

> >

> > someone needs a nissan sentra.

> >

> >

>

> No way that has more trunk space than my Honda Accord.

Next time ahoop and I fit both our pushies and golf bags in the trunk, I'll take a picture, print it out, and autograph it for you.

I'm trying not to steal Fort's spotlight here, but for all of us talking about the shots we missed out on, he made some fantastic saves that were the difference between him winning and finishing 5th or 6th. That's the difference. No matter how good you played out there, everyone is always leaving a few shots on the table. It's the guys that minimize that who win.

So I had to hit a 70 yard wedge into #3 from the fairway past the cart signs (my drive was 6 inches off the #4 fairway). I hit it perfectly past the flag and it backed up and stopped 8 feet from the hole to the right of the flag (from my perspective). Looking back now, I'm not sure how it stopped there. I'm not sure there's a way to hit a stationary ball from that spot and have it stop before it rolls all the way to the front of the green.

some train of thought recappage. . .

* Shortest 7000 yards I've ever played. wedge in on so many par 4's. 7 iron in twice was longest approach. Par 3's were a 5 iron, 6 iron, 6 iron, 4 iron.

* Through 8 holes, I didn't have a par. 3 birdies and 5 bogeys. 3-putted 4, 6 and 8.

* Hole 9, I have 105 in. Downhill, tight, soft lie. if I was laying up there again, I'd lay up in the rough. Seriously. I generally prefer hitting wedges out of fairways, but not there. I fly the green, try to be perfect, and leave my chip in the fringe above the hole. Roll that in for my first par. It would have been a double bogey -- at best -- if it missed the hole. No question in my mind.

* But then I birdied 10 and went, "oh, I have a shot at this." Golf lesson time. I've said this before, too : It's standard "advice" not to think about your score, or where you are, but I'd offer counter advice : think about it ALL THE TIME, learn to let it not affect you, then when you get into an event, or are shooting a good score, you hopefully won't choke.

* I actually doubled 12 right after that (without hitting a bad shot, IMO. I'm serious. just like 4 B's. No F's), bounced back with a bird on 13, then parred in.

* Felt pretty confident with new driver in bag. . .Ping G400 Max with x-torsion copper regular shaft.

* Felt good with the new lime green matte OnCore Elixir ball.

* Shots : on 11, laid up perfect to the right by the FW bunker with a right side pin, just like I mentioned last week in my write up. Had an OK look at birdie from the front fringe.

* Shots : on 14 I hit 4 iron off the tee to keep it above the left FW bunker. I hit a tight draw down the gut and it ran out to like 85 yards, past the FW bunker. I think that hole was like 350 from back, so that was cool.

* Shots : 17 was playing 222, but down hill and firm. I thought 4 iron should hit in front and release. You just don't want to make a big number there. I probably hit a 200 yard 4 iron that landed within a yard of where I was looking, hopped on, rolled past the pin and into the rough, but it was the exact correct shot to hit given my abilities. My best executed shot of the day and it wasn't even on the green. Bad chip, nice putt.

* Shots : missed 3 green to the right in the rough. I'd just watched Hive Jon hit a putt from the right side that almost stopped at the hole and it rolled 25 feet away. I hit a chip that almost went in, and stopped about 8 feet below the hole. The group in front of us was up on the 4th tee box and started clapping.

Happy overall with it. I played Saturday and this year, I've played poorly on Sunday in two meaningful events, so I was glad I held it together.

In the playoff, I hit one in the left FW bunker, and had a dreadful lie below my feet, one foot in, one foot out, hit the lip. Made bogey.

Good hang in bar as expected. The food there has gotten a lot better. Decent beer selection.

Net playoff was great.

thanks to all members of the Hive for coming out. I hope we can build on this. We had some lower turn out this year, but 24-32 people is perfect.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Hey guys --

the 19th of October is not going to work for the 7's.

I just sent out a poll askign whether the 12th or the 20th is better for people.

Please respond to that within a day or so, so I can get back to Gunpowder.

Sorry about that. She tells me they're getting more and more events out there these days.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @TheCityGame said:

> Hey guys --

>

> the 19th of October is not going to work for the 7's.

>

> I just sent out a poll askign whether the 12th or the 20th is better for people.

>

> Please respond to that within a day or so, so I can get back to Gunpowder.

>

> Sorry about that. She tells me they're getting more and more events out there these days.

Very excited to hear about the 7's.....can we get some estimate heights on the new club champ? How tall is Sterling?

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

I played real well on the front. Basically one poor wedge shot and a duffed chip that led to a double on 5. Other than that I didn’t hit 2 poor shots in a row, which is how you make pars and bogeys. I walked off 9 in 41, which I think is my low on the front. On average I'm probably 2-3 strokes better on the back there, so I felt pretty good about my chances at that point. Played mostly alright on the back, but strung together bad shots in a row. On 11 I missed left in to the long grass, then hit my penalty shot long of the green when I tried to get aggressive instead of making sure I stayed short. On 13 I thinned one out of the left bunker. I’ve thinned more sand shots out of the bunkers on 13 than any other hole in the DMV. It’s totally in my head. Did okay after that to keep it at a double.

On 16 I hit an F-minus drive that I never found. I think it ended up in the long grass on the fairway bunker on 18, but couldn’t tell for certain. Dropped a lost ball penalty back in the fairway about 220 out, but the pine tree still blocks your line a bit there. Plus there was a maintenance guy working RIGHT on my line about 170 out. He eventually waved us up and I piped it safely over his head and ended pin high left rough, but it shook me a little bit to hit that. My game isn’t good enough to feel comfortable doing that. Skulled a chip across the green, chipped up and 3 putted for the 9.

Missed maybe a 4 footer on 16, and a 6-7 footer on 18 that could have put me in it. Had a couple mid-range (10-20) looks at birdie and made none. But also made some good up and downs through the day. Probably balanced out just right.

I generally like where my good drives are going, but I have some solid F drives out there where I’m leaving the face way way open. That’s a swing issue mostly, but I wonder if some gear could help.

Maybe the right alignment aide on the crown (machine gun unicorn maybe?), and possibly by a different swing weight. The difference in misses between driver and everything else is just too large. I was mashing 4-wood yesterday.

Fort made an awesome up and down from well right on 6, an even better up and down from well right on 8, and chipped in on 14 for a birdie that was otherwise going to go 15-20 feet by. That's saving probably 4 strokes on average, with potential for some real big numbers.

Mixed feelings on not winning. On the one hand, I lost. On the other hand, winning the net CC 3x in a row would have made even me suspicious about my handicap. I still contend that the rest of you have a bunch of vanity caps. I can't do anything about that.

> @XHoop24 said:

> > @TheCityGame said:

> > Hey guys --

> >

> > the 19th of October is not going to work for the 7's.

> >

> > I just sent out a poll askign whether the 12th or the 20th is better for people.

> >

> > Please respond to that within a day or so, so I can get back to Gunpowder.

> >

> > Sorry about that. She tells me they're getting more and more events out there these days.

> Very excited to hear about the 7's.....can we get some estimate heights on the new club champ? How tall is Sterling?

>

I'm kind of guessing that Sterling would be smalls. JM talls. depends on who shows up.

Dom doesn't usually play in it.

Diabolical twist this year, I think.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @Von_Oberhausen said:

> > @TheCityGame said:

> > Diabolical twist this year, I think.

> Ugh, City getting excited about the twist makes me anxious. "You have to lop off your non-dominant hand, or poke out your dominant eye! Bahahahahaah!"

>

it's actually possible that this twist grew out of something YOU said last year when trying to guess it. I think it was you and I don't think it was exactly your idea.

Also, I have a perfect solution for me knowing the twist in advance, but not being able to benefit from it. This will be revealed morning of.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @TheCityGame said:

> it's actually possible that this twist grew out of something YOU said last year when trying to guess it. I think it was you and I don't think it was exactly your idea.

>

> Also, I have a perfect solution for me knowing the twist in advance, but not being able to benefit from it. This will be revealed morning of.

>

I remember throwing out a couple ideas last year, so I'm intrigued to see if I remember this one.

> @SullGolf said:

> I'm curious what the lowest high score was on the net side. I had a 9 in there. Lots of reports of 8s and 9s out there. Did anyone walk away free of a triple or quad?

My lowest high score was 7 till 18th hole: I skulled my 50 yard bunker shot to 1st hole tee box then 3 footer lipped out to card 9.

my walk of shame is fully video taped on our album.

Thanks!

If you're playing the 7's and eating at Tubby's, remember to show up early just in case Queenie's back. 5-10 minutes depending on your "stamina".

We're going to want to set up sequential tee times with her, not a shotgun start.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

The Grint shows hole-by-hole averages, and I've played enough at WM where the averages are probably pretty accurate. Most of these were a definite "of course" thought, but one stood out as a bit of a wtf to me.

Hardest:

12: Average 1.7 over

3: 1.3

13: 1.3

16: 1.3

5: 1.2

11: 1.2 <--- this one is the WTF for me.

Easiest:

10: 0.3

15: 0.3

18: 0.4

14: 0.5

I just typed that all our because I can't post picture at work. Deal with it.

For the par 5s, 5 is a tough green, but I don't see why I couldn't play 13 as well as 18.

Hard for me to believe that I play 11 that poorly. Off the top of my head I thought it'd be the same as 10. I hit that fairway all the time.

So many takeaways from yesterday CC. I had an absolute blast out there with Andy, Dan and Gavin. Even though heat and crazy green sucked our souls, we were so cool as much as Gavin’s PowerAde shoes and Dan’s Neon golf ball.

I kinda started my round sandbagging myself with a Par on #1 after warning everyone about my on-going shank issue. But quickly, carded triple 7 next hole shanking my wedge shot: mixed feeling of frustration and relief. It was my first time playing at WM and never experience such a pace and pin position before. It was brutal to count 41 putts total

Driving game was on point. 3 wood was little disappointment but did not cost me big time. Driver was hotter than usual with only one wild slice @ 18th hole. Just for record, I outdrove @HighBoomingDraw by 2inch on 14th. That is all I needed.

Thankfully, my shank did not show up much and I was able to manage to hit relatively straight shot all day long. Small victory for myself that I did not lose a single ball throughout the round. But does that mean that I no longer can use new Kirkland ball?

I really had stuck with my game plan all along till 17th. As I started carding my score in the Grint, I saw the window of opportunity and started playing aggressively. That only led into double and quadruple to finish the round. Especially, my walk of shame on 18th was kindly videotaped on our google album.

All things aside, I cannot thank enough to those organized such a great event. Much looking forward to playing next one.

> @SoloShot84 said:

> So many takeaways from yesterday CC. I had an absolute blast out there with Andy, Dan and Gavin. Even though heat and crazy green sucked our souls, we were so cool as much as Gavin’s PowerAde shoes and Dan’s Neon golf ball.

>

> I kinda started my round sandbagging myself with a Par on #1 after warning everyone about my on-going shank issue. But quickly, carded triple 7 next hole shanking my wedge shot: mixed feeling of frustration and relief. It was my first time playing at WM and never experience such a pace and pin position before. It was brutal to count 41 putts total

>

> Driving game was on point. 3 wood was little disappointment but did not cost me big time. Driver was hotter than usual with only one wild slice @ 18th hole. Just for record, I outdrove @HighBoomingDraw by 2inch on 14th. That is all I needed.

> Thankfully, my shank did not show up much and I was able to manage to hit relatively straight shot all day long. Small victory for myself that I did not lose a single ball throughout the round. But does that mean that I no longer can use new Kirkland ball?

>

> I really had stuck with my game plan all along till 17th. As I started carding my score in the Grint, I saw the window of opportunity and started playing aggressively. That only led into double and quadruple to finish the round. Especially, my walk of shame on 18th was kindly videotaped on our google album.

>

> All things aside, I cannot thank enough to those organized such a great event. Much looking forward to playing next one.

>

Negative roll and a little spinny on 14, you got me. Never bad to be chipping on from 15 yds short of the green on a par 4 though! Fun playing w/ you!

Besides snap hook debacle 9s carded on 1 and 9, I actually hit the ball pretty well yesterday. Plenty of “what could have been” thoughts last night. Highlight for me was B2B birdies on 10 and 11. I laced a 3w to about 20 yards short of the green on 10 and almost holed the chip for eagle. I’d like to think I lived up to my handle on here as I was banging the driver out there pretty good all day.

Worthington is an awesome course. A welcomed change from playing Woodmore over and over. Woodmore is so exacting off the tee and beats me up time and time again. It was nice to really let it fly yesterday.

I'm kinda surprised to see 15 playing so easy for both of you, particularly City, who I assume usually tips it out. I think of that as a pretty stern test -- 190ish, all carry, into the prevailing wind (? maybe). I guess if Sull's playing from the whites, its barely more than a wedge? Hole always seems to play pretty hard for me.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

> @HighBoomingDraws said:

> > @SoloShot84 said:

> > So many takeaways from yesterday CC. I had an absolute blast out there with Andy, Dan and Gavin. Even though heat and crazy green sucked our souls, we were so cool as much as Gavin’s PowerAde shoes and Dan’s Neon golf ball.

> >

> > I kinda started my round sandbagging myself with a Par on #1 after warning everyone about my on-going shank issue. But quickly, carded triple 7 next hole shanking my wedge shot: mixed feeling of frustration and relief. It was my first time playing at WM and never experience such a pace and pin position before. It was brutal to count 41 putts total

> >

> > Driving game was on point. 3 wood was little disappointment but did not cost me big time. Driver was hotter than usual with only one wild slice @ 18th hole. Just for record, I outdrove @HighBoomingDraw by 2inch on 14th. That is all I needed.

> > Thankfully, my shank did not show up much and I was able to manage to hit relatively straight shot all day long. Small victory for myself that I did not lose a single ball throughout the round. But does that mean that I no longer can use new Kirkland ball?

> >

> > I really had stuck with my game plan all along till 17th. As I started carding my score in the Grint, I saw the window of opportunity and started playing aggressively. That only led into double and quadruple to finish the round. Especially, my walk of shame on 18th was kindly videotaped on our google album.

> >

> > All things aside, I cannot thank enough to those organized such a great event. Much looking forward to playing next one.

> >

>

> Negative roll and a little spinny on 14, you got me. Never bad to be chipping on from 15 yds short of the green on a par 4 though! Fun playing w/ you!

>

> Besides snap hook debacle 9s carded on 1 and 9, I actually hit the ball pretty well yesterday. Plenty of “what could have been” thoughts last night. Highlight for me was B2B birdies on 10 and 11. I laced a 3w to about 20 yards short of the green on 10 and almost holed the chip for eagle. I’d like to think I lived up to my handle on here as I was banging the driver out there pretty good all day.

>

> Worthington is an awesome course. A welcomed change from playing Woodmore over and over. Woodmore is so exacting off the tee and beats me up time and time again. It was nice to really let it fly yesterday.

I will say a couple of times I know it was HBD that drove it far. I believe on 7 I was chipping off the green and a ball lands right behind me. Same on 10. I will apologize for our group not yelling 4 when one of our guys hit driver off 9 and sliced into the tee box on 8. I think it might have been Andy, Dan, Young, and Gavin. We were just watching the ball to make sure where it landed and totally forget about the blues being right beside the tree line on 9. Sorry guys. Hope the ball wasn’t close.

If you look at my par 3/4/5 scoring averages (regardless of course), the trend is the opposite of City. For 3/4/5 he's at 0.4/0.3/0.1. I'm at 0.6/1.2/1.3.

I think City's scoring trend is more typical of a golfer, particularly a good one, who is as good off the tee as in other parts of their game. My tee game sucks much worse than my irons right now, which is why I'm the opposite. My game inside 170 is light years better than my tee game.