What Does Callaway Have In Store For 2019?

I was under the impression that the new 130 MSI Rogue wasn't going to come at quite as steep a price as the 125 MSI versions did, but perhaps not. Guess we'll see by this time tomorrow.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was under the impression that the new 130 MSI Rogue wasn't going to come at quite as steep a price as the 125 MSI versions did, but perhaps not. Guess we'll see by this time tomorrow.

Golf Works sells the 130s for $425 and Aldila.com has them listed as MSRP $450. I'm not sure where you got the impression that a 130MSI shaft was going to be cheaper...

Golf Works sells the 130s for $425 and Aldila.com has them listed as MSRP $450. I'm not sure where you got the impression that a 130MSI shaft was going to be cheaper...

Callaway does not pay near that price for them, and when you buy a $530 driver, they cut you in on the deal a bit.

Should a Pro Orange be a $450 upcharge? Nice $1000 driver......

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I think it was mentioned in a review from a place like PluggedInGolf, but obviously that wasn't accurate.

Bold move by Aldila, makes that shaft a lot pricier than a bunch of very formidable alternatives.

WITB Link

Correct, OEM's buy shafts (even for custom options) in quantities significant enough that they are able to negotiate a lower cost per unit.

WITB Link

Callaway does not pay near that price for them, and when you buy a $530 driver, they cut you in on the deal a bit.

You're right but I was comparing the 130's to products that are in a similar price range to give a good guess at what the uncharge will be. Cally upcharges $250 for tour AD shafts and Tensei Pro shafts so it's a safe bet the 130's will be the same.

I only mentioned the $450 MSRP of the 130 because bcflyguy got the impression that it was going to be priced lower than the 125s.

You're right but I was comparing the 130's to products that are in a similar price range to give a good guess at what the uncharge will be. Cally upcharges $250 for tour AD shafts and Tensei Pro shafts so it's a safe bet the 130's will be the same.

I only mentioned the $450 MSRP of the 130 because bcflyguy got the impression that it was going to be priced lower than the 125s.

Its 250 upcharge similar to PO.

It does quantify it in the sense that it displays what it measured for the four parameters that the sensor detects on a relative scale. It does not measure any aspects of the ball flight itself nor does it know what shaft it's been plugged into for the test swings its measuring. It makes a recommendation on what will produce optimal results based on the overall speed, tempo, and face rotation of any given swing. So far, it has proven to be accurate to the point of being almost creepy.

That is interesting. I am really interested in trying it out. Do you guys simply have a Callaway account, or are you a full fledged fitting shop? Reason I ask is, we don't have any true fitters in the area. We have an Austads. While their employees are great. They don't really have a lot of selection for fittings. I can test whatever Callaway has in the demo bag, but it is typically just the standard stock shafts. Lucky if there's anything in Xstiff. This would help to ascertain what my best options may be so I do a lot less "trial buying".

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I have one, and while it was a bit of a bear to set up the first time it is amazingly accurate. It recommended the exact shaft I have in both my driver and irons. I tested it on two other players at my club and it recommended the exact driver shaft that both play. Looking forward to using it more.

Where did you get it and how much was it?

They're not for sale, I do some part-time work for the company.

Ooh, one of the Austad's employees is a Callaway Tech Rep for demo days and such. Maybe he got his hands on one. I will have to give him a yell once the clubs are available to test.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

So I hit the '19 Apex, Apex Pro and the Epic Flash Gordon and Epic Flash Gordon Sub-Zero this afternoon indoor on a GC2... My thoughts along with a question for anyone that would know.

Current iron makeup is '16 Apex 5i (two weak); '16 Apex Pro (6/7i) one strong; '18 Apex MB (8-PW) one strong all with Recoil 95 F3

Current Driver is Epic 10.5 (set -1 animal style) with the stock Hzrds 5.5 cut down to play at 44.25"

I directly compared both 7-irons with the stock Elevate 95 shaft with my current gamer 7 iron.

Apex CF'19: Didn't spend a lot of time with this but it looks good. I like the black finish on back better than the Pro. Just slightly thicker topline and more offset- very similar at address to the CF16 I believe.

Apex Pro '19: Really liked the look and feel of this a lot. Sets up VERY similar to the Apex MB at address so it'll be ideal for combo with the MBs. Feel was very good. Numbers were pretty similar to my current Apex Pro. I would say I launched it a degree higher and on average had about 350-400 more RPM of spin which I liked. About 152 avg. carry with the 7i for me which is good number. Keep in mind I struggle to get enough spin so we're talking 5500 or so with my 7i compared to 5900 avg. with the new Pro.

My question for anyone that would know is how would the Elevate 95 staff compare to my Recoil 95? Was that slight launch and spin increase likely do to the shaft?

The Epic Flash Gordon and Sub-Zero look very good at address. I actually like the vertical line- reminds me of the old FT-3 driver. The sound is definitely louder but NOT nearly as negative as I was expecting after some reviews. After 3-4 swings I never noticed it.

Hard to get a direct comparison because even though I was fitted into my Epic I wasn't getting optimal numbers today at all. I was spinning way over 3,000+ on avg. and launching at around 19 with ball speeds in the pedestrian 138-140ish (I'm not a long player).

With that said, I was able to pick up some noticeable improvement by going with the 9 degree Sub-Zero head and a stiff shaft. Didn't get to try the Smoke but I hit the Tensei and the Project X Evergreen stock shaft in stiff. That got my spin down into the 2100 to 2400 range with launch between 16 and 19 which of course got my carry numbers up over 240 (even got one near 250)... I was carrying my gamer Epic around 235. For the record I did put my cut down shaft into the 9degree SubZero head also. Not a huge difference other than the spin came down a touch. Got my ball speed up to 145 a couple of times with the Flash Sub but they were also noticeably better strikes.

All in all it's a nice driver. If I was dialed in with my Epic I wouldn't upgrade but I'll have to consider it if I go for another fitting at my club this time and my spin is still way too high. Going to test again once my club gets the demo heads in so I can see it outdoors with TrackMan. I would say that what I was most pleased with is I do tend to hit driver all over the face- especally at 45.5" and I didn't get any of those ugly high toe nose dives that I tend to hit. Probably coincidence but the forgiveness seemed pretty good.

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

Wow. What a change of heart.

Initially when I hit the new Apex Pro’s I was very neutral, well I just went back and tried them again, this time with KBS $ Taper shafts and oh my God.......I fell in love. I can’t rememeber a time when I hit irons that made me smile from ear to ear. These are by far the best Callaway Irons I’ve ever hit, they are just all around great, from feel to sound to numbers to looks, everything ticks my boxes. Preordering on Saturday. 5-PW, KBS $ Taper 120’s, 2 degrees flat.

Now I have to figure out what I’m going to do with my other sets. Think I’m gonna hang on to my P760’s, sell my Z785’s and use that money towards this. Who knows I may just keep all 3 and fake my death so my wife doesn’t find me.

Initially when I hit the new Apex Pro's I was very neutral, well I just went back and tried them again, this time with KBS $ Taper shafts and oh my God.......I fell in love. I can't rememeber a time when I hit irons that made me smile from ear to ear. These are by far the best Callaway Irons I've ever hit, they are just all around great, from feel to sound to numbers to looks, everything ticks my boxes. Preordering on Saturday. 5-PW, KBS $ Taper 120's, 2 degrees flat.

Now I have to figure out what I'm going to do with my other sets. Think I'm gonna hang on to my P760's, sell my Z785's and use that money towards this. Who knows I may just keep all 3 and fake my death so my wife doesn't find me.

If you order through Callaway, right now they have a 50% trade in trade up bonus. I just ordered Apex 19's and after my trade in with the bonus it is only going to cost a couple hundred bucks for the Apex 19's.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

Its 250 upcharge similar to PO.

$300 for the 130s and they have them in both 60 and 70.

Initially when I hit the new Apex Pro's I was very neutral, well I just went back and tried them again, this time with KBS $ Taper shafts and oh my God.......I fell in love. I can't rememeber a time when I hit irons that made me smile from ear to ear. These are by far the best Callaway Irons I've ever hit, they are just all around great, from feel to sound to numbers to looks, everything ticks my boxes. Preordering on Saturday. 5-PW, KBS $ Taper 120's, 2 degrees flat.

Now I have to figure out what I'm going to do with my other sets. Think I'm gonna hang on to my P760's, sell my Z785's and use that money towards this. Who knows I may just keep all 3 and fake my death so my wife doesn't find me.

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

I found where I had read that. It was in the review on Plugged In Golf from back in October.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to drop the price on something that uses more expensive materials and a drastically more expensive finishing process.

Somebody floated it out there when the 125 was still a tour only product that it would cost $1,000 but they never sold for that so maybe if you really reach you can technically argue that the 130 is cheaper than what the $1K the 125 was supposedly going to sell for.

Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 105 is definitely an option and at no up-charge. In my experience this morning the site was lagging a little bit, so I'm sure there could have potentially been an error with not being able to see it as an option due to the volume of visitors during this first day of pre-ordering.

Titleist TSR2 9.0 with Graphite Design Tour AD-UB6S
[size=3]Titleist TSI2 13.5 degree with Graphite Design Tour AD-HD7S
Callaway Paradym Heavenwood
2023 TaylorMade P790 4-AW Nippon Pro Modus 120x
Titleist Vokey SM9 54 and 60 w/Nippon Pro Modus 120x
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2/TaylorMade Spider X Navy