2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

The 2018 Ryder Cup at Le Golf National (MERGED)

fillwelix

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hypothesis that the Euros are more accurate off the tee due to their growing up or playing the Euro Tour on "tighter" courses might or might not be true, but I suspect when adjusted for the multitude of variables that would have to be counted, the hypothesis would not be provable. Sounds nice, but like most ideas, it falls apart when held up to statistical rigor.

Quite possible. Could be that American golfers just aren't as good. I'm trying to give you guys an out here but people are taking it as some sort of slight on their manhood. Pretty pathetic really.

No it's a slight at your facts and hypothesis.

You tell my why you think USA are getting their arse kicked then?

The hypothesis that the Euros are more accurate off the tee due to their growing up or playing the Euro Tour on "tighter" courses might or might not be true, but I suspect when adjusted for the multitude of variables that would have to be counted, the hypothesis would not be provable. Sounds nice, but like most ideas, it falls apart when held up to statistical rigor.

Quite possible. Could be that American golfers just aren't as good. I'm trying to give you guys an out here but people are taking it as some sort of slight on their manhood. Pretty pathetic really.

What you are really doing is making the same mistake that most people do and what is displayed in the ESPN article linked earlier in the thread, in that we come up with stories and explanations to explain a chain of events. The classic "narrative fallacy" mistake. We like stories and don't like to admit that many outcomes are random and have no explanation.

At last the real reason. Yes the Americans are being outperfromed, the European players should get the credit. The American players have seen conditions like this before, this is not a completely alien experience for them. Using course setup as an excuse like Kevin Van Valkenburg is doing is pathetic.

Here's a Golf Digest article on the subject. And yes Captain Furyk saw it all coming.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/ryder-cup-2018-how-course-set-up-became-europes-biggest-weapon

Just read the link above. Its not my job to educate you.

It appears on this topic you won't be doing that to anyone based on your comments.

I think the "back from the pub" theory may be correct.

Get somebody to read it to you if your struggling.

Still waiting on your source of experience and knowledge. The crickets are getting louder.

Read it.

That article is dead on. Sad but true.

And, this year...I almost wonder if the pairings were formed by just drawing names out of a hat to see who plays with who and once the spots are filled...the rest sit out.

I think it all goes back to Spieth and Reed. Spieth wanted to get away from Reed because of Reed's arrogance and so forth. "My back is tired of carrying Jordan." So they broke up that pair. The problem is Reed is a lone wolf. Who do you put him with? They tried to put him with his idol and that backfired.

So Spieth gets to play with his friend Thomas, which breaks up Thomas and Fowler. Then Fowler needs a partner so they give him DJ, which breaks up Koepka/DJ. This article does a good job on the domino effect of breaking up Reed/Spieth...

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/24833830/2018-ryder-cup-us-had-plan-worked-last-ryder-cup-changed-it

All roads lead to reed being an word not allowed. Ruined his college teams and now the Ryder cup team. He should be banned to the north wall.

Just read the link above. Its not my job to educate you.

It appears on this topic you won't be doing that to anyone based on your comments.

I think the "back from the pub" theory may be correct.

Get somebody to read it to you if your struggling.

Still waiting on your source of experience and knowledge. The crickets are getting louder.

Read it.

Back up your comments with your source of knowledge of how US players grew up playing. I'm not reading anything except your words.

But thats my point. Our guys try the driver wedge game on tour but it's not how they learned their trade. Which is why we have that set up.

But it has nothing to do with the courses they play on. Pacific Northwest treelined/wet rough... bomb it, North East traditional courses with trees and interesting contours and doglegs... bomb it, Florida waterpark... bomb it, Southwest desert courses... bomb it, and on it goes.

It simply doesn't matter a lick.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

But thats my point. Our guys try the driver wedge game on tour but it's not how they learned their trade. Which is why we have that set up.

But it has nothing to do with the courses they play on. Pacific Northwest treelined/wet rough... bomb it, North East traditional courses with trees and interesting contours and doglegs... bomb it, Florida waterpark... bomb it, Southwest desert courses... bomb it, and on it goes.

You dont think it does. I think it does. Thats life.

I have the solution: instead of the top pga tour players throw in the top web.com players. Bet they would be hingey and not as pressured as would be obvious underdawgs. Only when we play in Europe. Genius or crazy?

Im not talking to a goat.

I have the solution: instead of the top pga tour players throw in the top web.com players. Bet they would be hingey and not as pressured as would be obvious underdawgs. Only when we play in Europe. Genius or crazy?

TBH that is what they should use the President's Cup for. Like when they are doing the Open Championship qualifier series, the top whatever not already qualified or something.

I know you're joking a bit, but really I think they should do something with the President's Cup like that.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

TBH that is what they should use the President's Cup for. Like when they are doing the Open Championship qualifier series, the top whatever not already qualified or something.

I know you're joking a bit, but really I think they should do something with the President's Cup like that.

This is what's really funny. The US team plays more team competitions with alternate shot and better ball matches than than the Europeans do because of the President's Cup and we STILL can't beat them.

ya dumbest thing I've heard

Hey if they win we can be like u seriously lost to the web.com tour?!?!

If European win we can be like no one cares u just played the web.com.

Should also hurt the rating for them. Hit the in the pocketbook.

4D chess people.

Im not talking to a goat.

A tiger-goat hybrid. Classic snob European owl.

Where were all the golf experts and ESPN staff writer geniuses when the USA was leading 3-1 after Friday's morning rounds? Amazing that nobody saw the blow out coming, now all of a sudden everybody is an expert.

What if USA comes back and wins? What will the story be if this happens? The wizardry of Furyk? Reed turning into Gallant from Goofus?

Genius!

Qualifies as the dumbest Ryder Cup idea ever. Might get 4 points if someone forfeits.

ya dumbest thing I've heard

Hey if they win we can be like u seriously lost to the web.com tour?!?!

If European win we can be like no one cares u just played the web.com.

Should also hurt the rating for them. Hit the in the pocketbook.

4D chess people.

TOS%2B2%2BWhere%2BNo%2BMan%2BHas%2BGone%2BBefore.jpg

Sadly, even if all the top stars left the European Tour for the US Tour for money reasons, the Bradley Dredges, Thomas Detrys and the Robert Rocks would still win.

Where were all the golf experts and ESPN staff writer geniuses when the USA was leading 3-1 after Friday's morning rounds? Amazing that nobody saw the blow out coming, now all of a sudden everybody is an expert.

What if USA comes back and wins? What will the story be if this happens? The wizardry of Furyk? Reed turning into Gallant from Goofus?

Most were saying let's see what happens in foursomes and were not too excited about what Tiger was going to contribute.

Awesome. This neatly sums up why everyone is challenging you on your point: you lack a cohesive argument, don't actually know what you are talking about, and have no way of backing it up with a single shred of evidence.

And then all you are left with - after bemoaning other's intelligence and civility is: I know you are but what am I.

Good luck anyone else, but I'm out, it's just too much of a bore now.

F.T.

Euros setup the course up perfect. US open type rough and slower greens. The only Americans not afraid to run a putt 2-3 feet by are spite hand Thomas. The rest are playing scared. There are way too many Americans missing fairways with fairway woods and even irons for godsake. To make matters worse they all look gassed. Way too much golf played by them leading up to this event. Terrible lead up. I think a week off would have made a difference. Made them sharper. I’m just spitballing but man

The 6 Euro players in the Tour Championship played just as many (I think all the top players had almost identical scheds from the PGA to the Ryder Cup) events as the US Players and they might have added in a quick trip home across the pond in between as well.

Except most of the Euro's played those courses their entire lives until they were good enough to make it to the PGA Tour and the USA team (except for Reed) has almost zero experience on Euro courses.

Koepka was a euro tour member too

the bolded is the problem and the delusion youre pushing. Reed was crap off the tee yet tiger never clubbed down to find fairways when reed was in trouble. Reed shot 80 tiger shot 76-77 at least.

Tiger was -2 through 12 holes with Reed this morning. At one point he dug them out of a hole and got the match to All Square. He played some shaky golf on the last few, but I don't think he would have shot what you are saying. Guess Brandel is as crazy as me...

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/chamblee-tiger-not-getting-support-partners/

Good point. We all know this game, on any course, can take you from zero to hero in the blink of an eye. All,on the day.

Got a thought here.. the USA team likes playing golf with each other...the boy band gang and all. But the euro players LOVE beating Americans. They absolutely thrive on that thrill alone.

As much as some may not want to admit it, that is the biggest difference in this event. Everything else adds a little or subtracts a little. I wouldn't be surprised if the EU players collectively over the years feels like the US players don't necessarily respect their game (whether true or not) with the exception of a couple of guys and they take great pleasure in this event.

Ever think that the Euros are way underrated? And I mean way way underrated. Look at the way Francesco and Tommy F played this year. JR is #1. Rory still has game. Henrik Stenson is still a stud. Ian Poulter is a Ryder Cup boogeyman and has played well this year.

Their weaker links aren’t nearly as weak as our wet noodle soft as Charmin guys. Lol

Ping G430 LST 9 Ventus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2