2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

The 2018 Ryder Cup at Le Golf National (MERGED)

fillwelix

^6. You've missed by half.

We covered the sched EXCUSE earlier ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That article is dead on. Sad but true.

And, this year...I almost wonder if the pairings were formed by just drawing names out of a hat to see who plays with who and once the spots are filled...the rest sit out.

I think it all goes back to Spieth and Reed. Spieth wanted to get away from Reed because of Reed's arrogance and so forth. "My back is tired of carrying Jordan." So they broke up that pair. The problem is Reed is a lone wolf. Who do you put him with? They tried to put him with his idol and that backfired.

So Spieth gets to play with his friend Thomas, which breaks up Thomas and Fowler. Then Fowler needs a partner so they give him DJ, which breaks up Koepka/DJ. This article does a good job on the domino effect of breaking up Reed/Spieth...

http://www.espn.com/...-cup-changed-it

All roads lead to reed being an word not allowed. Ruined his college teams and now the Ryder cup team. He should be banned to the north wall.

He was instrumental in the 2016 win, lets not rewrite history here. he was 6-2-1 before this year. Took down Stenson and Rory in singles. guy is struggling but his last 2 RC have been incredible.

LOL on the fly i knew id miss..but not by half... post amended..

BUt to the point .. dont you think home court advantage negates some of that 4 week straight schedule? Call it an excuse if you like , or maybe a non issue.... But scheduling it all on top of each other to finsih before football IS NOT HELPING the cause .

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

What amuses me is how, on the US side of the pond, whenever the US gets thrashed, the immediate mindset seems to be that there is a problem with:

A) The Captain

B) The system by which the US picks it's team

C) The way the PGA sets up it's courses

D) Team chemistry sucks

It never seems to occur to anybody in the USA that these Europeans are really good golfers, and their team is comprised of top golfers from an entire continent and the UK, and they play a lot of golf in these countries, and have excellent programs to develop golfers.

Why is everyone so shocked? Its been happening Since all of Europe was allowed to compete .

small correction made ^

sure they are good ... But they arent better as some would say . personally think having the tour championship right on top of the Ryder cup helps the Euro team some... Notice how Spieth is playing well .. hes rested ...didnt make east lake.. Very poor scheduling not to have a week off before in my opinion .. Another example of $ over common sense

The list of excuses is shocking ... How about the Euros are playing better golf, and leave it at that?

Pet peeve of mine is when people cite reasons as excuses... we would like to know "why".... they dont just show up one day and play bad or good ...always reasons for both..an none are excuses.

The majority if the US team played east lake ... i count 3 Europeans who did ( i could have missed some) ...having rest vs playing 3 weeks straight and a trans atlantic flight is a reason , not an excuse . Like orange gravy said ..if they played well and lose..no problem.. But your guys arent curb stomping anyones A game.. i see all Cs and some Ds out there ....im just hypothesizing , why ?

Well, I'm American, so my guys are getting killed right now. But honestly, playing golf for 3 straight weeks is not that laborious. Guys do it in season all the time. And yes, there is a plane ride, but this isn't 1950. Thus guys ride in luxury. Sometimes it's better to just take your whoopin and wait till next time than looking for every "reason' why you're losing ...

Of course, it ain't over yet.

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Does anyone else think YJS should have sucked it up and played with Cap America? [for the good of the team]

Seriously. Does anyone think this?

yes if that truly was the plan and Jordan or Justin lobbied to change it. That's the tough thing about this Golf. Most of these guys don't grow having to do what a coach thinks is the best for the team to the degree that other sports demand. I'd like to think everyone comes to the captain after the team is picked and says "I'm ready to do whatever you need" and not "I'm ready to do whatever you need and except play with so and so". I'm sure some say it, but not sure they all mean it

Spieth wasn't going to be any more successful than Tiger at dragging Reed's corpse around this weekend.

Maybe, maybe not. I was speaking to the possibility of pissing other people in the room off if they lobbied to partner up, thereby forcing other planned pairings to change. Not just who is Reed playing with. Of course it's hypothetical anyway at this point

Does anyone else think YJS should have sucked it up and played with Cap America? [for the good of the team]

I do. Personally, I don't think you need the players trying to run the team. You have a "Captain" who is supposed to be doing that.

I heard this comment a while back about why the Europeans are such a cohesive bunch. Wish I could remember the European players name who said this but his comment was 'Often time we play in locations where there are not a lot of hotels in the area (unlike you have in the US) so we often share rooms together. So, not only do we travel together, eat together but we also share rooms together. We are friends but like many friends we want to beat our friends when we are playing regular tour events.

What amuses me is how, on the US side of the pond, whenever the US gets thrashed, the immediate mindset seems to be that there is a problem with:

A) The Captain

B) The system by which the US picks it's team

C) The way the PGA sets up it's courses

D) Team chemistry sucks

It never seems to occur to anybody in the USA that these Europeans are really good golfers, and their team is comprised of top golfers from an entire continent and the UK, and they play a lot of golf in these countries, and have excellent programs to develop golfers.

Why is everyone so shocked? Its been happening Since all of Europe was allowed to compete .

small correction made ^

sure they are good ... But they arent better as some would say . personally think having the tour championship right on top of the Ryder cup helps the Euro team some... Notice how Spieth is playing well .. hes rested ...didnt make east lake.. Very poor scheduling not to have a week off before in my opinion .. Another example of $ over common sense

The list of excuses is shocking ... How about the Euros are playing better golf, and leave it at that?

Pet peeve of mine is when people cite reasons as excuses... we would like to know "why".... they dont just show up one day and play bad or good ...always reasons for both..an none are excuses.

The majority if the US team played east lake ... i count 3 Europeans who did ( i could have missed some) ...having rest vs playing 3 weeks straight and a trans atlantic flight is a reason , not an excuse . Like orange gravy said ..if they played well and lose..no problem.. But your guys arent curb stomping anyones A game.. i see all Cs and some Ds out there ....im just hypothesizing , why ?

Well, I'm American, so my guys are getting killed right now. But honestly, playing golf for 3 straight weeks is not that laborious. Guys do it in season all the time. And yes, there is a plane ride, but this isn't 1950. Thus guys ride in luxury. Sometimes it's better to just take your whoopin and wait till next time than looking for every "reason' why you're losing ...

Of course, it ain't over yet.

I suppose.. i just think thats an old school ignorant approach..one that Fed us loosing for all those years .. the " suck it up and admit defeat" mentality is nonsense... Theres always a reason , and calling reasons excuses doesnt change that .

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

He was instrumental in the 2016 win, lets not rewrite history here. he was 6-2-1 before this year. Took down Stenson and Rory in singles. guy is struggling but his last 2 RC have been incredible.

He was awesome in 2014 and 2016. But it sure looks like his comments in the media about Spieth have led to a ripple effect that broke up 3 strong teams so Spieth could get away from Reed and play with his good friend JT.

LOL on the fly i knew id miss..but not by half... post amended..

BUt to the point .. dont you think home court advantage negates some of that 4 week straight schedule? Call it an excuse if you like , or maybe a non issue.... But scheduling it all on top of each other to finsih before football IS NOT HELPING the cause .

They know the course - or at least better than the US players, but no one lives in Paris.

Heck, are there more than 4 or them that still have their main residence in Europe? If anyone is bothered by the schedule I'd say Rory would be more than most. He doesn't seem interested enough in golf to go on a long run.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I agree that Tiger hasn't played well enough, but I don't act upset.

Sure bud... keep going down this path if you think it makes you look good. Youre a tiger is GOAT guy in every thread, youre incapable of being critical of him. "hasnt played well enough"... give me a break, hes been terrible.If he was 3-0 and playing lights out for once id be in here praising him. You cant have it both ways. Just because you pretend doesnt mean i do..

I've been plenty critical of Tiger over the years. I'm just capable of contextualizing. Your m.o. is to ostensibly root for his success while constantly reminding us of his shortcomings.

Tiger has done incredibly well in match play format throughout his career, without a teammate.

for sure.. im not trying to whine..if the Euros close it tommorow its certainly deserved ..I just take exception when some one says " play better".... Ive been told that a good bit when complaining of certain instances of short coming in my comps... My standard response is "no s***"... But the helpful conversation is about the reasons why or how to play better.. Playing better doesnt just happen because you decide to . You have to find the flaw in the slaw 1st.

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Seriously. Does anyone think this?

dont think it would matter.. I think Spieth helped JT get going and they worked well together.. won same matches that Spieth / Reed would have been in ... Jt may have gone out with someone like tiger and felt no energy and stunk it up..he started slow on friday ... Spieth is the common good denominator here in my book . Even if Reed has carried him in some matches before

Thomas would have been with Fowler. The Reed/Spieth divorce is more about the ripple effect in my opinion. JT/Fowler seemed like a strong pair at the Presidents Cup. We know DJ/Koepka were a strong pair. So once they broke up Koepka/DJ to give DJ to Fowler, now you've busted up 3 good teams.

I tend to think the ballstriking is the ballstriking (it mostly sucks this week for the American team), but you never know with the putting. That might have gone a different way for these guys if they were in the expected groups instead of Furyk's switch-a-roo.

That's what I'm getting at. Splitting up YJS/Reed has had a ripple effect that has effectively changed the entirety of team-play.

1. YJS and Pat were savage together

2. Rickie and JT were strong together

3. DJ and Keopka were great together

4. Jim now has to:

• Break up YJS and Reed
  • Break up Rickie and JT
  • Break up DJ and Brooks
  • Misc changes

5. This has felt like a complete cluster-f*** so far and I can't help but feel that is it rooted in either:

a. the fact that Reed is a douch and no one wants to play with him or,

b. YJS should have understood that Reed is a ****** and just sucked it up for the good of the rest of the team

6. Reed and/or YJS had a SERIOUSLY negative impact on the first two days of competition.

- I understand YJS and JT have won some points but at what cost?

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Phil is obviously paired against Molinari as a sacrifice so the better players have a chance to to beat weaker Euro players. Like when Obi Wan Kenobi sacrificed himself to help the Rebels.

It's supposedly a blind selection by the captains though. I give Molinari about 95% chance to win that match, but you never know with Mickelson. He is still a guy with 5 majors, 40+ wins, and the ability to flip a switch. If he brings his A game, that match will be a lot more competitive than we expect.

Right that's enough for me, till tomorrow.

6.5/5.5 for the singles Sunday is my guess...

But regardless of who wins the Ryder Cup tomorrow, the real winners are the owners of the boutiques, salons, and courturiers along the Champs Elysées and Rue Saint Honore.

When the players leave and take their WAGs with them, tears will be shed.

F.T.

I agree that Tiger hasn't played well enough, but I don't act upset.

Sure bud... keep going down this path if you think it makes you look good. Youre a tiger is GOAT guy in every thread, youre incapable of being critical of him. "hasnt played well enough"... give me a break, hes been terrible.If he was 3-0 and playing lights out for once id be in here praising him. You cant have it both ways. Just because you pretend doesnt mean i do..

I've been plenty critical of Tiger over the years. I'm just capable of contextualizing. Your m.o. is to ostensibly root for his success while constantly reminding us of his shortcomings.

Tiger has done incredibly well in match play format throughout his career, without a teammate.

Your projection is noted. if you cant see the hypocrisy of your post i cant help you. take care

Phil is obviously paired against Molinari as a sacrifice so the better players have a chance to to beat weaker Euro players. Like when Obi Wan Kenobi sacrificed himself to help the Rebels.

It's supposedly a blind selection by the captains though. I give Molinari about 95% chance to win that match, but you never know with Mickelson. He is still a guy with 5 majors, 40+ wins, and the ability to flip a switch. If he brings his A game, that match will be a lot more competitive than we expect.

Yeah Phil can be a total wildcard sometimes.

for sure.. im not trying to whine..if the Euros close it tommorow its certainly deserved ..I just take exception when some one says " play better".... Ive been told that a good bit when complaining of certain instances of short coming in my comps... My standard response is "no s***"... But the helpful conversation is about the reasons why or how to play better.. Playing better doesnt just happen because you decide to . You have to find the flaw in the slaw 1st.

I can totally get down with that ... Things like drive the ball straighter, not longer ... Adjust to different greens faster ... Be able to change your gameplan on the fly ... I think those are the factors the US players should be looking at when playing one Euro home soil.

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Where is Europe going to get their "definite" 4.5 points? :lol:

1. Molinari def Mickelson

2. Hatton def. Reed

3. Stenson def. Watson

4. Noren def. DeChambeau

5. Fleetwood A/S Finau

Hatton will not beat Reed. And yes I've been watching all 3 days

Patrick will need to flip a magic switch and stop driving it 40 yards offline. Lol smh

He was the master of the draw and now tries to cut everything.He was working it both ways at augusta so effortlessly it was scary good. play low draws off the tee and have at it Patrick!

Reed was the master of the draw and now tries to cut everything.He was working it both ways at augusta so effortlessly it was scary good. play low draws off the tee and have at it Patrick!

Reed looked so awesome at Augusta. And this week his putting stroke has abandoned him too. That has usually been one of his biggest strengths. We need him to flip a switch tomorrow. Hell, we need a bunch of guys to flip the switch lol

Agree. Molinari looks like a sure bet, but I guarantee deep down he has some concern. The really good version of Phil could show up at any moment. If you don't think he is capable of beating Frankie in a 18 hole match you're delusional.

Sim max driver
915 4w
913 hybrid
C300 4 iron...Staff Model blade 5-P
Vokey wedges

SpiderX

TP5

I like the cut of lowheels jib

As a Brit in Texas let me put my perspective in

Golf, brutal game and momentum is everything. There’s not much wrong with the American team imho, and the us could have easily wine 3 of the past 4 Ryder cups. All about putts dropping at the right time and momentum is key.

I think the US will get better when “big fat goalie (Phil)” buggers off and also Tiger, both are a hindrance

Absolutely telling on Monday tiger going off on “these players wanted to see me at my best, jokingly, we’ll bring it”. There and then I knew he’d not changed and that it’s all about me me me me. Even his own team mates. Leopard never changes its spots. One of the greatest to have graced the game, but brought up to not have an interest, when the cops are down to be a team player.

Poulter, basically a golf driving range pro, who feels he has to prove himself at every opportunity is made for team comps. He loves getting under the us skins and the yanks font seem to understand it’s all an act. Just playing and beating these guys is everything to him as deep down he still doesn’t think he’s worthy. So a win is a big fu to everyone lol.

Tomorrow, don’t count out an American comeback, you have some great players, few putts drop and it is game on.

Poulter is always glass is half full, as are most of the euros. There’s no I in team but there are a lot of me’s.

And Phil, hope he loses 10 and 8, throw your captain under the bus, f*** off, another me me me me me

For me this event lost a lot of relevance after the president's cup....it's just too much golf in this format every year. It's not like PC is better , it's a farce putting guys from Canada on the same team with guya from South Africa and austrasia. Then the Olympics further diluted it's value. This year it's down to having no interest to me (other than this post) due to it coming a week after tigers first win in years, which was more memorable than even the majors.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon MKii DI 3 Axiom 105

Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-PW KBS Tour 

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball