Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro Series.

vanya

• 2 weeks later...

> @awtryau89 said:

> Moved on from mine. I absolutely loved the iron and thought I was set. Feel, looks, distance, etc were all there. I just had issues with turf interaction. Just not sure what it was but I do have a steeper swing and like to take divots. I would have thought with the wider sole it would not have been an issue but these just did not work well for me. They got stuck and just would not get through the turf. Just my experience and they are a great iron but I went back to my i500s and have no issues in this area. Feel and sound are not nearly as good but they work much better through the turf.

Look into z585s for great turf interaction

> @johnnybogey said:

> Quick question.

>

> Just restarted with graphite shafts and while taking some practice swings, I can hear a whizzing noise. Now I don’t swing fast but it’s the sound you hear when guys swing really fast.

>

> Is it possible the ever so slight cavity is causing a wind tunnel? Lol

Yes, the ribs at the top of the cavity tend to cause a bit of a sound.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

> @Jlender21 said:

> Hi guys, anyone hit these against ping i500 and P790? Any thoughts on distance and forgiveness comparing these models. Thanks

I hit all of them (HMP, i500 and P790) in a recent fitting and distance was largely the same (I think they have the same or similar loft specs so that would make sense). The HMP were the most consistent for me (not a knock on the others or suggesting that the others don’t work better for other swings) and were more forgiving IMO. Really pleased with them.

• Like 1

Edit. Just read the entire thread and saw the answer. Doh!

Hello all. New to the forums and this is my first post. Had these for about a month. Custom fitted with modus pro 105. MCC blue with an extra wrap and 2 degree flat lie.

Love them so far but a bit turned off by the whoosing sound the long irons make. I guess the cavity design makes them do that. Anyone else had that experience?

> @MIGuy said:

> Edit. Just read the entire thread and saw the answer. Doh!

>

>

> Hello all. New to the forums and this is my first post. Had these for about a month. Custom fitted with modus pro 105. MCC blue with an extra wrap and 2 degree flat lie.

>

> Love them so far but a bit turned off by the whoosing sound the long irons make. I guess the cavity design makes them do that. Anyone else had that experience?

Interstingly.. I havent noticed any different or noticie whooshing sound.. 2 sets in our family, one set with KBS Tour shafts, another with Recoil graphite... no swooshing, but really love the crisp sound when struck well!

Ping G400 SF Tec 9* - Mitsubishi C6 Blue Shaft - Stiff @ 45.25"
Ping G 3w SFT @ 16* - Ping Alta CB - Stiff 
Ping G400 19* Hybrid - Ping Alta CB - Stiff
Ping G400 22* Hybrid - Ping Alta CB - Stiff
Ping G400 26* Hybrid - Ping Alta CB - Stiff
Mizuno  919 Hot Metal Pro 6i-GW, Recoil 95 F3 
Mizuno S18 Wedges in 55* and 60*, Recoil F3
Ping Sigma 2 Anser @ 33"

I have had my set for a few weeks now. i have 5-PW with Nippon Modus Pro 105. Coming from a 900 Forged/Tour combo. Really enjoying the added foregiveness for what’s only a moderate loss of feel and cosmetics vs previous setup.

Question: Did anyone get the 919 Forged GW and if so how is it working? i have a S18 50 deg right now but wonder how 919F GW would be in comparison. I mainly hit full shots with the S18 50 deg,

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

> @Jlender21 said:

> Anyone compare these to i210?

Close.. so I just moved from the i200 with Modus 105s to the HM Pro with Recoil 95s. A small learning curve moving from stiff to regular flex, but finding the R flex Recoils extremely stable.. enjoying them quite a bit.

Biggest difference between the i200 and HM Pro is really the lofts. If I recall, the 7i is 33 degrees for i200, 30 degree for HM Pro.. however, I'm finding the launch angle is just a touch lower with the HM Pro, but ball speed is up by about 3mph so peak heights are the same, and spin is the same.. so end results are very similar, with a little added distance on the HM Pro.. I'm seeing about a 5 yard carry increase moving to the HM Pro.

Feel is really good on both the i200 and the HM Pro. Personally I prefer the HM Pro feel. I really like the hot feel off the face myself, and I'm finding distance control is superb on the HM Pro. Actually my distance control is better in many ways, because thin and toe shots end up closer to my normal carry distance than the i200s.. so overall forgiveness on mishits is better with the HM Pro than the i200s.

Hope that's helpful.

Ping Sigma 2 Anser @ 33"

> @MyShortGameSucks said:

> I have had my set for a few weeks now. i have 5-PW with Nippon Modus Pro 105. Coming from a 900 Forged/Tour combo. Really enjoying the added foregiveness for what’s only a moderate loss of feel and cosmetics vs previous setup.

>

> Question: Did anyone get the 919 Forged GW and if so how is it working? i have a S18 50 deg right now but wonder how 919F GW would be in comparison. I mainly hit full shots with the S18 50 deg,

So, I have the 919 Gap Wedge.. It is not the set wedge that comes with the 919 Forged, it's the 919 Gap Wedge that would go with the HM or HM Pro, but it's certainly not a hot face club like the HM series. I was uncertain if I'd like it but to be honest I really like it a lot. I don't find it off putting as some others here have... yes, the paint fill is white on the 919 Gap vs the black paintfill on the HM Pro.. but so what. It blends just fine in the set, and is a good transition from the HM Pro to the S18 55 and 60 degree wedges I have. If the white paint fill is that bothersome, get some acetone, strip it, and re-paint it black with some model paint.. solved.

Feel on the 919 Gap is great. It's got a thinner sole and profile than my old i200 U wedge, and I find it much better on the eye when chipping with it.. the i200 U wedge was a little clunky looking to me for chipping so rarely used it. I find I'm using the 919 Gap more often for long chips, and seems to have more spin on short shots, and is a little lower launching than my i200 U wedge.

Having said that, I like my s18 wedges even more... and although I considered an s18 50 degree wedge instead of the 919 Gap, I think the 919 Gap will be mildly more forgiving, and I use my 50 mostly on full swings far more than chipping/partial shots, so went with something more closely matched to my irons. I would use that as your decision point... if you chip/pitch more often with your 50, the s18 may be more versatile and offer a little better feel. If mostly full shots go with the gap more closely matched to your irons.

• Like 1

Ping Sigma 2 Anser @ 33"

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve read through most of this thread more than once over the past few weeks, as I plan to order a set of 919 HMPs soon. I’ve held off mainly because I’m undecided on shaft.

I decided to bump the thread because I noticed that several people who posted very positive reviews about these irons earlier this year now have different irons shown in their WITB signatures. I realize that this is WRX and many of us change clubs frequently, and I also realize that some signatures might be outdated. But what I’m really trying to uncover is whether any/many of you liked/loved these HMPs at first and then changed your minds later. And if so, why?

I’m pretty sure these will work well for me but before I order a set, I’d like to make sure that there isn’t something about them that WRXers aren’t loving in the longer term. Thanks for any comments.

Titleist TSR3 9 Diamana GT 60S | Ping G430 10.5 Tensei Pro Blue 60S 
Callaway Ai Smoke Max 16.5 Diamana ZF 70S | Titleist TSR2+ 14.5 Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 19H GD AD IZ 85S
Ping G425 22H GD AD IZ 85S
Callaway Apex '24 5-AW Nippon Tour 115S
Cleveland RTX6 54-10 & 58-10 Nippon 115 Wedge
Scotty 009M SSS

Had a chance to get a round in with new shafts in my HMP’s. Recoil 95 Prototype shafts.

2 times, both Par 3s, stuck it to within 2 feet and of course, 2 putted both times. ???

2 times, with my 5 iron about 185 ish out, both times, landed on the green and rolled off the green. ???

I am typically a high launch high spin player so a bit surprised I couldn’t hold the green on both occasions.

Overall, very pleased with the setup.

> @BCA said:

> I’ve read through most of this thread more than once over the past few weeks, as I plan to order a set of 919 HMPs soon. I’ve held off mainly because I’m undecided on shaft.

>

> I decided to bump the thread because I noticed that several people who posted very positive reviews about these irons earlier this year now have different irons shown in their WITB signatures. I realize that this is WRX and many of us change clubs frequently, and I also realize that some signatures might be outdated. But what I’m really trying to uncover is whether any/many of you liked/loved these HMPs at first and then changed your minds later. And if so, why?

>

> I’m pretty sure these will work well for me but before I order a set, I’d like to make sure that there isn’t something about them that WRXers aren’t loving in the longer term. Thanks for any comments.

Had my HMPs with Recoil 95s in F3 flex about 4-6 weeks now. Coming from i200s with Modus 105 stiff shafts. Liked them at first, then lost my swing for a few weeks with both sets of irons... as I get back on track, really liking them.. but there are definate differences from my i200s. When well struck HMPs launch higher and gained about 5 yds carry in 8-9i, about 6-9yds carry 6,7i. When struck thin, launch lower than my i200s but spin well. Toe hits are FAR more forgiving than my i200s. Juicy rough shots though do knock a little more spin off and get a low hot knuckleball on occasion, but I think it just looks worse due to the 3 degree loft difference... they aren't fliers that go 20 extra yards, just low launching shooters that end up about where I need them to, they just look horrible. Lol.. so far, still liking them, but the yardage and misses are different than the i200s so taking some adjustments.

Ping Sigma 2 Anser @ 33"

> @"Tony B" said:

> > @BCA said:

> > I’ve read through most of this thread more than once over the past few weeks, as I plan to order a set of 919 HMPs soon. I’ve held off mainly because I’m undecided on shaft.

> >

> > I decided to bump the thread because I noticed that several people who posted very positive reviews about these irons earlier this year now have different irons shown in their WITB signatures. I realize that this is WRX and many of us change clubs frequently, and I also realize that some signatures might be outdated. But what I’m really trying to uncover is whether any/many of you liked/loved these HMPs at first and then changed your minds later. And if so, why?

> >

> > I’m pretty sure these will work well for me but before I order a set, I’d like to make sure that there isn’t something about them that WRXers aren’t loving in the longer term. Thanks for any comments.

>

> Had my HMPs with Recoil 95s in F3 flex about 4-6 weeks now. Coming from i200s with Modus 105 stiff shafts. Liked them at first, then lost my swing for a few weeks with both sets of irons... as I get back on track, really liking them.. but there are definate differences from my i200s. When well struck HMPs launch higher and gained about 5 yds carry in 8-9i, about 6-9yds carry 6,7i. When struck thin, launch lower than my i200s but spin well. Toe hits are FAR more forgiving than my i200s. Juicy rough shots though do knock a little more spin off and get a low hot knuckleball on occasion, but I think it just looks worse due to the 3 degree loft difference... they aren't fliers that go 20 extra yards, just low launching shooters that end up about where I need them to, they just look horrible. Lol.. so far, still liking them, but the yardage and misses are different than the i200s so taking some adjustments.

Thanks for the feedback.

I looked at the i210s at PGA SS last week and was really impressed with their appearance at address, and I've never played Ping irons. But I definitely want a little more help than that. Not to mention that I love Mizuno irons.

Titleist TSR3 9 Diamana GT 60S | Ping G430 10.5 Tensei Pro Blue 60S 
Callaway Ai Smoke Max 16.5 Diamana ZF 70S | Titleist TSR2+ 14.5 Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 19H GD AD IZ 85S
Ping G425 22H GD AD IZ 85S
Callaway Apex '24 5-AW Nippon Tour 115S
Cleveland RTX6 54-10 & 58-10 Nippon 115 Wedge
Scotty 009M SSS

I played my new set about 6 times now (HM 4-5 & HMP 6-P) love the pros, jury is still out on the regular hot metals, i love the look at address, the feel, forgiveness, distance. Can't say a bad word about them.........yet

Titleist Tsr2 9*

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5*

PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 16*

PXG 0317X Gen 4 20.5*

Ping i210 5-P (26*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

> I have had my set for a few weeks now. i have 5-PW with Nippon Modus Pro 105. Coming from a 900 Forged/Tour combo. Really enjoying the added foregiveness for what’s only a moderate loss of feel and cosmetics vs previous setup.

>

> Question: Did anyone get the 919 Forged GW and if so how is it working? i have a S18 50 deg right now but wonder how 919F GW would be in comparison. I mainly hit full shots with the S18 50 deg,

>

I have the HMP 7-pw and the 919F gap wedge. The forged gap is my favorite club in my bag, period. Only down side is it may leave you wanting to trade in your HMPs for all 919 forged set. ????

• Like 1

Current Gamers
TBD 10.5*, Tour AD IZ 5R
ROGUE MAX 3HL, Heavenwood

PING G410  22*, 26* Hybrids 

PXG Gen5 0311P 7-GW, steelfiber 70
CALLAWAY  MD5 - 56*, 60*
Tour Issue Evnroll ER8 Black, 355 g
2021 Maxfli Tour
2021 PROV1

> @gridironesq said:

>

> I have the HMP 7-pw and the 919F gap wedge. The forged gap is my favorite club in my bag, period. Only down side is it may leave you wanting to trade in your HMPs for all 919 forged set. ????

I'm struggling with this as well right now. Can't get 919 Forged out of my mind. I try to remind myself, get irons for days when your swing is off, hence, HMP.

> @Barfolomew said:

> So how many of you HMP guys are jonesing to try the new HMB?

I need to go hit the HMB but I think it's going to be too low flight for me since I dont hit down on the ball much. The 919F are better than the HMP for me, though.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

> @Barfolomew said:

I certainly am. Ordered a set of HMPs before the HMBs dropped. Knew they were coming but had no idea they would be similar in size. Just played 1st round with HMPs. On the range I gave them an A+. Struggled with them on the course, but I loved the looks, feel, and offset. Will certainly hit the HMBs and wouldn't be surprised if I gave them a shot.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

> @third-times-a-charm said:

> > @Barfolomew said:

> > So how many of you HMP guys are jonesing to try the new HMB?

>

> I need to go hit the HMB but I think it's going to be too low flight for me since I dont hit down on the ball much. The 919F are better than the HMP for me, though.

Same here... I need some help in trajectory as I get older and speed decreases... HMPs are great for .e for that. I want to try the HMBs though just to see, but I assume the HMPs will out perform them. I tried the 919 Forged as well... they was not much difference for me between the HMP and 919 Forged in terms of ball flight.. so went with the extra forgiveness in the HMP for the off days.. :)

Ping Sigma 2 Anser @ 33"

• 3 weeks later...

> @Barfolomew said:

Went to hit the HMB's one more time at the store. I had decent results the first go around, liked the feel, ball flight etc. Todays results were not as positive as the last time out. Had some time to kill so I decided to try a few other clubs in the fitting cart. One of them was the HMP, it wasn't as pleasing to the eye as the HMB , but the results more than made up for the difference in curb appeal. Higher, straighter, longer and they looked great at address, spin was lower but I'm hoping the added height would make up for the lower spin. Hitting off the matts is no way to determine whether something will work for one self but I was definitely happy I chose to try the HMP. They tick a lot of boxes for me, once again I'm a little late to the party, but I'm glad I attended. Added bonus is the HMP's are now getting into my price range. I like that alot.

> @Stonewalled said:

> > @Barfolomew said:

> > So how many of you HMP guys are jonesing to try the new HMB?

>

> Went to hit the HMB's one more time at the store. I had decent results the first go around, liked the feel, ball flight etc. Todays results were not as positive as the last time out. Had some time to kill so I decided to try a few other clubs in the fitting cart. One of them was the HMP, it wasn't as pleasing to the eye as the HMB , but the results more than made up for the difference in curb appeal. Higher, straighter, longer and they looked great at address, spin was lower but I'm hoping the added height would make up for the lower spin. Hitting off the matts is no way to determine whether something will work for one self but I was definitely happy I chose to try the HMP. They tick a lot of boxes for me, once again I'm a little late to the party, but I'm glad I attended. Added bonus is the HMP's are now getting into my price range. I like that alot.

>

>

Good to read your comparison. I just got the HMPs not long ago, and been itching to try the HMBs... If they performed the same I would much prefer the looks of the HMBs.. they are sooo pretty... not that the Pros are any slouch at all... but if performing equally, personal preference takes over at that point.

I suspect the HMPs will be more forgiving and launch higher by design (wider sole, cavity, low center of gravity). Seems you found that in your comparison as well... I'm still going to give the HMBs a try, but not going out of my way... I'm incredibly happy with the HM Pros so far. Like you, my only wish is if I could get a little more spin through the mid-long irons on the HM Pros, but it's not like balls are rolling out any more than usual, so from a launch monitor perspective more spin might be optimal, but in every day play, not seeing any differences from my i200s in terms of stopping power.

When I compare the HMPs to my i200s on my Skytrak, loft for loft the spin is largely the same... my HMP 7i is essentially the same loft as my i200 6i... so if I compare those two, the spin is similar... at the same loft... comparing 7i to 7i, my ball speed is up significantly on the HMP, peak height is higher, landing angle is still the same, and I picked up 7-8 yards of carry at the expense of maybe 500 rpm of spin.. good trade off in my opinion.. and the HMPs feel great.. they are just explosive.. and for me, I have much less side spin on the HMPs than I got with the i200s. Could be the Recoil shafts or the offset.. don't care really.. the HMPs seem to be performing great for me.

Ping Sigma 2 Anser @ 33"