Rick Shiels Cobra F9 Speedback driver review, the one to beat in 2019?

Hedgehog

I appreciate the comparisons, but they are completely irrelevant. The clubs compared differ greatly in set up (shaft, length, loft). Additionally his performance varies on a daily basis, too. All the ball speeds are within 2 miles per hour. That is not a significant change and could change easily, if retested. I am sure the Cobra is a great driver, but so are the others. The title is clickbait. Not much more.

Bullseye.

And in reference to some other posts, people are not being "negative". These days when you simply present the facts, it's viewed as "hating" if those facts don't align with some people's opinions. It's best to simply present the facts and let people do with them what they will. If you want to take multi variable hitting sessions by a single guy as gospel, nobody is stopping you.

Watch or don't watch. F the hate, if you don't like it don't watch. I love all the guys doing reviews. If you want perfect get off your f'n a** do it yourself post it and live with the hate. If you hate you are milktoast and weakminded. Yes you.

In case youve been under a rock, that's exactly what we do. We post testing results from multiple players with all variables removed. If you guys want to base your purchase decisions of random single guy videos with a host of variables, be my guest. It's like basing your world views off of watching Jimmy Kimmel but hey, to each his own. I really should know better than to try educate in a thread like this.

Location of those tests? Your domain name goes nowhere.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt I would have gotten sucked in without that title. It worked on me. And definitely peaked my curiosity. Stats wise, I take it as "it's in the same ball park as the big boys".

Callaway Epic Speed 9* 
Titleist TS2 15

Titleist TS2 21
Titlleist 913 H  27 deg.
New Level 902 PD  6 - PW

Vokey SM5 58, 50
Pro V1x Left Dash

So basically... the TS3 is the best driver all around?

The epic flash SZ is the longest, but ugly and lacks MOI.

And the F9 didn’t have the cache of Titleist or Cally, so it got a click bait title?

Kidding... they are all about the same in numbers.

For me the TS3 looks classy. Sounds great. And smashes the ball. Loves to go in the fairway to boot.

But hey, all the super cool kids at school will think ur super cool with your retina burning colors and attention grabbing names.

Flash! Speed! Twist!

What is this a Batman rerun from the 70s?

Titleist managed to make a driver that doesn’t make you embarrassed to bag in adulthood... and it’s numbers are even with the rest.

Purchase validated.

So Titleist is traditional with TS2 and TS3 but others aren't because they don't abbreviate? I understand wanting traditional colors and shapes but ragging on the speedback, epic flash, and other names is ridiculous. After all it is Titleist Speed 2 and Titleist Speed 3. Your purchase was validated for no other reason than it works for you.

I appreciate the comparisons, but they are completely irrelevant. The clubs compared differ greatly in set up (shaft, length, loft). Additionally his performance varies on a daily basis, too. All the ball speeds are within 2 miles per hour. That is not a significant change and could change easily, if retested. I am sure the Cobra is a great driver, but so are the others. The title is clickbait. Not much more.

Bullseye.

And in reference to some other posts, people are not being "negative". These days when you simply present the facts, it's viewed as "hating" if those facts don't align with some people's opinions. It's best to simply present the facts and let people do with them what they will. If you want to take multi variable hitting sessions by a single guy as gospel, nobody is stopping you.

Watch or don't watch. F the hate, if you don't like it don't watch. I love all the guys doing reviews. If you want perfect get off your f'n a** do it yourself post it and live with the hate. If you hate you are milktoast and weakminded. Yes you.

In case youve been under a rock, that's exactly what we do. We post testing results from multiple players with all variables removed. If you guys want to base your purchase decisions of random single guy videos with a host of variables, be my guest. It's like basing your world views off of watching Jimmy Kimmel but hey, to each his own. I really should know better than to try educate in a thread like this.

Are you serious? Tollbros has done some of the most involved testing on GolfWRX. Look up the PO, you’ll find his work.

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 4 Iron Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

Bullseye.

click his name-click find content-most info on wrx in there.

And the F9 didn’t have the cache of Titleist or Cally, so it got a click bait title?

For me the TS3 looks classy. Sounds great. And smashes the ball. Loves to go in the fairway to boot.

But hey, all the super cool kids at school will think ur super cool with your retina burning colors and attention grabbing names.

Flash! Speed! Twist!

Titleist managed to make a driver that doesn’t make you embarrassed to bag in adulthood... and it’s numbers are even with the rest.

Purchase validated.

So Titleist is traditional with TS2 and TS3 but others aren't because they don't abbreviate? I understand wanting traditional colors and shapes but ragging on the speedback, epic flash, and other names is ridiculous. After all it is Titleist Speed 2 and Titleist Speed 3. Your purchase was validated for no other reason than it works for you.

1) It’s sarcasm... and if you don’t appreciate the 70’s Batman joke you don’t have a sense of humor.

2) Using an acronym is choice by Titleist NOT to put a flashy (ha. See what I did there) term on the physical driver. If you asked the average consumer what SM7 or TS3 means, they wouldn’t have a clue.

If anything, cobra is the LEAST guilty out of the major manufacturers when it comes to this. I’m just making a point, so the fact they used retina searing yellow and labeled it speed just made the list. Really, it’s Callaway and TM that have made the driver market all about the catchy name.

Plus... just look at the understated aesthetics of the new Titleist line. It’s undeniable form and function.

Either way, just read what I said and you will see what I’ve been saying, all the modern drivers are roughly the same. But if you prefer a traditional look, that is free of click-bait terms... there is only one option on the market... and we all know what that is.

Ping G430 10k - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - DG x100ss

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Callaway PM Grind 64 - KBS C-Taper 130x

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

Flash! Speed! Twist!

Purchase validated.

1) It’s sarcasm... and if you don’t appreciate the 70’s Batman joke you don’t have a sense of humor.

2) Using an acronym is choice by Titleist NOT to put a flashy (ha. See what I did there) term on the physical driver. If you asked the average consumer what SM7 or TS3 means, they wouldn’t have a clue.

If anything, cobra is the LEAST guilty out of the major manufacturers when it comes to this. I’m just making a point, so the fact they used retina searing yellow and labeled it speed just made the list. Really, it’s Callaway and TM that have made the driver market all about the catchy name.

Plus... just look at the understated aesthetics of the new Titleist line. It’s undeniable form and function.

Either way, just read what I said and you will see what I’ve been saying, all the modern drivers are roughly the same. But if you prefer a traditional look, that is free of click-bait terms... there is only one option on the market... and we all know what that is.

Oh I get the batman joke and laughed when reading it. What you said about the average consumer is correct which is why these companies use the "click baity" words as you call them. Otherwise OEM's would have a hard time marketing their new clubs to the average consumer.

I respect your opinion but we will have to agree to disagree on what we think is embarrassing to bag in adulthood.

I have had several Cobra drivers over the past 5-8 years, and I have been impressed with all of them. They make a really solid driver and I have always liked the feel and sound of their drivers. For anyone who hasn't given them a try, you may want to consider it in the future. Unfortunately, as a lefty, this typically means I have to buy it, to try it.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

It’s a great driver. Feel and sound are definitely extremely high on the list. Very nice all around. My only issue was it was high spinning for me. Very high spinning. Still gotta switch around the weights and shafts at my store to revisit it but center strike and just barely toe side / 1/4” high ok the face shouldn’t be getting that amount of spin.

I would probably put a project x black on mine if I were to pursue one. But so far, very very nice.

Flash! Speed! Twist!

Purchase validated.

Oh I get the batman joke and laughed when reading it. What you said about the average consumer is correct which is why these companies use the "click baity" words as you call them. Otherwise OEM's would have a hard time marketing their new clubs to the average consumer.

I respect your opinion but we will have to agree to disagree on what we think is embarrassing to bag in adulthood.

I may have been speaking in extremes saying having them in the bag is an embarrassment. Just to get a knee-jerk reaction.

I bagged an RBZ tour and a burnt orange LTD pro in the past...

I just really appreciate the clean look of the Titleist. Very “pro” if you know what I mean

Ping G430 10k - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - DG x100ss

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Callaway PM Grind 64 - KBS C-Taper 130x

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

Finally got to see these heads myself, F9 looks nice at address. I love how Cobra drivers sit square no matter what loft setting is on.

The white paint on the bottom of one demo head had already chipped away, not ideal for like 1-3 days of use.

G430 Max 10K Hzrdus RDX Red 60 / Ping G430 Max 5fw KBS TD 70 / Titleist TSi2 4Hy  Tensei CK Pro Orange 80HY 

Ping iBlade 4-PW Modus3 120 / Cleveland RTX2.0 50° DG S200 / Ping Glide3.0 56° DG TI S400 / Ping Glide4.0 60° DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom 7.5 Stability Tour / Titleist ProV1x

Bullseye.

Then compare the F9 with the M5 and M6 please. It appears F9 has won every review in regards to ball speed .its the only measure I'm interested in currently. All the TM and Cally threads are like heroin addicts and can't accept they appear to have been surpassed in Driver design. Has your team any knowledge of this new product? I'm sure you'd have no bias .

Bingo. Let’s see the REAL review and know the truth.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Surprising amount of angst in this thread, and it's not even the middle of January!

I like the fact that additional scrutiny is being paid to aero, especially since most other things are maxed out.

I like the fact that Rick is commenting on the escalating price of drivers... It's not always at the forefront of those getting free stuff to test.

Rick doesn't swing a driver like I do (otherwise he'd probably be working as a bus driver) but I still find this review interesting.

Finally got to see these heads myself, F9 looks nice at address. I love how Cobra drivers sit square no matter what loft setting is on.

The white paint on the bottom of one demo head had already chipped away, not ideal for like 1-3 days of use.

Chips happen. Particularly in demo bays. Does not mean the F9 is poorly made simply means the one you,saw in the demo bay,you,were at was chipped. Nothing more nothing less

Bullseye.

this response strikes me as pretty hostile. Speaking only for myself, I don't live under a rock and I don't spend much time here, because I have two businesses to run plus all the other stuff. I have limited time. I clicked on your link, I do not see a bunch of club tests there. You might raise your profile if you provide more info where to find your reviews. Certainly a google search doesnt even show your enterprise. I have seen a couple of your threads on occasional visits and the data seems quite good, where are the tests to be found?

I take the info Toll lists into account just like all the other info I can find and then test what I can, when I can. I imagine most do the same thing. Being completely honest I take what Toll posts with as big a grain of salt as what other people post, or even shields posts. Toll works for an equipment testing company that also seemingly sells the stuff they get as a side business. He, they have set themselves up as the de-facto experts on equipment on these forums and this is not the 1st snippy comment I have seen from the Green Grass guys. I have done business with Toll previously and have no complaints but I also take into account he is selling products, his data and reviews are there for the purpose of generating interest in the stuff they sell. They have even said so much as when his boss posted a letter essentially telling the community to leave Toll alone unless you were a paying customer.

Is the data there and meaningful, yes, and obviously the Green Grass test subjects are consistent enough for one to mine discernible patterns to get a good idea on launch and spin numbers. But that is just one more piece of info we all have access to that we can use to make a decision. No one should be criticizing a customer, potential customer, or even stranger on a golf forum for being interested in finding more feedback or info. At the same time whatever info Toll and Green Grass post is valuable and appreciated and shouldn't be looked down on either. It is what it is and the guy reading or watching the info has to decide who he wants to trust.

This is actually a far better review 6 average golfers. No offence to Rick fans but he and the other pros they are boring too pretentious and do not represent the average Joes

[media=]

[/media]

My only complaint here is the variation in spin numbers. I find it hard to believe the scratch golfer had a shaft even similar to the one he games. ~1,200 more spin is laughable.

[b]WITB[/b]
Cobra F9 - Rogue White 130 6X 
Cobra F8 3-4 - Rogue White 130 8X
Cobra F9 19* - Tensei Pro White 90X
Srixon ZX7 4-PW - PX LZ 6.5

Titleist SM7 Black 50,54,58
TM Spider Tour Black