My Experience Gaming Blades as a Mid-High Handicapper

Andus

> @Krt22 said:

> Just picked up a set of blades. I read on here a few weeks ago that if you don't play blades you have not played golf in it's purest form

>

> Hitting the sweet spot is like buttermilk pancakes. Hitting one 2 grooves low stings like a sunnavagun though

The pancake thing is funny.

I was playing a few weeks ago with a total hacker buddy who never plays except when he randomly does. He played 9 holes with us but going up the last hole he admitted to me he was done and just wanted to leave. He said, _'y'know, golf is like pancakes...the night before you're all excited and you can't wait...it's gonna be awesome...but then you have the first one the next morning and it's kinda like...okay...ugh...that's enough.'_

So the pancake thing really depends, man.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM10 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Odyssey OG 2-Ball

> @BiggErn said:

> **Yes. If you do not hit virtually every iron dead solid with an MB there is no benefit in playing them. Are seriously trying to argue that you can get a “playable” shot on a mishit?** No kidding. I suppose the best players in the world who use MBs because they are world class ball strikers and wanting to use a club that is the ultimate in workability and precision are just looking for that “playable” shot because they mishit their irons 90% of the time. Yes that was a contradiction and made as much sense as anything you have posted. They aren’t looking for a playable shot on mishits because they don’t mishit. I’m willing to bet you do.....A LOT.

Very simply, yes. I've done it a ton. My worst mishits are short, but **straight.** They lose 20 yards and they fly low, but still get out there, so that my next shot tends to be very playable--still in the fairway, and most of the distance I wanted to cover. For me, that's an excellent miss. And luckily, it's a rare miss.

Better yet, most of my shots are a lot better than my worst mishits. A moderate mishit is an ok shot. It loses 10 yards. It goes pretty straight, with a slight draw or fade. If you aim for a green that's 20-30 yards in length, you should be on the green. I get 10 yards of variance with my AP1s, with worse directional control. So my mishits with my blades are very playable, and I prefer them.

My good shots? My good shots are the stuff that golf memories are made of.

I'm not saying this to be disparaging, but I really don't think you've hit a muscleback iron recently. A bad miss is the sort of miss that would be bad with any iron. A good miss looks like a normal golf shot. The vast majority of the shots I hit are playable. This makes sense, because the vast majority are within 10 yards of where I want them to be, length-wise, with a good direction.

What you're describing is an iron that hits like the Tour Striker--where there are actually no grooves below the sweet spot and the club is meant to give you a wonky shot if it's not within a tiny window. Blades are a lot more playable than that--which makes sense, because as many people point out, golf didn't start with the Eye 2. Muscleback irons just aren't as hard to hit as you're making them out to be. Depending on the iron, they're about as hard to hit as a player's cb, and the nuance that we're discussing comes from whether specific iron models can help bridge the gap on slight mishits---not that MBs will scuttle all but the most ideal strike.

> @MelloYello said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > Just picked up a set of blades. I read on here a few weeks ago that if you don't play blades you have not played golf in it's purest form

> >

> > Hitting the sweet spot is like buttermilk pancakes. Hitting one 2 grooves low stings like a sunnavagun though

>

> The pancake thing is funny.

>

> I was playing a few weeks ago with a total hacker buddy who never plays except when he randomly does. He played 9 holes with us but going up the last hole he admitted to me he was done and just wanted to leave. He said, _'y'know, golf is like pancakes...the night before you're all excited and you can't wait...it's gonna be awesome...but then you have the first one the next morning and it's kinda like...okay...ugh...that's enough.'_

>

> So the pancake thing really depends, man.

Think less about the full stack but instead the first bite...soft..moist..sweet..buttery. Each pure strike is just like that first bite.

> @KaiserSoze said:

> All you guys/gals talking about blades being very playable with no real loss of distance or direction on mishits are ignoring fundamental physics and math. There is a reason perimeter weighted clubs work.

Hey! This a golf board. Leave that math and physics stuff out of here!?

> @KaiserSoze said:

> All you guys/gals talking about blades being very playable with no real loss of distance or direction on mishits are ignoring fundamental physics and math. There is a reason perimeter weighted clubs work.

I thought forgiveness on a iron heads were for distance only and not direction..

like if you miss the sweet spot you will still get the distance but has nothing to do with "direction" forgiveness.

I could be wrong but that's what my fitter said. Maybe technology advanced from 2016.

> @KaiserSoze said:

I think more people are actually saying that their misses are more predictable with one club over the other. I don’t think anyone is saying there is no distance loss on blade mishits.

Driver PXG Black OPS 9 deg with Tensei white 65

4 wood PXG Black OPS 17 deg with Tensei white 75

Titleist T200 utility #3 iron with IZ 95X 

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 s300

Wedges Ping S159 54s and 60s with DG s300 

Odyssey Ai-one Jailbird Cruiser 

Pro V1 

> @Timbo929 said:

> are TMB's considered blades or shovels?

> not look's, but category.

> They feel like you're back handing a rock on mishits but still go the distance.

I would place the 790’s in the same group with the T-MB’s of more GI than blade. They are definitely hotter all around and when I tested them against the 760’s the ball speed was higher on average by 4-5 mph. However mishits didn’t still go the distance with the 790’s for me as you describe with the T-MB’s from your experience. I saw the same drop in ballspeed between the two clubs. I ultimately went with the 760’s as the spin was better through the set.

Pro V1 

> @Krt22 said:

> The TMB and are not remotely blades. They are completely hollow..essentially a full CB/GI club that's filled in to look more like a players club. P790s were just silly for me. 190+yard 7is that only spun 5k.

Agree, I saw big ball speeds with the 790’s and low spin.

Pro V1 

How is it possible that after thousands of posts on Golf WRX regarding blades vs GI irons not one single issue has been resolved?

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

> @Itsjustagame said:

> How is it possible that after thousands of posts on Golf WRX regarding blades vs GI irons not one single issue has been resolved?

There will never be resolve because no one will ever admit they are wrong after all of this. Once this thread dies or gets locked someone will start it all over again. I am surprised however that this thread has lasted as long as it has.

Pro V1 

> @Timbo929 said:

> > @KaiserSoze said:

> > All you guys/gals talking about blades being very playable with no real loss of distance or direction on mishits are ignoring fundamental physics and math. There is a reason perimeter weighted clubs work.

>

> I thought forgiveness on a iron heads were for distance only and not direction..

>

> like if you miss the sweet spot you will still get the distance but has nothing to do with "direction" forgiveness.

>

> I could be wrong but that's what my fitter said. Maybe technology advanced from 2016.

I don’t generally miss with a square clubface. Usually I’ve left it open. Sometimes, I can catch it closed.

If I’m also not in the center of the club face with a blade, there’s less mass, so the ball doesn’t go so far offline. It loses steam.

Perimeter weighting should do just that—put more weight in the perimeter. So if I make a strike with an open face, and I’m off center, then not only does the ball go right, but it should go further with more height. Now, I’m more offline.

> @"deadsolid...shank" said:

> > @KaiserSoze said:

> > All you guys/gals talking about blades being very playable with no real loss of distance or direction on mishits are ignoring fundamental physics and math. There is a reason perimeter weighted clubs work.

>

> Hey! This a golf board. Leave that math and physics stuff out of here!?

>

Besides, you have NO proof. Just ask dcicoretti !!! LOL

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

> @nsxguy said:

> > @"deadsolid...shank" said:

> > > @KaiserSoze said:

> > > All you guys/gals talking about blades being very playable with no real loss of distance or direction on mishits are ignoring fundamental physics and math. There is a reason perimeter weighted clubs work.

> >

> > Hey! This a golf board. Leave that math and physics stuff out of here!?

> >

>

> Besides, you have NO proof. Just ask dcicoretti !!! LOL

The astro”faux”physicist

Things that make you go....”What?”........

“Great ballstrikers” who are high handicaps.

Guys who hit four greens in regulation who claim “my short game is killing me”.

High handicappers who need to “work the ball more”.

“Great putters” who say they got screwed by the anchoring rule.

Guys who see playing blades as a benefit because they “give me a bigger miss to keep me away from trouble”.

Guys who play blades for enjoyment, and claim that they don’t care about shooting lower scores because that’s not what golf is truly about. (If golf isn’t about scoring, then why do you keep it? Participation ribbons all around! And if you don’t keep score, how do you know you are a low/mid/high handicapper?)

Humorous, yet confusing.

• Like 2

WITB

Ping G430 Max 10K 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 7 wood 21 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping Blueprint S  4 - PW Dynamic Gold 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM10 50-08F, 54-10S, 60-12D

Odyssey Ai-One 2-Ball

Titleist Pro V1

Low single digit handicap.

Here is my biggest takeaway from playing blades the last year.

The ball control is what I always wanted.

I don’t think I will ever go back to cavity’s. For years I’ve played forgiving irons, made to go high and straight. I shot my first round in the 60’s with TM Burner irons. It was always difficult to flight balls or hit a baby draw or cut. I would try to hit a 5 iron under a tree branch and it would jump off the face straight up in the air or I would need to hit a slight draw and I had to make a hook swing to get it to move.

I say all this because cavity backs work for getting the ball to go straighter and higher, but at some point you start battling needing it to go high and straight. Crazy talk.

• Like 1

> @joj said:

> Low single digit handicap.

> Here is my biggest takeaway from playing blades the last year.

>

> The ball control is what I always wanted.

>

> I don’t think I will ever go back to cavity’s. For years I’ve played forgiving irons, made to go high and straight. I shot my first round in the 60’s with TM Burner irons. It was **always difficult to flight balls or hit a baby draw or cut**. I would try to hit a 5 iron under a tree branch and it would jump off the face straight up in the air or I would need to hit a slight draw and I had to make a hook swing to get it to move.

>

> I say all this because cavity backs work for getting the ball to go straighter and higher, but at some point you start battling needing it to go high and straight. Crazy talk.

Totally agree about the cut. The draw ? Not so much. I even agree with the G-d of Blades when he said "CBs are more forgiving, blades are more workable". He's absolutely correct.

And yes, it is certainly easier to work the ball both ways with blades. I've found that with my CBs it is nigh impossible to move it to the fade side. The draw side ? No problem at all. Cbs are made not only to be more forgiving but also to mitigate a slice. Generally speaking, the more forgiveness the higher the handicapper the club is targeted at and the higher the handicapper the more they need help with a slice.

As for hitting out from under a tree goes I liken that to my car buying habits. In the past, when I bought my NSX I had friends asking me "What do you want with a 2 seater ? You can't take more than one person with you".

And I'm like "Are you kidding me ? I'm single. 80% of the time I drive by myself in the car and the other 20% of the time my GF is the passenger. What ? I should buy an SUV just in case one day I might need to carry 8 passengers ?" LOL

Same thing with my irons. I should get blades because I might find myself under a tree ? Nope. I want my irons to go straight with consistent distance and direction and if I put it under a tree I'll live with not having a blade I might be able to punch out a little bit better with. Chances are I'd make the same score with either club from under that tree.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

I guess it’s odd that none of the better players I know or have played with use an MB. From low single digit to scratch or better they use ping G series, jpx hot metal, and some old Callaway x18s off the top of my head. A kid we played with awhile back had some of the old Titleist CBs (very GI, maybe DCI) that I can’t even recall the exact model was puring everything and hitting all kinds of shots. He only played 9 holes with us and shot -2.

> @BiggErn said:

> I guess it’s odd that none of the better players I know or have played with use an MB. From low single digit to scratch or better they use ping G series, jpx hot metal, and some old Callaway x18s off the top of my head. A kid we played with awhile back had some of the old Titleist CBs (very GI, maybe DCI) that I can’t even recall the exact model was puring everything and hitting all kinds of shots. He only played 9 holes with us and shot -2.

it sure is odd man considering that there are an estimated 60 million golfers in the world (2018 number) and single digit or low handicap golfers make up about 35% or basically a third of all golfers (according to the USGA that is). If their estimate carries equal worldwide that means somewhere around 21,000,000 golfers play to the approximate ability of those golfers you know. I am sure that your circle of golfing buddies represents what the other almost 21 million golfers do right? Yeah man thats odd alright.

Pro V1 

> @cliffhanger said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > I guess it’s odd that none of the better players I know or have played with use an MB. From low single digit to scratch or better they use ping G series, jpx hot metal, and some old Callaway x18s off the top of my head. A kid we played with awhile back had some of the old Titleist CBs (very GI, maybe DCI) that I can’t even recall the exact model was puring everything and hitting all kinds of shots. He only played 9 holes with us and shot -2.

>

> it sure is odd man considering that there are an estimated 60 million golfers in the world (2018 number) and single digit or low handicap golfers make up about 35% or basically a third of all golfers (according to the USGA that is). If their estimate carries equal worldwide that means somewhere around 21,000,000 golfers play to the approximate ability of those golfers you know. I am sure that your circle of golfing buddies represents what the other almost 21 million golfers do right? Yeah man thats odd alright.

I guess I associate with a handful of them. They definitely wouldn’t need a fluffer thread on an Internet forum to try and validate the equipment they use....of course they wouldn’t need to.

> @nsxguy said:

> > @joj said:

> > Low single digit handicap.

> > Here is my biggest takeaway from playing blades the last year.

> >

> > The ball control is what I always wanted.

> >

> > I don’t think I will ever go back to cavity’s. For years I’ve played forgiving irons, made to go high and straight. I shot my first round in the 60’s with TM Burner irons. It was **always difficult to flight balls or hit a baby draw or cut**. I would try to hit a 5 iron under a tree branch and it would jump off the face straight up in the air or I would need to hit a slight draw and I had to make a hook swing to get it to move.

> >

> > I say all this because cavity backs work for getting the ball to go straighter and higher, but at some point you start battling needing it to go high and straight. Crazy talk.

>

> Totally agree about the cut. The draw ? Not so much. I even agree with the G-d of Blades when he said "CBs are more forgiving, blades are more workable". He's absolutely correct.

>

> And yes, it is certainly easier to work the ball both ways with blades. I've found that with my CBs it is nigh impossible to move it to the fade side. The draw side ? No problem at all. Cbs are made not only to be more forgiving but also to mitigate a slice. Generally speaking, the more forgiveness the higher the handicapper the club is targeted at and the higher the handicapper the more they need help with a slice.

>

> As for hitting out from under a tree goes I liken that to my car buying habits. In the past, when I bought my NSX I had friends asking me "What do you want with a 2 seater ? You can't take more than one person with you".

>

> And I'm like "Are you kidding me ? I'm single. 80% of the time I drive by myself in the car and the other 20% of the time my GF is the passenger. What ? I should buy an SUV just in case one day I might need to carry 8 passengers ?" LOL

>

> Same thing with my irons. I should get blades because I might find myself under a tree ? Nope. I want my irons to go straight with consistent distance and direction and if I put it under a tree I'll live with not having a blade I might be able to punch out a little bit better with. Chances are I'd make the same score with either club from under that tree.

you do realize that your car buying analogy is backwards from the point you were trying to make right? In your story you buying the NSX is the absolute same as the mid handicap trying to justify buying blades and your buddies represent the CB advocates lol. You try to justify the purchase because you drive by yourself 80% of the time and 20% with your GF. Even though the NSX is still to this day considered a very stiff and rigid ride (thats unforgiving for the non car guys). It does seem funny that you use a 8 seater SUV as the extreme to make your point. There are a lot of reasonable choices between that and the uncomfortable and non practical NSX. I went through the same thing with my first Vette purchase... i was questioned by many who couldn't wrap their head around it.

Pro V1 

> @BiggErn said:

> > @cliffhanger said:

> > > @BiggErn said:

> > > I guess it’s odd that none of the better players I know or have played with use an MB. From low single digit to scratch or better they use ping G series, jpx hot metal, and some old Callaway x18s off the top of my head. A kid we played with awhile back had some of the old Titleist CBs (very GI, maybe DCI) that I can’t even recall the exact model was puring everything and hitting all kinds of shots. He only played 9 holes with us and shot -2.

> >

> > it sure is odd man considering that there are an estimated 60 million golfers in the world (2018 number) and single digit or low handicap golfers make up about 35% or basically a third of all golfers (according to the USGA that is). If their estimate carries equal worldwide that means somewhere around 21,000,000 golfers play to the approximate ability of those golfers you know. I am sure that your circle of golfing buddies represents what the other almost 21 million golfers do right? Yeah man thats odd alright.

>

> I guess I associate with a handful of them. They definitely wouldn’t need a fluffer thread on an Internet forum to try and validate the equipment they use....of course they wouldn’t need to.

they also don't need you on the internet telling them what to play right? Sorry, i mean telling them to play what they want as long as they don't use this, this, this or this as an excuse right?

Pro V1 

> @cliffhanger said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @cliffhanger said:

> > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > I guess it’s odd that none of the better players I know or have played with use an MB. From low single digit to scratch or better they use ping G series, jpx hot metal, and some old Callaway x18s off the top of my head. A kid we played with awhile back had some of the old Titleist CBs (very GI, maybe DCI) that I can’t even recall the exact model was puring everything and hitting all kinds of shots. He only played 9 holes with us and shot -2.

> > >

> > > it sure is odd man considering that there are an estimated 60 million golfers in the world (2018 number) and single digit or low handicap golfers make up about 35% or basically a third of all golfers (according to the USGA that is). If their estimate carries equal worldwide that means somewhere around 21,000,000 golfers play to the approximate ability of those golfers you know. I am sure that your circle of golfing buddies represents what the other almost 21 million golfers do right? Yeah man thats odd alright.

> >

> > I guess I associate with a handful of them. They definitely wouldn’t need a fluffer thread on an Internet forum to try and validate the equipment they use....of course they wouldn’t need to.

>

> they also don't need you on the internet telling them what to play right? Sorry, i mean telling them to play what they want as long as they don't use this, this, this or this as an excuse right?

Nobody has done that just stated that certain equipment essentially requires perfection every time to be of any benefit. Of course anybody can buy that equipment and use it whether they can use it effectively or not.

> @BiggErn said:

> > @cliffhanger said:

> > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > @cliffhanger said:

> > > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > I guess it’s odd that none of the better players I know or have played with use an MB. From low single digit to scratch or better they use ping G series, jpx hot metal, and some old Callaway x18s off the top of my head. A kid we played with awhile back had some of the old Titleist CBs (very GI, maybe DCI) that I can’t even recall the exact model was puring everything and hitting all kinds of shots. He only played 9 holes with us and shot -2.

> > > >

> > > > it sure is odd man considering that there are an estimated 60 million golfers in the world (2018 number) and single digit or low handicap golfers make up about 35% or basically a third of all golfers (according to the USGA that is). If their estimate carries equal worldwide that means somewhere around 21,000,000 golfers play to the approximate ability of those golfers you know. I am sure that your circle of golfing buddies represents what the other almost 21 million golfers do right? Yeah man thats odd alright.

> > >

> > > I guess I associate with a handful of them. They definitely wouldn’t need a fluffer thread on an Internet forum to try and validate the equipment they use....of course they wouldn’t need to.

> >

> > they also don't need you on the internet telling them what to play right? Sorry, i mean telling them to play what they want as long as they don't use this, this, this or this as an excuse right?

>

> Nobody has done that just stated that certain equipment essentially requires perfection every time to be of any benefit. Of course anybody can buy that equipment and use it whether they can use it effectively or not.

I believe it has been stated several times.

Pro V1 

> @BiggErn said:

> > @cliffhanger said:

> > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > @cliffhanger said:

> > > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > I guess it’s odd that none of the better players I know or have played with use an MB. From low single digit to scratch or better they use ping G series, jpx hot metal, and some old Callaway x18s off the top of my head. A kid we played with awhile back had some of the old Titleist CBs (very GI, maybe DCI) that I can’t even recall the exact model was puring everything and hitting all kinds of shots. He only played 9 holes with us and shot -2.

> > > >

> > > > it sure is odd man considering that there are an estimated 60 million golfers in the world (2018 number) and single digit or low handicap golfers make up about 35% or basically a third of all golfers (according to the USGA that is). If their estimate carries equal worldwide that means somewhere around 21,000,000 golfers play to the approximate ability of those golfers you know. I am sure that your circle of golfing buddies represents what the other almost 21 million golfers do right? Yeah man thats odd alright.

> > >

> > > I guess I associate with a handful of them. They definitely wouldn’t need a fluffer thread on an Internet forum to try and validate the equipment they use....of course they wouldn’t need to.

> >

> > they also don't need you on the internet telling them what to play right? Sorry, i mean telling them to play what they want as long as they don't use this, this, this or this as an excuse right?

>

> Nobody has done that just stated that certain equipment essentially requires perfection every time to be of any benefit. Of course anybody can buy that equipment and use it whether they can use it effectively or not.

Ok folks—in the name of science and as an excuse to get some practice in, I took my AP1 7 iron and 6 iron down to the sim, along with my MP-4 6 iron.

I hit 10 shots with each iron, starting with the AP1 7 iron, followed by the AP 1 6 iron, and then the MP-4. I then hit a second set of 10 with the AP1 and MP-4 6 irons, in that order. I didn’t want the AP1s to suffer for having gone second, so I gave both sets of 6 irons a second go.

Pictures below.

Set 1 (AP1 7i)

cdamejep50bu.jpeg

Set 2 (AP1 6i)

dg8of69k9nwn.jpeg

Set 3 (MP-4 6i)

hcptp1nxttxe.jpeg

(shot #10 was thinned, but dead straight, decent carry, and appropriate distance with roll. this is the point I’ve been making about why I like my misses with the MP-4).

Set 4 (AP 1 6i)

tmvpj5tyuz96.jpeg

(A good number of my shots clustered right. This was despite taking breaks, pausing to check setup, and the sim showing an in-to-our swing path. My guess is that I lost some helpful draw spin due to the AP1 design)

Set 5 (MP-4)

upqm6pu57q6c.jpeg

Overall, I think the results show the following: 1) I have pretty consistent distances with all of the irons;

2) I can get a 20+ yard drop off regardless of the iron, so it’s just something I need to factor into my shots;

3) You really don’t need perfect striking to get good results out of blades;

4) You can shape any iron (though I do have to work harder with the AP1s and they aren’t as predictable)

Ultimately, I don’t have a ton of bad shots. The real question is which iron gives me better average results. I think the MP-4 has the best results for dispersion, spin, and carry, followed by the 7 iron (which basically has 6 iron spin and flight), while the AP1 6 iron wasn’t consistent for me. Subjectively, the MP-4 definitely fits my eye the best and feels better than the AP1.

So, I will happily continue to practice with the blade that’s giving me better results, even though the common wisdom is that the blades should not give playable shots on anything but a perfect strike (which, as anyone who’s ever hit an mb knows, is simply not true), that there’s no real benefit for a high handicapper to practice with blades (not my experience), and I am losing out by not playing a more forgiving iron (possibly true, but it seems like the MP-4s fit me well enough, and my AP1s aren’t the right irons to dethrone them. I’ll be happy to give the 716 CBS a shot at the title someday, though :) ).

I think this whole you need to hit it perfect everytime to get any benefit is total bs. And the guy who sounds like a broken record saying it needs to just go away. You don't like blades. You and everyone you know are afraid of them. It's cool, as said many times, they aren't for everyone. But just for good measure, could you please say they need a perfect strike one more time before you go ?

> @revanant said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @cliffhanger said:

> > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > @cliffhanger said:

> > > > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > > I guess it’s odd that none of the better players I know or have played with use an MB. From low single digit to scratch or better they use ping G series, jpx hot metal, and some old Callaway x18s off the top of my head. A kid we played with awhile back had some of the old Titleist CBs (very GI, maybe DCI) that I can’t even recall the exact model was puring everything and hitting all kinds of shots. He only played 9 holes with us and shot -2.

> > > > >

> > > > > it sure is odd man considering that there are an estimated 60 million golfers in the world (2018 number) and single digit or low handicap golfers make up about 35% or basically a third of all golfers (according to the USGA that is). If their estimate carries equal worldwide that means somewhere around 21,000,000 golfers play to the approximate ability of those golfers you know. I am sure that your circle of golfing buddies represents what the other almost 21 million golfers do right? Yeah man thats odd alright.

> > > >

> > > > I guess I associate with a handful of them. They definitely wouldn’t need a fluffer thread on an Internet forum to try and validate the equipment they use....of course they wouldn’t need to.

> > >

> > > they also don't need you on the internet telling them what to play right? Sorry, i mean telling them to play what they want as long as they don't use this, this, this or this as an excuse right?

> >

> > Nobody has done that just stated that certain equipment essentially requires perfection every time to be of any benefit. Of course anybody can buy that equipment and use it whether they can use it effectively or not.

>

> Ok folks—in the name of science and as an excuse to get some practice in, I took my AP1 7 iron and 6 iron down to the sim, along with my MP-4 6 iron.

>

> I hit 10 shots with each iron, starting with the AP1 7 iron, followed by the AP 1 6 iron, and then the MP-4. I then hit a second set of 10 with the AP1 and MP-4 6 irons, in that order. I didn’t want the AP1s to suffer for having gone second, so I gave both sets of 6 irons a second go.

>

> Pictures below.

>

> Set 1 (AP1 7i)

> cdamejep50bu.jpeg

>

> Set 2 (AP1 6i)

> dg8of69k9nwn.jpeg

>

> Set 3 (MP-4 6i)

> hcptp1nxttxe.jpeg

> (shot #10 was thinned, but dead straight, decent carry, and appropriate distance with roll. this is the point I’ve been making about why I like my misses with the MP-4).

>

> Set 4 (AP 1 6i)

> tmvpj5tyuz96.jpeg

> (A good number of my shots clustered right. This was despite taking breaks, pausing to check setup, and the sim showing an in-to-our swing path. My guess is that I lost some helpful draw spin due to the AP1 design)

>

> Set 5 (MP-4)

> upqm6pu57q6c.jpeg

>

>

> Overall, I think the results show the following: 1) I have pretty consistent distances with all of the irons;

> 2) I can get a 20+ yard drop off regardless of the iron, so it’s just something I need to factor into my shots;

> 3) You really don’t need perfect striking to get good results out of blades;

> 4) You can shape any iron (though I do have to work harder with the AP1s and they aren’t as predictable)

> Ultimately, I don’t have a ton of bad shots. The real question is which iron gives me better average results. I think the MP-4 has the best results for dispersion, spin, and carry, followed by the 7 iron (which basically has 6 iron spin and flight), while the AP1 6 iron wasn’t consistent for me. Subjectively, the MP-4 definitely fits my eye the best and feels better than the AP1.

>

> So, I will happily continue to practice with the blade that’s giving me better results, even though the common wisdom is that the blades should not give playable shots on anything but a perfect strike (which, as anyone who’s ever hit an mb knows, is simply not true), that there’s no real benefit for a high handicapper to practice with blades (not my experience), and I am losing out by not playing a more forgiving iron (possibly true, but it seems like the MP-4s fit me well enough, and my AP1s aren’t the right irons to dethrone them. I’ll be happy to give the 716 CBS a shot at the title someday, though :) ).

If they fit your eye better, then it would seem you get the benefit each and everytime. I wonder if biggern has a square strike wedge and some tour edge hot launch cavity back sgi wedges in the bag. Because unless you hit a traditional wedge perfect everytime, you will get no benefit from it.