Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

27 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

At the end of the day, they run one of most successful golf resorts in the world, with loyal base of return customers, despite being far from any major city. I am not sure they have mach need to address anything.

Correct, for the most part.  But if the experience suffers, eventually they will need to make changes.  It's in their best interest to clearly define the market they are going after.  And the we're talking two very different markets.

Personally, I hope Bandon doesn't become Myrtle Beach West.

• Like 2

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

1 minute ago, spud3 said:

Correct, for the most part.  But if the experience suffers, eventually they will need to make changes.  It's in their best interest to clearly define the market they are going after.  And the we're talking two very different markets.

Personally, I hope Bandon doesn't become Myrtle Beach West.

I have played most of my rounds Nov-March, but also a few in July August, the time of year really shifts the feel and the vibe on the property. I think the horse is out of the barn in the summer, but I can't see it ever being more than a hardcore golfer destination in the winter (unless global warming really kicks in). Thing is there are lots of hardcore golfer playing in the 'off season' now.

Yeah, I just made the comment in the Lodging thread that we've watched February and now March get 'discovered' and it's even difficult to get a room in December on the fly like we used to.  This year the whole place was booked the first week of December, due to: (trumpet blare) large groups booking up things.  We used to be able to almost walk right into a room in December and January.

Perhaps my econ is backwards and with the increase in prices for summer and the apparent lack of discounts for groups, it's pushing those groups farther and farther into the shoulder- and off-seasons.

All I know is it's a real pain to get a single room for three nights.  Sitting on hold for four hours on New Years Day is not a good experience, especially when it ends up with not getting the lodging I would like.  I hope the addition of the Round Lake lodging will help that.

52 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

At the end of the day, they run one of most successful golf resorts in the world, with loyal base of return customers, despite being far from any major city. I am not sure they have mach need to address anything.

Exactly. They are sold out of rooms and tee times almost a year in advance, doesn't seem to me that they need to change anything at all. Haven't heard one single person come back from there and say that they wouldn't go back because there were too many people there having too much fun - this thread is literally the first time I have even seen anything near that implied.

I said when I came back after 4 days of 36, I dont know how people crush beers all day and then do 36 more than one day in a row. But to each his own, its not my thing but if its yours then great, thats what BD seems to be all about. 

• Like 1

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

2 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

Exactly. They are sold out of rooms and tee times almost a year in advance, doesn't seem to me that they need to change anything at all. Haven't heard one single person come back from there and say that they wouldn't go back because there were too many people there having too much fun - this thread is literally the first time I have even seen anything near that implied.

I said when I came back after 4 days of 36, I dont know how people crush beers all day and then do 36 more than one day in a row. But to each his own, its not my thing but if its yours then great, thats what BD seems to be all about. 

Yes even they we go as a few foursomes, there is no heavy drinking/partying etc. we are all tuckered out and want to be well rested for the next day. 

6 minutes ago, Edaw68 said:

When I was on the phone with reservations yesterday the agent attributed the raise in booking activity to the US Am, saying it was a huge increase pretty much non stop since then.  I wonder if that surge will drop when the destination check boxers get their fill.

The current travel situation could be causing a rush for future dates right now too. I know our group is super desperate to do a golf trip again but did not book anything for 2021 given the uncertainty of travel for the next while.

Edited by 2bGood

1 minute ago, 2bGood said:

The current travel situation could be causing a rush for future dates right now too. I know our group is super desperate to a do a golf trip again but did not book anything for 2021 given the uncertainty of travel for the next while.

Yeah I think that's a big part of it too.  I've held off on really planning things I can't drive to.

1 hour ago, mallrat said:

I feel like that is something that Bandon should address. IMO, it should be cheaper for a group and encouraged to book the larger rooms. 

Like I said, the vast majority of the people on these trips already opt for shared rooms. A $450 savings for four nights vs. single occupancy. I haven’t had a roommate since college (50 years ago). And have no intention of starting now. When traveling with friends on ski trips, we’ve shared condos/houses. One of my friends uses a CPAP. We’d have to rent a mansion and put him on the far end of it, not to hear him at night. Room with a stranger? No thanks.😄

24 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

Actually they are very rarely sold out of rooms. Now they sell out of certain rooms and often more than 1 night is now available which gives the perception they are sold out. 

Also as other posters talk about, currently there are 2 distinct groups that go to Bandon. There are the golfers and there are the drinkers who golf. The golfers are generally the 36 hole a day guys and much of the off season crowd. Now the drinkers are more prominent during the warmer weather and most of us don’t see them a ton because they take the tee times we don’t want. By that I mean they take the 10 am tee times that give you no opportunity for 36 holes. 

Now the pricing there is a big contributor because it is still relatively inexpensive for a golf trip. With Bandon raising their prices every year I imagine we will find the point pretty soon where cost is more important. I go once to twice a year but I can’t afford to go in the summer months without my industry discount. It still is the most affordable golf costs wise of the US golf trips especially if you remove airfare. Will it stay that way when it’s not?

9 minutes ago, tad950 said:

Like I said, the vast majority of the people on these trips already opt for shared rooms. A $450 savings for four nights vs. single occupancy. I haven’t had a roommate since college (50 years ago). And have no intention of starting now. When traveling with friends on ski trips, we’ve shared condos/houses. One of my friends uses a CPAP. We’d have to rent a mansion and put him on the far end of it, not to hear him at night. Room with a stranger? No thanks.😄

Do you realize that most of the rooms I’m talking about are not shared, they just have a shared common area?

22 minutes ago, mallrat said:

Do you realize that most of the rooms I’m talking about are not shared, they just have a shared common area?

I get wanting your own sleeping area if you're on an organization trip with a bunch of people you may or may not know, but the common area lodging options would be fine for me if I was in that situation.  

Here's a quick summary of lodging for sleeping in the same room versus your own room and bed and common area: (doesn't account for doubling up if you want to save more money)

Your own room:

Lodge singles

Inn singles

Lodge suites

Chrome Lake loft

Grove cottages

2 beds in a room:

Lily Pond

Inn doubles

Chrome lake doubles

31 minutes ago, mallrat said:

Do you realize that not everyone has to agree with you or want the room type that you want us to want? We get it.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

You have x number of posts arguing for having your own room. I was just pointing out that there are other ways to get your own room. If you understood what I was trying to say you could have expressed that in one of your previous posts instead of continuing to argue against what I was saying. 

I get others can differ from my point of view and have no problem with that. Never said I had a problem with that just trying to show you there are other options. Quite a few of us go down as singles in the off season and just trying to enlighten you that you are impacting others. Not saying this is you because I don’t know you at all but this has become a huge problem in our society, people do not care how their actions impact others anymore or sometimes they just don’t know it does. 

I haven’t responded rude or snarky, at least in my opinion, at least in my opinion. There are a few of us that have a lot of experience in going to Bandon and just trying to help others that might not have as much experience. 

Edited by mallrat

Just cuz I'm a data nerd, here's the breakdown per person, for the beds that edaw listed (added the soon-to-be-completed Round Lake lodging with some price guesses).

Personally, I'd like to see the resort offer double rooms at single price for last minute players.  More than once, I've wanted to zip down for a night or two and they are sold out of singles but have several Lily Pond or Chrome doubles.  Only option is to pay full price for one of those or stay in town for about half that.  No brainer.  Or perhaps offer the shared common space lodging for singles willing to pair up

March July
Lodge singles 180-220 270-320
Inn singles 190-220 290-330
Round Lake single 265 350?

Lodge suites 275-375 ea. 375-490 ea.
Chrome Lake loft 225 ea. 360 ea.
Grove cottages 375 ea. 490 ea.

Lily Pond 140 ea. 225 ea.
Inn doubles 130-145 ea. 205-225 ea.
Chrome lake doubles 145 ea. 225 ea.
Round Lake doubles 175 ea.? 275 ea.?

Quite a few of us go down as singles in the off season and just trying to enlighten you that you are impacting others. 

C'mon man, are you bleeping me? Awh man, I'm sorry that my room choice on my potentially once in a lifetime bucket list trip is affecting people who get to go ever year. Thank you for enlightening me. The idea that me getting a single room vs being in a room that has a shared common area is selfish or that I am part of some sort of problem with society because I don't understand how my actions impact others? Get out of here with that nonsense.

If I spend $1,000 a night - between golf caddies and room - and *15 hours* of travel each way getting to BD, I'm not going to get whatever room society tells me that I should get that best pleases everyone else. I'm going to get the single room I want with the view I want. Thats not selfishness, thats...I dont know, thats capitalism / basic golf trip planning.

And yes you are being rude and snarky when you repeatedly tell people that single rooms with shared areas are still single rooms. We get it, we understand the difference, they are not the same.

Anyway, I'm out. Appreciate your insights but its clear we are not going to agree on this particular "issue"...that I wasn't even aware until tonight was an "issue".

Edited by dcmidnight
  • Haha 2

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

We have a difference of opinions and that’s ok. I understand where you are coming from and was just trying to tell you there is another side. If you don’t want to hear that, well sorry. You are allowed to book whatever room you want and my opinion doesn’t matter on the subject. But, IMO, you learn from have reasonable discourse about differences. 

I look at it like the 3 some that says the single can’t join them. It is completely their right but not something I agree with. 

Enjoy your next trip; and not meaning that to be rude. I think it’s the best golf resort in the US and we all just want to enjoy it for years to come without it becoming Pinehurst or Pebble price wise. It is still an affordable trip especially in the off-season. I just did 3 days for $570 without food and I would like to see it stay in that range. 

And while you think i might not be open minded, your last post made me think of it a different way. Because of the accessibility to me living in Oregon I forget it is the trip of a lifetime for many. 

(hug it out)

I have not done a price comparison but Pinehurst is an interesting comparison for me (4 hr drive to PH).

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Yes, I understand that there are rooms with shared common areas. Like I said before, the vast majority of people on the NCGA trip are housed at Chrome Lake.I don’t understand why you feel that four or five people out of 70+ golfers that wish to have a single room is the reason that you can’t get one. I think the problem is that Bandon has not kept up with demand. 

11 minutes ago, tad950 said:

Yes, I understand that there are rooms with shared common areas. Like I said before, the vast majority of people on the NCGA trip are housed at Chrome Lake.I don’t understand why you feel that four or five people out of 70+ golfers that wish to have a single room is the reason that you can’t get one. I think the problem is that Bandon has not kept up with demand. 

Sorry, I don’t want to keep dragging this out. My issue isn’t with 4 or 5 out of 70. My issue is with 4 or 5 out of every group of 12 - 20. 

But I am also in the minority that doesn’t really want the resort to build new rooms. As it is, tee times are hard to get. With Sheep Ranch opening it would be nice if it basically opened up 5 tee times a day on each course. Basically just allow for a little break on each course and let the people who want to play 36 in the off season have more of a chance to do so. I don’t think every course needs every tee time booked every day. 

That said I would also like to see the resort work out a green fee rate for people staying offsite when nothing is available on site. BUT I get the reasons why not. Also as Spud said, if a room is going to go unused for 2,3, 4 nights open it up to a single. Don’t make a single pay full Chrome rate at the last minute if the room is open. Figure out a break even point.

3 hours ago, Edaw68 said:

I get wanting your own sleeping area if you're on an organization trip with a bunch of people you may or may not know, but the common area lodging options would be fine for me if I was in that situation.  

For some people it does not work for them. We have one CPAP user that is on some of golf trips - those things are loud, prostate issue - up and down all night, 

Sorry, I don’t want to keep dragging this out. My issue isn’t with 4 or 5 out of 70. My issue is with 4 or 5 out of every group of 12 - 20. 

But I am also in the minority that doesn’t really want the resort to build new rooms. As it is, tee times are hard to get. With Sheep Ranch opening it would be nice if it basically opened up 5 tee times a day on each course. Basically just allow for a little break on each course and let the people who want to play 36 in the off season have more of a chance to do so. I don’t think every course needs every tee time booked every day. 

That said I would also like to see the resort work out a green fee rate for people staying offsite when nothing is available on site. BUT I get the reasons why not. Also as Spud said, if a room is going to go unused for 2,3, 4 nights open it up to a single. Don’t make a single pay full Chrome rate at the last minute if the room is open. Figure out a break even point.

Okay, but I am not sure how you think that would all work and still benefit the type of golfer you hope it does:

1. Prevent groups from booking 12-20. Our group would just have 3 of us call in and book a foursome each. A bit less convenient but it would not prevent us from taking the trip with the same amount of guys. 

2. I am not sure what you mean by opening up 5 times per day - they already have 'starter times' (blank times on the tee sheet) that well exceed 5 a day. Do you want even more? That would only make it harder to get a tee time.

3. If you get too creative with on and off course rates and last minute booking people will try to game the system AND you will just have more pressure on the tee sheet. You can't both make it cheaper and have less people. IF they did have a big issue with getting people to play the courses this would make sense, but as they have strong pressure on the tee sheet, not a lot of reason to put things on 'sale'. 

Edited by 2bGood

15 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

For some people it does not work for them. We have on CPAP user that is on some of golf trips - those things are loud, prostate issue - up and down all night, 

Okay, but I am not sure how you think that would all work and still benefit the type of golfer you hope it does:

1. Prevent groups from booking 12-20. Our group would just have 3 of us call in and book a foursome each. A bit less convenient but it would not prevent us from taking the trip with the same amount of guys. 

2. I am not sure what you mean by opening up 5 times per day - they already have 'starter times' (blank times on the tee sheet) that well exceed 5 a day. Do you want even more? That would only make it harder to get a tee time.

3. If you get too creative with on and off course rates and last minute booking people will try to game the system AND you will just have more pressure on the tee sheet. You can't both make it cheaper and have less people. IF they did have a big issue with getting people to play the courses this would make sense, but as they have strong pressure on the tee sheet, not a lot of reason to put things on 'sale'. 

I wasn’t saying the common area works for everyone, just saying what I could live with.

I think we all agree Bandon is in a shortage of single occupancy rooms. Hopefully the new Round Lake ones help.

6 minutes ago, Edaw68 said:

I wasn’t saying the common area works for everyone, just saying what I could live with.

I think we all agree Bandon is in a shortage of single occupancy rooms. Hopefully the new Round Lake ones help.

I actually like sharing a room and never found it a big deal, but I get why some people need a separate space. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

For some people it does not work for them. We have one CPAP user that is on some of golf trips - those things are loud, prostate issue - up and down all night, 

I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying, even though I hate to keep talking about this, my issue is when 4 or 5 out of every group of 12 to 20 take single rooms. 

Starter times have nothing to do with what I am talking about and I have never heard of them using starter times there, but I could easily be wrong. What I am talking about is if they do NOT increase lodging capacity, adding a 5th full size course, should alleviate some pressure and open up tee times. Basically if there are 250 (made up number) people for x number of tee times on 4 courses there are now 250 people competing for y number of tee times on 5 courses. That should open up 1 or 2 an hour on the other courses. 

#3 - I see your point just saying my wish list. 

2 hours ago, mallrat said:

I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying, even though I hate to keep talking about this, my issue is when 4 or 5 out of every group of 12 to 20 take single rooms. 

Starter times have nothing to do with what I am talking about and I have never heard of them using starter times there, but I could easily be wrong. What I am talking about is if they do NOT increase lodging capacity, adding a 5th full size course, should alleviate some pressure and open up tee times. Basically if there are 250 (made up number) people for x number of tee times on 4 courses there are now 250 people competing for y number of tee times on 5 courses. That should open up 1 or 2 an hour on the other courses. 

#3 - I see your point just saying my wish list. 

Got you. Yes in theory the new course should open up more tee times, if accommodations stay the same. I wish I could remember more of it, but I once had a few beers with someone high up at Bandon, an old timer and we got talking more about the business side of the course and we did touch on the balance between rooms on site and tee time etc. I can't remember much of it (it was ten years ago or so) but I do recall them talking about having one course closed each day in the off season to be more efficient, but also not have the optics that courses were empty. I would love to bump into that conversation again.

FYI I think they have a starter time around once every 90min. Ironically I only know this because when we book multiple foursome sometime it works out the starter time falls the middle of our group. 

For rounds that can only be booked 3 weeks in advance for people not staying on property during winter; what time does reservations open for bookings? Staying on property for 3 days in early February but we want to book a round on the Preserve and any of the big courses with availability for the day before our reservation starts (8th). Trying to call as early as possible to book it.

Reading all this unfortunately confirms that it’s unlikely I’ll ever make it out there to play. There is just no way I can schedule more than a year out, and with (from reading here) the rapidly increasing  demand I can’t see how prices won’t continue to increase. As much as I would like to go there (no one ever seems to come away without giving rave reviews) it seems I can go to Mesquite or Phoenix (or similar) for about half the cost. 

I sure like reading everyone’s reviews of their trips though. 

Edited by deadsolid...shank
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, deadsolid...shank said:

Reading all this unfortunately confirms that it’s unlikely I’ll ever make it out there to play. There is just no way I can schedule more than a year out, and with (from reading here) the rapidly increasing  demand I can’t see how prices won’t continue to increase. As much as I would like to go there (no one ever seems to come away without giving rave reviews) it seems I can go to Mesquite or Phoenix (or similar) for about half the cost. 

I sure like reading everyone’s reviews of their trips though. 

I would not jump to that conclusion too fast. Yes if you want a planned out trip with several other golfers you need to book well in advance, but your booking is 100% refundable 30 days before the booking. 

Then as if by magic 50 - 30 days before the time you want to play booking open as people cancel their long ago booked trips for various reasons.  Call in a few times per week during this time period and you will end up getting rooms/times.

The third option is if you are a twosome or single you can walk on without much effort or book with short notice given the number of courses they have. I have done this several times when I was passing through  the area.

I don't have any hacks for the cost though- other than going in the winter. 

3 hours ago, rouges1922 said:

For rounds that can only be booked 3 weeks in advance for people not staying on property during winter; what time does reservations open for bookings? Staying on property for 3 days in early February but we want to book a round on the Preserve and any of the big courses with availability for the day before our reservation starts (8th). Trying to call as early as possible to book it.

I would say this is the exception and not the norm but call. Twice I have had a reservation agent wave the time frame because I couldn’t get a room the 1st night or last night and had to stay in town. They didn’t adjust the price but did let me book well in advance. Just explain to them what is going on, worst they can say is no