Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

23 hours ago, Edaw68 said:

That spot is the worst.

Pac definitely has the most annoying bunkers IMHO - not from a strategy POV - but from a getting in and out of them POV.

Edited by duffer987
  • Like 2

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

1 hour ago, duffer987 said:

Pac definitely has the most annoying bunkers IMHO - not from a strategy POV - but from a getting in and out of them POV.

I agree with that. I think I’ve had maybe 3 lies over at least a dozen rounds where I had a normal level lie and stance. It’s always some weird angle where controlling the amount of sand is difficult.

14 hours ago, Edaw68 said:

I agree with that. I think I’ve had maybe 3 lies over at least a dozen rounds where I had a normal level lie and stance. It’s always some weird angle where controlling the amount of sand is difficult.

... or completely unplayable.  PD definitely has the highest number of utterly impossible bunker lies per capita at the resort.  

I have several pics of Edaw68 (who manages to find at least one or two each trip) in situations where random laws of physics are seemingly invalid.

• Like 3

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

6 hours ago, spud3 said:

... or completely unplayable.  PD definitely has the highest number of utterly impossible bunker lies per capita at the resort.  

I have several pics of Edaw68 (who manages to find at least one or two each trip) in situations where random laws of physics are seemingly invalid.

Ya I wasn't really thinking about the playing of them: I literally meant getting in and out of them 🙂

But absolutely the one informs the other. Their size + winter golf = a lot of balls acting more like Spiderman than golf balls. I would hope in the summer they roll down to the base?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

On 11/20/2020 at 7:34 PM, duffer987 said:

i agree with this, so much...i wasnt in them very often but i made some big numbers when i caught them....i found the trails bunkers were the best of the bunch...

On 11/16/2020 at 5:42 PM, OregonHack said:

Assuming the course stays open, we will there for 3 nights and 3 rounds under the "Freeze" mandated. My question is to those who may have been there, how was the to go food service? We aren't a picky group. Just hoping to grab simple McKees food and take back to room. 

Also, is anyone aware of any restaurants that deliver from the town of Bandon? Thinking those restaurants could really use the support. However we may need delivery as our group tends to be a bit too festive to drive by dinner time. 

We just got back from being there Nov 12 - 17, and they will deliver meals to your rooms if you want to order from the restaurants. Super easy, all the menus are online.

18 hours ago, bradleyguye said:

What was the experience like? I would imagine just a lot more room drinking

It was still a blast. We had a group of 8, so we opted for room drinking for budget considerations anyways. But we still ate at restaurants 3 of the nights, they were open just at limited capacity. It was my first time there, but I didn't feel like it hampered our experience, only difference is we probably would have had one late night in the pub if everything were open as normal.

6 hours ago, duffer987 said:

TBH I don't think I could in good conscience make a booking face to face and not feel guilty... "ok, now if we compare Schedule1a to Schedule3c, which gives us the best green speed progression from slow to fast, while concentrating more R->L teeshots for Fri and Sat mornings ,based on the prevailing winds and Farmer's Almanac entries for the PNW in winter 2022."

"Excuse me sir?"

No kidding, I even feel guilty on the phone sometimes.  I just know they have a history of all my calls pulled up when I call in.  Can almost hear there eyes roll when I ask for the 3rd week in a row if I can move my morning tee time up 10 minutes from 7:40 so I can be first off at 7:30 on Old Mac. 

While we're on the subject, first group off at Old Mac is sublime.

• Like 2

Looks like Oregon moving to a county by county COVID approach.  Coos county high risk (but not extreme) so indoor dining should return at Bandon (assuming it went away) once the freeze is lifted in a few days.  Welcome news for those heading there soon...although we all know this stuff can change in a hurry. 

• Like 2

On 11/28/2020 at 6:25 AM, graveydellic said:

Looks like Oregon moving to a county by county COVID approach.  Coos county high risk (but not extreme) so indoor dining should return at Bandon (assuming it went away) once the freeze is lifted in a few days.  Welcome news for those heading there soon...although we all know this stuff can change in a hurry. 

Erm ya I wouldn't be presuming anything, unless you have that from the horse's mouth.

25% capacity doesn't seem worth the administrative effort/enforcement (except maybe McKees), especially when they have their take-away system down pat now and folks have been getting on with it just fine.

• Like 1

F.T.

1 hour ago, duffer987 said:

Erm ya I wouldn't be presuming anything, unless you have that from the horse's mouth.

25% capacity doesn't seem worth the administrative effort/enforcement (except maybe McKees), especially when they have their take-away system down pat now and folks have been getting on with it just fine.

Their email just confirmed this. Adding another month to the indoor dining/fire pits/outdoor seating shutdown. No reason for them to push for low capacity seating right now as you said. 

Edited by mci711
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, duffer987 said:

They just went to takeout only through Jan 3.  It is what it is, although it's unfortunate that they close the outdoor areas and firepits because even on a chilly day that would be a great place to enjoy a post round beer.  Debating on whether to proceed or not.  Planning to go with my non golfing wife first week of Jan.  Days are short so was planning for only 1 round a day, but with no bars, restaurants, etc open that leaves a considerable amount of time to be sitting in a hotel room.  It's my 30th bday so wife is on board regardless, but questioning if it's worth the travel to spend countless hours a day eating and drinking in a hotel room.  

2 hours ago, graveydellic said:

They just went to takeout only through Jan 3.  It is what it is, although it's unfortunate that they close the outdoor areas and firepits because even on a chilly day that would be a great place to enjoy a post round beer.  Debating on whether to proceed or not.  Planning to go with my non golfing wife first week of Jan.  Days are short so was planning for only 1 round a day, but with no bars, restaurants, etc open that leaves a considerable amount of time to be sitting in a hotel room.  It's my 30th bday so wife is on board regardless, but questioning if it's worth the travel to spend countless hours a day eating and drinking in a hotel room.  

The town of Bandon is a short drive. The county may allow 25% capacity. If so, I would imagine some of their restaurants and bars will open up. Could get you out of the room a bit. That announcement for the next two week (I believe) window will come later today. 

3 hours ago, graveydellic said:

Lots of hiking and areas to explore outside of the hotel room.  Is still go lots of different things to enjoy...weather permitting.

On 11/30/2020 at 1:16 PM, graveydellic said:

If the Massage Center is still open, book her an appointment there; my non-golfing wife went with me in early October and loved her massage. We only ate out one of the nights and did room service the others - after long days of walking, eating inside the comfort of your own (warm) room isn't such a bad thing.

Edited by Lefty_89

Anybody have any good options between Bandon and Eugene?  Looking for a travel day round.  If we can't get the first tee time at the resort on that day, we want to leave earlier and play nearer to the Eugene airport so we don't miss our early evening flights.  What are the best options up the coast?

I hear Eugene CC is rad.  Will they let folks out if we make some calls?  What else?

10 hours ago, JNewsted said:

Anybody have any good options between Bandon and Eugene?  Looking for a travel day round.  If we can't get the first tee time at the resort on that day, we want to leave earlier and play nearer to the Eugene airport so we don't miss our early evening flights.  What are the best options up the coast?

I hear Eugene CC is rad.  Will they let folks out if we make some calls?  What else?

How early is early evening? As you don't need the first time out to make a 5 or 6pm flight. If you've not flown in before, Eugene is a small airport with the car hire parking at the terminal. It's dead easy to get from the car to the gate.

F.T.

13 hours ago, duffer987 said:

How early is early evening? As you don't need the first time out to make a 5 or 6pm flight. If you've not flown in before, Eugene is a small airport with the car hire parking at the terminal. It's dead easy to get from the car to the gate.

This is what I was hoping to hear (had never been thru Eugene) but my flights got changed.  Looks like AM golf is off the list for my escape day...

Any chance someone might be in the mood for an impromptu trip? My buddies mom isn’t doing well, not Covid stuff, and most likely won’t make it. 

itinerary is a little for him being his 1st trip. Arrive Sunday and head out Weds. 

12/13- Trails - 11:40

12/14- Bandon AM - Preserve PM

12/15- Pac Am & PM (4 courses closed for maintenance 

12/16- OM head home

i will know in the next day or 2 but if someone wants to join I will gladly let you change to your own schedule. 

EDIT... Should add you will have your own Forest King

Edited by mallrat
  • Like 1

Just got back tonight from a recon mission to SR (full trip report coming in the next day or two), or I'd probably take you up on that... 🙂

No Sheep Ranch?  Not a surprise, I had a helluva time getting on, even as a single...

And I confirmed that 7 rooms at the Inn (including the Forest King I stayed in last night) have a jetted tub in the room.  Ask for one when you arrive (preferably in the morning, before checkout time).  I think it may be just the rooms at the end of the hallways.  It's kinda loud, but a great alternative to the (still closed) sauna/jacuzzi in the Lodge

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"