So really...re: divots...

> @Shilgy said:

> So now we have three groups discussing this? Or is it four or more?

>

> One says leave the rule alone-it is too difficult to identify when they are no longer divots so leave the rule alone.

>

> Another says it is just not fair!! A player should get relief from a divot hole or any other grass disfigurement for as long as it might still be a divot growing back.

>

> The newest group says as long as it is repaired in some form it is okay to play from. However that circles back to one. If the divot is not replaced and not sand filled then at what point is it grown back enough to no longer get relief......which circles back to the second group where if it still looks like it may have been a divot it is still relief.

>

> Who did I miss?? Oh yeah.....

>

> The fourth group just wants LCP in the fairway at all times.

Not sure but I think nsx is organizing some sort of match between the groups.

> @Mikey5e said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @Schulzmc said:

> > > > @"cheers big ears" said:

> > > > Rub of the green has always been in the game. Its a basic part of the mental test. If you're so fragile that an imperfect lie throws you off then so be it. But its a part of the game that rughtly rewards the more resilient player.

> > > >

> > > > If you want to take relief - take it, same as if you want a breakfast ball, or mulligan, not a single person cares, enjoy golf as you like it, but dont spoil it for everyone who wants to play by the rules by making your fun knock around the championship standard.

> > >

> > > Comments like this are missing the point. No one is saying we should always get a perfect lie. We totally agree that "rub of the green" is a part of the game. And no one is suggesting we cheat and take a drop. We are simply wondering why the rules bodies do not account for a situation like the above. That isn't an "imperfect lie" - it's a terrible lie that could have been avoided if the previous player had simply filled his divot or replaced it. If I hit a drive and my ball is sitting down in a natural depression in the fairway, so be it. Or even in a divot filled with sand. I'm mentally tough enough to handle that. (Not "fragile") I just don't believe a lie like the above, while in the fairway, is in the spirit of the game.

> >

> > I don't recall. Have you provided the readers with your definition of a divot ?

>

> I really can't believe how some cannot understand the definition of a divot. What would you call my ball in in the picture I included above? Like was mentioned, if a divot is repaired with sand or replacement of the sod, I don't have a problem with it. But when some hacker takes a crater like that and doesn't fix it there should be some recourse. After all golf is a game of etiquette and I shouldn't be punished for someone's lack thereof.

>

I agree. That ball of yours is definitely in a divot.

Now what was your definition again ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

> @nsxguy said:

> > @Mikey5e said:

> > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > @Schulzmc said:

> > > > > @"cheers big ears" said:

> > > > > Rub of the green has always been in the game. Its a basic part of the mental test. If you're so fragile that an imperfect lie throws you off then so be it. But its a part of the game that rughtly rewards the more resilient player.

> > > > >

> > > > > If you want to take relief - take it, same as if you want a breakfast ball, or mulligan, not a single person cares, enjoy golf as you like it, but dont spoil it for everyone who wants to play by the rules by making your fun knock around the championship standard.

> > > >

> > > > Comments like this are missing the point. No one is saying we should always get a perfect lie. We totally agree that "rub of the green" is a part of the game. And no one is suggesting we cheat and take a drop. We are simply wondering why the rules bodies do not account for a situation like the above. That isn't an "imperfect lie" - it's a terrible lie that could have been avoided if the previous player had simply filled his divot or replaced it. If I hit a drive and my ball is sitting down in a natural depression in the fairway, so be it. Or even in a divot filled with sand. I'm mentally tough enough to handle that. (Not "fragile") I just don't believe a lie like the above, while in the fairway, is in the spirit of the game.

> > >

> > > I don't recall. Have you provided the readers with your definition of a divot ?

> >

> > I really can't believe how some cannot understand the definition of a divot. What would you call my ball in in the picture I included above? Like was mentioned, if a divot is repaired with sand or replacement of the sod, I don't have a problem with it. But when some hacker takes a crater like that and doesn't fix it there should be some recourse. After all golf is a game of etiquette and I shouldn't be punished for someone's lack thereof.

> >

>

> I agree. That ball of yours is definitely in a divot.

>

> Now what was your definition again ?

It's in a divot hole. It would be a neat trick for a ball to end up in the actual divot.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

> @Schulzmc said:

> > @Halebopp said:

> > So, how deep does the crater need to be for it to be considered a divot hole? And how many blades of grass does it take to grow in the unrepaired divot hole for it to not be considered a divot hole any longer (an absolute number or per square inch)?

>

> Depth doesn’t matter. It is an unrepaired divot if it is a section of the turf removed by a golf swing. And “blades of grass growing in” is irrelevant because once the divot is filled with sand/seed it is no longer an unrepaired divot and I am fine playing out of it.

>

> Of course - now I’m guessing we will have to discuss how it can be “known with virtual certainty” that the divot was caused by a golf swing... :)

>

No, we are still discussing what is an unrepaired divot hole and what is simply a surface irregularity. The same problem as on page one of this thread.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

> @nsxguy said:

> > @Schulzmc said:

> > > @"cheers big ears" said:

> > > Rub of the green has always been in the game. Its a basic part of the mental test. If you're so fragile that an imperfect lie throws you off then so be it. But its a part of the game that rughtly rewards the more resilient player.

> > >

> > > If you want to take relief - take it, same as if you want a breakfast ball, or mulligan, not a single person cares, enjoy golf as you like it, but dont spoil it for everyone who wants to play by the rules by making your fun knock around the championship standard.

> >

> > Comments like this are missing the point. No one is saying we should always get a perfect lie. We totally agree that "rub of the green" is a part of the game. And no one is suggesting we cheat and take a drop. We are simply wondering why the rules bodies do not account for a situation like the above. That isn't an "imperfect lie" - it's a terrible lie that could have been avoided if the previous player had simply filled his divot or replaced it. If I hit a drive and my ball is sitting down in a natural depression in the fairway, so be it. Or even in a divot filled with sand. I'm mentally tough enough to handle that. (Not "fragile") I just don't believe a lie like the above, while in the fairway, is in the spirit of the game.

>

> I don't recall. Have you provided the readers with your definition of a divot ?

>

> You know, so if free relief was written into the rules we'd know when to take it ?

Why do you keep asking for a definition of a divot? It is clearly defined.

divot - the cavity left when a piece of turf is cut from the ground by the club head in making a swing

> @HatsForBats said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @Schulzmc said:

> > > > @"cheers big ears" said:

> > > > Rub of the green has always been in the game. Its a basic part of the mental test. If you're so fragile that an imperfect lie throws you off then so be it. But its a part of the game that rughtly rewards the more resilient player.

> > > >

> > > > If you want to take relief - take it, same as if you want a breakfast ball, or mulligan, not a single person cares, enjoy golf as you like it, but dont spoil it for everyone who wants to play by the rules by making your fun knock around the championship standard.

> > >

> > > Comments like this are missing the point. No one is saying we should always get a perfect lie. We totally agree that "rub of the green" is a part of the game. And no one is suggesting we cheat and take a drop. We are simply wondering why the rules bodies do not account for a situation like the above. That isn't an "imperfect lie" - it's a terrible lie that could have been avoided if the previous player had simply filled his divot or replaced it. If I hit a drive and my ball is sitting down in a natural depression in the fairway, so be it. Or even in a divot filled with sand. I'm mentally tough enough to handle that. (Not "fragile") I just don't believe a lie like the above, while in the fairway, is in the spirit of the game.

> >

> > I don't recall. Have you provided the readers with your definition of a divot ?

> >

> > You know, so if free relief was written into the rules we'd know when to take it ?

>

> Why do you keep asking for a definition of a divot? It is clearly defined.

>

> divot - the cavity left when a piece of turf is cut from the ground by the club head in making a swing

>

>

>

That's the definition of a divot HOLE, not the divot.

> @Sawgrass said:

> > @HatsForBats said:

> > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > @Schulzmc said:

> > > > > @"cheers big ears" said:

> > > > > Rub of the green has always been in the game. Its a basic part of the mental test. If you're so fragile that an imperfect lie throws you off then so be it. But its a part of the game that rughtly rewards the more resilient player.

> > > > >

> > > > > If you want to take relief - take it, same as if you want a breakfast ball, or mulligan, not a single person cares, enjoy golf as you like it, but dont spoil it for everyone who wants to play by the rules by making your fun knock around the championship standard.

> > > >

> > > > Comments like this are missing the point. No one is saying we should always get a perfect lie. We totally agree that "rub of the green" is a part of the game. And no one is suggesting we cheat and take a drop. We are simply wondering why the rules bodies do not account for a situation like the above. That isn't an "imperfect lie" - it's a terrible lie that could have been avoided if the previous player had simply filled his divot or replaced it. If I hit a drive and my ball is sitting down in a natural depression in the fairway, so be it. Or even in a divot filled with sand. I'm mentally tough enough to handle that. (Not "fragile") I just don't believe a lie like the above, while in the fairway, is in the spirit of the game.

> > >

> > > I don't recall. Have you provided the readers with your definition of a divot ?

> > >

> > > You know, so if free relief was written into the rules we'd know when to take it ?

> >

> > Why do you keep asking for a definition of a divot? It is clearly defined.

> >

> > divot - the cavity left when a piece of turf is cut from the ground by the club head in making a swing

> >

> >

> >

>

> That's the definition of a divot HOLE, not the divot.

Is that directed at me or at NSXGuy who asked for the deifinition of a divot when meaning what you say should be a divot HOLE? Besides what Newby pointed out above the original poster used Divot in reference to the hole left behind and so have many of those opposed to the idea in this thread. Yet you choose my post to take issue with it? OK.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/nitpick , Synonym: https://forums.golfwrx.com/profile/Sawgrass

> @HatsForBats said:

> > @Sawgrass said:

> > > @HatsForBats said:

> > > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > > @Schulzmc said:

> > > > > > @"cheers big ears" said:

> > > > > > Rub of the green has always been in the game. Its a basic part of the mental test. If you're so fragile that an imperfect lie throws you off then so be it. But its a part of the game that rughtly rewards the more resilient player.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > If you want to take relief - take it, same as if you want a breakfast ball, or mulligan, not a single person cares, enjoy golf as you like it, but dont spoil it for everyone who wants to play by the rules by making your fun knock around the championship standard.

> > > > >

> > > > > Comments like this are missing the point. No one is saying we should always get a perfect lie. We totally agree that "rub of the green" is a part of the game. And no one is suggesting we cheat and take a drop. We are simply wondering why the rules bodies do not account for a situation like the above. That isn't an "imperfect lie" - it's a terrible lie that could have been avoided if the previous player had simply filled his divot or replaced it. If I hit a drive and my ball is sitting down in a natural depression in the fairway, so be it. Or even in a divot filled with sand. I'm mentally tough enough to handle that. (Not "fragile") I just don't believe a lie like the above, while in the fairway, is in the spirit of the game.

> > > >

> > > > I don't recall. Have you provided the readers with your definition of a divot ?

> > > >

> > > > You know, so if free relief was written into the rules we'd know when to take it ?

> > >

> > > Why do you keep asking for a definition of a divot? It is clearly defined.

> > >

> > > divot - the cavity left when a piece of turf is cut from the ground by the club head in making a swing

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > That's the definition of a divot HOLE, not the divot.

>

> Is that directed at me or at NSXGuy who asked for the deifinition of a divot when meaning what you say should be a divot HOLE? Besides what Newby pointed out above the original poster used Divot in reference to the hole left behind and so have many of those opposed to the idea in this thread. Yet you choose my post to take issue with it? OK.

>

> https://www.dictionary.com/browse/nitpick , Synonym: https://forums.golfwrx.com/profile/Sawgrass

Irrespective of how a general dictionary may define things, the rules suggest that a divot is a piece of turf. As in 1/2a where it says,

"Taking good care of the course – for example, by replacing divots, smoothing bunkers, repairing ball-marks, and not causing unnecessary damage to the course."

One cleaerly does not "replace" a hole. Also 8.1a (3) says:

"(3) Alter the surface of the ground, including by:

Replacing divots in a divot hole,"

You bothered to attempt to define a divot, and you did it in what the rules perceive as the wrong way. Since precision is useful in making a definition (after all, all the controversy over exactly how you define it has gotten a lot of play here) I thought I'd point that out. Sorry you take umbrage, but when attempting to write a rule, you should be as precise as possible.

> @Mikey5e said:

> I can see why the world has some many problems when a simple hole in the ground cannot be defined by half the people in here. It sure indicates why there are so many unresolved issues in here. If you can't determine whether or not l am in a divot, from my photos, well, I think you may be beyond repair.

Do you understand that no one here has trouble determining that your pictured ball is in a divot hole? The discussion beyond that is in regard to less obvious situations.

> @Sawgrass said:

> > @Mikey5e said:

> > I can see why the world has some many problems when a simple hole in the ground cannot be defined by half the people in here. It sure indicates why there are so many unresolved issues in here. If you can't determine whether or not l am in a divot, from my photos, well, I think you may be beyond repair.

>

> Do you understand that no one here has trouble determining that your pictured ball is in a divot hole? The discussion beyond that is in regard to less obvious situations.

OK, now I do. Maybe the attached photo will help those who struggle with common sense?. These photos show the life of a divot. Top left = free drop, bottom right = play it as it lies.

Maybe you naysayers could include a photo of what might be a questionable divot is so I can help you out? d2y0kqrilq8a.png

> @Mikey5e said:

> > @Sawgrass said:

> > > @Mikey5e said:

> > > I can see why the world has some many problems when a simple hole in the ground cannot be defined by half the people in here. It sure indicates why there are so many unresolved issues in here. If you can't determine whether or not l am in a divot, from my photos, well, I think you may be beyond repair.

> >

> > Do you understand that no one here has trouble determining that your pictured ball is in a divot hole? The discussion beyond that is in regard to less obvious situations.

>

> OK, now I do. Maybe the attached photo will help those who struggle with common sense?. These photos show the life of a divot. Top left = free drop, bottom right = play it as it lies.

> Maybe you naysayers could include a photo of what might be a questionable divot is so I can help you out? d2y0kqrilq8a.png

>

NOW you do ? LOL There are almost 800 posts in this thread and I'm betting half of them are about HOW one tells whether it WAS/STILL IS a divot. Anyone can tell YOUR picture was a divot (with apologies to those who stick to the "divot HOLE" definition LOL).

And BTW, just for the record, your picture isn't the entire story either. Down here in Florida among many other places one NEVER puts the divot back intact and ALWAYS fills it with sand.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

> @nsxguy said:

> > @Mikey5e said:

> > > @Sawgrass said:

> > > > @Mikey5e said:

> > > > I can see why the world has some many problems when a simple hole in the ground cannot be defined by half the people in here. It sure indicates why there are so many unresolved issues in here. If you can't determine whether or not l am in a divot, from my photos, well, I think you may be beyond repair.

> > >

> > > Do you understand that no one here has trouble determining that your pictured ball is in a divot hole? The discussion beyond that is in regard to less obvious situations.

> >

> > OK, now I do. Maybe the attached photo will help those who struggle with common sense?. These photos show the life of a divot. Top left = free drop, bottom right = play it as it lies.

> > Maybe you naysayers could include a photo of what might be a questionable divot is so I can help you out? d2y0kqrilq8a.png

> >

>

> NOW you do ? LOL There are almost 800 posts in this thread and I'm betting half of them are about HOW one tells whether it WAS/STILL IS a divot. Anyone can tell YOUR picture was a divot (with apologies to those who stick to the "divot HOLE" definition LOL).

>

> And BTW, just for the record, your picture isn't the entire story either. Down here in Florida among many other places one NEVER puts the divot back intact and ALWAYS fills it with sand.

>

>

Same here in South TX. Whatever disturbed ground is filled with sand. Frequently there isn't even a hole, but just scraped Bermuda that looks like it got a bad haircut.

> @"Mr. Bean" said:

> > @Mikey5e said:

> > Just show me a photo of a questionable divot! Stop the useless arguing and show me, so I can help you out. Evidently you need that help, and I can help you because I have decent common sense.

>

> You still haven't answered my question in post #779. Would you care to do that?

No, you appear to be too closed minded.

> @Mikey5e said:

> Just show me a photo of a questionable divot! Stop the useless arguing and show me, so I can help you out. Evidently you need that help, and I can help you because I have decent common sense.

In this thread-posts # 188 #194 #338 Some of your "we want relief" brethren would want relief. What say you? Perhaps you could reply to each of those three posts to start.

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

> > > > @Mikey5e said:

> > > >

>

> And BTW, just for the record, your picture isn't the entire story either. Down here in Florida among many other places one **NEVER puts the divot back intact **and ALWAYS fills it with sand.

>

>

And this is the way it should be. The only reason you see people replacing the entire chunk of grass back into the divot is because the caddies on Tour do it. If you ask any Superintendent on any golf course, they will tell you to leave the beaver pelt as it lies & just smooth it out with the divot mix on the cart. Reason being is that the grass never takes root again after it's been dug up. It will heal much faster if the divot mix is correctly mixed with sand and seed.

Driver: Titleist TSR3 UST Mamiya Prototype  

Fairways: Titleist TS2 13.5* UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue

Utility: Titleist U500 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue HB

Irons:  T350 4 & 5, T200 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges: Vokey SM9 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Proto 

Ball: ProV1 Left Dot

> @Mikey5e said:

> > @"Mr. Bean" said:

> > > @Mikey5e said:

> > > Just show me a photo of a questionable divot! Stop the useless arguing and show me, so I can help you out. Evidently you need that help, and I can help you because I have decent common sense.

> >

> > You still haven't answered my question in post #779. Would you care to do that?

>

> No, you appear to be too closed minded.

So you cannot answer that? Just what I suspected. Had you ever played outside USA you would know what I am talking about.

> @HackinNut said:

> > > > > @Mikey5e said:

> > > > >

> >

> > And BTW, just for the record, your picture isn't the entire story either. Down here in Florida among many other places one **NEVER puts the divot back intact **and ALWAYS fills it with sand.

> >

> >

>

> And this is the way it should be. The only reason you see people replacing the entire chunk of grass back into the divot is because the caddies on Tour do it. If you ask any Superintendent on any golf course, they will tell you to leave the beaver pelt as it lies & just smooth it out with the divot mix on the cart. Reason being is that the grass never takes root again after it's been dug up. It will heal much faster if the divot mix is correctly mixed with sand and seed.

What I could find from the USGA states replacing is always the best option. Maybe their advice has changed since 2 years ago?

https://www.usga.org/course-care/forethegolfer/2017/to-fill--or-not-to-fill--there-is-no-question.html

@Mikey5e said:

> Just show me a photo of a questionable divot! Stop the useless arguing and show me, so I can help you out. Evidently you need that help, and I can help you because I have decent common sense.

Many in this thread would say you SHOULD get relief from the bottom-right-one in your picture. You said "play it as it lies."

> @HatsForBats said:

> > @HackinNut said:

> > > > > > @Mikey5e said:

> > > > > >

> > >

> > > And BTW, just for the record, your picture isn't the entire story either. Down here in Florida among many other places one **NEVER puts the divot back intact **and ALWAYS fills it with sand.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > And this is the way it should be. The only reason you see people replacing the entire chunk of grass back into the divot is because the caddies on Tour do it. If you ask any Superintendent on any golf course, they will tell you to leave the beaver pelt as it lies & just smooth it out with the divot mix on the cart. Reason being is that the grass never takes root again after it's been dug up. It will heal much faster if the divot mix is correctly mixed with sand and seed.

>

> What I could find from the USGA states replacing is always the best option. Maybe their advice has changed since 2 years ago?

>

> https://www.usga.org/course-care/forethegolfer/2017/to-fill--or-not-to-fill--there-is-no-question.html

As far as the USGA is concerned, they may be correct. But every Superintendent I worked for when I was a kid always said to use the divot mix. The missing sod has never taken by the time the mowers came down the fairway the next morning, so it was a moot point. They would just get ripped up by the blades.

Driver: Titleist TSR3 UST Mamiya Prototype  

Fairways: Titleist TS2 13.5* UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue

Utility: Titleist U500 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue HB

Irons:  T350 4 & 5, T200 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges: Vokey SM9 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Proto 

Ball: ProV1 Left Dot

> @HackinNut said:

> > > > > @Mikey5e said:

> > > > >

> >

> > And BTW, just for the record, your picture isn't the entire story either. Down here in Florida among many other places one **NEVER puts the divot back intact **and ALWAYS fills it with sand.

> >

> >

>

> And this is the way it should be. The only reason you see people replacing the entire chunk of grass back into the divot is because the caddies on Tour do it. If you ask any Superintendent on any golf course, they will tell you to leave the beaver pelt as it lies & just smooth it out with the divot mix on the cart. Reason being is that the grass never takes root again after it's been dug up. It will heal much faster if the divot mix is correctly mixed with sand and seed.

Sand is great, and that would constitute a repaired divot and no relief could be required.

> @HitEmTrue said:

> @Mikey5e said:

> > Just show me a photo of a questionable divot! Stop the useless arguing and show me, so I can help you out. Evidently you need that help, and I can help you because I have decent common sense.

>

> Many in this thread would say you SHOULD get relief from the bottom-right-one in your picture. You said "play it as it lies."

>

It's repaired, and play it like it lies in that particular sand-filled divot.

> @Mikey5e said:

> > @HitEmTrue said:

> > @Mikey5e said:

> > > Just show me a photo of a questionable divot! Stop the useless arguing and show me, so I can help you out. Evidently you need that help, and I can help you because I have decent common sense.

> >

> > Many in this thread would say you SHOULD get relief from the bottom-right-one in your picture. You said "play it as it lies."

> >

>

> It's repaired, and play it like it lies in that particular sand-filled divot.

So... in your opinion a divot hole has been repaired only when filled with sand, is that it?

> @"Mr. Bean" said:

> > @Mikey5e said:

> > > @HitEmTrue said:

> > > @Mikey5e said:

> > > > Just show me a photo of a questionable divot! Stop the useless arguing and show me, so I can help you out. Evidently you need that help, and I can help you because I have decent common sense.

> > >

> > > Many in this thread would say you SHOULD get relief from the bottom-right-one in your picture. You said "play it as it lies."

> > >

> >

> > It's repaired, and play it like it lies in that particular sand-filled divot.

>

> So... in your opinion a divot hole has been repaired only when filled with sand, is that it?

I know how you are trying to entrap me, but m5e doesn't get fooled easily. A divot that is repaired will be level with the turf around it, when it is not level it is considered a divot under repair, allowing for a free drop.

> @HackinNut said:

> > > > > @Mikey5e said:

> > > > >

> >

> >

> >

>

Not necessarily. On a UK parkland course, a decent sized divot, properly replaced and tamped down with a heavy foot, will heal and regrow roots in a couple of days. Far faster than waiting for seed to germinate.

> @Mikey5e said:

> > @"Mr. Bean" said:

> > > @Mikey5e said:

> > > > @HitEmTrue said:

> > > > @Mikey5e said:

> > > > > Just show me a photo of a questionable divot! Stop the useless arguing and show me, so I can help you out. Evidently you need that help, and I can help you because I have decent common sense.

> > > >

> > > > Many in this thread would say you SHOULD get relief from the bottom-right-one in your picture. You said "play it as it lies."

> > > >

> > >

> > > It's repaired, and play it like it lies in that particular sand-filled divot.

> >

> > So... in your opinion a divot hole has been repaired only when filled with sand, is that it?

>

> I know how you are trying to entrap me, but m5e doesn't get fooled easily. A divot that is repaired will be level with the turf around it, when it is not level it is considered a divot under repair, allowing for a free drop.

Would we get out a straight-edge to see if there is enough sand in it? Does a repaired divot-hole turn back into a non-repaired state if the course doesn't mow for a few days, and the grass grows a little bit?

> @Newby said:

> > @HackinNut said:

> > > > > > @Mikey5e said:

> > > > > >

> > >

> > > And BTW, just for the record, your picture isn't the entire story either. Down here in Florida among many other places one **NEVER puts the divot back intact **and ALWAYS fills it with sand.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > And this is the way it should be. The only reason you see people replacing the entire chunk of grass back into the divot is because the caddies on Tour do it. If you ask any Superintendent on any golf course, they will tell you to leave the beaver pelt as it lies & just smooth it out with the divot mix on the cart. Reason being is that the grass never takes root again after it's been dug up. It will heal much faster if the divot mix is correctly mixed with sand and seed.

>

> Not necessarily. On a UK parkland course, a decent sized divot, properly replaced and tamped down with a heavy foot, will heal and regrow roots in a couple of days. Far faster than waiting for seed to germinate.

The Bermuda courses around here will usually just use sand, and the grass spreads to fill in the divot-hole. Most Bermuda grasses now are hybrids, and are typically planted by sodding rather than growing from seed. A Bermuda divot will not heal/regrow if it is replaced.