Dallas/Ft Worth Area Courses

cjblake09

17 hours ago, cval said:

I hear a lot of courses will be closing this weekend because of the freeze. I am hearing Sky Creek for sure are you hearing of any others? 

Not surprised for sure. Just looking at the daily forecast, I wouldn't expect any course to be open Thursay thru Saturday for sure. With only the slimmest of chances on Sunday. 

On 12/21/2021 at 8:37 AM, North Texas said:

For some reason this made me think of something George Carlin once said. 

Think of how stupid the average person is and then realize that half of them are stupider than that.

What's wrong with their greens? I played out there last week for the first time since I moved to TX 5 years ago, and I thought it was a great track! Not hard at all but clearly the greens are the protection on the course. Fun layout and by far one of the best deals in all of DFW. I love Grapevine and Waterchase too, but Rockwood's greens rank right up there for me. 

2 hours ago, Trying4Better said:

What's wrong with their greens? I played out there last week for the first time since I moved to TX 5 years ago, and I thought it was a great track! Not hard at all but clearly the greens are the protection on the course. Fun layout and by far one of the best deals in all of DFW. I love Grapevine and Waterchase too, but Rockwood's greens rank right up there for me. 

There are several that defy logic. The par 3 12th being one. 18 being another. 

13 minutes ago, callawayjay said:

my average at rockwood is 4 strokes higher. The only course of memory I have played enough to also show that discrepancy was Twin Lakes in canton.  

Twin Lakes was incredibly hard, and I loved playing it every chance I got.  Sure wish it was still around.  

Twin Lakes is the only golf course where I got so mad I broke a club across my shoulders and walked off.  I've learned a lot since then...

Edited by Maroon_19

"Obviously you're not a golfer." ~ The Dude
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it
." ~ Ferris Bueller
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight." ~ Ben Hogan

Woods:    Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5* (D,-1) - VA Composites Slay 65 Four | Callaway Rogue ST Max 15* 3W - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S | Callaway Rogue ST Max 20* HeavenWood - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S

Irons:      Artisan FC 4-P - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff | Mizuno MX-20 4-P DG300S (when I am not getting along with the Artisans)

Wedges:  Artisan 50*, 54*, 58* - DG300S

Putter:     Artisan 0920 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie | Artisan 0220 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie

Ball:         Titleist Pro V1 | Bridgestone Tour B X

Hi North Texas Folks! 

Somewhere around Memorial Day me and my fiancé are moving to D/FW from Northern Virginia. We are looking at areas to buy\rent a house. Naturally… I’d like to be somewhat close to a golf course. My office is about 15 minutes north of downtown Ft Worth, hers is probably going to be in downtown Ft Worth but she will likely remote work most of the time. I’d like to keep the commute under 25 minutes. Does anyone have any refs for areas to live /courses to play? Fossil Creek is the obvious choice but I’ve played there a few times and was kinda “meh”… thoughts?

21 hours ago, FlyingLaw1 said:

Hi North Texas Folks! 

Somewhere around Memorial Day me and my fiancé are moving to D/FW from Northern Virginia. We are looking at areas to buy\rent a house. Naturally… I’d like to be somewhat close to a golf course. My office is about 15 minutes north of downtown Ft Worth, hers is probably going to be in downtown Ft Worth but she will likely remote work most of the time. I’d like to keep the commute under 25 minutes. Does anyone have any refs for areas to live /courses to play? Fossil Creek is the obvious choice but I’ve played there a few times and was kinda “meh”… thoughts?

As always, depends on ur budget. Hawks Creek just west of downtown is a decent track. Plenty of places to live/rent north of fossil creek 

west of downtown is some places out towards Aledo where Split Rail is. 

keller has sky creek ranch. 

Burleson south of downtown has southern Oaks. 

south Arlington / Mansfield has Tierra Verde. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cjblake09 said:

Anyone been out to Texas Star recently?  Last time i played it i was a little disappointed with soggy greens.  Anything out there in great shape currently?  Getting back into the swing of things after a little break.

Texas star is good. The greens aren’t quite as good as waterchase but it’s close. 

• Like 1

FlyingLaw,

I enjoy Bridlewood, in Flower Mound just east of where you will office. Riverside in Grand Prairie is not a bad track. And for more of a challenge Texas Star is not that far away.  I prefer all of these to Fossil which I just don’t enjoy for whatever reason. Personally I live and play at Robson Ranch/Wildhorse GC but you are probably way too young to live there. 

I’m going to be doing a fitting at Artisan in 2 weeks. Planning on getting two rounds in while I’m in town. So far I think I’m playing Tierra Verde, but undecided on the second round. I’m kind of between Waterchase, Steven’s Park, and Texas Star. If y’all have any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated it! I’m open to other courses that I didn’t list as well. 

Taylormade Stealth 9 w/ Tensei White 1K 60TX

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 16.5 w/ Tensei White 1K 80TX

Callaway Apex UW 21 w/ Diamana D+ Limited Edition 90TX

Miura TC-201 4-PW w/ LAGP L-Series 
Artisan 50, 55, 60 w/ LAGP L-Series 

Evnroll ER11V

You couldn't go wrong with Waterchase, Texas Star, or Texas Rangers.  Star may be hard to get on.  WC is probably the easiest to get on, and will have the best greens.

Enjoy Artisan.  Worth every penny.  Those boys build some great clubs.

"Obviously you're not a golfer." ~ The Dude
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it
." ~ Ferris Bueller
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight." ~ Ben Hogan

Woods:    Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5* (D,-1) - VA Composites Slay 65 Four | Callaway Rogue ST Max 15* 3W - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S | Callaway Rogue ST Max 20* HeavenWood - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S

Irons:      Artisan FC 4-P - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff | Mizuno MX-20 4-P DG300S (when I am not getting along with the Artisans)

Wedges:  Artisan 50*, 54*, 58* - DG300S

Putter:     Artisan 0920 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie | Artisan 0220 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie

Ball:         Titleist Pro V1 | Bridgestone Tour B X

4 hours ago, Maroon_19 said:

You couldn't go wrong with Waterchase, Texas Star, or Texas Rangers.  Star may be hard to get on.  WC is probably the easiest to get on, and will have the best greens.

Has anyone been to Tierra Verde recently?  Last time i went i was not very impressed with the conditions.  

As stated above Waterchase, Texas Star, and Rangers will all be in good shape.  I am not that big a fan of Rangers as it is wide open and pretty easy and also $120.  You could also to Rockwood if you wanted to stay in Ft Worth.

Thank you everyone for the help! I appreciate it! And thank you @cjblake09for the heads up on Tierra Verde. Hopefully someone will have some further insight on that. 

On 2/27/2022 at 6:52 PM, cval said:

I would go play the Rangers

10 hours ago, Maroon_19 said:

I’m super stoked for the Artisan fit!

Taylormade Stealth 9 w/ Tensei White 1K 60TX

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 16.5 w/ Tensei White 1K 80TX

Callaway Apex UW 21 w/ Diamana D+ Limited Edition 90TX

Miura TC-201 4-PW w/ LAGP L-Series 
Artisan 50, 55, 60 w/ LAGP L-Series 

Evnroll ER11V

Diamond Oaks is barely ok as a CC. I have a good friend who is a member and the course is just meh 

tierra Verde had slow greens a week ago and my only complaint with rangers is that the greens are slow also. 

split rail this past weekend was really nice. Course plays fast until the grass arrives. 

Texas star today the greens were almost as good as waterchase. The dormant grass is better at the star. 

8 hours ago, ElGatoGrande said:

Just bought a house in Keller, moving from Dallas. I would be 10 min from Sky Creek. I see that I would be 15min from Diamond Oaks CC, not much info on it in this thread, anyone have experience with it?

I was member Diamond Oaks for a couple of years and now a member of skycreek. Diamond Oaks is a decent course with conditions going up and down. It is a nice a little club but just golf but it is private. If you get on with a group it is not bad. 

Skycreek is semi private a tough track. They have upped their game on course conditions but the course gets a lot of play. If you are looking for that private club experience you will not get it but it is closest you will get from a public course. They have raised their rates to make the membership more attractive. You also get reciprocal at Bridlewood which is a nice reprieve from Skycreek. 

Your only other private options are Timmaron and Trophy Club. Both have over sold on membership with Timmaron having a very high initiation for what you get. They are both club corp and that can be a  negative for some. 

PM me if you any other questions.

Edited by cval

On 2/28/2022 at 11:07 PM, callawayjay said:

Diamond Oaks is barely ok as a CC. I have a good friend who is a member and the course is just meh 

tierra Verde had slow greens a week ago and my only complaint with rangers is that the greens are slow also. 

split rail this past weekend was really nice. Course plays fast until the grass arrives. 

Texas star today the greens were almost as good as waterchase. The dormant grass is better at the star. 

Well i have to go back on my word after playing Texas Star today.  Greens were slow, had tons of weeds, and bad hole repair spots all over them.  Not worth the $90 to play and it is off our group list to play.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, cval said:

This time of year is hit or miss especially with all the fluctuations in weather. I would not right them off quite yet 

Agree but other "lesser" courses are not having any issues.  Last time we played it over the summer the greens were still spongy so I think they are having consistent issue.