My Paper Tiger journey / 1 year full time golfer job starts Monday 7-1-19

grantc79

> @Nard_S said:

> I find the whole endeavor frivolous. A dedicated year to close the deal on an amateur invite to the US Open, yeah, maybe okay. A year of life to get to scratch? No way, no matter how in order the rest of your reality is. I say this as someone who's goal is to be sub 5 someday and spends lots of time working towards it. It's outsized & plain silly, and should be re-evaluated, asap.

Why do you get to judge what another human being finds valuable and worth their time? Are you paying his bills?

• Like 1

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

> @Rohlio said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > I find the whole endeavor frivolous. A dedicated year to close the deal on an amateur invite to the US Open, yeah, maybe okay. A year of life to get to scratch? No way, no matter how in order the rest of your reality is. I say this as someone who's goal is to be sub 5 someday and spends lots of time working towards it. It's outsized & plain silly, and should be re-evaluated, asap.

>

> Why do you get to judge what another human being finds valuable and worth their time? Are you paying his bills?

The endeavor is cool, I’m glad he gets to give it a try. This thread, however, is self indulgent nonsense but it’s funny.

• Like 1

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

> @DFinch said:

> I think you being a really good shooting coach creates an important comparison about how this developed. If you were on a basketball forum and someone started a thread about wanting to become a world class shooter, and posted what their shooting coach had them working on, and it was something that not only went against everything you know about shooting but also was something that was likely to cause injury...well I hope you'd say something. If that person then started arguing with you with incorrect scientific arguments about why what they were doing was right, I think you'd get pretty frustrated.

>

> This whole discussion and your willingness to eventually question what you were being taught has, without a doubt, saved you from injury.

>

Grant’s first coach was teaching the basketball equivalent of Manute Bol’s “shot” combined with Klay Thompson’s scissor kick with the legs to draw fouls (the move that tore his ACL).

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

> @toc said:

> > @Rohlio said:

> > > @Nard_S said:

> > > I find the whole endeavor frivolous. A dedicated year to close the deal on an amateur invite to the US Open, yeah, maybe okay. A year of life to get to scratch? No way, no matter how in order the rest of your reality is. I say this as someone who's goal is to be sub 5 someday and spends lots of time working towards it. It's outsized & plain silly, and should be re-evaluated, asap.

> >

> > Why do you get to judge what another human being finds valuable and worth their time? Are you paying his bills?

>

> The endeavor is cool, I’m glad he gets to give it a try. This thread, however, is self indulgent nonsense but it’s funny.

>

6i09vxwmh6tl.jpg

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

Cobra Tec 17, 21, 24 hybrids

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

> @grantc79 said:

> > @toc said:

> > > @Rohlio said:

> > > > @Nard_S said:

> > > > I find the whole endeavor frivolous. A dedicated year to close the deal on an amateur invite to the US Open, yeah, maybe okay. A year of life to get to scratch? No way, no matter how in order the rest of your reality is. I say this as someone who's goal is to be sub 5 someday and spends lots of time working towards it. It's outsized & plain silly, and should be re-evaluated, asap.

> > >

> > > Why do you get to judge what another human being finds valuable and worth their time? Are you paying his bills?

> >

> > The endeavor is cool, I’m glad he gets to give it a try. This thread, however, is self indulgent nonsense but it’s funny.

> >

> 6i09vxwmh6tl.jpg

>

>

Car wrecks get a lot of views but they are hardly entertaining.

Not to derail the Springer show with actual golf discussion but here is other stuff I'm working on.

Hitting 100+ putts daily with a blast sensor in my living room. Started out completely focusing on tempo but got that to where its similar every time. Sometimes my take away is a bit a touch slower but my forward tempo is extremely solid right around .3 seconds every time.

Began working on face rotation a lot instead of focusing on tempo and this is early putts by me vs. recent putts by me.

8t2otbkl7q2p.png

f2vpuzyddoyc.png

I was literally hooking putts, I'm always closed on the face never open. Now I'm generally still a bit closed but its more square to slightly closed as opposed to 1 degree closed or more.

This type of stuff is what had me missing a ton of putts inside 5 feet.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

> @grantc79 said:

>

>

> I was literally hooking putts, I'm always closed on the face never open. Now I'm generally still a bit closed but its more square to slightly closed as opposed to 1 degree closed or more.

>

> This type of stuff is what had me missing a ton of putts inside 5 feet.

How can you hook a putt that is less than 5-foot?

One degree difference between face-and-path, on a putt with such a low speed, will impart enough side spin on the ball for it to curve?

> @Rohlio said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > I find the whole endeavor frivolous. A dedicated year to close the deal on an amateur invite to the US Open, yeah, maybe okay. A year of life to get to scratch? No way, no matter how in order the rest of your reality is. I say this as someone who's goal is to be sub 5 someday and spends lots of time working towards it. It's outsized & plain silly, and should be re-evaluated, asap.

>

> Why do you get to judge what another human being finds valuable and worth their time? Are you paying his bills?

I don't judge and don't really care but since this is an opinion based forum, I'll give mine. One has the FU resources to quit work at the height of earning power ought to close THAT deal and accrue the leverage to retire permanently. Sober reality is window of earning years is much smaller than most like to think it is. You throw in economic and political shocks, it is even more precarious. More than certain OP will be no where near scratch in a year anyway, and if he does happen to do it, big whoop. So vive le difference but egging this on with encouragement is not being a bud or supportive it's enabling at best.

> @HitEmTrue said:

> > @grantc79 said:

> >

> >

> > I was literally hooking putts, I'm always closed on the face never open. Now I'm generally still a bit closed but its more square to slightly closed as opposed to 1 degree closed or more.

> >

> > This type of stuff is what had me missing a ton of putts inside 5 feet.

>

> How can you hook a putt that is less than 5-foot?

>

> One degree difference between face-and-path, on a putt with such a low speed, will impart enough side spin on the ball for it to curve?

>

Just like a golf swing I'd imagine.

According to the blast motion sensor (which might be slightly off) the pros over or under rotate the face at impact about .1 degrees. So on any given putt they will leave the face .1 degrees open or closed or square. Lets assume they all have a perfect putter path or damn near to it. Effectively this means they hit their line perfectly damn near every time. All they gotta do is read it right.

So if you shut the face down as much as 1.3 degrees like I was now all the sudden you are pulling all your putts left. My path isn't perfect like theirs so sometimes I may putt a little outside in so now that ball is even going further left.

So if I have a 3 foot putt and I think is left center and I putt a little outside in and shut the face now I'm starting it at the left edge or worse. If I hit it a touch too hard, I go straight through the break and miss it and don't even sniff the hole.

The further back the worse it gets. From 5 feet I'm waaaay off.

When you have great control over speed, face angle, and path all the sudden that hole gets pretty big and you have a margin for error.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

> @Nard_S said:

> > @Rohlio said:

> > > @Nard_S said:

> > > I find the whole endeavor frivolous. A dedicated year to close the deal on an amateur invite to the US Open, yeah, maybe okay. A year of life to get to scratch? No way, no matter how in order the rest of your reality is. I say this as someone who's goal is to be sub 5 someday and spends lots of time working towards it. It's outsized & plain silly, and should be re-evaluated, asap.

> >

> > Why do you get to judge what another human being finds valuable and worth their time? Are you paying his bills?

>

> I don't judge and don't really care but since this is an opinion based forum, I'll give mine. One has the FU resources to quit work at the height of earning power ought to close THAT deal and accrue the leverage to retire permanently. Sober reality is window of earning years is much smaller than most like to think it is. You throw in economic and political shocks, it is even more precarious. More than certain OP will be no where near scratch in a year anyway, and if he does happen to do it, big whoop. So vive le difference but egging this on with encouragement is not being a bud or supportive it's enabling at best.

Its all what makes you happy realistically.

I created a rather unique company that is a "disruptive" type company in my area. I'm bringing on more and more people because I don't wanna work 80+ hours a week. I could have probably doubled my income last year if I wouldn't have brought on more people but it doesn't make sense for me personally.

The reason is I would have lost a lot of business that I wouldn't have had time for and provided bad service because I couldn't keep up.

Also I coach 3 little league teams for my kids, I do basketball camps for my son, we go swimming, daily bike rides, etc. The american dream for me is not to own a yacht its to be very present for my kids and create a company that allows me to work my ass off at golf for a year and not have to cut back financially for my family.

The only reason I'm able to do this is I have added to my core team at work and they are carrying the torch and growing it without as much direct involvement from me. Also, with great disposable income I can hire people to do certain things that I used to grind out doing myself.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

> @grantc79 said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > > @Rohlio said:

> > > > @Nard_S said:

> > > > I find the whole endeavor frivolous. A dedicated year to close the deal on an amateur invite to the US Open, yeah, maybe okay. A year of life to get to scratch? No way, no matter how in order the rest of your reality is. I say this as someone who's goal is to be sub 5 someday and spends lots of time working towards it. It's outsized & plain silly, and should be re-evaluated, asap.

> > >

> > > Why do you get to judge what another human being finds valuable and worth their time? Are you paying his bills?

> >

> > I don't judge and don't really care but since this is an opinion based forum, I'll give mine. One has the FU resources to quit work at the height of earning power ought to close THAT deal and accrue the leverage to retire permanently. Sober reality is window of earning years is much smaller than most like to think it is. You throw in economic and political shocks, it is even more precarious. More than certain OP will be no where near scratch in a year anyway, and if he does happen to do it, big whoop. So vive le difference but egging this on with encouragement is not being a bud or supportive it's enabling at best.

>

> Its all what makes you happy realistically.

>

> I created a rather unique company that is a "disruptive" type company in my area. I'm bringing on more and more people because I don't wanna work 80+ hours a week. I could have probably doubled my income last year if I wouldn't have brought on more people but it doesn't make sense for me personally.

>

> The reason is I would have lost a lot of business that I wouldn't have had time for and provided bad service because I couldn't keep up.

>

> Also I coach 3 little league teams for my kids, I do basketball camps for my son, we go swimming, daily bike rides, etc. The american dream for me is not to own a yacht its to be very present for my kids and create a company that allows me to work my **** off at golf for a year and not have to cut back financially for my family.

>

> The only reason I'm able to do this is I have added to my core team at work and they are carrying the torch and growing it without as much direct involvement from me. Also, with great disposable income I can hire people to do certain things that I used to grind out doing myself.

Good for you my friend, have at it, but it does not change my beliefs on this, i'm 56, the world looks a lot different than to me than even at 46. Good luck.

• Like 1

> @Nard_S said:

> > @Rohlio said:

> > > @Nard_S said:

> >

>

> I don't judge and don't really care but since this is an opinion based forum, I'll give mine. One has the FU resources to quit work at the height of earning power ought to close THAT deal and accrue the leverage to retire permanently. Sober reality is window of earning years is much smaller than most like to think it is. You throw in economic and political shocks, it is even more precarious. More than certain OP will be no where near scratch in a year anyway, and if he does happen to do it, big whoop. So vive le difference but egging this on with encouragement is not being a bud or supportive it's enabling at best.

It’s not really that simple.. you can improve at golf a lot easier at a younger age than you can as you get older. So I’m not against op’s aims here.

Having said that, I’ll ask again.. have you actually been playing/practising 30 hours a week? Reading between the lines I’m guessing No.. 100 putts a day is not much..

> @Nard_S said:

> > @grantc79 said:

> > > @Nard_S said:

> > > > @Rohlio said:

> > > > > @Nard_S said:

> > > > > I find the whole endeavor frivolous. A dedicated year to close the deal on an amateur invite to the US Open, yeah, maybe okay. A year of life to get to scratch? No way, no matter how in order the rest of your reality is. I say this as someone who's goal is to be sub 5 someday and spends lots of time working towards it. It's outsized & plain silly, and should be re-evaluated, asap.

> > > >

> > > > Why do you get to judge what another human being finds valuable and worth their time? Are you paying his bills?

> > >

> > > I don't judge and don't really care but since this is an opinion based forum, I'll give mine. One has the FU resources to quit work at the height of earning power ought to close THAT deal and accrue the leverage to retire permanently. Sober reality is window of earning years is much smaller than most like to think it is. You throw in economic and political shocks, it is even more precarious. More than certain OP will be no where near scratch in a year anyway, and if he does happen to do it, big whoop. So vive le difference but egging this on with encouragement is not being a bud or supportive it's enabling at best.

> >

> > Its all what makes you happy realistically.

> >

> > I created a rather unique company that is a "disruptive" type company in my area. I'm bringing on more and more people because I don't wanna work 80+ hours a week. I could have probably doubled my income last year if I wouldn't have brought on more people but it doesn't make sense for me personally.

> >

> > The reason is I would have lost a lot of business that I wouldn't have had time for and provided bad service because I couldn't keep up.

> >

> > Also I coach 3 little league teams for my kids, I do basketball camps for my son, we go swimming, daily bike rides, etc. The american dream for me is not to own a yacht its to be very present for my kids and create a company that allows me to work my **** off at golf for a year and not have to cut back financially for my family.

> >

> > The only reason I'm able to do this is I have added to my core team at work and they are carrying the torch and growing it without as much direct involvement from me. Also, with great disposable income I can hire people to do certain things that I used to grind out doing myself.

>

> Good for you my friend, have at it, but it does not change my beliefs on this, i'm 56, the world looks a lot different than to me than even at 46. Good luck.

It sounds like he’s still making money AND his business is growing. If it’s possible, why not take a year to enjoy family and recreation while children are still at home AND business is still working and growing? Isn’t that the dream, to have freedom AND have a business that makes money without requiring excessive personal involvement?

Also, not to be creepy, but the YouTube swing link led to a video Grant posted related to his profession. You don’t need to be a young person to excel at what he does.

Also, how did I become the person defending Grant? Is this the twilight zone?

• Like 3

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

> @grantc79 said:

> > @HitEmTrue said:

> > > @grantc79 said:

> > >

> > >

> > > I was literally hooking putts, I'm always closed on the face never open. Now I'm generally still a bit closed but its more square to slightly closed as opposed to 1 degree closed or more.

> > >

> > > This type of stuff is what had me missing a ton of putts inside 5 feet.

> >

> > How can you hook a putt that is less than 5-foot?

> >

> > One degree difference between face-and-path, on a putt with such a low speed, will impart enough side spin on the ball for it to curve?

> >

>

> Just like a golf swing I'd imagine.

>

> According to the blast motion sensor (which might be slightly off) the pros over or under rotate the face at impact about .1 degrees. So on any given putt they will leave the face .1 degrees open or closed or square. Lets assume they all have a perfect putter path or **** near to it. Effectively this means they hit their line perfectly **** near every time. All they gotta do is read it right.

>

> So if you shut the face down as much as 1.3 degrees like I was now all the sudden you are pulling all your putts left. My path isn't perfect like theirs so sometimes I may putt a little outside in so now that ball is even going further left.

>

> So if I have a 3 foot putt and I think is left center and I putt a little outside in and shut the face now I'm starting it at the left edge or worse. If I hit it a touch too hard, I go straight through the break and miss it and don't even sniff the hole.

>

> The further back the worse it gets. From 5 feet I'm waaaay off.

>

> When you have great control over speed, face angle, and path all the sudden that hole gets pretty big and you have a margin for error.

>

>

Ah.... You said that you were "literally hooking putts." You were hitting pulls, not hooks.

• Like 1

> @Krt22 said:

> The good ol hook putt, sometimes I hit a hook putt to hold up against a right to left slope so it actually just goes straight

I play the hook with the putter because I attack the ball from the inside and flip to square the face. You get used to it after a while.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @ebrasmus21 said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > The good ol hook putt, sometimes I hit a hook putt to hold up against a right to left slope so it actually just goes straight

>

> I play the hook with the putter because I attack the ball from the inside and flip to square the face. You get used to it after a while.

It really helps if you compress the ball with the putter, so it's on the club face longer.

• Like 1

> @HitEmTrue said:

> > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > > @Krt22 said:

> > > The good ol hook putt, sometimes I hit a hook putt to hold up against a right to left slope so it actually just goes straight

> >

> > I play the hook with the putter because I attack the ball from the inside and flip to square the face. You get used to it after a while.

>

> It really helps if you compress the ball with the putter, so it's on the club face longer.

>

Guys I play with have told me a play the trap-draw with the flat stick. My smash factor is at max efficiency

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

No love here for an open face putter flop? You just throw it right in the hole. You don’t have to read any break that way.

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

> @ebrasmus21 said:

> > @HitEmTrue said:

> > > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > The good ol hook putt, sometimes I hit a hook putt to hold up against a right to left slope so it actually just goes straight

> > >

> > > I play the hook with the putter because I attack the ball from the inside and flip to square the face. You get used to it after a while.

> >

> > It really helps if you compress the ball with the putter, so it's on the club face longer.

> >

>

> Guys I play with have told me a play the trap-draw with the flat stick. My smash factor is at max efficiency

That is my stock shot for long putts, but sometimes will hit a slice putt to take a little off for those slippery down hill knee knockers

> @DLev45 said:

> No love here for an open face putter flop? You just throw it right in the hole. You don’t have to read any break that way.

Anymore, don’t have the nerve for that shot.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @milesgiles said:

>

> It’s not really that simple.. you can improve at golf a lot easier at a younger age than you can as you get older. So I’m not against op’s aims here.

>

> Having said that, I’ll ask again.. have you actually been playing/practising 30 hours a week? Reading between the lines I’m guessing No.. 100 putts a day is not much..

>

I averaged for last 3 years 4-5 solid hours a week of practice year round and I live outside NYC. Been doing 200-300 balls a week at the range, devote time to short game etc. I own a business, have 2 through college with no debt, have another with dreams of college ball, so I do what I can to improve game so that day when I'm free, I can be sub 5 on a bad day. I saw OP's swing, one year will not get it done, especially with his conception of what needs to happen. I've been around solid scratch guys enough, played to 6-7 with a swing more hideous to understand what he's up against. 18 is young, 40 is not. It won't be some monumental achievement if I ever do get scratch, it won't be for him either, just saying.

> @PowderedToastMan said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > > @grantc79 said:

> > > > @Nard_S said:

> > > > > @Rohlio said:

> > > > > > @Nard_S said:

> > > > > > I find the whole endeavor frivolous. A dedicated year to close the deal on an amateur invite to the US Open, yeah, maybe okay. A year of life to get to scratch? No way, no matter how in order the rest of your reality is. I say this as someone who's goal is to be sub 5 someday and spends lots of time working towards it. It's outsized & plain silly, and should be re-evaluated, asap.

> > > > >

> > > > > Why do you get to judge what another human being finds valuable and worth their time? Are you paying his bills?

> > > >

> > > > I don't judge and don't really care but since this is an opinion based forum, I'll give mine. One has the FU resources to quit work at the height of earning power ought to close THAT deal and accrue the leverage to retire permanently. Sober reality is window of earning years is much smaller than most like to think it is. You throw in economic and political shocks, it is even more precarious. More than certain OP will be no where near scratch in a year anyway, and if he does happen to do it, big whoop. So vive le difference but egging this on with encouragement is not being a bud or supportive it's enabling at best.

> > >

> > > Its all what makes you happy realistically.

> > >

> > > I created a rather unique company that is a "disruptive" type company in my area. I'm bringing on more and more people because I don't wanna work 80+ hours a week. I could have probably doubled my income last year if I wouldn't have brought on more people but it doesn't make sense for me personally.

> > >

> > > The reason is I would have lost a lot of business that I wouldn't have had time for and provided bad service because I couldn't keep up.

> > >

> > > Also I coach 3 little league teams for my kids, I do basketball camps for my son, we go swimming, daily bike rides, etc. The american dream for me is not to own a yacht its to be very present for my kids and create a company that allows me to work my **** off at golf for a year and not have to cut back financially for my family.

> > >

> > > The only reason I'm able to do this is I have added to my core team at work and they are carrying the torch and growing it without as much direct involvement from me. Also, with great disposable income I can hire people to do certain things that I used to grind out doing myself.

> >

> > Good for you my friend, have at it, but it does not change my beliefs on this, i'm 56, the world looks a lot different than to me than even at 46. Good luck.

> It sounds like he’s still making money AND his business is growing. If it’s possible, why not take a year to enjoy family and recreation while children are still at home AND business is still working and growing? Isn’t that the dream, to have freedom AND have a business that makes money without requiring excessive personal involvement?

>

> Also, not to be creepy, but the YouTube swing link led to a video Grant posted related to his profession. You don’t need to be a young person to excel at what he does.

>

> Also, how did I become the person defending Grant? Is this the twilight zone?

>

>

I've owned a business for 14 years, survived 2008, have had only 3 down years. Can honestly say you have things going great, you double down and do not take it for granted. You build the moat bigger and not the castle. A year in a growing business is like a year in a toddler's life. It's that precious. But hey, there's the scratch dreams, lol.