2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

So the Port Authority's Harborside course gets shut down, but the three Forest Preserve courses within the city limits are allowed to stay open. Who at the Port Authority p-ssed off the mayor's office?

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Played Poplar Creek today and it seems like they were just shut down the whole month of March. Course was not in bad shape but it looked like they did not do much during that time. Pace was great and didn't see one cart the whole time out there. Could use a good range session, but that isn't going to happen for a while. Hopefully get out for another round early next week.

Bah. It's not often that I cancel a tee time when the sun is out, but with winds coming off the lake at 20 mph, and gusts up to 30 mph, I'm going to take a pass on Glencoe this morning. The RealFeel temp of 28 degrees doesn't sound particularly pleasant.

I'm booked at Glenwoodie tomorrow morning, but with overnight temps below freezing, and winds at 15 mph, it may fall by the wayside as well.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I refuse to ride right now because I don't want to be that fat guy in the cart! I've been enjoying the walk, I wish I could still carry but I'm getting used to the push cart. I played another round at Village Greens yesterday, nothing new to speak of. Game is coming around a bit, still don't feel comfortable over the ball but getting there. The course is nothing great, but I'm glad I bought the $200 membership, it's been nice to be able just go play whenever and not have to pay and not have to worry about how many holes we got in.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Agreed, I played it Wednesday and was surprised at the conditions. The course is usually pristine and the greens are slick and perfect. For some reason, the greens were shaggy and bumpy and the rough was, well, rough. Fairways were soft and lush though. I guess we probably should not assume that all courses used the month off to maintain the courses in great condition. With no money coming in, I cannot blame them.

'Just doesn't make any sense.

So glad I got out of that madhouse state.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

... The new WRX ignore feature is not the best, but putting him in the shade is better than nothing.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

Hey all. I am back from an extended hiatus from WRX... the new forum layout coupled with a couple BST posts being taken down kind of soured me to the site. And a few personal issues led to me reassessing my priorities in life like how much time I was spending on the internet... But that's all ancient history now.

I woke up this morning thinking about these threads and how much fun it is to discuss all the public courses in the area. That and I'm playing Tanna Farms for the first time tomorrow and rememebered there was much discussion here on what a weird course it is. So I have spent a good part of the day skimming this entire thread, getting some good ideas of places to play this year, and keeping an eye out for course condition reports from last fall to see where to avoid this season possibly.

Interesting to see how the old normal seems so far in the past with COVID changing the world in 2020. Glad to see the usual suspects are still all doing well.

Anyway, I can report that Old Oak is in good shape tee to green but still waiting on aeration to heal. Still managed to snake in a couple putts in the 15-20 foot range. Hilly layout for the area, so glad I have the day off today to recover for what I hear is an obnoxious walk at Tanna tomorrow. Tips appreciated :D

Cobra KING LTD Pro 8.5º - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S
Tour Edge Exotics CB5 15º - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8S
*Titleist 816H2 21º (C1) - Graphite Design AD DI 105S (Double Eagle/Albatross 7/15/17)

OR - *Titleist 712U 3i - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist 712U 4i - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08, SM6 50.12F, SM6 56.14F bent to 55 True Temper DG S200
Titleist Vokey Wedgeworks V-Grind 60.10 True Temper DG S200
Scotty Cameron Bullseye Blade By Titleist

Tanna takes a lot of hate, but the year my wife and I met and started playing together we played there all the time (it was convenient and cheap). So it is kind of a sentimental place for me. It has been years since I've been back. I think it is fun golf, just don't go in expecting Pinehurst 2 and know it is an odd place and layout. I would think it would be in decent shape since courses just reopened, but I have no idea.

Cinder Ridge tomorrow. The person in the pro shop who I spoke to was adamant that they wouldn’t be letting carts out. Whether or not they actually stick to that remains to be seen.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

After a 75 minute frost delay, Bear and I were the first ones out at Cinder Ridge today. The course is in decent shape. The greens are slow but that’s usually the case. The rough and tee boxes were recently cut and they put fresh sand in the bunkers. It was about 35 degrees when we teed off with a stiff breeze right in our face on the first two holes but it got progressively warmer as the round went on and there’s no better way to loosen up than to walk. Bad day ball striking. I strained my calf running on Friday and probably should have used today as a recovery day. I scrambled to save par a bunch of times and eked out a 77, but it felt much worse than that.

Also, as I expected, there was a line of carts on the first tee as we were finishing up but no one was parked in the handicap spots. I’d say 80% of the people on the course were also in carts. Hmm. So much for the “walking only” mandate. I’m over it but it’s hilarious how slow people still play in spite of having their own carts.

Piretti Cottonwood II

It turned out to be a much nicer day that I expected. Glenwoodie today, a course I haven't played in close to six years. I received an early morning email stating that there would be a 90 minute frost delay, but with the possibility of some no-shows, I got to the course a few minutes before my regular tee time. I wound up teeing off only 35 minutes late, which was more than acceptable. I think it was a combination of no-shows and the starter packing the twosomes at less than 15 minute intervals.

Did I say twosomes? Lol. I saw several threesomes and foursomes out on the course. Oh, and plenty of carts. I was chatting with the starter after I made the turn, and he said that on a busy summer day they'll have 200 players throughout the day, and maybe two or three handicap flags handed out. This past Thursday he said he set out 40 carts. Wow, this virus is really taking its toll on the physical wellness of the players in the area. I didn't know it affected one's ability to walk. FFS.

The course was in very nice shape. Fairways were a bit spongy, but no real wet spots. Rough was thick. Bunkers looked very good, other than the left greenside bunker on 18 that had a large lake in it. A bit strange given the condition of the other bunkers. Greens looked like they had been aerated two to three weeks ago. The holes were still visible, but didn't really affect the roll. Speed was impressive at a good 10 to 11.

At this point, I’ve just come to grips with the fact that courses are mostly ignoring the “walking only” policy that Illinois tried to enact. Courses won’t turn down the extra revenue (especially after no business in April) and people are inherently lazy. For me, the silver lining is that no course can get away with a carts only policy on weekends.

• Like 1

Piretti Cottonwood II

chilly morning at Sunset Valley - play began after a two hour delay.

played decent. hit half the fairways and most of the par threes.

getting used to the routing and placement of things.

when the landscaping and rough comes in the course is going to look pretty nice.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Anyone want to join me at Ravisloe Tuesday morning 10:15? My friends are all unable to make it.

Tanna Farms was about as expected, far away, super long walk and weird AF, but I actually played well. "Made" a bunch of putts with the holes raised. Greens were pretty nice and I found most of them easy enough to read. Not sure why they can't get with the insert system other courses are using to let the ball actually go in the hole. They also didn't have tee markers out, which is odd. Golfers aren't known to rub them for good luck before teeing off or anything, lol. The guy in the pro shop told us we could make a foursome holes 2-17 as long as we split back into twosomes coming in... We all golfed with each other last weekend so we were cool with it. He told us the twosome behind us would be taking their time, and we even checked with them. They were cool, drinking beers and playing slow. Didn't hold them up. Course had some play but not packed by any means. Nice day. Won't be going back until things get back to normal with carts, and even then it's a maybe, mainly because its far but also because it's weird. Had to experience it once tho thanks to you guys!

Edit: we did walk and everyone else I saw playing was walking too. they seemed strict on the no carts unless you really need one policy.

*Titleist 816H2 21º (C1) - Graphite Design AD DI 105S (Double Eagle/Albatross 7/15/17)

Yeah, I'd love to join you. Did you make a tee time for two, or do you need me to call the course and book the 2nd slot?

I sent you a PM

Played St. Andrews Lakeside Saturday, and despite playing it many times before it was a different course to me. I usually know that course as soft and fairly slow, but it was playing firm and fast. I couldn't get chips to check, full swings wouldn't stop, didn't fix a ball mark all day. I don't know if it was the wind or what but it played so different, being above the hole on putts proved a struggle for a while, especially with no practice greens to warm up on. I liked it and wouldn't mind seeing that more often though.

• Like 1

A beautiful day at Fresh Meadow. Lol. 'Just kidding. I wasn't going to sit around doing nothing today, and I figured there was no point in paying good money to play in cold and windy conditions. FM was just about right. Fairways were shaggy to say the least. Once again I was sucking wind pushing my cart through the fairway grass that would be rough on many courses. The rough was absolutely brutal. If you weren't standing over your ball you simply could not see it. If you missed a fairway there was little chance on getting enough club on the ball to reach the green. Bunkers are trash. That never changes. The greens were in nice shape, though. Probably rolling at 9. With the conditions the course played awfully long. Pace was very good at 2:45.

Can't say I have much game at this point. The driver is a two way miss. Irons are going every which way. Can't put spin on a wedge. At least the putter is cooperating. After playing great golf over the winter in Arizona, the two month layoff was costly.

What's with all the d-mn courses only allowing twosomes to book? With no carts who cares if two singles book a round separately. FFS.

• Like 1