Where are all the 2 woods?

Myherobobhope

I've toyed with putting an older Fly-Z + driver in a shaft I have for a Biocell + 3 wood at 43 inches. Looking for maximum forgiveness and accuracy. I used to hit the Fly-Z + pretty long, but I had the weight set forward also and had it lofted down, tried it with the loft way up, seemed to go straighter, but I haven't tried it with the weight back. Biggest problem was swing weight, it just seemed too light....

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 wood, Tensei AV Blue limited  75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

lead tape wants to be your friend

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

> @BearQ said:

> Strong 3-woods are so long and forgiving now if you can't swing that- a 2-wood won't save ya.

Actually read my original post. I'm fine with driver. A good 2 wood would help me on around 6 holes where driver gets me in trouble because a well struck ball with the wrong type of spin goes bye bye.

I'll probably end up with a TM Original One as I'm hoping to get fitted this season... There aren't many 2 wood options on the market.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

> @grm24 said:

> > @ChipNRun said:

> > The KickX brand makes a range of iron sets, woods and hybrids, **along with the botique KickX Tour-Z golf balls, which are popular with several small-college golf teams.**

> >

> What college golf teams are those? Especially since the Kick-X golf balls are not on the USGA conforming ball list. Did you simply post old misleading ad copy from Kick-X or are those your "actual" words? ...

>

These are my words, paraphrasing info from encounters I had with the Kick X company at the 2016 PGA Merchandise Show in Orlando, FL. I had been given a dozen balls by associates who knew the Kick X crowd, and I bought two dozen more myself. KickX was running short on site because, they said, some college golf teams had bought blocs of balls for the upcoming golf season. (My notes don't say which schools they were). Yes, I am aware of the ensuing marketing irregularities involving KickX balls.

In Spring and Summer of 2016, I used KickX golf balls in the local St. Louis MAGA golf events - they were new on the list at the time. I don't know if items can be removed from the approved ball list due to marketing irregularities or not. **I'll contact USGA and ask what happened.** Marketing scams aside, they were good - though somewhat pricey - balls.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Playing devils advocate here - I think you'll find the 2 wood is only for the person who doesn't hit driver a lot, and doesn't have an extended short half of the bag. It's a very in between club - you'll rarely be in the position where driver is just too long and fairway is just too short, I think people would rather be one way or the other rather than in between.

As for the driver, the OP hit the nail on the head in that it's more beneficial to take a short swing with driver than a full swing with a slightly shorter club. You aren't going to carry driver and 2 wood, so why bother taking the longest club out.

A 3 Wood or Hybrid may not necssarily be straighter than a Driver, but as they don't travel so far you are less likely to run out into trouble as you are with the big dog. I usually play old fashioned tree lined courses, I only usually get the Driver out 3 - 4 times per round. For the rest I have a 15 degree 917 F3, which is a fairly consistent 240 - 260 yards with a touch of draw. I can spray it just as well as my Driver (I can spray a Sand Wedge if required lol) but it tends to drop before the OOB, whereas my Driver would need a reload.

Worth checking out the 917 F3 actually. Even 3 months after buying it I am still bemused as to how Titleist got a 3 wood to fly so far.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

I almost forgot about this one, I had a Nike Sumo 2 with an Aldila blue proto shaft, straightest driver I ever owned, but not that long. Shallow face, I could hit it off the deck pretty easily for a big headed driver, (not as easy as a 15 degree 3 wood, but still). I could see getting a higher lofted one and playing it at 43 inches as a 2 wood. Mine I think was 9.5 degrees, but I think they even made a 13 degree version......

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 wood, Tensei AV Blue limited  75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

> @rt_charger said:

> Playing devils advocate here - I think you'll find the 2 wood is only for the person who doesn't hit driver a lot, and doesn't have an extended short half of the bag. It's a very in between club - you'll rarely be in the position where driver is just too long and fairway is just too short, I think people would rather be one way or the other rather than in between.

>

> As for the driver, the OP hit the nail on the head in that it's more beneficial to take a short swing with driver than a full swing with a slightly shorter club. You aren't going to carry driver and 2 wood, so why bother taking the longest club out.

Well, my comment originated from playing with a ton of guys who didn't hit driver as often as I did... They were using a 3 wood and could have used the extra distance off the tee box. Or they could learn to hit driver, I guess!

For me, my home course has about 6 holes where driver gets me into trouble, but I don't have confidence in my three wood to hit it off the tee... I think I'm going to end up building a 43 inch 14 degree driver and drop my 3 wood. I need something to go 260 yards and not roll out.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Wishon 919 f/d 14* wood os 260cc

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

> @bodhi555 said:

> A 3 Wood or Hybrid may not necssarily be straighter than a Driver, but as they don't travel so far you are less likely to run out into trouble as you are with the big dog. I usually play old fashioned tree lined courses, I only usually get the Driver out 3 - 4 times per round. For the rest I have a 15 degree 917 F3, which is a fairly consistent 240 - 260 yards with a touch of draw. I can spray it just as well as my Driver (I can spray a Sand Wedge if required lol) but it tends to drop before the OOB, whereas my Driver would need a reload.

>

> Worth checking out the 917 F3 actually. Even 3 months after buying it I am still bemused as to how Titleist got a 3 wood to fly so far.

I think the smart play on my home course is driver on at least 8 holes. Plenty of room, and really have to miss one to lose a ball. The rough is brutal, but the course is fairy long... Gaining confidence in my driver is one of the things that has significantly lowered my scoring... If I can improve my putting and approach shots, I might actually be good at golf.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

> @geochitown said:

> Wishon 919 f/d 14* wood os 260cc

Sadly, my local Wishon fitter is out of business... I drove by yesterday!

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

If you saw anybody, including yourself, hitting a club with 13 or 14 degrees of loft, they were effectively hitting what used to be labeled as a 2 wood. In the days of persimmon, driver lofts were all over the place, but generally in the 7-11* range, and a 3W was around 16*. It would have been virtually impossible for most amateurs, even good ones, to elevate a persimmon 3W with less loft than that, even with the small heads; it's hard enough now!

So one way to think of it is that in the same way that a "brassie" became better known as a 2 wood, a 2 wood is now better known as a "strong 3". Same club; just different terminology.

> @bluedot said:

> If you saw anybody, including yourself, hitting a club with 13 or 14 degrees of loft, they were effectively hitting what used to be labeled as a 2 wood. In the days of persimmon, driver lofts were all over the place, but generally in the 7-11* range, and a 3W was around 16*. It would have been virtually impossible for most amateurs, even good ones, to elevate a persimmon 3W with less loft than that, even with the small heads; it's hard enough now!

>

> So one way to think of it is that in the same way that a "brassie" became better known as a 2 wood, a 2 wood is now better known as a "strong 3". Same club; just different terminology.

Yeah, it’s just funny to me my options are between a 200cc three wood and a 460cc driver...

I will probably just get a Taylor made original one at 43 inches

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

> @Myherobobhope said:

> > @geochitown said:

> > Wishon 919 f/d 14* wood os 260cc

>

> Sadly, my local Wishon fitter is out of business... I drove by yesterday!

bummer

TM TP5x

> @cardoustie said:

> My big Q is .. if you are never going to use off the deck then is it better to have a 12 or 13 three wood or just carry a second driver at 13 or 14 degrees with a shorter shaft?

> I tried this once

Cardoustie...have you just released yourself as being Phil?

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

> @MattyO1984 said:

> > @cardoustie said:

> > My big Q is .. if you are never going to use off the deck then is it better to have a 12 or 13 three wood or just carry a second driver at 13 or 14 degrees with a shorter shaft?

> > I tried this once

>

> Cardoustie...have you just released yourself as being Phil?

Nope

It was a short experiment for me, I like having a strong 3w I can chase onto par 5's from a long way out, if no trouble exists in front

G400 just bumped the 3 deep back out, soooooooooooo good off the deck, event in the minus settings. NVS75x shaft due here this aft to go in it

• Like 2

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

> @cardoustie said:

> > @MattyO1984 said:

> > > @cardoustie said:

> > > My big Q is .. if you are never going to use off the deck then is it better to have a 12 or 13 three wood or just carry a second driver at 13 or 14 degrees with a shorter shaft?

> > > I tried this once

> >

> > Cardoustie...have you just released yourself as being Phil?

> Nope

> It was a short experiment for me, I like having a strong 3w I can chase onto par 5's from a long way out, if no trouble exists in front

Yeah, I'm having a similar thought process. At my home course (where I play 99% of my rounds) I use my three wood on very few occasions from the deck... and it's always chasing a par 5 in two. A bad drive could put me into a position where I'd need it on a long par 4, but that hasn't happened all that much.

That said, I'd still like to be able to hit the club off the deck, but want the forgiveness of a bigger club head. I'm thinking the Taylor Made Original One might be the ticket, but I have yet to hit it.

The other side of the coin is if I build a shorter driver designed to find fairways, it might just flat out replace my driver... 260 and straight would be pretty tempting most days. I haven't fully fleshed out the idea for my bag quite yet. I might go with a Wishon 2 wood. We shall see.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Ping Rapture 13* lofted to 12.5*. Awesome sound/feel and can be hit from the deck as well as the tee. Do it.

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

> @Brass_Bullseye said:

> It took me 38 years to finally get fitted for a driver. Until now I thought fitting was unnecessary and too expensive. I was wrong. Get a thorough fitting and you don’t need a 2w. Driver technology is so good now you can dial in all the accuracy you need.

I'm getting fitted for sure... I'm not struggling with accuracy, I'm struggling with out kicking my coverage. There are 6 holes on my home course where anything over 280 and straight will get me into trouble. I occasionally hit the ball both 280 and straight.

A 2 wood that I could hit 260 with no roll would be a wonderful addition to my bag. Something I'm confident with on the tee and the fairway, ideally.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

> @Mike_C said:

> I've toyed with putting an older Fly-Z + driver in a shaft I have for a Biocell + 3 wood at 43 inches. Looking for maximum forgiveness and accuracy. I used to hit the Fly-Z + pretty long, but I had the weight set forward also and had it lofted down, tried it with the loft way up, seemed to go straighter, but I haven't tried it with the weight back. Biggest problem was swing weight, it just seemed too light....

You can order the Fly-Z weights pretty cheap on Ebay up to 17g.

Alternatively, if you remove the stock weight, it has a foam washer filling a void on the inside. If you find the right size washer, it should add about another 5-6g to the weight and get you up to about 11g total for the cost of a washer. I had to drill the internal diameter out a little to make it work while I was waiting for the slow boat to arrive from China with the 12g eBay version I ordered, but I can't tell a difference between the two in use. For a Fly-Z+, you could also put weights in both spots if you wanted to add head weight and distribute it a little more.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

> @JAMH03 said:

> > @Myherobobhope said:

> > Yeah, it would be helpful for me, I just found it interesting how little people hit driver on the course over the course of the tournament... and, honestly, they didn't hit the hybrids or 3 woods much straighter...

>

> What were their ultimate scores like?

Not great, bob.

It was an interesting few rounds and I played awful... ironically one of the things I walked away with was confidence in my decision to hit driver.

The two wood idea is built off my inability to get it done off the tee. Partially me hitting it well and gong through fairways.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

> @Myherobobhope said:

> > @JAMH03 said:

> > > @Myherobobhope said:

> > > Yeah, it would be helpful for me, I just found it interesting how little people hit driver on the course over the course of the tournament... and, honestly, they didn't hit the hybrids or 3 woods much straighter...

> >

> > What were their ultimate scores like?

>

> Not great, bob.

>

> It was an interesting few rounds and I played awful... ironically one of the things I walked away with was confidence in my decision to hit driver.

>

> The two wood idea is built off my inability to get it done off the tee. Partially me hitting it well and gong through fairways.

Have you looked at the Scott Fawcett stuff? I bet you'd like it.