2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2020 Iron Battle ! - T200 vs. MMC MP20 vs New 790 vs. PXG 0311P

gmacgolfer78

> @herbert7890 said:

> C'mon guys, we need more T-200 vs New P-790s posts. I already pre-ordered the T-200s (hope they come tomorrow to the store) but need to try the new P-790s just in case i need to change to them.

I would go P790 if I was buying new irons. T200 didnt look that great to me behind the ball. P790 has a little bit longer blade length and my misses were substantially better with the 790's than the T200's

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @gmacgolfer78 said:

> may even consider i210 from Ping as well!

>

Probably a better choice. I have hit the Mizuno, 790s and don't care much for the PXGs. The Pings were way better, and that's coming from me who plays blades.

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.

I've never really been a big ping fan idk why just haven't. Never really tried their stuff but I would also recommend trying the i210. I've been struggling with my irons this summer. Was fit for ap3 back in the spring. I've been struggling with big hooks and low spin issues like fliers and not holding greens. And my iron game has fallen apart this summer trying to combat the hooks (not a typical miss for me). Long story short I think a lot of it was a bad fit.

So I went and did a fit this weekend. I went in completely open minded explained what I was combating. Tried not to look at what head and shaft combos I was hitting. Best combo for me was the i210 with a nippon modus.

The ap3 was a quite a drastic difference in fit from the year previous. 3 degrees upright from last years clubs, a half inch shorter and a much lighter shaft. I thought maybe my swing changed but the new fit today is almost identical the what I played last year.

The i210 looks good behind the ball feels good and just seemed to work. I was very impressed when I found out it was a ping.

I don’t know how forgiving the MP18 MMC set is overall, but the MP18 MMC Fli-Hi heads are really forgiving, but also have a compact look. I like them a lot more than the P790. The Fli-Hi is available 2 through 6 iron and is a design a lot of golfers would like if they tried it. Easier to hit for me compared to bulky utility irons.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

> @garym2001 said:

> Got my T200s yesterday with AMT Tour X100. Full club longer than my 718 AP2s. They feel great but go very high. Gotta work on getting the flight down a bit.

Are you comparing iron to iron ie 7i to 7i? If so, not the right comparo as t200 are jacked up lofts so ap2 7i = t200 8i?

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel
FW : Ping G425 14.5*/17.5* Arch-Kams WL/WH-01

UTs : Ping G425 19* Arch-Kams UTR - Callaway Paradym 20* Arch-Kams UTH
Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Wedges : Artisan - Grind Studio- JP Premier
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon

• 2 weeks later...

If you’re going to add ping to this mix I’d use i500 not i210. The lofts and construction are much more similar to p790 mp20 hmb pxg and t200.

• Mizuno STZ 220 Driver
  • Mizuno STX 220 3w
  • Mizuno STX 220 Hybrid
  • Mizuno Pro 225/223 Irons 
  • Mizuno T22 Copper Wedges
  • Mizuno/Timeless Putters
  • Titleist Pro V1 Ball

• 1 month later...

The mistake here was not trying the MP20 MMC’s.

Forged cavity back, more forgiving than you would expect, more so than the MP18 model, and as good looking as any iron on the market.

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

Don’t forget about the 919 HMP. Smaller head, less offset, as forgiving as anything mentioned I think.

Callaway Rougue ST LS Triple Diamond Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Hazard Smoke
New Level 902 PD 5-A Project X Catalyst 6.5 SS2

New Level SPN Milled 53 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 58 DG GRIND
SWAG Savage AF Raw LA Golf SOHO

> @gmacgolfer78 said:

> > @texcrom said:

> > The mistake here was not trying the MP20 MMC’s.

> >

> > Forged cavity back, more forgiving than you would expect, more so than the MP18 model, and as good looking as any iron on the market.

>

> how is the HMB 3 iron?

>

Don’t know yet. It came in Friday and we got rained out Saturday. It will be next weekend before I find out. I special ordered it with the $-taper to match the irons. Kept my U500 just in case.

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

... If you are a player that can benefit from a little more distance with your irons, I don't think there is a better choice then P790's. I am 66 and have a 100mph driver swing speed so a few extra yds with my irons, especially long irons is a nice addition for me. All things considered, including look at address, head size, accuracy, feel and especially forgiveness in a players iron they are hard to beat. They launch very high with low spin and depend on angle of descent to hold greens. Instead of hitting bouncing forward the spinning back several feet, I have found they hit, bounce forward and either spin back a few inches or just stop after the first hop. I will add that playing in Phoenix last winter, a few courses I played regularly had very hard and fast greens and I needed more spin so I bought a set of P760's that worked well spinning more and holding the hard/fast greens.

... But it was not all courses in Phoenix and back home in Chicago with usually soft conditions, they work exceptionally well. I am not sure I have played a better wind iron as knockdowns with a low spin iron are even easier to pull off. Anecdotal for sure, but I had 185 into 20mph wind with my ball in light rough and told my son I was gonna hit a knockdown that should land about 10 yds short and roll on the green to a front pin placement. It literally worked perfectly landing short, rolling on the front and in the hole. Fwiw, I have never experienced a flier off the tee or from a good lie. I will probably sell my original P790's and pick up the new P790s this winter.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

> @chisag said:

> ... If you are a player that can benefit from a little more distance with your irons, I don't think there is a better choice then P790's. I am 66 and have a 100mph driver swing speed so a few extra yds with my irons, especially long irons is a nice addition for me. All things considered, including look at address, head size, accuracy, feel and especially forgiveness in a players iron they are hard to beat. They launch very high with low spin and depend on angle of descent to hold greens. Instead of hitting bouncing forward the spinning back several feet, I have found they hit, bounce forward and either spin back a few inches or just stop after the first hop. I will add that playing in Phoenix last winter, a few courses I played regularly had very hard and fast greens and I needed more spin so I bought a set of P760's that worked well spinning more and holding the hard/fast greens.

>

> ... But it was not all courses in Phoenix and back home in Chicago with usually soft conditions, they work exceptionally well. I am not sure I have played a better wind iron as knockdowns with a low spin iron are even easier to pull off. Anecdotal for sure, but I had 185 into 20mph wind with my ball in light rough and told my son I was gonna hit a knockdown that should land about 10 yds short and roll on the green to a front pin placement. It literally worked perfectly landing short, rolling on the front and in the hole. Fwiw, I have never experienced a flier off the tee or from a good lie. I will probably sell my original P790's and pick up the new P790s this winter.

Clarity - you are using P790 regularly? How do the 8-AW perform without slot technology and from what I read no tungsten? I'm guessing with added length of 4-7i, it's not much issue, but hitting the stock 7i P790 about 180 makes me wonder about the 8i in, although will I need it??? Thx! And I can adjust the lofts if needed.

Tour AD XC 6S Callaway Smoke 3D 9deg
Kali' White 70x shaft Ping 430LST 3W

Accra TZ6 M4 Hybrid Shaft Ping 430 3H
C-Taper L:ite S T150 4-Gap
SteelFiber PR Wedge Ping Glide 4.0 46, 50, 54 and 58 degree
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Slant Neck

> @Wardman said:

> > @chisag said:

> > ... If you are a player that can benefit from a little more distance with your irons, I don't think there is a better choice then P790's. I am 66 and have a 100mph driver swing speed so a few extra yds with my irons, especially long irons is a nice addition for me. All things considered, including look at address, head size, accuracy, feel and especially forgiveness in a players iron they are hard to beat. They launch very high with low spin and depend on angle of descent to hold greens. Instead of hitting bouncing forward the spinning back several feet, I have found they hit, bounce forward and either spin back a few inches or just stop after the first hop. I will add that playing in Phoenix last winter, a few courses I played regularly had very hard and fast greens and I needed more spin so I bought a set of P760's that worked well spinning more and holding the hard/fast greens.

> >

> > ... But it was not all courses in Phoenix and back home in Chicago with usually soft conditions, they work exceptionally well. I am not sure I have played a better wind iron as knockdowns with a low spin iron are even easier to pull off. Anecdotal for sure, but I had 185 into 20mph wind with my ball in light rough and told my son I was gonna hit a knockdown that should land about 10 yds short and roll on the green to a front pin placement. It literally worked perfectly landing short, rolling on the front and in the hole. Fwiw, I have never experienced a flier off the tee or from a good lie. I will probably sell my original P790's and pick up the new P790s this winter.

>

> Clarity - you are using P790 regularly? How do the 8-AW perform without slot technology and from what I read no tungsten? I'm guessing with added length of 4-7i, it's not much issue, but hitting the stock 7i P790 about 180 makes me wonder about the 8i in, although will I need it??? Thx! And I can adjust the lofts if needed.

I have said it in a few other threads/posts and I will say it again, I am a huge fan of the ‘19 P790. I am a 7 handicap and was fit in mid August when they were launched into C Taper 130X. I believe the right shaft makes these irons. I gained one club coming from a stock set of a Titleist 718 CBs, no more. I have never hit any fliers and to be honest I do not see a huge difference between the long and short irons. I have the ability to flight my irons well and hit them different distances when necessary, but to get technical I hit the 7 iron about 195 max and the 8 iron 180 max if I really step on them. Stock shot is prob 190 or so with the 7 iron and 175-180 with the 8 iron. I was mildly against then “stronger” lofts until I hit these with the right shaft. I ended up with 4-Gap which if you just change the numbers it is really 3-P, at least that is how I see it. Long story short, love these irons.

A handful of other guys at my club have them as well, ranging from our head pro who is a +1 handicap all the way to a guy I play with regularly who is a 12. I have asked them and they have nothing but great things to say about the set.

Titleist TSR3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX Mk II 20 Degree Graphite Design AD-DI Hybrid 95X

Miura MC 502 4-P Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 52, 56, 60 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Ping PLD DS 72

Titleist Pro V1

> @iceman1118 said:

> > @Wardman said:

> > > @chisag said:

> > > ... If you are a player that can benefit from a little more distance with your irons, I don't think there is a better choice then P790's. I am 66 and have a 100mph driver swing speed so a few extra yds with my irons, especially long irons is a nice addition for me. All things considered, including look at address, head size, accuracy, feel and especially forgiveness in a players iron they are hard to beat. They launch very high with low spin and depend on angle of descent to hold greens. Instead of hitting bouncing forward the spinning back several feet, I have found they hit, bounce forward and either spin back a few inches or just stop after the first hop. I will add that playing in Phoenix last winter, a few courses I played regularly had very hard and fast greens and I needed more spin so I bought a set of P760's that worked well spinning more and holding the hard/fast greens.

> > >

> > > ... But it was not all courses in Phoenix and back home in Chicago with usually soft conditions, they work exceptionally well. I am not sure I have played a better wind iron as knockdowns with a low spin iron are even easier to pull off. Anecdotal for sure, but I had 185 into 20mph wind with my ball in light rough and told my son I was gonna hit a knockdown that should land about 10 yds short and roll on the green to a front pin placement. It literally worked perfectly landing short, rolling on the front and in the hole. Fwiw, I have never experienced a flier off the tee or from a good lie. I will probably sell my original P790's and pick up the new P790s this winter.

> >

> > Clarity - you are using P790 regularly? How do the 8-AW perform without slot technology and from what I read no tungsten? I'm guessing with added length of 4-7i, it's not much issue, but hitting the stock 7i P790 about 180 makes me wonder about the 8i in, although will I need it??? Thx! And I can adjust the lofts if needed.

>

> I have said it in a few other threads/posts and I will say it again, I am a huge fan of the ‘19 P790. I am a 7 handicap and was fit in mid August when they were launched into C Taper 130X. I believe the right shaft makes these irons. I gained one club coming from a stock set of a Titleist 718 CBs, no more. I have never hit any fliers and to be honest I do not see a huge difference between the long and short irons. I have the ability to flight my irons well and hit them different distances when necessary, but to get technical I hit the 7 iron about 195 max and the 8 iron 180 max if I really step on them. Stock shot is prob 190 or so with the 7 iron and 175-180 with the 8 iron. I was mildly against then “stronger” lofts until I hit these with the right shaft. I ended up with 4-Gap which if you just change the numbers it is really 3-P, at least that is how I see it. Long story short, love these irons.

>

> A handful of other guys at my club have them as well, ranging from our head pro who is a +1 handicap all the way to a guy I play with regularly who is a 12. I have asked them and they have nothing but great things to say about the set.

Thanks - wanting to make the correct choice and info appreciated. Especially around how the 8 is flying since I cannot get ahold of a set to try, only 7 and 6i with slots. Sounds like 8 without slot fits well for you.

I really like the looks of the T200. I was shocked at how much better it looks than AP3. I would consider demo'ing them, but the new lofts would restructure my bag quite a bit.

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

> @Klap0001 said:

> I've never really been a big ping fan idk why just haven't. Never really tried their stuff but I would also recommend trying the i210. I've been struggling with my irons this summer. Was fit for ap3 back in the spring. I've been struggling with big hooks and low spin issues like fliers and not holding greens. And my iron game has fallen apart this summer trying to combat the hooks (not a typical miss for me). Long story short I think a lot of it was a bad fit.

> So I went and did a fit this weekend. I went in completely open minded explained what I was combating. Tried not to look at what head and shaft combos I was hitting. Best combo for me was the i210 with a nippon modus.

> The ap3 was a quite a drastic difference in fit from the year previous. 3 degrees upright from last years clubs, a half inch shorter and a much lighter shaft. I thought maybe my swing changed but the new fit today is almost identical the what I played last year.

> The i210 looks good behind the ball feels good and just seemed to work. I was very impressed when I found out it was a ping.

I agree completely. I’ve never been a ping guy but I have a set of i210’s on the way.

> @Wardman said:

> > @chisag said:

> > ... If you are a player that can benefit from a little more distance with your irons, I don't think there is a better choice then P790's. I am 66 and have a 100mph driver swing speed so a few extra yds with my irons, especially long irons is a nice addition for me. All things considered, including look at address, head size, accuracy, feel and especially forgiveness in a players iron they are hard to beat. They launch very high with low spin and depend on angle of descent to hold greens. Instead of hitting bouncing forward the spinning back several feet, I have found they hit, bounce forward and either spin back a few inches or just stop after the first hop. I will add that playing in Phoenix last winter, a few courses I played regularly had very hard and fast greens and I needed more spin so I bought a set of P760's that worked well spinning more and holding the hard/fast greens.

> >

> > ... But it was not all courses in Phoenix and back home in Chicago with usually soft conditions, they work exceptionally well. I am not sure I have played a better wind iron as knockdowns with a low spin iron are even easier to pull off. Anecdotal for sure, but I had 185 into 20mph wind with my ball in light rough and told my son I was gonna hit a knockdown that should land about 10 yds short and roll on the green to a front pin placement. It literally worked perfectly landing short, rolling on the front and in the hole. Fwiw, I have never experienced a flier off the tee or from a good lie. I will probably sell my original P790's and pick up the new P790s this winter.

>

> Clarity - you are using P790 regularly? How do the 8-AW perform without slot technology and from what I read no tungsten? I'm guessing with added length of 4-7i, it's not much issue, but hitting the stock 7i P790 about 180 makes me wonder about the 8i in, although will I need it??? Thx! And I can adjust the lofts if needed.

... I have several sets I play including the P760's and Coba Forged Tours, but the P790's are my primary irons taking up about 75% of my rounds. I am not a big hitter and my 7 iron is my 170 club with the 790's. For me at least, I find the distance increases slightly with each club. Obviously loft plays into that. The pw is a hair longer than my 760's/FT's but it didn't take long to dial it in, especially since I rarely hit full pw's preferring to play 1/2 and 3/4 shots with a lower trajectory. After 2 back surgeries my miss is usually a little thin as I can stand up a hair thru impact when my back is tight so the slots in the soles are a very nice bonus in the 7-4 irons. Fwiw, I play mine 1* weak in the 5-pw and have my 4 iron at standard loft.

> @chisag said:

> > @Wardman said:

> > > @chisag said:

> > > ... If you are a player that can benefit from a little more distance with your irons, I don't think there is a better choice then P790's. I am 66 and have a 100mph driver swing speed so a few extra yds with my irons, especially long irons is a nice addition for me. All things considered, including look at address, head size, accuracy, feel and especially forgiveness in a players iron they are hard to beat. They launch very high with low spin and depend on angle of descent to hold greens. Instead of hitting bouncing forward the spinning back several feet, I have found they hit, bounce forward and either spin back a few inches or just stop after the first hop. I will add that playing in Phoenix last winter, a few courses I played regularly had very hard and fast greens and I needed more spin so I bought a set of P760's that worked well spinning more and holding the hard/fast greens.

> > >

> > > ... But it was not all courses in Phoenix and back home in Chicago with usually soft conditions, they work exceptionally well. I am not sure I have played a better wind iron as knockdowns with a low spin iron are even easier to pull off. Anecdotal for sure, but I had 185 into 20mph wind with my ball in light rough and told my son I was gonna hit a knockdown that should land about 10 yds short and roll on the green to a front pin placement. It literally worked perfectly landing short, rolling on the front and in the hole. Fwiw, I have never experienced a flier off the tee or from a good lie. I will probably sell my original P790's and pick up the new P790s this winter.

> >

> > Clarity - you are using P790 regularly? How do the 8-AW perform without slot technology and from what I read no tungsten? I'm guessing with added length of 4-7i, it's not much issue, but hitting the stock 7i P790 about 180 makes me wonder about the 8i in, although will I need it??? Thx! And I can adjust the lofts if needed.

>

>

> ... I have several sets I play including the P760's and Coba Forged Tours, but the P790's are my primary irons taking up about 75% of my rounds. I am not a big hitter and my 7 iron is my 170 club with the 790's. For me at least, I find the distance increases slightly with each club. Obviously loft plays into that. The pw is a hair longer than my 760's/FT's but it didn't take long to dial it in, especially since I rarely hit full pw's preferring to play 1/2 and 3/4 shots with a lower trajectory. After 2 back surgeries my miss is usually a little thin as I can stand up a hair thru impact when my back is tight so the slots in the soles are a very nice bonus in the 7-4 irons. Fwiw, I play mine 1* weak in the 5-pw and have my 4 iron at standard loft.

>

Thank you - all things I am looking at as well! Hit them straight!

• 2 months later...

For those guys playing P790's, what specialty wedges have you gone with to match? I have been testing a lot of irons lately, and even as a +2.8 handicap I think I'm going to settle on the P790's, I really like them. However, I'm having a hard time finding wedges that blend well or match it.

I'm not keen on going Milled Grind 2 either as I don't care for the face rusting really.

... For me at least, the Vokey's match up well. Look at address is very similar and not much difference in feel. I did bend my 5-pw P790's 1* weak so I have a 46/52/58* gap with my wedges. Granted the hollow headed 46* 790 pw is a little longer than the Vokeys but that didn't take much time to adjust to. Good luck!

I have the SM7's. The PW on the 790s for is stock loft at 45* and then I got a SM7 50* but bent it to 49* and then my next wedge is an SM7 at 54*. Fits the gaps nicely.

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

I've not hit anything but the MMC and have been pretty pleased with them. I just can't figure out if I'd get along with a 43* pitching wedge in the T200. Seems crazy to me. My stock PW is 140 with a 46*. I can't say I want to hit a 150-160yd PW. Does that not leave crazy gaps in your bags?

Nothing is safe in my bag!

I'm more so curious to know if guys that hit it a similar distance go into the T200, T300 or P790. I've tried the old 790 a little bit and hit 190yd 7 irons. That just leaves a HUGE gap for me at the bottom and would require an additional wedge to go into the bag. Just can't wrap my head around how to make it work.

Nothing is safe in my bag!

• 2 weeks later...

The T200s come 5i-GW with the latter being 48degrees. Means you may carry 4 wedges - if I get the T200s I will have 43/48/52/58 in wedges which is nuts. I am still very split between MP20 MMCs (being a Mizuno player for many years) and the T200s which are getting great reviews - any more thoughts anyone? My handicap is mid single figures and I play once a fortnight. Thanks!