2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Callaway Epic Forged; The Ball Speed Is Frightening

rgk5

If you are complaining about the distance, lofts, and numbering of the irons, the Epic Forged is not for you. I am 62 with medical issues and my swing and ball speed is not what it used to be. Pro's play irons not for distance but the iron gets them to a specific distance. The Epic Forged allows me to do the same. My 7 iron has been my 150 yard club for decades. When it no longer goes 150 yards, I start looking for new irons. The Epic Forged allows me to continue to use my 7 iron for 150 yards. I play with people that my age and older. I have played holes were I teed off with my 7 iron and the person I played with used driver and hoped to get it into the air, over the water. Clubs like the Epic Forged is targeted for people that need help with distance and getting the ball in the air.

• Like 4

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

> @TM_HOYER said:

> If you are complaining about the distance, lofts, and numbering of the irons, the Epic Forged is not for you. I am 62 with medical issues and my swing and ball speed is not what it used to be. Pro's play irons not for distance but the iron gets them to a specific distance. The Epic Forged allows me to do the same. My 7 iron has been my 150 yard club for decades. When it no longer goes 150 yards, I start looking for new irons. The Epic Forged allows me to continue to use my 7 iron for 150 yards. I play with people that my age and older. I have played holes were I teed off with my 7 iron and the person I played with used driver and hoped to get it into the air, over the water. Clubs like the Epic Forged is targeted for people that need help with distance and getting the ball in the air.

At the end of the day, this is what it's all about. I keep saying to customers and here, you don't have to buy these. These are just one option to get back lost distance or to get something where you can enjoy the game more. Not every iron is going to suit everyone. That's why Callaway and other companies make so many options.

• Like 2

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

> @tbowles411 said:

> > @TM_HOYER said:

> > If you are complaining about the distance, lofts, and numbering of the irons, the Epic Forged is not for you. I am 62 with medical issues and my swing and ball speed is not what it used to be. Pro's play irons not for distance but the iron gets them to a specific distance. The Epic Forged allows me to do the same. My 7 iron has been my 150 yard club for decades. When it no longer goes 150 yards, I start looking for new irons. The Epic Forged allows me to continue to use my 7 iron for 150 yards. I play with people that my age and older. I have played holes were I teed off with my 7 iron and the person I played with used driver and hoped to get it into the air, over the water. Clubs like the Epic Forged is targeted for people that need help with distance and getting the ball in the air.

> At the end of the day, this is what it's all about. I keep saying to customers and here, you don't have to buy these. These are just one option to get back lost distance or to get something where you can enjoy the game more. Not every iron is going to suit everyone. That's why Callaway and other companies make so many options.

>

>

Phil has epic pro 4-6 iron in his bag and a UT 18 (similar construction). I don't know why people are saying these aren't for better players. Is 5 majors enough to be considered a "better player"?

• Like 1

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

> @JD3 said:

>

> Phil has epic pro 4-6 iron in his bag and a UT 18 (similar construction). I don't know why people are saying these aren't for better players. Is 5 majors enough to be considered a "better player"?

There is a difference between the Epic Pro and Epic Forged. The Epic Pro's Phil has are not off the shelf. They have been customized to fit the distance he wants them to go. Plus do not forget, Phil is a club hoe. You never know what Phil will have in his bag at any given time.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

> @TM_HOYER said:

> > @JD3 said:

> >

> > Phil has epic pro 4-6 iron in his bag and a UT 18 (similar construction). I don't know why people are saying these aren't for better players. Is 5 majors enough to be considered a "better player"?

> There is a difference between the Epic Pro and Epic Forged. The Epic Pro's Phil has are not off the shelf. They have been customized to fit the distance he wants them to go. Plus do not forget, Phil is a club hoe. You never know what Phil will have in his bag at any given time.

>

Not much same construction. Tungsten across bottom, cup face, hotter metal, strong lofts. If they used normal lofts with that head shots would balloon.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

> @Shakespeare said:

> > @phatchrisrules said:

> > > @Red4282 said:

> > > Yea except high speed players dont have a problem getting it up. In fact alot are trying to keep it down. Lower spin is not an advantage with these, at least not for dispersion front to back.

> > > >

> > > > That's like saying they should have stayed with higher spin, lower launch wound balls after ProV1 came out.

> > >

> > > Im not trying to be nasty or anything , but you really dont have a clue what you are talking about. These irons and their concept arent “new”. Its a hybrid that is made to look like an iron head. Name a pro that plays a full set of hybrids. Hybrids are beneficial to even pros in the long iron area because at that point the forgiveness outweighs its distance control dispersion. But when we get into the shorter clubs, forgiveness and ball speed take a back seat, and premium is can the club deliver accurate dispersion front to back, when struck well. Thats gonna be your blade, or even players cavity to some degree. Not to mention most pros WANT to feel their mishits. All these are are a set of hybrids redisigned to look like an iron and some jacked lofts. Heck id be curious how much play they would get on lpga tour. But pga? No way.

> > >

> >

> > Pros have switched to hybrids because they are more consistent, both in accuracy and in distance control. The cup face/unsupported face on hybrids maintain ball speeds across the face and there is usually only a smaller delta of drop off in terms of ball speed, spin, and peak height when you compare directly to a player's iron which more often than not lack this type of technology for one reason or another (which is a whole other thread of discussion). I'm sorry, but for your roughly 5 handicap and above, there is very little data to support that blades are more consistent in both distance and lateral dispersion. There is a group here that will argue this is true until they are blue in the face but I have seen it in countless, countless fits and it is rarely, if ever, the case when compared to directly to something with some sort of ball speed tech. I can dig up the data and create the document if anybody wants to have a really boring read for a few minutes if it really matters that much using data from well over 200 fits the past year and a half.

> >

> > Moving on, here are the facts. 1) amateurs usually struggle with getting lift. 2) ball speed creates lift. 3) loft controls spin. 4) peak height and descent angle are much more predictable a method for controlling stopping power than is spin as there are a lot of variables that influence spin such as golf ball change from the fitting ball, moisture on the ball, moisture in the air, and strike point, to name a few. If you look at the chart I have affixed below from the Titleist fitter's handbook you will see that launching it high with little spin is just as effective, if not more effective in some cases, as launching it "properly". To build off of this, this is obviously at 115mph which most amateurs would struggle to get to at a 32-34* 7i as most I have seen tend to be in the 105-110mph range for a 6i. Following Titleist, each iron should have roughly 5mph of ball speed differential, meaning most amateurs are going to have between 110-115mph on their current 5i but with insufficient launch. In Callaway's defense, if they strengthen the loft to a "5 iron" to increase ball speed to help with lift and also lower the CG and such to help it peak, they have, in theory, created an iron that launches high and spins more than acceptably for it's ball speed.

> >

> > The last point I want to touch on is market share. The vast, vast majority of golfers are not good to be blunt. The last 2-3 years, the best selling irons at Callaway for the higher handicap have been the Rogue X, the M2/M4/M6 at Taylormade, and the AP1 and AP2 at Titleist. Some of these have even been moving into the mid-handicap range because of their usability and are all off of a 43* or less PW. The so called "strong lofted" Ping Eye 2 is iconic and has been Ping's best selling iron to date. Strong lofts aren't going anywhere, and player's are finding them easier to use, whether it be placebo or not. However, I have a whole host of client's I can refer you to that have made the switch to modern technology and have dropped their scores substantially, some as up to 8 strokes off their handicap with no other change than newer irons.

> >

> > 964kpfrseuhx.jpg

> >

>

> Thanks for the chart...not sure how a 16 deg launch has a window of 4000 to 8000 rpms as ideal spin.Can you explain the criteria where that big of spread is ideal for the same launch( based on green softness or whatever) and would the whole graph shift to the right and go higher for slower swing speeds? Thanks

Hi. I'm not sure, and to my knowledge Titleist never really explains it. You're probably on to something about green firmness. I wouldn't suspect it would shift much either. Height is height and ball speed is ball speed, it shouldn't matter what your swing speed is or what club is achieving these results.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

> @phatchrisrules said:

> > @Shakespeare said:

> > > @phatchrisrules said:

> > > > @Red4282 said:

> > > > Yea except high speed players dont have a problem getting it up. In fact alot are trying to keep it down. Lower spin is not an advantage with these, at least not for dispersion front to back.

> > > > >

> > > > > That's like saying they should have stayed with higher spin, lower launch wound balls after ProV1 came out.

> > > >

> > > > Im not trying to be nasty or anything , but you really dont have a clue what you are talking about. These irons and their concept arent “new”. Its a hybrid that is made to look like an iron head. Name a pro that plays a full set of hybrids. Hybrids are beneficial to even pros in the long iron area because at that point the forgiveness outweighs its distance control dispersion. But when we get into the shorter clubs, forgiveness and ball speed take a back seat, and premium is can the club deliver accurate dispersion front to back, when struck well. Thats gonna be your blade, or even players cavity to some degree. Not to mention most pros WANT to feel their mishits. All these are are a set of hybrids redisigned to look like an iron and some jacked lofts. Heck id be curious how much play they would get on lpga tour. But pga? No way.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Pros have switched to hybrids because they are more consistent, both in accuracy and in distance control. The cup face/unsupported face on hybrids maintain ball speeds across the face and there is usually only a smaller delta of drop off in terms of ball speed, spin, and peak height when you compare directly to a player's iron which more often than not lack this type of technology for one reason or another (which is a whole other thread of discussion). I'm sorry, but for your roughly 5 handicap and above, there is very little data to support that blades are more consistent in both distance and lateral dispersion. There is a group here that will argue this is true until they are blue in the face but I have seen it in countless, countless fits and it is rarely, if ever, the case when compared to directly to something with some sort of ball speed tech. I can dig up the data and create the document if anybody wants to have a really boring read for a few minutes if it really matters that much using data from well over 200 fits the past year and a half.

> > >

> > > Moving on, here are the facts. 1) amateurs usually struggle with getting lift. 2) ball speed creates lift. 3) loft controls spin. 4) peak height and descent angle are much more predictable a method for controlling stopping power than is spin as there are a lot of variables that influence spin such as golf ball change from the fitting ball, moisture on the ball, moisture in the air, and strike point, to name a few. If you look at the chart I have affixed below from the Titleist fitter's handbook you will see that launching it high with little spin is just as effective, if not more effective in some cases, as launching it "properly". To build off of this, this is obviously at 115mph which most amateurs would struggle to get to at a 32-34* 7i as most I have seen tend to be in the 105-110mph range for a 6i. Following Titleist, each iron should have roughly 5mph of ball speed differential, meaning most amateurs are going to have between 110-115mph on their current 5i but with insufficient launch. In Callaway's defense, if they strengthen the loft to a "5 iron" to increase ball speed to help with lift and also lower the CG and such to help it peak, they have, in theory, created an iron that launches high and spins more than acceptably for it's ball speed.

> > >

> > > The last point I want to touch on is market share. The vast, vast majority of golfers are not good to be blunt. The last 2-3 years, the best selling irons at Callaway for the higher handicap have been the Rogue X, the M2/M4/M6 at Taylormade, and the AP1 and AP2 at Titleist. Some of these have even been moving into the mid-handicap range because of their usability and are all off of a 43* or less PW. The so called "strong lofted" Ping Eye 2 is iconic and has been Ping's best selling iron to date. Strong lofts aren't going anywhere, and player's are finding them easier to use, whether it be placebo or not. However, I have a whole host of client's I can refer you to that have made the switch to modern technology and have dropped their scores substantially, some as up to 8 strokes off their handicap with no other change than newer irons.

> > >

> > > 964kpfrseuhx.jpg

> > >

> >

> > Thanks for the chart...not sure how a 16 deg launch has a window of 4000 to 8000 rpms as ideal spin.Can you explain the criteria where that big of spread is ideal for the same launch( based on green softness or whatever) and would the whole graph shift to the right and go higher for slower swing speeds? Thanks

>

> Hi. I'm not sure, and to my knowledge Titleist never really explains it. You're probably on to something about green firmness. I wouldn't suspect it would shift much either. Height is height and ball speed is ball speed, it shouldn't matter what your swing speed is or what club is achieving these results.

Thx...that is true..i guess you have to see where each person compares with relation to launch window. If i get on a launch monitor and find my 115 ball speed club then look at the launch angle and spin i could see where i would be on the chart. My guess is that is my 6 iron which would put me right in the middle of ideal spin( at 30 deg) so that means i would have to hit the epic 8 iron and see what the launch and spin are to see where i fall on the chart since that 8 iron is close to 30 deg. Got it....

> @Shakespeare said:

> > @phatchrisrules said:

> > > @Shakespeare said:

> > > > @phatchrisrules said:

> > > > > @Red4282 said:

> > > > > Yea except high speed players dont have a problem getting it up. In fact alot are trying to keep it down. Lower spin is not an advantage with these, at least not for dispersion front to back.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > That's like saying they should have stayed with higher spin, lower launch wound balls after ProV1 came out.

> > > > >

> > > > > Im not trying to be nasty or anything , but you really dont have a clue what you are talking about. These irons and their concept arent “new”. Its a hybrid that is made to look like an iron head. Name a pro that plays a full set of hybrids. Hybrids are beneficial to even pros in the long iron area because at that point the forgiveness outweighs its distance control dispersion. But when we get into the shorter clubs, forgiveness and ball speed take a back seat, and premium is can the club deliver accurate dispersion front to back, when struck well. Thats gonna be your blade, or even players cavity to some degree. Not to mention most pros WANT to feel their mishits. All these are are a set of hybrids redisigned to look like an iron and some jacked lofts. Heck id be curious how much play they would get on lpga tour. But pga? No way.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Pros have switched to hybrids because they are more consistent, both in accuracy and in distance control. The cup face/unsupported face on hybrids maintain ball speeds across the face and there is usually only a smaller delta of drop off in terms of ball speed, spin, and peak height when you compare directly to a player's iron which more often than not lack this type of technology for one reason or another (which is a whole other thread of discussion). I'm sorry, but for your roughly 5 handicap and above, there is very little data to support that blades are more consistent in both distance and lateral dispersion. There is a group here that will argue this is true until they are blue in the face but I have seen it in countless, countless fits and it is rarely, if ever, the case when compared to directly to something with some sort of ball speed tech. I can dig up the data and create the document if anybody wants to have a really boring read for a few minutes if it really matters that much using data from well over 200 fits the past year and a half.

> > > >

> > > > Moving on, here are the facts. 1) amateurs usually struggle with getting lift. 2) ball speed creates lift. 3) loft controls spin. 4) peak height and descent angle are much more predictable a method for controlling stopping power than is spin as there are a lot of variables that influence spin such as golf ball change from the fitting ball, moisture on the ball, moisture in the air, and strike point, to name a few. If you look at the chart I have affixed below from the Titleist fitter's handbook you will see that launching it high with little spin is just as effective, if not more effective in some cases, as launching it "properly". To build off of this, this is obviously at 115mph which most amateurs would struggle to get to at a 32-34* 7i as most I have seen tend to be in the 105-110mph range for a 6i. Following Titleist, each iron should have roughly 5mph of ball speed differential, meaning most amateurs are going to have between 110-115mph on their current 5i but with insufficient launch. In Callaway's defense, if they strengthen the loft to a "5 iron" to increase ball speed to help with lift and also lower the CG and such to help it peak, they have, in theory, created an iron that launches high and spins more than acceptably for it's ball speed.

> > > >

> > > > The last point I want to touch on is market share. The vast, vast majority of golfers are not good to be blunt. The last 2-3 years, the best selling irons at Callaway for the higher handicap have been the Rogue X, the M2/M4/M6 at Taylormade, and the AP1 and AP2 at Titleist. Some of these have even been moving into the mid-handicap range because of their usability and are all off of a 43* or less PW. The so called "strong lofted" Ping Eye 2 is iconic and has been Ping's best selling iron to date. Strong lofts aren't going anywhere, and player's are finding them easier to use, whether it be placebo or not. However, I have a whole host of client's I can refer you to that have made the switch to modern technology and have dropped their scores substantially, some as up to 8 strokes off their handicap with no other change than newer irons.

> > > >

> > > > 964kpfrseuhx.jpg

> > > >

> > >

> > > Thanks for the chart...not sure how a 16 deg launch has a window of 4000 to 8000 rpms as ideal spin.Can you explain the criteria where that big of spread is ideal for the same launch( based on green softness or whatever) and would the whole graph shift to the right and go higher for slower swing speeds? Thanks

> >

> > Hi. I'm not sure, and to my knowledge Titleist never really explains it. You're probably on to something about green firmness. I wouldn't suspect it would shift much either. Height is height and ball speed is ball speed, it shouldn't matter what your swing speed is or what club is achieving these results.

>

> Thx...that is true..i guess you have to see where each person compares with relation to launch window. If i get on a launch monitor and find my 115 ball speed club then look at the launch angle and spin i could see where i would be on the chart. My guess is that is my 6 iron which would put me right in the middle of ideal spin( at 30 deg) so that means i would have to hit the epic 8 iron and see what the launch and spin are to see where i fall on the chart since that 8 iron is close to 30 deg. Got it....

You're welcome. Give it a shot it you never know.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

So assuming the TXG review is accurate and fair, these clubs produce very high ball speed and very high launch, which yield steep descent angles onto greens. Ignoring the "number" printed onto the bottom of the club, is that a useful set of features for players losing distance and height due to age or injury? Other reviewers comment that the club face is also very forgiving, another useful feature for those who do not stripe the ball at impact consistently.

Is that a fair summary of those results?

> @SteveLV said:

> So assuming the TXG review is accurate and fair, these clubs produce very high ball speed and very high launch, which yield steep descent angles onto greens. Ignoring the "number" printed onto the bottom of the club, is that a useful set of features for players losing distance and height due to age or injury? Other reviewers comment that the club face is also very forgiving, another useful feature for those who do not stripe the ball at impact consistently.

>

> Is that a fair summary of those results?

Yes..i think people like me are wondering what results non tour swing speeds will give . I think the graph posted earlier that has launch angke ,ball speed and spin helps. The issue is how much launch you can get since it appears spin will be low compared to the nu3ber on the bottom of the club.

I think they look nice but really, from a tech standpoint they are just a “premium” version of the Rogue and Rogue Pros, both of which easily match it in distance and are a lot cheaper. (I consider the Rogue Pro to be one of the more underrated clubs.)

Feel very similar, have the same internal microspheres and jacked lofts. The Epic Forged is not a forged face, it is a cast, stainless steel face welded to a forged body. OEMs love to write “forged”’ on clubs for marketing, but they’re only labeling the parts that are forged and that is not the part hitting the ball.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

These are another game changer for many. They feel phenomenal, look nice and are a big a game changer for me (62 yrs, 10 hcp, ) did not want to like them. Bought them with full intentions of sending back (nope, my T300s got the round trip!). I had Rouges and these are NOTHING like them. Could not hold as many greens with them. These? Two rounds in, I’m longer with silly spin for me. I’m a Ping fanboy and to play Cally’s that are not X-14 Pro Series felt wrong. These are not just a Rouge copy by any stretch. I’ve owned both and in my opinion, it’s not even close. These are better than Epic or Rouge for me.

Update 11/25: I have tried to hate these (90 day return:-) but they work as advertised. I throw all kinds of funky swings at them. From 170 yards in, nice high flight and a deep ball mark from coming down steeply with my average distance from landing less than three feet. I use a prov1 x. Plus the Steelfibers are a blessing to my shoulder and arms. Apparently they are staying in the bag.

• Like 3

This is an epic Forged thread so will respect that, but it's just amazing to me that people cannot appreciate that for those of us who are low launch, low spin with our irons, that the 790 would have flyer issues. Because they absolutely did. Measured on a trackman. You'd see a ball flush and the numbers would come out with 200rpm less spin and go 15 yards further. It happened. I tested it. Had it happen during events. Didn't mean they aren't amazing clubs for higher spin players because they are. Cf16 did the same. The cf19 don't for me. So something got fixed, though I'm not sure what.

Anyways, not sure why it's so necessary to make blanket statements on this stuff.

> @ThorntonMelon said:

> This is an epic Forged thread so will respect that, but it's just amazing to me that people cannot appreciate that for those of us who are low launch, low spin with our irons, that the 790 would have flyer issues. Because they absolutely did. Measured on a trackman. You'd see a ball flush and the numbers would come out with 200rpm less spin and go 15 yards further. It happened. I tested it. Had it happen during events. Didn't mean they aren't amazing clubs for higher spin players because they are. Cf16 did the same. The cf19 don't for me. So something got fixed, though I'm not sure what.

>

> Anyways, not sure why it's so necessary to make blanket statements on this stuff.

200 revs doesnt equal 15 yards. 2000 maybe... was it a typo?

My 2 cents on these,

I have put the "4" Iron in play as it outperformed my UT forged 18* in carry, total distance and dispersion both in fitting and on course.

They "feel soft" I play MBs in my Irons and the epic pro feel softer IMO.

I am a high swing speed guy, and this thing just flat out goes! I play mostly on Links courses ( I am a member of one) and last week in high wind conditions this thing was amazing,

I was worried before with launch but that is not the issue as I can flight these low and high, I can see these making their way into tour bags/ elite amateurs.

• Like 1

index 2.4
Driver: Callaway Epic flash SZ 9 (10*) Tensei AV Blue Series 65 TX flex
3W: Callaway Rogue 13.5* graphite design tour ad di-6x 
Hybrid: Callaway X2hot pro 20* Aldila tour green 85 TX (old trusty)
Irons: Callaway epic forged 4 Iron (18*) Aerotech FC115 F5
          Callaway Apex pro 19 4-5 KBS C-Taper 130x 
          Callaway Apex MB 6-PW KBS C-Taper 130x
Wedges: Callaway MD4 52*-10 MD4 58*-8 C-taper 120s+
Putter:  Odyssey stroke lab number 3

> @TheRoomWrecker said:

> My 2 cents on these,

> I have put the "4" Iron in play as it outperformed my UT forged 18* in carry, total distance and dispersion both in fitting and on course.

> They "feel soft" I play MBs in my Irons and the epic pro feel softer IMO.

> I am a high swing speed guy, and this thing just flat out goes! I play mostly on Links courses ( I am a member of one) and last week in high wind conditions this thing was amazing,

> I was worried before with launch but that is not the issue as I can flight these low and high, I can see these making their way into tour bags/ elite amateurs.

>

>

Just one club or whole set?

> @Red4282 said:

> > @TheRoomWrecker said:

> > My 2 cents on these,

> > I have put the "4" Iron in play as it outperformed my UT forged 18* in carry, total distance and dispersion both in fitting and on course.

> > They "feel soft" I play MBs in my Irons and the epic pro feel softer IMO.

> > I am a high swing speed guy, and this thing just flat out goes! I play mostly on Links courses ( I am a member of one) and last week in high wind conditions this thing was amazing,

> > I was worried before with launch but that is not the issue as I can flight these low and high, I can see these making their way into tour bags/ elite amateurs.

> >

> >

>

> Just one club or whole set?

Just the 4 iron to replace my UT as a driving Iron.

index 2.4
Driver: Callaway Epic flash SZ 9 (10*) Tensei AV Blue Series 65 TX flex
3W: Callaway Rogue 13.5* graphite design tour ad di-6x 
Hybrid: Callaway X2hot pro 20* Aldila tour green 85 TX (old trusty)
Irons: Callaway epic forged 4 Iron (18*) Aerotech FC115 F5
          Callaway Apex pro 19 4-5 KBS C-Taper 130x 
          Callaway Apex MB 6-PW KBS C-Taper 130x
Wedges: Callaway MD4 52*-10 MD4 58*-8 C-taper 120s+
Putter:  Odyssey stroke lab number 3

I would be interested to hear how far someone with 82-83 mph swingspeed with a 6 iron might hit these. I had a fitting recently and didn’t hit these but didn’t find anything that bought me significant distance over my current irons. I think with slower swingspeed the massive increases in distance are diminished.

• 2 weeks later...

My son brought home a set of Epic forged for me to try today. They are the best feeling irons I've hit in more than 20 years. Now, you do have to adjust for the stronger lofts but was adjustments are made, they are fabulous. For those that can afford them, give them a very serious look and trial.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

• 2 months later...

I had a ton of store credit and picked up a used set at Roger Dunn in Santa Ana. They were 1/2 inch long and shafted with Tensei Stiff. Standard lie. I really struggled to launch them and am attributing that to the shafts which I just could not get along with. Normally play KBS C Taper Stiff or PX 6.0 but the Tensei felt like rebar. Not sure if they had been tipped or not but returned them for store credit. Going for a proper fitting so I can get the right shaft and give them a go.

Weird. If anything the Tensei if it was stiff, should have felt more friendly for launch than either of those two.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

I used to have a set of 1996 Big Bertha irons. Still a great set of irons if you are looking for maximum distance and forgiveness. Really accurate and easy to hit. Always remember them having a very large sweet spot. Also used to have a very good feel. It was almost impossible to miss hit those irons. Those things used to go miles - they were CRAZY long.