2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Set wedges over non-set wedges

mvhoffman

Is it odd to prefer the set wedges over non-set wedges? I have always been more comfortable with using the set wedges over the non-set wedges. Before I always accustomed it to the difference between blade and cavity back, but even now that there are cavity back wedges, I still prefer the set wedges. I seem to be able to play all of the same shots, however i personally thing that the set wedges are designed to spin less than the non-set wedges... Is there a difference?

My current set of Ping is 5-LW, as was my previous set of Cobra Amp Cells. My comfort and confidence is not with only 1 wedge either. The GW, SW, and LW from the set I feel like I can hit anywhere. Put a Vokey in my hands, can't hit the 52, 56 is SHANKed multiple times, and the 60 is played okay, just no distance when used, green side only club. My set GW is my 110-125 club, SW is 105 and in (including green side) and my LW is 70 and in (including green side and bunkers).

Didn't know if there was anyone else besides me that prefers set wedges?

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

I prefer set wedges for clubs primarily used for full swings (through GW in my case).

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour (14.5)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra King Tec Hybrid (24)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

Cobra Black Snakebite (58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

> @Celebros said:

> I prefer set wedges for clubs primarily used for full swings (through GW in my case).

I'm the same way. Set GW is full to 3/4 swings 99% of the time. Next 2 are specialty clubs for conditions or just how I feel for the day.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

> @Celebros said:

> I prefer set wedges for clubs primarily used for full swings (through GW in my case).

Me too. Just got fitted for a new set of irons (changed to graphite shaft). While playing first round, It became apparent that I needed to order a GW as the same specs as the rest of my irons rather than having it match the SW/LW.

After the PW it's fair game for me. Depending on that PW loft is what determines the lofts of my wedges. The lower lofted PW has me put a 50,54,58 combo but a higher lofted PW I will go 52,56,60. Those 3 wedges match only themselves and are usually whatever I am liking thats new when I buy new irons (TM MG's currently).

Players who hit basic wedge shots - mostly square-face impact and vary swing length - often do quite well with set wedges.

For me, the GW/AW is often the deciding factor. For the Callaway X20 irons, the AW just didn't get it. Major problems with distance control. For the TM SLDR irons, the AW proved an excellent club. And, there's set makeup. Later I switched to X20 Tours, which only featured the PW. You had select other wedges, such as Callaway, or as I did, Cleveland.

Players who manipulate the wedge face a lot for different spins, cuts, and clever bounce effects prefer the specialty wedges because of the specific sole grinds they can get.

Also, there's wedge variety. Many of the iron models now stop after AW or GW. Players are more likely to hit full shots with PW and AW than with SW and LW. Hence, wedge makers offer more sole grinds and bounce options with SW and LW than PW and AW. The SW and LW are the real scoring clubs with which people can get creative.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I dabbled with the idea of adding the set AW with the 790's I got. Previous to these irons I had the Apex and i210's. the i210's had the set gap wedge.

The AW in the 790's was just too chunky for me. So I went 50* Vokey bent to 49* for gapping purposes. Nothing wrong with the set wedge as its a full swing club most of the time. I chip with my 50* so wanted a specialized wedge

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

I have discovered that I prefer set wedges for all shots, full, half, chipping, flopping, etc...

Is there a difference in construction (excluding grind style) that a specialized wedge would more beneficial to me like the Ping Glide or something like that?

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

> @mvhoffman said:

> Is there a difference in construction (excluding grind style) that a specialized wedge would more beneficial to me like the Ping Glide or something like that?

The milling on the face or the variable groove spacing may provide some benefits. Hard for me to say how much of a difference.

I'm for the set wedge through the SW. I've usually carried some different type of LW (it's currently not the case, but most of the time the sole/grind on the LW has been a bit more versatile).

set wedge through GW then specialty 54 and 58

• Like 1

Titleist TSI3 9* - Graphite Design AD IZ 6X

Callaway Epic Speed 15* - Hzrdous Smoke 

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW - Project X IO

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

Bettinardi Hive BB 34 DASS

TItleist ProV1

Was never in a believer of the set gap wedge. End up getting fit and went with the set gap wedge. In my mind, PW and GW is just irons #10 and #11

Titleist TSR3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX Mk II 20 Degree Graphite Design AD-DI Hybrid 95X

Miura MC 502 4-9 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 48, 52, 56, 60 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro V1

If you play irons with pretty large heads, this time of year it can be tough getting clean contact out of the late-summer round with even the short irons and wedges. That's no reason to change whatever wedge choices otherwise suit you but it is a big advantage to, say, a 50-degree Vokey over a typical Game Improvement gap wedge.

I have only ever owned 1 set with a wedge higher lofted than a GW, and it was my Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro SW. I hated it. Since then, for me, sets stop at PW. It's a mental thing I reckon. A PW to me is basically a "10 iron". I rarely chip with it unless it is a flat bump and run. Otherwise, it is GW or SW depending on lie and shot requirement. GW and SW for me have to be non-set wedges.

> @bigred90gt said:

> I have only ever owned 1 set with a wedge higher lofted than a GW, and it was my Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro SW. I hated it. Since then, for me, sets stop at PW. It's a mental thing I reckon. A PW to me is basically a "10 iron". I rarely chip with it unless it is a flat bump and run. Otherwise, it is GW or SW depending on lie and shot requirement. GW and SW for me have to be non-set wedges.

A lot of people would agree with you. But just think about this for a second. Tiger Woods has a 45 degree and a 49 degree club in his bag that is the same make/model as the rest of his lower lofted irons. That's basically a modern (but not super-jacked) lofted PW and GW. Granted, his irons are pretty versatile and not like many "sets" that come with clubs beyond a PW (whatever loft that may be). But compared to some smaller players type clubs, it's not that different. Bottom line, if Tiger changed all of the labels on his clubs to 4-iron through GW would playing a set GW now be acceptable?

> @agolf1 said:

> > @bigred90gt said:

> > I have only ever owned 1 set with a wedge higher lofted than a GW, and it was my Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro SW. I hated it. Since then, for me, sets stop at PW. It's a mental thing I reckon. A PW to me is basically a "10 iron". I rarely chip with it unless it is a flat bump and run. Otherwise, it is GW or SW depending on lie and shot requirement. GW and SW for me have to be non-set wedges.

> A lot of people would agree with you. But just think about this for a second. Tiger Woods has a 45 degree and a 49 degree club in his bag that is the same make/model as the rest of his lower lofted irons. That's basically a modern (but not super-jacked) lofted PW and GW. Granted, his irons are pretty versatile and not like many "sets" that come with clubs beyond a PW (whatever loft that may be). But compared to some smaller players type clubs, it's not that different. Bottom line, if Tiger changed all of the labels on his clubs to 4-iron through GW would playing a set GW now be acceptable?

No. I couldnt care less what Tiger Woods does with his clubs. Our games do not resemble each other in any way. What would make you think the style of clubs TW plays would influence what I play?

I used to play MP68 blades, and still didnt want an MP68 GW or SW (I'm not even sure they made them either, but that is neither here nor there). I want my wedge to have a traditional wedge design with the sole grind that works for me, I do not want my wedge to match my irons, and I'm not sure why Tiger Woods would have anything to do with that decision.

> @bigred90gt said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > > @bigred90gt said:

> > > I have only ever owned 1 set with a wedge higher lofted than a GW, and it was my Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro SW. I hated it. Since then, for me, sets stop at PW. It's a mental thing I reckon. A PW to me is basically a "10 iron". I rarely chip with it unless it is a flat bump and run. Otherwise, it is GW or SW depending on lie and shot requirement. GW and SW for me have to be non-set wedges.

> > A lot of people would agree with you. But just think about this for a second. Tiger Woods has a 45 degree and a 49 degree club in his bag that is the same make/model as the rest of his lower lofted irons. That's basically a modern (but not super-jacked) lofted PW and GW. Granted, his irons are pretty versatile and not like many "sets" that come with clubs beyond a PW (whatever loft that may be). But compared to some smaller players type clubs, it's not that different. Bottom line, if Tiger changed all of the labels on his clubs to 4-iron through GW would playing a set GW now be acceptable?

>

> No. I couldnt care less what Tiger Woods does with his clubs. Our games do not resemble each other in any way. What would make you think the style of clubs TW plays would influence what I play?

>

> I used to play MP68 blades, and still didnt want an MP68 GW or SW (I'm not even sure they made them either, but that is neither here nor there). I want my wedge to have a traditional wedge design with the sole grind that works for me, I do not want my wedge to match my irons, and I'm not sure why Tiger Woods would have anything to do with that decision.

OK!!!!!! GO GO GO

> @bigred90gt said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > > @bigred90gt said:

> > > I have only ever owned 1 set with a wedge higher lofted than a GW, and it was my Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro SW. I hated it. Since then, for me, sets stop at PW. It's a mental thing I reckon. A PW to me is basically a "10 iron". I rarely chip with it unless it is a flat bump and run. Otherwise, it is GW or SW depending on lie and shot requirement. GW and SW for me have to be non-set wedges.

> > A lot of people would agree with you. But just think about this for a second. Tiger Woods has a 45 degree and a 49 degree club in his bag that is the same make/model as the rest of his lower lofted irons. That's basically a modern (but not super-jacked) lofted PW and GW. Granted, his irons are pretty versatile and not like many "sets" that come with clubs beyond a PW (whatever loft that may be). But compared to some smaller players type clubs, it's not that different. Bottom line, if Tiger changed all of the labels on his clubs to 4-iron through GW would playing a set GW now be acceptable?

> What would make you think the style of clubs TW plays would influence what I play?

It was a general question. But if you think what the pros do has no influence on what Joe golfer thinks you are delusional. And maybe you don't care - I never said you do or that you can't get better results with what you use. Go re-read what I wrote --- there is never a you beyond "people would agree with you" before you proceeded to blow your top off at me.

But, there is definitely a negative tone more often than not about set GW and how people can't use them if you are a good player (or think you are a good player). And like your post, there is absolutely no reference to the actual LOFT of what is being called a PW and a GW. It's basically GW = something for people that suck.

Have a nice day!

> @agolf1 said:

> > @bigred90gt said:

> > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > @bigred90gt said:

> > > > I have only ever owned 1 set with a wedge higher lofted than a GW, and it was my Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro SW. I hated it. Since then, for me, sets stop at PW. It's a mental thing I reckon. A PW to me is basically a "10 iron". I rarely chip with it unless it is a flat bump and run. Otherwise, it is GW or SW depending on lie and shot requirement. GW and SW for me have to be non-set wedges.

> > > A lot of people would agree with you. But just think about this for a second. Tiger Woods has a 45 degree and a 49 degree club in his bag that is the same make/model as the rest of his lower lofted irons. That's basically a modern (but not super-jacked) lofted PW and GW. Granted, his irons are pretty versatile and not like many "sets" that come with clubs beyond a PW (whatever loft that may be). But compared to some smaller players type clubs, it's not that different. Bottom line, if Tiger changed all of the labels on his clubs to 4-iron through GW would playing a set GW now be acceptable?

> > What would make you think the style of clubs TW plays would influence what I play?

> It was a general question. But if you think what the pros do has no influence on what Joe golfer thinks you are delusional. And maybe you don't care - I never said you do or that you can't get better results with what you use. Go re-read what I wrote --- there is never a you beyond "people would agree with you" before you proceeded to blow your top off at me.

>

> But, there is definitely a negative tone more often than not about set GW and how people can't use them if you are a good player (or think you are a good player). And like your post, there is absolutely no reference to the actual LOFT of what is being called a PW and a GW. It's basically GW = something for people that suck.

>

> Have a nice day!

I dont feel that I blew my top off at you, and if it came across that way, my apologies. I simply answered your question, then asked you a question. And I absolutely agree that some (possibly most) casual golfers are influenced by what the pros play.

My PW is 46 deg, my GW is 52.

The problem is now the sets come 4-GW and the same store doesn't have the matching sand wedges and lob wedges. So they corner people into spending $150-300 in addition to the 1000 they just spent. And for what? A magical grind that in my experience has never really mattered? But then again I don't play on tour courses like the rest of the world. I think I've seen the need for 2 flop shots this year in near 100 rounds. And for whatever its worth, the guys I see using "set" wedges are normally the guys at the top of the leaderboard every week in my leagues. The guys fooling around with a bag full of Vokey wedges with all these special grinds are normally holding up traffic trying to figure out which one they're going to use to hole the shot and firing selected club back toward the cart, 2-3 putting and going to the next hole angry. I was one of these guys for years. I went with a more basic approach this year and its paid dividends, big time. Get it on, get it in, move on.

Ping G400 10.5,3W,5W (Eye 2 1,3,5)
Ping Eye 2+no+ 3-SW, BeCu+ LW
Ping 30th Anniversary Anser, Pat Pend. Anser 2
Titleist Pro V1

I play non set wedges but you need to play what helps you score best, not what we say here.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

> @TinCupping said:

> The problem is now the sets come 4-GW and the same store doesn't have the matching sand wedges and lob wedges. So they corner people into spending $150-300 in addition to the 1000 they just spent. And for what? A magical grind that in my experience has never really mattered? But then again I don't play on tour courses like the rest of the world. I think I've seen the need for 2 flop shots this year in near 100 rounds. And for whatever its worth, the guys I see using "set" wedges are normally the guys at the top of the leaderboard every week in my leagues. The guys fooling around with a bag full of Vokey wedges with all these special grinds are normally holding up traffic trying to figure out which one they're going to use to hole the shot and firing selected club back toward the cart, 2-3 putting and going to the next hole angry. I was one of these guys for years. I went with a more basic approach this year and its paid dividends, big time. Get it on, get it in, move on.

Yeah, I saw the OP has the i25 and they were made through the LW. Now, PING only has a SW (and sometimes LW) in the G series. I understand why they did this - either a combination of trying to sell something "better" (more expensive) and a limited market for the set SW/LW in the intermediate/advanced clubs. But it's also somewhat of a constraint for me, as I'd like the same club through the SW. As you say, the set wedges aren't for everyone but I tend to think they are under used by the average skilled players. A lot of people would do well to just get the ball on the green somewhere around the hole a lot of the time. If one doesn't have much time to practice, I don't think you are losing anything with these clubs.

I've gone from specialty wedges in gap/sand/lob to just a specialty lob to now playing the set wedges all the way through. As I've had less time to play and practice, I like having just one look behind the ball to give me confidence. I've found myself taking less loft a lot more often, which has made me more consistent and actually helped my scores. I just take the simplest shot that will put me in the vicinity of the hole, 3 putt and move along.

The one place it might hurt me is from the sand, but I've never been a good bunker player, so I'd probably get the same results no matter what I used.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @TinCupping said:

> > The problem is now the sets come 4-GW and the same store doesn't have the matching sand wedges and lob wedges. So they corner people into spending $150-300 in addition to the 1000 they just spent. And for what? A magical grind that in my experience has never really mattered? But then again I don't play on tour courses like the rest of the world. I think I've seen the need for 2 flop shots this year in near 100 rounds. And for whatever its worth, the guys I see using "set" wedges are normally the guys at the top of the leaderboard every week in my leagues. The guys fooling around with a bag full of Vokey wedges with all these special grinds are normally holding up traffic trying to figure out which one they're going to use to hole the shot and firing selected club back toward the cart, 2-3 putting and going to the next hole angry. I was one of these guys for years. I went with a more basic approach this year and its paid dividends, big time. Get it on, get it in, move on.

> Yeah, I saw the OP has the i25 and they were made through the LW. Now, PING only has a SW (and sometimes LW) in the G series. I understand why they did this - either a combination of trying to sell something "better" (more expensive) and a limited market for the set SW/LW in the intermediate/advanced clubs. But it's also somewhat of a constraint for me, as I'd like the same club through the SW. As you say, the set wedges aren't for everyone but I tend to think they are under used by the average skilled players. A lot of people would do well to just get the ball on the green somewhere around the hole a lot of the time. If one doesn't have much time to practice, I don't think you are losing anything with these clubs.

I guess it depends on your level of practice and skills. I havent played set wedges past PW since my last set of Tridents. I havent gotten along with the set A/GW's at all. Ive been in love with the 48* wedge and just cant get away from it.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Ive actualy played with a few really good set wedges by nike. It was actualy the best full and short swings i made with wedges in my life. Spin seemed just fine full shots stopped on a dime and short ones seemed to roll just as much as my callaway md4's. Now i have differnet clubs and carry callaway md4 48,52,56. Im currently just ok with them. I tend to come up very short on alot of my full swings woth them. Im thinkin the standard shafts are too heavy for me? Need to get fitted this next summer for md5s