2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

** OFFICIAL REVIEW: MITSUBISHI MMT Iron Shafts ***** FINAL REVIEW Post #2 is UP

J13

On 7/15/2022 at 4:59 AM, Dyno4 said:

Looking to make a move into the MMT's in my Ping i59's. I am a long time DG S300 player and practice a lot. I'm in my early 40's and the steel shafts are starting to wear on me a bit, with tenderness in my elbow and general soreness after playing or practicing.

My local CC has a Trackman and I was able to demo the i59 with a KBS TGI 110. My avg. 6 iron SS is 97 mph and I was generating good launch and spin numbers with the KBS. I was not able to demo any of the MMT shafts. However, indoor launch numbers do not always correspond with on course performance for me.

My question is which MMT profile will match best with the S300? I'd like to maybe go a touch stiffer with the MMT's, but won't have an opportunity to demo first. 

I'm around the same SS as you, you should probably be playing the TX. I have a mixed set of Ping i210's. I have the 105TX in the 4-7, and the 125TX in the 8-GW. Feel is great, can really go after it and the shaft just holds steady. 

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

• 2 months later...

Would love some guidance!

6 iron SS is around 92 Driver is 115-ish. I’ve tried X-stiff shafts in the past, but they just don’t feel quite right, I don’t think I load the shaft enough through transition. They feel like I’m swinging a telephone pole 

I’ve played the Nippon 115 and the profile worked great for my swing but I’m looking to make the switch to graphite. 

is the 95s a good fit to change to? I’m good with the lighter weight 

7 minutes ago, Iperry814 said:

Would love some guidance!

6 iron SS is around 92 Driver is 115-ish. I’ve tried X-stiff shafts in the past, but they just don’t feel quite right, I don’t think I load the shaft enough through transition. They feel like I’m swinging a telephone pole 

I’ve played the Nippon 115 and the profile worked great for my swing but I’m looking to make the switch to graphite. 

is the 95s a good fit to change to? I’m good with the lighter weight 

I’m pretty much the same SS as you, moderate tempo and transition, and play Modus 115x. I have the 105tx soft stepped in my 4 utility and it’s my favorite/best feeling club. It felt a little strange at first, but the adjustment period was short and now the transition into the rest of my irons is seamless. I think the 105s would be a pretty good option for you - that’s a better weight class to jump down to vs 95 IMO. 

• Like 1

My WITB

Cobra Darkspeed LS 10.5º -1º | Tour AD VF 6x

TBD | LIN-Q M40x Blue 7F5

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus Rescue 19.5º | Tour AD IZ 95x

Srixon ZX Utility 4i | MMT 105tx

Titleist T150 | Modus 115x

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 50º & 54º | DG TI S400

Cleveland RTX Full Face 58º |  Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon Garage Las Vegas H7 | KBS CT Tour

Ball: TP5x or Prov1

54 minutes ago, STank724 said:

I’m pretty much the same SS as you, moderate tempo and transition, and play Modus 115x. I have the 105tx soft stepped in my 4 utility and it’s my favorite/best feeling club. It felt a little strange at first, but the adjustment period was short and now the transition into the rest of my irons is seamless. I think the 105s would be a pretty good option for you - that’s a better weight class to jump down to vs 95 IMO. 

So, I’ve hit (and enjoyed) the TGI 95, felt like the weight was good for my swing. But the build quality concerns me with the KBS graphite shafts. 

other than weight, is there a meaningful difference in the profile between the 105 and 95?

Torque? Dunno. Never A-Bd these, but that's on the sheet.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

Still happily using them and no, I didn't lose any feel coming from X100.

On another note, I've tried the L-series and they didn't feel (nor perform) any better or worse than the MMT's

• Thanks 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

Same. Plan on getting them again. 

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone go from the 125tx to the 105tx? I have the 125tx, but I'm also pushing 55. I can still load them when I'm feeling good, but it seems I have no margin on cold days when I'm stiff/sore, or when my back/pelvis is out. Specifically on the longer 5 and 6 iron... it's harder to launch, and distance isn't quite there as the higher irons. I also play them 1/2" longer with midsize+4 grips and extra wraps. The larger grips SW them down to D4, but the static weight is hefty. I really like these shafts, and don't want to sacrifice control, but lighter and a little less effort to launch would be great. In reading the specs, the 105tx are lighter and similar in torque. Any input from fellow users? Thanks

ps...my 9 iron is 44* and goes 150

On 3/2/2023 at 8:18 PM, enickma said:

Anyone go from the 125tx to the 105tx? I have the 125tx, but I'm also pushing 55. I can still load them when I'm feeling good, but it seems I have no margin on cold days when I'm stiff/sore, or when my back/pelvis is out. Specifically on the longer 5 and 6 iron... it's harder to launch, and distance isn't quite there as the higher irons. I also play them 1/2" longer with midsize+4 grips and extra wraps. The larger grips SW them down to D4, but the static weight is hefty. I really like these shafts, and don't want to sacrifice control, but lighter and a little less effort to launch would be great. In reading the specs, the 105tx are lighter and similar in torque. Any input from fellow users? Thanks

ps...my 9 iron is 44* and goes 150

Haven't used the 125tx, but if you're worried about load, I can say I know what you mean. I'd suggest going to 125S before going to 105tx. You'll have the same "load" issues. I went with a soft step in mine, and they are still a lot. I don't think you're going to load them more with 20gr less static mass. That won't change. You'll have to be considerably faster.

I'd go 105s, and if it helps, hard step it once. That's more of a long term play.

On 3/2/2023 at 1:18 AM, enickma said:

Anyone go from the 125tx to the 105tx? I have the 125tx, but I'm also pushing 55.

I'm 59 and I went to 105TX in the 4-6 irons for the exact reason(s) you've introduced. The 105TX checked every box I was looking for and after a little practice you won't notice the difference.

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

Anyone else have a tip break? I've been playing 125 tx for a couple months and the 9 iron shat started splintering in the impact direction.

Mitsubishi is replacing the part but now I'm wondering if this is a rare one time thing or if I should forget about this graphite experiment and go back to the trusty ol' DGs.

Edited by howeber

7 hours ago, nitram said:

I'm 59 and I went to 105TX in the 4-6 irons for the exact reason(s) you've introduced. The 105TX checked every box I was looking for and after a little practice you won't notice the difference.

Good to hear! What did you notice that needed to be dialed in? Was there any dispersion or control issues with the 105 if you went after it like the 125? IYO, would there be any trade-off gaming 105tx through the bag in the scoring clubs?  I'm thinking of maybe going 5-P if the difference is slight. Thanks

22 hours ago, karstens_ghost said:

Haven't used the 125tx, but if you're worried about load, I can say I know what you mean. I'd suggest going to 125S before going to 105tx. You'll have the same "load" issues. I went with a soft step in mine, and they are still a lot. I don't think you're going to load them more with 20gr less static mass. That won't change. You'll have to be considerably faster.

I'd go 105s, and if it helps, hard step it once. That's more of a long term play.

It's not so much a load issue really. It's more of an overall weight issue. They just feel overall heavy at times. Staying 125 won't help, and going down to S could be too drastic a kick or feel change without getting fit. 

7 hours ago, howeber said:

Anyone else have a tip break? 

No issues for me after a solid year

5 minutes ago, enickma said:

It's not so much a load issue really. It's more of an overall weight issue. They just feel overall heavy at times. Staying 125 won't help, and going down to S could be too drastic a kick or feel change without getting fit. 

No issues for me after a solid year

You've answered your own question then. 

11 hours ago, enickma said:

What did you notice that needed to be dialed in? Was there any dispersion or control issues with the 105 if you went after it like the 125? IYO, would there be any trade-off gaming 105tx through the bag in the scoring clubs? 

I got a little more launch and height on 4-6 iron, and I needed that.

Not really any comparable dispersion issues. My misses are naturally bigger with the longer irons.

I don't think so. It depends on how weight sensitive you are. I like my clubs to swing weight heavy. Wedges at E-0 while my driver is D-5.5. The 4-5 irons are D-6.5 and the 6 is D-7.

I think the 105's can hold up to whatever you give it and it shouldn't take long for you to get used to 'em.

• Like 1

125tx on the way 

going in some mp20 mb 

Always played xstiff shafts x100, 6.5px , kbs ctaper 130x etc 

see how these work! 

• Like 1

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

Need some guidance please!  7 iron swing speed is currently 88-92, driver 110-114.  I currently play project x lz 6.5. Short back swing with aggressive transition.  Wanted to go to graphite due to tennis elbow.  I play stiff shafts in my hybrids and woods.  Have tried a few x stiff in driver, but didn’t like the “telephone pole feel”.  Have also tried project x 6.5s, and to me had to the same “telephone pole feel”.  I unfortunately don’t have access to try these shafts.  Looking at the MMT 125s or MMT 125 tx.  Trying to avoid the “telephone pole feel”.  Any feedback is appreciated!!

On 3/11/2023 at 11:02 AM, chollier986 said:

Need some guidance please!  7 iron swing speed is currently 88-92, driver 110-114.  I currently play project x lz 6.5. Short back swing with aggressive transition.  Wanted to go to graphite due to tennis elbow.  I play stiff shafts in my hybrids and woods.  Have tried a few x stiff in driver, but didn’t like the “telephone pole feel”.  Have also tried project x 6.5s, and to me had to the same “telephone pole feel”.  I unfortunately don’t have access to try these shafts.  Looking at the MMT 125s or MMT 125 tx.  Trying to avoid the “telephone pole feel”.  Any feedback is appreciated!!

I would grab a 7 iron shaft and build it to your specs.  No other way for you to know. They're based off the X100, so they don't have any waggle. They'll have that telephone pole feel, but not at contact. It's a pleasing softer feel. They're hard to describe. They will absolutely help with joint inflammation and discomfort 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, enickma said:

I would grab a 7 iron shaft and build it to your specs.  No other way for you to know. They're based off the X100, so they don't have any waggle. They'll have that telephone pole feel, but not at contact. It's a pleasing softer feel. They're hard to describe. They will absolutely help with joint inflammation and discomfort 

Thanks for the feedback.  Sent them off to Ping today to be reshafted.  Went with the 125tx.  Fingers crossed!  If you see a set on BST then it was a failed experiment lol

Edited by chollier986

• 2 months later...

Here’s my story on MMT. Traded a Byron Morgan custom putter for a set of TM P7MC(old version) with MMT 105tx. I currently play PXi 6.0. The 105tx felt fantastic and very similar(to me) to my 6.0 PXi’s(which is my fav iron shaft of all time). I sold the P7MC set as it wasn’t quite what I wanted. Fast forward 6 months and I now have a TS4 6 iron with the MMT 90(98g), but feel is surprisingly very similar(to me). The biggest difference is it’s easier to turnover than the 105tx but still no big hooks. I find the overall club weight to be too light though(399g) compared to my ap2/PXi(428g). I think MMT 105s is most likely the “perfect” option as I assume it will feel(to me) exactly like the other 2 MMT shafts I’ve tried. Should also get me somewhere in the middle as far as overall weight. I didn’t get the 105tx on trackman etc… but will get MMT 90 when I can as I’d like to see launch and spin numbers. I am a high spin high launch player looking to lower launch just a bit. Might change ball if need be. 

Cobra Darkspeed Ls 8* - Project X HZRDUS 6.0 (matte black)

Titleist TSi2 - Oban Devotion S

Titleist 818H2 (19*) - Oban Devotion S
Titleist AP2 (4-GW) - Project X PXi 6.0
Taylormade MG3 54 and 58
Kari Lajosi DD201 - Gunmetal / Black 303SS / 345g 67.5* / 3.5*

I’m picking up a set of Taylormade P7-TW irons and a set of P770 irons.  I was originally thinking of getting the MMT 105TX in both sets but someone suggested the Ctaper lite X in the TW for more height.  Thoughts?

i happen to like my iron shafts a bit on the stiffer side.  My 6 iron is 90mph and smooth.  I just sold off some ctaper s+125 which were the crazy straight but I knew over the long run, too heavy.

I'm curious guys who are in s and tx in the 125, what is your 6i speed like? Or 7i carry?? 

I'm on the fence about going 125tx. I have a 125s 6i shaft and it feels really nice but does kick quite a bit. Regular 6i speed around 93-95 but I can hit 100 if I needed to. My "fear" is the tx will feel stiff and make me try to over power things which is never good for my iron game. 

I see the EI data on these and just from a statics POV they are very stiff. I pretty much can't use iron shafts that don't have a little loading to them, just something I need for my swing.

On 6/10/2023 at 7:32 PM, Typhoon1992 said:

I’m picking up a set of Taylormade P7-TW irons and a set of P770 irons.  I was originally thinking of getting the MMT 105TX in both sets but someone suggested the Ctaper lite X in the TW for more height.  Thoughts?

i happen to like my iron shafts a bit on the stiffer side.  My 6 iron is 90mph and smooth.  I just sold off some ctaper s+125 which were the crazy straight but I knew over the long run, too heavy.

MMT 105TX launch plenty high IMO.  I have a set of blades and have the 125TX and I get enough height on them.  C-taper lite launch a little higher and spin more than the OG C-taper but are also a little lighter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

12 hours ago, Z1ggy16 said:

I'm curious guys who are in s and tx in the 125, what is your 6i speed like? Or 7i carry?? 

I'm on the fence about going 125tx. I have a 125s 6i shaft and it feels really nice but does kick quite a bit. Regular 6i speed around 93-95 but I can hit 100 if I needed to. My "fear" is the tx will feel stiff and make me try to over power things which is never good for my iron game. 

I see the EI data on these and just from a statics POV they are very stiff. I pretty much can't use iron shafts that don't have a little loading to them, just something I need for my swing.

I'm in the 125TX and my ss with 7 iron is 97 with 190 carry.  The 125TX is stiff on paper but doesn't quite play that way IMO.  I think you have enough speed to handle them.  They also have a little kick to them as well.  If you can handle the X100 then you can handle the 125TX.  

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I’ve played just about all of the major graphite shafts in recent years—Recoils, SF, KBS TGI, Catalyst, etc.  I am a longtime SF i110 guy.  

After some failed trials with the MMT 80 in some PXG irons over the years, I am blown away by the MMT 105 S.  The stability of the SF i110 and i95, the general weight of the i110, yet much more feel and smoother than the SF.  Easy to launch, yet straight and strong ball-flight.  Amazing shafts.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 and 5 Woods, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

Holy crap,   these shafts are amazing.  I was on the verge of quitting golf, didn't realize how piss poor my ctaper x flex were performing.   I was playing Taylor made tour preferred mb 2014 and never seemed to hit them quite well though I loved the feel of the clubs and hit them plenty flush ball.juat inexplicably went nowhere.    Had a daughter 5 1/2 years ago and stopped playing consistently enough to give a damn.    Just started playing a lot again and was getting frustrated with lack of distance and thought it was my age (45 now) and maybe I had lost some swing speed.   Started demoing different clubs and using simulator at PGA store which was new to me.   Began to suspect too much spin with .y irons though I'm saying " I thought c-tapers were some of the lowest spinning heads out there.    

In a drunken stupor of YouTube and ebay rabbit holes 2 weeks ago I came across this thread, and then a set of 2021 p770s with h these shafts in it.  I woke up hungover to find my best offer was accepted!  These were new clubs all but 2 of them still in the wrapper.    They showed up last week and I got them re-gripped  to my midsize grip and lies adjusted.    OMG, these clubs are amazing!  Hit the 7 iron side by side with my 7iron (both are 33°) and spin was way lower, almost 1000 rpm.   Ball speed was 3mph higher with the 770s which probably speaks to the head tech not the shaft but man launch angle was the same  as was decent angle.  I picked up a full 7 yards of carry according to the simulator.    I took it to the course and the results were confirmed. ..absolutely amazing combo..  this is the most excited I've been to play golf in a long time.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BigDaddy77 said:

Holy crap,   these shafts are amazing.  I was on the verge of quitting golf, didn't realize how piss poor my ctaper x flex were performing.   I was playing Taylor made tour preferred mb 2014 and never seemed to hit them quite well though I loved the feel of the clubs and hit them plenty flush ball.juat inexplicably went nowhere.    Had a daughter 5 1/2 years ago and stopped playing consistently enough to give a damn.    Just started playing a lot again and was getting frustrated with lack of distance and thought it was my age (45 now) and maybe I had lost some swing speed.   Started demoing different clubs and using simulator at PGA store which was new to me.   Began to suspect too much spin with .y irons though I'm saying " I thought c-tapers were some of the lowest spinning heads out there.    

In a drunken stupor of YouTube and ebay rabbit holes 2 weeks ago I came across this thread, and then a set of 2021 p770s with h these shafts in it.  I woke up hungover to find my best offer was accepted!  These were new clubs all but 2 of them still in the wrapper.    They showed up last week and I got them re-gripped  to my midsize grip and lies adjusted.    OMG, these clubs are amazing!  Hit the 7 iron side by side with my 7iron (both are 33°) and spin was way lower, almost 1000 rpm.   Ball speed was 3mph higher with the 770s which probably speaks to the head tech not the shaft but man launch angle was the same  as was decent angle.  I picked up a full 7 yards of carry according to the simulator.    I took it to the course and the results were confirmed. ..absolutely amazing combo..  this is the most excited I've been to play golf in a long time.  

I got talked into C-Taper X's for a time. Worst shafts I've ever hit. Nuked my elbow the first time. Literally gave them away. Awful. Glad you're out of them.

On 6/18/2023 at 10:26 AM, phizzy30 said:

If you can handle the X100 then you can handle the 125TX.  

I agree 100%. I’ll be 60 yoa my next birthday and the 125TX is perfect (for me) IMHO. If you find them a bit too much, you can always soft step them. It’s certainly worth buying a 7 iron shaft and giving it an honest try. I think it’ll surprise the helloutofyou.

Edited by nitram