** OFFICIAL REVIEW: MITSUBISHI MMT Iron Shafts ***** FINAL REVIEW Post #2 is UP

J13

• 2 weeks later...

I’m finally about to pull the trigger on these. Coming from x100 in some TC 201’s, hit them fine, just don’t love the weight. Unlike most of you I came up with a set that had DG 105 in them, regular flex which certainly didn’t fit me at all. But after 5 years with those for whatever reason that made anything pushing upper 120s feel like a lead pipe to me.

Carry 7 iron ~175, and am very much an aggressive swinger, although trying to smooth that out lol. 

im heavily leaning toward the 105TX straight in. One question, between that and the 125S, which is my debate, which would swing weight heavier if any?

Edited by Botchio

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/26/2023 at 11:53 AM, BigDaddy77 said:

Holy crap,   these shafts are amazing.  I was on the verge of quitting golf, didn't realize how piss poor my ctaper x flex were performing.   I was playing Taylor made tour preferred mb 2014 and never seemed to hit them quite well though I loved the feel of the clubs and hit them plenty flush ball.juat inexplicably went nowhere.    Had a daughter 5 1/2 years ago and stopped playing consistently enough to give a damn.    Just started playing a lot again and was getting frustrated with lack of distance and thought it was my age (45 now) and maybe I had lost some swing speed.   Started demoing different clubs and using simulator at PGA store which was new to me.   Began to suspect too much spin with .y irons though I'm saying " I thought c-tapers were some of the lowest spinning heads out there.    

In a drunken stupor of YouTube and ebay rabbit holes 2 weeks ago I came across this thread, and then a set of 2021 p770s with h these shafts in it.  I woke up hungover to find my best offer was accepted!  These were new clubs all but 2 of them still in the wrapper.    They showed up last week and I got them re-gripped  to my midsize grip and lies adjusted.    OMG, these clubs are amazing!  Hit the 7 iron side by side with my 7iron (both are 33°) and spin was way lower, almost 1000 rpm.   Ball speed was 3mph higher with the 770s which probably speaks to the head tech not the shaft but man launch angle was the same  as was decent angle.  I picked up a full 7 yards of carry according to the simulator.    I took it to the course and the results were confirmed. ..absolutely amazing combo..  this is the most excited I've been to play golf in a long time.  

I'm glad the thread helped you.  MMT's are a great offering.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

14 hours ago, J13 said:

I'm glad the thread helped you.  MMT's are a great offering.

So when are you gonna throw some MMT's into your SMS's ???

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

• 1 month later...

Anyone have issues with their MMT's shearing at the hosel? I have the 125tx, and within a month of each other, my 7 and 5 shafts splintered apart on a swing. And of course it's not much after the 1 year warranty period expired 🤬

No shenanigans, normal use. I'm not a monster speed swinger (150 9 iron), I don't hit off mats or have time to practice. I play once a week, sometimes twice, usually without a warm up, so there's not a lot of use on them like a typical player. I've only had this happen once with a steel shaft after 15 years of use. Should I even try to call Mitsubishi over this? I dig the shafts, but not if they can't last even one new irons cycle

Screenshot_20231011-165251.png

Screenshot_20231011-165236.png

Edited by enickma
  • Sad 1

I had a similar thing happen to my 9-iron after over a year in-service. I sent a PM here on WRX to Mitsubishi Chemical and they went above and beyond to replace it.

IMG_0095.jpg

• Like 2

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

• 1 month later...

Anyone go from DG105s to these? Not sure whether to try 105S or 125S. My 7i is 165y (P790's) and driver SS around 100. My miss with the DGs are usually left and tend to draw on me, so thinking they might be too light. I like the idea of the 125S but that's a big weight jump, albeit I used to game Modus 120S (were great) and still have them in my wedges.

7 hours ago, pepperonipies said:

Anyone go from DG105s to these? Not sure whether to try 105S or 125S. My 7i is 165y (P790's) and driver SS around 100. My miss with the DGs are usually left and tend to draw on me, so thinking they might be too light. I like the idea of the 125S but that's a big weight jump, albeit I used to game Modus 120S (were great) and still have them in my wedges.

I gamed 105's this past year after DG 105s in my set the previous fall. I moved the 105's over to my travel set and have a second set of MMT pulls waiting to go into my travel set so I like them just fine (I play a lot, don't enjoy elbow issues so as nice as the DG's do feel, they don't make me feel great after a large bucket 😄 )

The MMTs were spot on 105g shafts that barely varied in weight by 1g, where as my DG105R shafts varied a few g of course, some only 101 new so my set of 105's were a few G lighter compared to the MMTs. If you are in DG105S they should be a few g heavier then the R as is. 

If you really want more weight consider the 105TX and just SS them, you will get about 8g more shaft weight and may be a compromise over the 125's. Its good to have heavier options for graphite 😄 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bvanlieu said:

I gamed 105's this past year after DG 105s in my set the previous fall. I moved the 105's over to my travel set and have a second set of MMT pulls waiting to go into my travel set so I like them just fine (I play a lot, don't enjoy elbow issues so as nice as the DG's do feel, they don't make me feel great after a large bucket 😄 )

The MMTs were spot on 105g shafts that barely varied in weight by 1g, where as my DG105R shafts varied a few g of course, some only 101 new so my set of 105's were a few G lighter compared to the MMTs. If you are in DG105S they should be a few g heavier then the R as is. 

If you really want more weight consider the 105TX and just SS them, you will get about 8g more shaft weight and may be a compromise over the 125's. Its good to have heavier options for graphite 😄 

Super helpful, appreciate it. Do you or anyone know if SS x1 or x2 would be closer to bringing it down to a stiff? Adding 8g but making it a stiff sounds perfect over the 125S.

5 hours ago, pepperonipies said:

Super helpful, appreciate it. Do you or anyone know if SS x1 or x2 would be closer to bringing it down to a stiff? Adding 8g but making it a stiff sounds perfect over the 125S.

I think soft step once in the 105tx, if any. A little stiffer/heavier will straighten out your draw a little, as well help eliminate that left miss. Any big box stores around your area that might have these in a used return set that you could hit?

• 3 weeks later...

I just read through most of this 40 page thread.  I’m a really slow swinger by Golfwrx standards — 92 mph with the driver, 5.9 index. 

I just got fitted for PXG 0311p gen 6 irons.  The best two shafts for me were the MMT 70r and the 105s (for whatever reason, the 80s didn’t work for me).  This is the strange part.  The 105s felt softer and more lively in the tip.  The 70r felt very stable in the tip, firm but not harsh on mishits, but only active/lively on the most pure of strikes and only when I felt like I was going after it.  Feel aside, the numbers were great on the 70r, slightly less so on the 105s (I believe I was swinging the 105 two mph slower). 

Anyway, does this make any sense?  Is it possible the 105s could feel softer/more lively but the 70r could perform better?  For what it’s worth, I’m coming from AP1 710s with Nippon 105t reg flex steel shafts.  

Thanks I’m advance for any info. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2023 at 8:53 PM, e-man said:

I just read through most of this 40 page thread.  I’m a really slow swinger by Golfwrx standards — 92 mph with the driver, 5.9 index. 

I just got fitted for PXG 0311p gen 6 irons.  The best two shafts for me were the MMT 70r and the 105s (for whatever reason, the 80s didn’t work for me).  This is the strange part.  The 105s felt softer and more lively in the tip.  The 70r felt very stable in the tip, firm but not harsh on mishits, but only active/lively on the most pure of strikes and only when I felt like I was going after it.  Feel aside, the numbers were great on the 70r, slightly less so on the 105s (I believe I was swinging the 105 two mph slower). 

Anyway, does this make any sense?  Is it possible the 105s could feel softer/more lively but the 70r could perform better?  For what it’s worth, I’m coming from AP1 710s with Nippon 105t reg flex steel shafts.  

Thanks I’m advance for any info. 

Nothing makes sense in golf. That's why being able to hit these, or anything really, is so important. Getting fit usually gives you the answers. If it works, it works

• Like 1

8 hours ago, enickma said:

Nothing makes sense in golf. That's why being able to hit these, or anything really, is so important. Getting fit usually gives you the answers. If it works, it works

True, but I’m 55 and not getting any younger.  I’m thinking, all else being equal, 70 makes more sense than 105 in the long term. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, e-man said:

True, but I’m 55 and not getting any younger.  I’m thinking, all else being equal, 70 makes more sense than 105 in the long term. 

Not necessarily.

For whatever it's worth, just turned 60.  Using that common wisdom, I should be using ever lighter shafts in my irons and woods.  However, I'm still playing 80g and even 90g options in my driver and 3w, and the 80 in my hybrid feels light.  The 90g iron shafts I used for much of 2023 caused me issues.

I don't know that I could go back to 130g DG, but I think 90g is still too light for me.  For the most part.

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

3 hours ago, e-man said:

I agree, but not because of your age, but because of the results you had. While it's good to consider the age aspect going forward, knowing the 70r gave you better overall results takes the guess work out of what's the best option now, and long term. 

FWIW, I just turned 55 in Sept. I splintered my 7i shaft earlier in the year, and thought I'd try the 105tx since I'm not getting any younger. It felt similar, but didn't have quite the same overall results as the 125tx, so I know like you being able to hit and compare is really vital. These shafts have really helped in the joint soreness dept. They feel stout, but don't swing stout

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
30 minutes ago, MrVanillaGorilla said:

Anyone have a swing speed recommendation on these?  Driver SS is 108-110, 7 iron is 90.  Currently swinging $ Taper and highly dislike them.  Liked my C Tapers better.  Hit the 125 Steelfiber and 125 Axiom, both felt amazing.  How does the MMT compare to those?

MMT has more "smooth feel" per weight/flex. 

Axiom is the best of them if tighter dispersion is your goal, but I am gaming MMT now because there is no in-between weight for Axiom. Highly unlikely that you will dislike any of them. All better than any steel shaft in many ways.  Also MMT 105TX is really 113g per or a little over, so soft stepping them once made them a very good fit for me

Edited by Golfinfloridaafter40
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR3 - Hzrdus T1100 Hulk

Sub 70 949 Pro Hybrid 19 and 22* - Recoil Dart 95x

Srixon ZX7 - MMT's 105TX SSx1

Sub 70 JB Forged 48*, 52*, 56*, 60*- MMT Scoring

PXG Gen2 Mini Gunboat

1 hour ago, Golfinfloridaafter40 said:

MMT has more "smooth feel" per weight/flex. 

Axiom is the best of them if tighter dispersion is your goal, but I am gaming MMT now because there is no in-between weight for Axiom. Highly unlikely that you will dislike any of them. All better than any steel shaft in many ways.  Also MMT 105TX is really 113g per or a little over, so soft stepping them once made them a very good fit for me

Thank you for the response.  I would think the 125 stiff would be good for me, sucks not being able to try first.  

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 5:09 PM, enickma said:

Anyone have issues with their MMT's shearing at the hosel? I have the 125tx, and within a month of each other, my 7 and 5 shafts splintered apart on a swing. And of course it's not much after the 1 year warranty period expired 🤬

No shenanigans, normal use. I'm not a monster speed swinger (150 9 iron), I don't hit off mats or have time to practice. I play once a week, sometimes twice, usually without a warm up, so there's not a lot of use on them like a typical player. I've only had this happen once with a steel shaft after 15 years of use. Should I even try to call Mitsubishi over this? I dig the shafts, but not if they can't last even one new irons cycle

Screenshot_20231011-165251.png

Screenshot_20231011-165236.png

I've been very tardy in responding back to you all. I contacted Mitsubishi about this, not expecting a replacement, but to ask has this shearing been an issue with others. I told them I love these shafts, but didn't want to keep having to replace them if it continued to happen. They responded immediately saying they hadn't had this happen to others. They asked many questions so they could go to R&D and bring up any possible defects. We figured out I had some ferrules changed, and this happened to 2 of them. You can't treat these like steel shafts. If you use too much heat and/or twist, it could compromise the graphite. They were VERY generous in the replacements. They didn't have to, but they stand behind their products and customers. Always great in this day and age that customer support still exists 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

it took me 3 days to read this. Should i get the MMT 105

• Haha 2

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

21 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

it took me 3 days to read this. Should i get the MMT 105

Maybe. What do you think?

• Haha 1

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

1 hour ago, karstens_ghost said:

Maybe. What do you think?

seriously 40 pages and now im more confused. I ordered a 95s MMT today to demo, i guess thats a start

• Like 1

Just got fit for MMT 70 R in PXG 0211 XCor2 irons (only have 1 - 9 hole round in.  Stupid rain).  Just turned 57 and coming from TM Sim2 Max with KBS Max 85 S.  They (MMT) just feel so nice.....

Going through some swing changes both physically and philosophically.  Started reading and following the teaching of Manuel Dela Torre, Ernest Jones, etc.  So freeing.  Anyway, They had me swinging at least 5-8 different shafts over the 90 minute fitting at PXG in New Rochelle.  The MMT 70 R just performed and felt the best for me.  Can't wait to get into the full swing of the season!

anyone compare MMT to recoil? I ordered an MMT 95s to demo because i have never tried it yet but really didnt like Recoil and Steeliber felt harsh

• Like 1

I posted this elsewhere but thought maybe this topic would be more appropriate. I hate to be this guy but I recently placed an order with the mmt in 80 regular. I’m coming from px lz in 5.5 with a swing speed around 75-80 with seven iron. Ping couldn’t hard step I’m told. I’m excited but I can’t help but wonder if I should have gone stiff. Thoughts appreciated. Only available fitting was at GG and it wasn’t comprehensive shall we 

PING Rapture V2 with BB
PING Crossover - 3
PING Eye 2 + Becu 3-W with DG AMT S300
PING Eye 2 XG Sand and Lob wedges
PING Chipo!
PING Pal - Karsten