2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

What club(s) did you hit and were completely blown away by, good or bad?

TXTrapLord

There was a Ping demo day a few months ago at our course, I was hitting the Crossover 410 17* with the Ping Tour 85X an absolutely stupid long distance.

I asked the rep to build a 410 LST 3 wood as a comparison, kid you not the Crossover was 15-20 yards longer. I still get asked by people if I bought that club.

Ping G410 Hybrid in the flat setting. I have always struggled with hooking hybrids. The G410 hybrid is an absolute game changer.

Titleist Tsi3 8* HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX

Callaway Epic Flash FW 17* PX HZRDUS Smoke
Callaway Apex Pro Hybrid 19* Ventus Blue
Callaway Apex Pro 5-PW Nippon Modus Pro
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL GW KBS $ Taper
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56*/10* DG Spinner
Callaway Mack Daddy PM 60*/12* KBS Hi Rev 2.0
Byron Morgan DH89
Taylormade TP5x

Bought 2 second hand MD irons to complete a half set for the few times I play at home. Including photo coz not sure tungsten Ti2 is the model name. If anyone knows more details, appreciated.

r5yf78tlb388.jpg

Holy smoke.. LOOOOONG, HIIIIIGH.. checked it was indeed a 7i I was hitting. I am used to GI irons with strong lofts etc but these are another level. Wish I had a full set. No lookers but krikey..!

Another that instantly impressed is M1 2017 4 hybrid. Great club.

Bag 1: 2h: Srixon ZX4h: TM M1 ('17) ; Irons: MD Golf 7i & 9i, Wedges: RTX full face 52o & 58o; Putter: Spalding Pro Flite

Bag 2: 3h: Nickent 3dx; 3i: Cobra One-Length utility; 7i: TM M4; 8/9i: Inesis 500; Wedges: AW: TM RSi (50o); Cleveland RTX full face 54o; RTX 588 60o; Putter: Ping

Mizuno T-Zoid irons.

Growing up playing baseball, I had a Mizuno glove and bat, but didn't really know much about Mizuno golf equipment. The T-Zoids were on the used rack at Golfsmith for about $200. Took them into the bay and WOW! I've been playing forged irons ever since.

The Vokey wedges in my current bag. First time I was ever really able to control a wedge and make the ball stop where I wanted.

• Like 1

Driver: Wishon 919THI,  Matrix Radix 7321, 75g
3W, 5W:  Wishon 929HS, Matrix Kujoh, 75g
4-P: Mizuno MP 18, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120, S
Wedges: Vokey SM7:  50*, 54*, 60*
Odyssey Pro Type 4 HT Blade

> @gators78 said:

> There was a Ping demo day a few months ago at our course, I was hitting the Crossover 410 17* with the Ping Tour 85X an absolutely stupid long distance.

>

> I asked the rep to build a 410 LST 3 wood as a comparison, kid you not the Crossover was 15-20 yards longer. I still get asked by people if I bought that club.

I hear this often. With my pining over the Blueprints, I might just go full Ping at this point...what the hell happened to me.

> @TXTrapLord said:

> > @cflo2382 said:

> > I've been testing out the PING Glide 2.0 Stealth wedges the last couple of weeks and have been completely blown away. I am a long time Vokey guy and played some Miura wedges this year, too. These wedges are fantastic!

> >

> >

>

> While I was murdering the Blue Print's my guy at the PGA SS said I should look into the Glides. I am cleared hot by the Mrs to spend at least 2k for a new set of irons (she said I was good to go with PXGs). I hit Vokey now, what is different? I'm completely a feel guy.

The first part is almost my answer, except the Mrs would never let that fly. Also, a used set of Blueprints are $900 at the PGATSS near me (NJ). In great shape.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

> @sshadow2 said:

> > @TXTrapLord said:

> > > @cflo2382 said:

> > > I've been testing out the PING Glide 2.0 Stealth wedges the last couple of weeks and have been completely blown away. I am a long time Vokey guy and played some Miura wedges this year, too. These wedges are fantastic!

> > >

> > >

> >

> > While I was murdering the Blue Print's my guy at the PGA SS said I should look into the Glides. I am cleared hot by the Mrs to spend at least 2k for a new set of irons (she said I was good to go with PXGs). I hit Vokey now, what is different? I'm completely a feel guy.

>

> The first part is almost my answer, except the Mrs would never let that fly. Also, a used set of Blueprints are $900 at the PGATSS near me (NJ). In great shape.

New?!

edit: Nevermind, I can't read this early in the morning.

My new TM Hi-Toe wedge. Had it custom fit (longer/more upright) and suddenly everything around the green is easier for me. Confidence increases, it gets easier still and confidence increases. You know how it works.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue St Max LS 9'
Titleist 915F 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 70 15
Callaway Apex Pro 24 3,4,5 iron
Callaway Apex Pro CB 6 - 11 iron 
Vokey SM8 x 2
Scotty Cameron Newport

Good - Srixon ZU85 2 iron is an absolute rocket and super easy to hit!

Bad - Every hybrid I've ever owned wanted to hook off the planet unless I felt like I was hitting a wipe slice! (I'm sure there are great ones but I've never had one I liked)

Throw Back Good - TM R580XD - everyone at my club played that driver forever!

Throw Back Bad - Wilson Invex Driver, (there was a reason the used rack was full of them!)

I was blown away by how bad this generation of stock shafts in drivers are for 2018-2020. All the Tensei Blue, Orange and Whites, EvenFlow White or Black, Hzrdus Smoke or Yellow, all terrible. I'll be keeping my Aldila Rogue Black 70 X for the foreseeable future and just grabbing heads off of eBay.

• Like 1

I was away from the game for years due to back operations and everything has blown me away. Just in 9 years drivers have really came a long ways. I’m most impressed by the Ping G400 LST. I left the game playing a Ping driver with a avg 285 and came back to a G400 LST and easily driving 305 and I’m older and my swing has slowed down. And it’s accurate. The other thing is Sacks Parente Mallet putters and the old school blade design they are making. No putter has felt so good or rolled em so straight so effortlessly. I played Nike Vr blade/cavity combo irons when I got hurt and have came back to so many great options and can’t believe the distance the P790 provides to the avg everyday player. But hands down IMO Mizuno has taken the top spot for irons. The JPX Forged is unreal in every way. The forgiveness and feel they provide in a decent sized head blew me away. And now I got to hit the MP-20 blades and they feel amazing and so accurate but my games not exactly up to par to take that leap just yet but wow they feel incredible. And how do you not mention this HMB for a long iron option. Mizuno hands down owns the top spot for irons. Last thing would be the technology available to us. It was rare to get trackman time and getting fit was not as widely used. Now for $600 we can carry a mini trackman around with us and have golf grips that keep track of every shot. I can’t wait to see what the next 10 yrs brings. We will all be driving it 350 and two putts will only be something talked about in history books. I had to edit this post because how could I not mention the M6 fairway wood. Holly crap it has to be the best fairway ever made.

A few years back, the first range session with a set of Srixon 945's I bought on a whim on Black Friday and reshafted with Nippon Modus 120X's to try. After about 15-20 swings getting used to the weight and kick difference between the Modus and C-Tapers I'd been playing, the combo of Srixon forged heads and Modus 120 was like a revelation. I never had the experience of having the ball just melt into the face like it did, it literally felt like good strikes I was hitting air. The Srixons lasted a year or 2, but the Modus 120X's have been in every iron set I've owned since.

• Like 1

[b]Driver[/b]: [color=#0000ff]TM SIM 9*, Fuji Ventus Black 6X[/color]
[b]Fairway Wood: [color=#0000ff]TM SIM 14*, Fuji Ventus Blue 7X[/color]
[b]Hybrid[/b]: [color=#0000ff]TM SIM Max 19*, Tensei Pro White 90S[/color]
[b]4-9 iron[/b]: [color=#0000ff]Miura CB57, KBS C-Taper Lite X[/color] 
[b]PW, GW[/b]: [color=#0000ff]Titleist SM8, KBS C-Taper Lite X[/color]
[b]Sand, Lob[/b]: [color=#0000ff]Titleist SM8, Dynamic Gold 120 S400 Tour Issue[/color]
[b]Putter[/b]: [color=#0000ff]Toulon Las Vegas, Stroke Lab[/color] 
[b]Ball[/b]: [color=#0000ff]Titleist ProV1, Titleist AVX

TM Original One. Just awesome.

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

> @gators78 said:

> There was a Ping demo day a few months ago at our course, I was hitting the Crossover 410 17* with the Ping Tour 85X an absolutely stupid long distance.

>

> I asked the rep to build a 410 LST 3 wood as a comparison, kid you not the Crossover was 15-20 yards longer. I still get asked by people if I bought that club.

Can I ask you how long you think you were hitting it? Every time I pick it up at the shop I'm like: "Dear lord, why did they make this so long?" Its 40 3/8 inches long in the 17*. I cannot even imagine how far that might go. I typically hit my steel shafted 2 iron about 240. I'm wondering if the Crossover might go TOO far.

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

> @TXTrapLord said:

> > @jumboross said:

> > My new TM Hi-Toe wedge. Had it custom fit (longer/more upright) and suddenly everything around the green is easier for me. Confidence increases, it gets easier still and confidence increases. You know how it works.

>

> did you feel wedge fitting was worth it?

For me it was. My specs are quite a long way from standard. It's easier for me to strike it now.

Callaway Rogue St Max LS 9'
Titleist 915F 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 70 15
Callaway Apex Pro 24 3,4,5 iron
Callaway Apex Pro CB 6 - 11 iron 
Vokey SM8 x 2
Scotty Cameron Newport

Any of the Adams tour stuff...I built a TI Tight Lies Tour 18* on a whim (it was cheap!), and it has been insane for me! I've always loved the CB2s, the XTD fairways and DHy protos. They aren't always pretty, but they work! More recent finds were the ST190 driver and ST190 TS 3w. I loved the look and sound of the driver, but to hit it was life changing!

• Like 1

10.5* TI Cally Rogue ST TD S GD AD DI-6(x)
15* TI Cally Epic Speed GD AD IZ-7(x)

18* TI Cally Rogue ST  Matrix Code-7 (s) or 8M2 (x)

24* Cally 2014 Apex UT Matrix Altus (s)
5-PW Cally Apex Pro 19 Double Dot Raw Matte Black Nippon Modus 105 (s)

50* Cleveland RTX Black Matte Black Nippon Modus 105 (s)
54*/10 Cleveland RTX Tour Rack TI DG Spinner
58*/9 Cleveland RTX Full Face Tour Rack TI DG Spinner
34" Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 * 35" Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

35"Odyssey O-Works V-Line Fang CH * 35" Odyssey Works 7 CH (Schauffele treatment by Continental Golf)

Good: 2019 Callaway Apex irons with x-stiff shafts are a long term commit for me and 2018 Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 with pistol grip gives me confidence on every putt especially 15’ and in

Bad: hot spots on TM RocketBladez were too much for me to deal with ... looking back I’m glad I switched to forged TM RSi TPs for last 4.5 seasons

Excited to replace 5 yr old driver, 3W and 2 hybrid this winter ... eyeing Epic Flash, Rogue, and Ping G410 LST

> @Rebbutt said:

> Good: 2019 Callaway Apex irons with x-stiff shafts are a long term commit for me and 2018 Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 with pistol grip gives me confidence on every putt especially 15’ and in

>

> Bad: hot spots on TM RocketBladez were too much for me to deal with ... looking back I’m glad I switched to forged TM RSi TPs for last 4.5 seasons

>

> Excited to replace 5 yr old driver, 3W and 2 hybrid this winter ... eyeing Epic Flash, Rogue, and Ping G410 LST

How do those Apex's feel off the face?

G400 LST with a Tensei Pro Orange shaft (thanks Tollbros). After working with the shaft and settings for a few month, I found the absolute best driver I ever played. Doubled my average FIR, and in the process lowered my index to the best it's ever been. Complete game changer.... no to see if the 410 LST can supplant it in the offseason :-)

[list]
[*][size=4][b][color=#0000ff]Ping G410 LST, Mitsubishi Tensei Orange Pro [/color][/b][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 wood, Mitsubishi Diamana BF[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 hybrid, Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Pro[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][b]Titleist T200 5-9 KBS Tour Flt [/b][/size]
[*][size=4][b][color=#daa520]Callaway MD5 45,49,54,58/[/color]
[*][color=#b22222][b][size=4]TP Mills Trad II Hand Forged [/size][/b][/color]
[/list]

Astounded with my initial experience with PXG 0211 irons with MMT shafts. I went into a free promotional fitting with absolute ZERO intention of buying anything. I had just shots a personal best 79 within the past month so new irons were not a consideration. After 30 minutes, I knew I was going to buy them. Felt better than my W/S V4 Forged, were a club to a club and a half longer and had much better dispersion.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

For me it's the Mizuno 919 tours, I'm currently testing them in the long irons vs Titleist 718 CBs and there's a huge difference.

They're exactly the same specs but the 919s launch higher and spin more which for me is huge.

Driver - Taylormade SIM 10.5°

3 wood - Titleist 910f 15°

Hybrid- Titleist 910h°

Irons - Mizuno 919 Tour 4 - PW

Wedges - Titleist SM7 51 / 55 / 60 DG

Putter - Yes! Callie

Ball - Titleist Pro v1x

• 2 weeks later...

> @TXTrapLord said:

> How do those Apex's feel off the face?

Center hits: pure and solid like a forged blade with appropriate level of spin (my angle of attack is in range of -2* to -10* range depending on what shot I'm trying to hit) using Project X 6.0 shafts

Off-center hits: definitely get feedback, but not funnybone-jarring contact

Note: just had a G.E.A.R.S. session and learned that lie on all my irons should be adjusted from +1* to +3* ... current 1* lie is contributing to hits on toe-side of center