My Road to Improvement - swing video 3/15/24

bortass

The senior men's group I sometimes play with had a tourney today at the sister course. I spit the bit and shot a net 81. An even 100 for GHIN. I struggled in all aspects of my game. It was a bit disappointing to be honest. I know to not expect to play good golf but it was just rough out there.

I'll start off with 42 putts with five 3 putts and a 4 putt. The greens were very slow and I just couldn't adjust. Another guy that plays my home course a lot was in my group and was having the same problem. Sometimes I'd leave it short and other times blow it 6-7 feet past the hole. 

Tee shots were an adventure. I had a number of 4w shanks. Hit it off the heel and the ball went short and very left. Also had some tops with it.

The good tee shots with it were very good though, 222 yards, 209 yards, 221 yards, 218 yards. That's comparable to my driver, lol.

Speaking of driver, I tried it on one hole. I hit a snap slice. The ball started way right and curved way right, almost immediately. I wouldn't have been surprised if the ball was travelling 90* from where I was trying to go.

Only two pars and the first was on the 15th hole I played.

It wasn't all doom and gloom, even if that's what I make it sound like.

I did have 6 GIRs and a few very solid iron shots. I just couldn't get things going out there.

Edited by bortass

On 5/2/2023 at 6:54 PM, bortass said:

I always thought that too but was wrong at the same time. I thought I would unlock more distance by making better contact and I've seen that once in a while on the course. When I hit it more flush and I get an extra 10-20 yards. Makes perfect sense. 

What I didn't grasp is I wasn't making a full swing. I've been playing golf with a partial swing this entire time, lol. I hit one of my stock push fades with 9i while Monte was watching during the playing lesson. His comment was that I didn't bring it back far enough, so I didn't have time to get the club in position at impact.

It's going to be a bit of a wild ride but I'm excited to see what happens when I get better at taking a full backswing.

I'm late to this party, but I'm so glad that it went well, buddy. It's interesting Monte got you making a fuller turn because I seem to recall you suggesting that your RoM was limited. It just goes to show that he's often correct in saying that RoM is rarely the issue. 

On 5/15/2023 at 8:59 PM, SNIPERBBB said:

Sounds like things are going through direction for you. I would likely consider doing some more dedicated driver sessions at the rangs

Yeah, I feel I have a more concrete plan on what to work on and what I'm trying to accomplish. Monte told us all that what he's pointing out is the first thing we to change in our swings. It wasn't the only thing that eventually needs to get fixed though. Makes sense to me from my work background. Fixing one issue tends to uncover the next one in the chain, lol.

It's nice to have an idea of what to also fix with regard to short game and putting. Throw in the technique to hit specific shots, and you have a fair bit of stuff to use to improve on course results. For example, I have used the 4Ls a few times now to hit under/through trees with great results. It keeps the ball low and it doesn't seem to start as offline as what I had been doing in the past. That doesn't mean I can be foolhardy in the trees but I have a solid way of getting out now that advances the ball a reasonable distance.

As for the driver, I think it's gonna take a while to get it under control. But I did work on it some more. It'll make a big difference I think when I finally get it sorted out enough to be able to feel good about using it on the course.

On 5/15/2023 at 9:40 PM, ericg33 said:

Thanks. Video/feedback are critical to improving movement patterns. The feel vs real issue is strong and it is amazing sometimes to see what you think is drastic change actually not really all that different on video.  

Yup, I will try to get some video next week. 

11 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

I'm late to this party, but I'm so glad that it went well, buddy. It's interesting Monte got you making a fuller turn because I seem to recall you suggesting that your RoM was limited. It just goes to show that he's often correct in saying that RoM is rarely the issue. 

Good to see you again! You haven't really missed anything but me fumbling around per usual pre-clinic. Post clinic is a brave new world! Full of challenges and optimism!

You are correct on RoM. I guess I just used being middle aged and over weight as an excuse. He hammered the RoM with all of use a few times and had a few of us do a couple different things to prove his point. The RoM issue with my swing has a fair bit to do with my lack of understanding. Having read and hearing 'overswinging is bad' over the years, I never really got to the point I was even making a full swing. So I always thought I was good in that regard, lol.

Practice this week was two days, Thursday and today. Played Tuesday and work interfered with Wednesday. 

Thursday was on matts, so I worked on my driver for my full swing segment. It was messy to say the least. I hit a couple solid ones but most were fairly bad mishits. The good ones were very nice but they seem too rare for me to feel good about using driver like I had in the past. Of course if I shank the 4w, I may as well have hit my driver, lol.

Today, I used my 8i and worked on the Cast A drill. I want to try to work on the wrists once a week. All full swings are with the intent to make a bigger backswing. I do much better with an 8i and longer swing than I do the driver. Makes sense though since driver is the hardest one to hit. Really felt good with the progress.

I didn't work on putting either day. Instead i used that block of time to practice bump and run chips with an iron. I noticed the last few rounds that I hit was mishitting them, so they'd come up short. My focus was just on contact and I worked out a couple of things over the two sessions. I need to take the same approach as I do with a UTB chip/pitch and keep my hips quiet. It also helps if I feel pressure of the handle in my fingers when I'm in the downswing. It's something I equate with 'lag' from when I used the PBS many years ago. I can't really explain it well but I recognize it when it happens. It's a feeling I never have in my full swing. It just shows up in chips and sometimes pitches. 

Two rounds planned this weekend depending on weather. I'm not expecting much out there score wise but I'm looking forward to it. I'm doing better in bits and pieces, so I'm curious to see what those are this weekend.

• Like 1

Played twice this weekend. Here's the Saturday write-up. Sunday to follow later.

1 – par 4, 404 yards, straight, #1 HCP, bunker front right. Drive is a slight push fade, 223 yards, into the stand of trees on the right side. I have a clear path out and use the 4Ls and my 5i to hit a solid shot out. The ball was probably never more than 4-5 feet off the ground but went 158 yards with roll out. That set me up 9in the fairway just short of the green on the left side. I use my SW to hit a 30 yard chip about 10 feet left of the hole. I have a two putt for bogey, 5.

2 – par 3, 142 yards, #17 HCP, bunkers short left and right, and long left. The markers are back some and it's playing 140ish toi center instead of the 130ish it normally is. I use 7i and hit a low thin pull, 114 yards, into the left rough short of the front left bunker. I have a UTB pitch with SW and blade it 46 yards over the green... I try a chip with 8i and leave it short, sigh. Now I chip with my putter to a foot and have a double bogey, 5.

That sucked.

3 – par 5, 458 yards, dogleg right, #9 HCP, couple of fairway bunkers on the left at the corner. I set-up on the right side of the tee box and hit driver. It's a bad push fade into the right trees. I don't find the ball and drop on it's line, 193 yards off the tee box, and add a 2 stroke penalty.

From there I hit an okay 4w, 171 yards, to get me about 80 yards from center. I go with a partial SW and push it short and right of the green, 72 yards. I chip with putter to 4 feet and make the putt to 'save' a double bogey, 7.

TBH, I'm happy with a double bogey when I have a 2 stroke penalty. That's realistically the best outcome I can hope for.

4 – par 4, 293 yards, straight, #15 HCP, water left and OoB right. Right side has a slope. There's a fairway bunker on the right. I leave driver in the bag and hit my 4w off the tee. It's a high draw, 201 yards, i9nto the right side of the fairway. The hole is back left and long and bad.

PW would get me near the hole but I don't like the risk of going long. So I go with my AW and if I hit it real good, I'll be closer to the cup w/o the risk of going long unless I blade it. Contact is a touch heavy and it's a high shot, 84 yards, onto the right side of the green, 30 feet below the hole.

Not great but perfectly fine, I'm putting. I hit the putt pretty good and it's tracking at the hole and dies in the cup for birdie, 3!

5- par 5, 501 yards, dogleg right, #5 HCP, hazard down the left side. There's a slope on the right side which makes the fairway narrow in the landing spot. A stream runs down the right side from the corner to near the green.

I tee off with 4w again and hit a lowest pull, 166 yards, and almost into the left trees. The ball is sitting fine in the rough and a 4w will clear the corner. I mishit it though. A very low, thin, push fade into the right hazard at the corner... No ball and I drop, 158 yards closer. There's no shot at the green from here, so I hit a partial PW, 99 yards, to get into the fairway and in wedge range.

I hit a decent partial SW, 78 yards, and onto the green. I'm 15 feet right of the cup and it's a two putt, double bogey, 7.

That was unfortunate.

6 – par 4, 367 yards, slight dogleg left, #7 HCP. Medium width landing area with a bunker on the left. Houses are on the right and there's a sharp slope into the left trees if you end up too far into the left rough.

Stick with the 4w and hit a great looking draw down the left side that makes it to the down slope. 220 yard shot and I'm in the fairway. I have a 7i to center and hit a nice looking shot, 142 yards, onto the green, 16 feet right and past the cup. I miss the birdie putt and have a two footer for par, which I make, 4.

7 – par 4, 351 yards, slight dogleg right, #11 HCP, elevated tee shot to a wide open fairway that slopes down right to left all the way to about the 100 yard marker. Bunkers on the left marking the corner and a slope on the right.

This fairway is fairly wide, so I feel okay hitting driver. It's a push fade down the right side, 256 yards, into the fairway. The balls above my feet and it's a back right hole, about 100 yards. I don't want to hit PW and go long, so I go with my AW. It's a solid shot but I pull it. 94 yards and over the back left of the green. I chip with 9i to 10 feet past the cup. It's a two putt bogey, 5.

8 – par 3, 160 yards, elevated tee shot, #13 HCP, bunker on the right side of the green. Slope to the right of this hole that is weed whacked. So it's long stuff and wild. Balls can get lost here. The hole is middle left and I decide to hit 8i. It's a slight push, 151 yards, into the right rough.

I decide to chip with the 9i again because of the amount of rough I need to get through. I hit this one a bit better and only go 5 feet long (20 yard chip). I make the par putt, 3!

9 – par 4, 357 yards, straight hole, #3 HCP, water on the left as you approach the green. The pond fronts this green. #1 to my right, so I hit driver. It's a push fade, 225 yards, into the left rough of #1. I have to go over or through some mature pines to reach the green.

I don't think I can hit it high enough to go over, so I take my 5i and hit the 4L shot. It's another real low one that makes it through the trees and manages to roll onto the green. My ball rolls all the way to the front left, 142 yard shot, and I'm 48 feet left of the cup.

I have to putt over a slight mound and don't aim high enough/hit it firm enough. My ball breaks early and I end up 6 feet out, below the cup. I miss the par putt but have a bogey, 5.

I'll take a bogey any day on this hole.

10 – par 4, 342 yards, dogleg left, #10 HCP hole. Elevated tee shot to a lower fairway. Green is elevated with a bunker front right. I pull my 4w into the left trees. No sign of the ball and I drop under them, 138 yards off the tee. No shot at the green, so I layup with a nice PW shot, 102 yards, into the fairway below the green. It's 90ish yards and I hit a nice AW, 89 yards, to 4 feet. I miss the putt, double bogey, 6.

Oh well.

11 – par 4, 329 yards, 90* dogleg left, #12 HCP. Fairway eventually slopes down to a stream short of the green, forced carry. I tee off with the normal 7w and am too steep. I hit a pop up, 132 yards, into the fairway. Looking things over I have a shot at the green with my 4w over the stream. I hit a solid, low draw, that misses the green left and ends up going just past the left side bunker, 204 yard shot.

I'm above the green and have to go over said bunker. I hit a UTP pitch with my LW and it comes out pretty good. It lands past the bunker and rolls onto the green and stops 8 feet short of the hole. I sink the par putt, 4.

12 – par 4, 315 yards, 90* dogleg left, #14 HCP, green is elevated. Narrow tee shot that opens as you reach the corner. I use my normal 4w tee shot and hit a decent draw down the left side, 197 yards. The hole is on the left and I hit AW. It's a good shot, 94 yards, almost pin high and 15 feet to the left. I hit the birdie putt and it catches the lip, high side, but doesn't drop. So it's a par, 4.

13 – par 3, 123 yards, #18 HCP, green is elevated with bunkers short right and left and long left. Tiered green as well. The tees are back some and it's 130ish to center. I hit my 8i and it's a decent shot that goes 126 yards onto the green. I'm 27 feet below the hole and putting up a tier. I hit a pretty good putt that dies almost pin high but 2 feet low. I make the par putt, 3.

14 – par 5, 543, straight hole, #4 HCP. Elevated teeshot to wide open fairway. Fairway slopes down left to right, water on the right closer to the green and fronting the entire green.

Another wide fairway and I hit driver. It's a pretty good, high draw, down the left side, 257 yards. I'm in the left rough and it's a bit more of a down slope than I feel good about using my 4w from. I hit 5i instead and it's a low shot, 157 yards, into the middle of the fairway, just past the 150 marker.

The hole is middle right, near the pond. I decide on 6i and aim left, towards center. It's a chunk...the ball goes 99 yards and luckily stays out of the pond.... I decide to hit a low pitch with my SW and it's okay. I hit it onto the green, 55 yards, but 40 feet past the cup. I hit the par putt and blow it 8 feet long, crap!

I sink the next one though, bogey, 6.

That chunk cost me but again, bogey is great for me.

15 – par 4, 264 yards, straight, #16 HCP. Elevated tee shot to a fairway that is always soft abd cart path only year round. Fairway bunkers on left side in line with the green. Bunker surround this green except for the left side.

I hit 4w off the tee and it's a great looking draw that goes over the rightmost fairway bunker, 214 yards. I'm in the rough with a clear line at the green and hit a 7i bump and run. It's a 47 yard shot that gets on the green but I'm a bit past the hole but 20 feet right of it.

My putting falls apart and the birdie putt goes 9 feet long. It's a quad putt, for double bogey, 6.

Sigh.

16 – par 3, 147 yards, #8 HCP. Elevated green with a forced stream carry. Bunkers short right and long left and middle. Tiered green with a strong back left to front right slope. Middle front flag and I want to hit my 140 club to make sure I get on. I blade my 7i and it's low and left, 111, yards and just to the left of the front bunker. I chip with 9i, 27 yards, to a foot and get my par, 3!

17 – par 4, 363 yards, dogleg left, #6 HCP. Fairly open fairway with bunkers on the right at the corner. Green has a tier and heavily slopes left to right, can putt off this green... Bunkers short of the green as well. I pull my 4w into the left trees but it gets kicked out, 166 yards. I have a shot at the green and it's 160ish yards to center. I use 5i and chunk it some, the ball goes 148 yards and short of the right most bunker.

I have a clear path between bunkers at the hole and chip with my 7i. I do okay and end up 8 feet to the left of the hole. I miss the par putt but make the two footer for bogey, 5.

18 – par 5, 504 yards, straightish, #2 HCP. There is a stream carry on either the second or third shot. There is also a pond fronting the green... I decide to tee off with driver and it's steep... I hit a 122 yard pop-up that almost goes into the right trees. I don't have a great lie because of long weeds etc and hack the ball about 7 yards, with my 5i. This gets my ball into play and I lay-up with a 146 yards 5i, short of the stream.

I have a 4w into the green, over stream and pond. I've hit this shot a number of times and I top it into the stream. I'll just stop here because I end up shanking two irons into the pond and pick up. I card a 9 for GHIN which is NDB.

Well that sucked.

A 44/46* 90 for GHIN. Reality is a higher if I had finished 18. This was a great round. A 90 with a 9 is pretty good for me. I didn't blow up until 18 which was quite nice. I still don't count doubles as a blow up. Someday I will but I'm not there yet.

I felt good out there and putting was much better. I feel confidence growing based on what I'm starting to see unfold on course post clinic. More to come after I write up Sunday's round.

birdies: 1

pars: 6

bogeys: 5

double bogeys: 5

triple+: 1

Some stats:

Avg drive: 194 yards

Longest drive: 257 yards

Fairways: 7/14

GIR: 6/18

Avg Approach: 115 yards

Up & down: 4/9!

Putts: 33(assuming a 2 putt on 18 when I picked up)

Strokes gained compared to a 12 HCP. 

Overall: -8.3 strokes

driving: -4.1, 3 from penalties

Approach: -5.8

Short game: +1.8

Putting: -0.2, which is a nice improvement.

Edited by bortass
  • Like 1

Sunday's round

1 – par 4, 404 yards, straight, #1 HCP, bunker front right. My drive is another push into the stand of trees on the right, 213 yards.

I have a decent gap to hit through and use the 4Ls and my 5i to advance the ball 125 yards towards the green. I'm now in the fairway and it's a back left flag. I decide on the partial LW since my SW risks going long. I hit a decent shot and it's a high draw, 68 yards, onto the green. I'm 24 feet below the hole and miss the par putt. I make the two footer that remained for bogey, 5.

A bogey is always good on this hole, so far so good.

2 – par 3, 142 yards, #17 HCP, bunkers short left and right, and long left. Like yesterday, it's playing 140ish to center with a back left pin position. I go with 7i and completely mishit it. Hit it fat and off the toe. The divot was inside the tee...

It's a very low shot that goes a mighty 97 yards. I have to go over a bunker and figure SW with UTB pitch. I blade it into the back rough. Two days in a row I mess up short game shots on this hole....

I can chip with my putter and hit it a touch firm. The ball misses the hole and stops 6 feet past. I'm putting up slope now and sink it for bogey, 4.

3 – par 5, 458 yards, dogleg right, #9 HCP, couple of fairway bunkers on the left at the corner. Driver stays in the bag and I hit 4w. It's a nice draw 212 yards into the middle of the fairway. I have a clear line at the green, so it's 4w off the deck and I nail it. 211 yards and I'm within 20 yards of the front left edge of the green.

It's a front left flag and I hit a bump and run with my PW. A 21 yard chip that ends up 9 feet past the hole. Oh well, a bit too much but it's a GIR. I miss the birdie putt and have a 1 footer for par, 5.

4 – par 4, 293 yards, straight, #15 HCP, water left and OoB right. Right side has a slope. There's a fairway bunker on the right. I use 4w again and hit it a bit high. It's a draw but only goes 189 yards into the fairway on the right side.

The hole is back right and a partial PW should get me on near the center of the green. I blade it instead. 125 yards and I'm over the back of the green.

My ball is in some decent rough and I have to chip up a slope with the green running away from it at the top. I try a bump and run chip with my 9i and don't make good contact. It comes up short of the green in the fringe. I use my putter now and get it to a foot and secure a bogey, 5.

5- par 5, 501 yards, dogleg right, #5 HCP, hazard down the left side. There's a slope on the right side which makes the fairway narrow in the landing spot. A stream runs down the right side from the corner to near the green.

I shank my 4w into the left hazard about 30 yards off the tee. I'll just end it there. I drop and lose another two balls on my way to the green. So it's an X and an 8 for GHIN.

6 – par 4, 367 yards, slight dogleg left, #7 HCP. Medium width landing area with a bunker on the left. Houses are on the right and there's a sharp slope into the left trees if you end up too far into the left rough. I stay with 4w and hit a pop up push slice OOB. I hit a provisional, decent draw 184 yards, into the fairway. I find my first ball in some landscaping. I see one white stake in front of me but not the one towards the tees, so I don't know if I'm OOB or if the homeowners extended a bed onto the edge of the course.

I assume OOB and grab my ball and head for the provisional. It's a middle back hole and I'm 180ish from center. I hit a nice looking 7w right at the green and I get on, 180 yards. I'm 29 feet below the hole putting up a pretty decent slope. I miss and get to about 3 feet. I make that putt for a double bogey, 6.

I'm okay with a double after S&D. Don't like the 2 stroke penalty but at least I played the rest of the hole well.

7 – par 4, 351 yards, slight dogleg right, #11 HCP, elevated tee shot to a wide open fairway that slopes down right to left all the way to about the 100 yard marker. Bunkers on the left marking the corner and a slope on the right.

Wide fairway and I use driver and aim left. I hit a decent looking draw, 239 yards, into the fairway on the left side. The hole is on the left where the green is narrow with bunkers front and back. A sucker pin. I aim more to the right with my PW and hit a pull..

It's a high draw that lands near the left edge of the green and rolls off into the rough, 105 yards. I chip with my putter to about 2 feet. I make the putt and have a par, 4.

8 – par 3, 160 yards, elevated tee shot, #13 HCP, bunker on the right side of the green. Slope to the right of this hole that is weed whacked. So it's long stuff and wild. Balls can get lost here. The hole is back left, almost off the back of the green.

I hit 7i and it's a great looking high draw, 158 yards, that lands in the left fringe and just stops. Less than 6 inches off the green... I'm about 12 feet from the hole and use my putter. I chip it to about 2 feet and get my par, 3.

That 7i was a thing of beauty.

9 – par 4, 357 yards, straight hole, #3 HCP, water on the left as you approach the green. The pond fronts this green. With #1 to the right, I hit driver. It's a massive, high, push slice, 208 yards, into the middle of the fairway of #1...

I have to go over or through the mature pines again and stay with through. I use 5i and the 4Ls and I hit a nice shot, 153 yards, through the trees and into the rough near the back right of the green. The hole is front right and it's down a tier.

I decide to bump and run my 9i and it's a bit too much. My ball rolls past the hole and just off the front of the green. I'm not surprised by this result at all and it really wasn't a bad chip thanks to the tier.

I chip with my putter to a foot and get a bogey, 5.

This is a hole where if I was told I could have a bogey and not play the hole, I'd take it. Bogey is a good score even for some of the better guys I play with.

10 – par 4, 342 yards, dogleg left, #10 HCP hole. Elevated tee shot to a lower fairway. Green is elevated with a bunker front right. I tee off with 4w and it's a bit of a pop-up, 186 yards, into the middle of the fairway. The hole is front right and I have a clear view. I figure a 6i to center and I hit a strong, low fade at the right side, 159 yard shot to the back of the green.

I'm 49 feet past the hole and have to putt down a tier. My plan is to putt to the tier and let it feed my ball down. I hit the putt too softly and it dies right at the tier and 19 feet short... I tap my ball and it misses and rolls 2 feet past the hole. I make that one and have a bogey, 5.

Too bad about that first putt.

11 – par 4, 329 yards, 90* dogleg left, #12 HCP. Fairway eventually slopes down to a stream short of the green, forced carry. I hit a high, strong pull draw into the left trees.

One of the guys commented that if I had hit my 4w, I would have cleared them... No sign of my ball and I have to drop in the trees since my ball is likely to be in the hazard. I proceed to mishit my 8i using the 4L shot multiple times. I card a 7 for GHIN, and it was really a 9.

12 – par 4, 315 yards, 90* dogleg left, #14 HCP, green is elevated. Narrow tee shot that opens as you reach the corner. I hit a great looking draw down the left side with my 4w, 203 yards, and into the fairway.

It's a back right hole, over the bunker. I figure a partial PW will egt me on. I chunk it 75 yards instead... It was also a pull, so I'm to the left of the bunker with a clear path at the hole. I do a bump and run chip with my 7i and thin it off the back of the green.

Well I have a touchy shot now. I'm short sided and my ball is on top of a mound that's very steep. It's probably only 3 feet high but the ball will pick up speed even though it's rough length grass. I tap my ball with my putter and it rolls down the slope and onto the green. A 5 yard shot that stops 3 feet past the hole. A very good result, honestly.

I top it off by making the bogey putt, 5.

13 – par 3, 123 yards, #18 HCP, green is elevated with bunkers short right and left and long left. Tiered green as well. The tees are in a different spot and one of the guys lasers the pin at around 130 yards or so. I think it's a back right hole location, so I hit my normal 9i, to try and get on near the middle. I never looked at Arccos...

I hit a great, high draw, onto the green. We see it hit and roll back down to the lower tier. No biggie, that's what I expect.

Get to the green and it's a front right pin location... I under clubbed and should of hit an 8i.

My ball is almost pin high and 16 feet left of the hole though. I hit a 130 yard 9i and my pitch mark was a few yards further up in the face of the tier... Good thing I hit it pretty pure for a change, lol.

I hit my putt and watch as it tracks at the hole and drops for birdie, 2!

Okay, now to start story time. My group is playing high low, rotating partners every three holes. Dots are worth 50 cents, big money.... LOL. One dot for lowest score on a hole and another dot for lowest total team score on a hole. 2 dots for birdies and 2 dots for greenies. I was the only one to hit the green and my partner and I come away with 6 points. Which is pretty big when most holes are normally only 2 points if there are no ties between the two teams. Ties are common, so only 1 point or it being a wash isn't unusual.

14 – par 5, 543, straight hole, #4 HCP. Elevated teeshot to wide open fairway. Fairway slopes down left to right, water on the right closer to the green and fronting the entire green. Wide fairway and I go with driver. I'm steep and hit a pop-up draw, 187 yards into the fairway.

Well that's not what I wanted but at least I can hit it again. I hit 4w from the deck and mishit it. A high push fade, 187 yards that's tracking towards the pond. I can't see my ball land because of the slopes but get lucky and see it short of the pond.

I have no shot at the green, at least not that I would take. It's 170 – 180 to center, almost all water and there's some small trees that I would have to go through. My plan is to take my 7i and punch towards the left side of the fairway, short of the green and get on in 4.

I make good contact and am not sure exactly what happened. It's a low draw where I wanted and I see my ball land and start to roll. I expect to be on the left side, short of the green. Instead, I'm on the cart path behind the back left of the green, 170 yard shot...

I take relief and have to pitch from above the green, over a bunker, with a pond if I go long. A UTB LW should do the trick. I decelerate and pop it a few yards into the bunker instead...

Back to story time, I decide to use my 7i to putt my ball out of the bunker. I make a comment to the guys that if I make this it's a sandy par, which is worth 2 dots.

I hit the ball and it rolls out of the bunker, tracks at the hole and drops. I hear a bunch of cheering behind me, the people at the house overlooking the green were on their back patio watching, lol.

Well, the way it worked out is I had the only net 4, my partner was low man and playing to scratch. The other team both had strokes and they both bogeyed it. So it resulted in another 4 dots for us.

So there were various comments depending on if you got the 10 dots the last two holes or not the rest of the round, lol.

End story time.

Par, 5.

15 – par 4, 264 yards, straight, #16 HCP. Elevated tee shot to a fairway that is always soft abd cart path only year round. Fairway bunkers on left side in line with the green. Bunker surround this green except for the left side.

I go with 4w again and hit it decent. A high draw, 194 yards that lands to the right of one of the fairway bunkers. The hole is right side about middle depth and 70ish yards. I go with a partial LW and don't swing hard enough. It's a high shot, 62 yards, that's on the green but 19 feet short.

I almost hit the hole with my birdie putt and go 2 feet long. I miss the par putt.. Bogey, 5.

16 – par 3, 147 yards, #8 HCP. Elevated green with a forced stream carry. Bunkers short right and long left and middle. Tiered green with a strong back left to front right slope. The hole is back left and the tees are in a different spot. I aim to the center of the green with my 8i. I hit a decent shot, 133 yards, onto the middle front of the green. I'm 55 feet from the hole and putting up a tier. I hit a good birdie putt to 3 feet. I miss the par putt again.... Bogey, 5.

17 – par 4, 363 yards, dogleg left, #6 HCP. Fairly open fairway with bunkers on the right at the corner. Green has a tier and heavily slopes left to right, can putt off this green... Bunkers short of the green as well. I hit a bit of a pop-up draw down the left side with my 4w, 182 yards. It's a back left hole location and 170 yards roughly to center.

Long is bad, so I hit my 160 club, 5i. Figure I come up short most likely and try to chip/pitch on. I make good contact and it's a low draw that lands on the green and rolls into the back left bunker, 179 yards...

Ooooo, another chance for a sandy par! I chip out of the bunker with my 7i, about 13 yards, to pin high and 8 feet right of the hole. Not a bad result. The hole is in a pretty severe slope, so it's not a simple putt.

I hit the par putt and miss low and my ball trickles down the slope and stops 6 feet below the hole... I drain that one for bogey, 5.

Oh, well.

18 – par 5, 504 yards, straightish, #2 HCP. There is a stream carry on either the second or third shot. There is also a pond fronting the green... I tee off with 4w and hit a strong pull into the left trees. My provisional is a high pop-up push fade that's almost into the right trees....

No sign of my first ball. So I play the provisional, 181 yards off the tee and laying 3. I layup with my 8i, just short of the stream, on the right.

The hole is back right and about 165-170 yards. 5i, it is. I hit a low push fade onto the 9th green.. One of the guys tells my ball to go in the hole since it's tracking towards it and away from the 18th green.

I take relief from the green, and my drop is 166 yard from where I hit the 5i. I have a tough chip across the green, up a mound, to get onto the back left of the correct green. I use my 7i and hit a 34 yard chip that misses long and right. I chip with my putter and hit it too hard. I end up 8 feet below the cup. I manage to sink the putt for triple bogey, 8.

A 45/46*, 91 for GHIN ( about a 95 without NDB). Like Saturday, a good round. Messier but still felt like I played better than I normally do. Another confidence booster.  

birdies: 1

pars: 4

bogeys: 9

double bogeys: 1

triple+: 3

Some stats:

Avg drive: 184 yards

Longest drive: 239 yards

Fairways: 9/14

GIR: 5/18

Avg Approach: 113 yards

Up & down: 5/12

Putts: 28

Overall: -10.0 strokes

driving: -6.4, 5 penalties

Approach: -7.8, a bunch of penalties

Short game: +3.5 which is better than normal.

Putting: +0.6, which is unheard of!

• Like 1

So two good rounds this weekend. My index dropped 0.3 with Saturday's round and it dropped another 0.4 with Sunday's round. I tend to always have a hole or two that I hit or break NDB, so I'm ignoring those from this weekend when I say the following since they are also in my other rounds: I felt like I played solid golf for a change. Posting in the low 90s instead of upper 90s/low 100s is significant. I understand it's just two rounds but I think it shows what's in store for me, if I keep working on things from the clinic.

Driver stays in the bag except on certain holes until I can get it under control. I know my 4w isn't perfect and it's a different type of mishit with it, tends to be more of a shank or pull versus the high push fade that my driver does. It's a stopgap because I believe that being able to use my driver will have a big impact on my game with the longer swing. But until then, I need to play smart. One guy commented that I don't need a driver with how I hit the 4w. It's not that I bomb my 4w, but I am now hitting it almost as far as my driver on some holes, at times, and that works good for the course length I'm playing. The reality is if I get driving working and gain distance, I either move back a set of tee or just use it on holes where the added distance isn't going to cause problems, which means hit 4w/7w on the ones where driver is a no go because of distance.

I'm still bleeding away too many strokes off the tee but I'm confident it'll eventually come around. Someday, lol.

Approach game is getting better. I had some dogs like #18 when I shanked about 3 iron shots in a row into the pond Saturday and the fiasco with my 8i on #11 Sunday. I have hit some better irons and I'm still just using a partial swing with them, aka flighting them. My 4w has gained distance off the deck and I feel good with it in my hands. 

Short game is improving some. It's been the best part of my game but the practice is paying off. I'm hitting more good shots, got up and down 9/21 tries this weekend. Better than normal and I know there's an element of luck to it as well. Still, it feels better on the course and I know i have a lot of room to improve still.

Putting is way better. Still some WTF moments but keeping the hips quiet is making a big difference. I still have room to improve, gotta stop missing some much in the 2-3 foot range, but it better overall.

I am hoping this weekend was a 'breakthrough' in my game. I know two rounds is nothing, but I don't see why I can't repeat what I did. I didn't get lucky or hit the ball lights out, I just played more solid. Time will tell and maybe it's a lucky flash in the pan. I am making a fair number of changes across my game and it's not gonna be smooth but I didn't expect to see this type of improvement 3 weeks post clinic, flash in the pan or not. 

Feels good!

Made it to the range two days this week, Wed and Thur. I forgot the tripod both days, so no video. Wednesday was working on trying to make a full turn with 8i and putting practice. Thursday, I worked on Cast A with 8i and bump and run chipping, just trying to work on contact. Both sessions were decent IMO. Nothing great but worthwhile.

I played a solo 18 this morning. Home course from the white tees. I can't recall the last time I got out for a solo round but it felt awesome. Great weather and I moved at a relaxing pace. I only saw one twosome that let me play through on #12, so the round only took about 2.5 hours.

I shot a 46/44, 90! My only penalty and triple (same hole) was on the back. I am stoked about this round. I wasn't hitting the ball lights out and my putting was pretty bad but I still managed a good, for me, score. I can't post the score but it would drop my index some more if I could.

I had problems on the hole the guys let me play through. I hit my 4w real thin and had no shot at the green. I get on in 3, to 30 feet, and 3 putt for a double. On 15, I hear the tractor that was mowing the rough coming across the road from 14. I'm thinking I'm blocking them and I rush my tee shot and hit a strong pull into the left trees for my only penalty. I was a bit out of sorts the rest of the hole and had my only blow-up with a triple.

Not much to say about my putting except I missed a lot of short putts. I also had some longer ones that just missed dropping. I was just bad from 3 - 9 feet today. One example of the bad putting would be hitting my tee shot on #16, par 3, 8 feet past the hole and I miss an 18 inch par putt...

The good stuff, first mental game. I started out with a double bogey on #1. Not a great start and but I just played a shot at a time. I had a lot of bogeys and just reminded myself that a bogey is good. Even that triple on #15 where I just executed poorly on a number of shots, I walked off the green feeling okay. I think it helped that I was playing decent golf up 'til then and it was very nice out. I just had a nice even keel.

I stayed with the 4w off the tee except for a few holes where I hit driver. The only thing of note is I hit two decent shots with the driver since the shots weren't sliced/push fades. One was a slight fade into the right rough on #9 and the other was a pull draw, almost into the left trees on #14. I was aimed a bit too far left on 14 since i expected the slice or push fade. The 4w off the tee is getting me by but it'll be nice to get the driver working again someday.

Approach shots were better than normal even with the chunks I had. I think the range work is starting to creep into my flighted shots. I had the feeling of better pressure shift to the left and a slightly longer backswing. The results were pretty good with some of the shots going about 10 yards longer than normal.

Short game was decent. Almost chipped in for birdie with my 9i. I had a number of chips end up within 3 feet of the hole. Still had some clunkers but it's coming around.

Overall, I'm real happy with how things are going. I've hovered around 90 my last three rounds and didn't feel like I played great golf. The clinic and regular practice seem to be really paying off.

birdies: 0

pars: 6

bogeys: 7

double bogeys: 4

triple+: 1

Some stats:

Avg drive: 200 yards, mostly 4w

Longest drive: 232 yards

Fairways: 7/14

GIR: 3/18

Avg Approach: 122 yards

Up & down: 4/14

Putts: 36

Overall: -5.2 strokes

driving: -1.5, 1 from penalties

Approach: -2.4

Short game: +3.8

Putting: -5.0, I had some issues out there today...

• Like 1

Well, I should have known better. It wasn't a breakthrough, lol. Got in another 3 rounds over the weekend/holiday. This is what Arccos has since I hit NDB when posting to GHIN in two of the rounds.

Saturday 45/51 96. Thought I was doing good playing bogey golf on the front and I just fell apart on the back and had a couple OOB/lost balls.

Sunday 47/50 97.  Had 7 penalty strokes but my approach game was a touch better than normal even though that's where 3 of the penalties occurred. I noticed my driver was going left  and that led to 3 penalty strokes. I hit a 234 yard pull draw into the pond on 9 and later had a pull OOB on 14. 

Monday 48/50 98 with 8 penalties, 4 off the tee and 4 in the approach game. I used the driver more and the ball went mostly left. I had a couple push fades and my driving penalties were mostly 4w with pulls into the left trees or OOB. I had only one with my driver when I hit a great draw a bit too far left. It was a 238 yard shot that ran into a stream near the end of the fairway on a par 5..

I would say the pattern over the weekend was just errors in all areas. Nothing stood out as great. I had great shots in all areas but also enough dogs to offset them.

Positives still exist though. My driver may be playable again. That will be nice. I also had a birdie Saturday, Sunday and two Monday! I know the path to low scores is bogey avoidance but I am almost averaging a birdie a round lately. This is unheard of for me. The feeling I had Saturday was that I'm giving myself opportunities but just wasn't taking advantage of them and I think that may be the trend that's starting. Too early to tell for sure but it feels that way. Once I can start to string some stuff together, I think I'll start to have some real good rounds.

Playing 18 later today at the sister course with all the water. that will be a fun challenge!

Driver is back! Only 1 penalty off the tee and it was my 5i.

But everything else wasn’t, lol. Shot a 46/49. I was +5 through 7. Even had a par on #7, my nemesis hole….

bad double bogey on par 3,#8 and then a triple on 9….

On 14, Hit a 265 draw down the middle with my driver, tailwind and slope assisted. LW missed the green in the right fringe. Chip with my putter, 9 feet long and three putt double…..

Next hole I almost drive the green, 245 yard shot. I’m 3 yards off the green and maybe 6 from the hole. 2 chips to get on , 6 feet out and two putts for bogey…..

Short game and putting bit. I was trying to use an iron and putting stroke but it was horrid. I should have stopped trying it but no……

Was fun though and I’m at the home course tomorrow.

I just want to laugh. Played 18 this morning in about 2.5 hours. A single walking let me play through on #3. Shot a 48*/43, 91. Why the *?  I can't post the score, so that's what I actually shot. It would have been a 47/43 with NDB.

I was +3 through 7.

#8 is a par 3 and I hit a decent 8i that misses the green left. It took 3 chips to get on the green to 6 feet and then I two putted for a triple.

#9, par 4 with pond left side of the fairway. I hit driver and it's a great looking draw down the left side... Ball rolls into the pond and I recover it 253 yards off the tee.... I have an easy PW to the middle of the green and chunk it into the pond. Drop a bit closer and do the same damn thing. LW short of the green... Chip with putter to 6 feet and two putt for a +6, 10!

My 43 on the back had two doubles...

No birdies today but I was +6 for 14 holes and +13 on the other 4, lol. I probably should have shot closer to 86 today since the 10 is a pretty big aberration. Doesn't matter though, it's still a very solid round.

Driver was holy crap. Only one penalty off the tee when I drove it 253 into the pond on 9. My other driver shots were 247, 221, 196, 256, 191, 245, 234, 219, 272!, and 259..... I have hit driver into the pond twice now on 9 and guess it's time to stop using it on that hole since a solid shot can go in since the fairway narrows as you approach the hole.

Once again, it was a round of giving myself opportunities and I mostly took advantage of them.

I am not positive what happened on 8 and 9 to make me fall apart those two holes. I kinda think it was because I was playing well up to then and I lost focus and was thinking about how well I was playing. I also have to stop trying to bump and run chip with an iron. I had one good one but the triple on 8 was because I tried it with my 9i. I left the first short and then hit the second through the green... I know what I'll be working on next week when I start to practice again because it's a shot I should have available to me.

Tomorrow I'll be playing the sister course w/o all the water. Hopefully I can manage a solid round.

pars: 8

bogeys: 6

double bogeys: 2

triple+: 2

Some stats:

Avg drive: 226 yards!

Longest drive: 272 yards

Fairways: 6/14

GIR: 6/18

Avg Approach: 112 yards

Up & down: 4/11

Putts: 33

Overall: -6.2 strokes

driving: -1.9, Arccos seems to be having a brain fart. It says I had 3 penalties off the tee and I only had one when I drove into the pond on #9...

Approach: -3.3, the penalties on 9 with a PW really hurt this.

Short game: +2.1, even with the crappy 3 chip on 8. I managed to get 5 chips in the 6 to 18 inch range. One of them wasn't an up and down since I saved bogey with it.

Putting: -3.1, I had some issues out there today...

• bortass changed the title to My Road to Improvement

Nice!

I'm not even all that envious of your score. I'm envious that you've played what, 6 rounds in 6 days? 

Did ya hit the lotto or something? 😉

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

18 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Nice!

I'm not even all that envious of your score. I'm envious that you've played what, 6 rounds in 6 days? 

Did ya hit the lotto or something? 😉

Lol, no. I wish. Took some time off and it looks like I'll be playing a round a day!

Today's round was.... Was something. I'm not sure what to make of it. Played with the seniors and it's a points game. Shotgun start and it was on #16 for us. I got points the first 9 holes and was +6 through the first 9. I fell apart after that.

I shot a 49/49 for GHIN. I never picked up but I had a couple holes that went over NDB. My index will creep up by 0.1 to 22 even tonight from the looks of things.

Driver murdered me today. I had 4 penalties with driver. I didn't get to swing it until #1, our 4th hole. I hit a very nice looking high draw 244 yards into the right side of the fairway. From there things got shaky.  Had some leak right and a few thins. Didn't have a penalty with it until #11, so my 14th hole of the day. I hit a very solid draw and it carried OOB. Great looking shot and I just started it too far left. The next was on #12 when I hit a bad high push fade OOB. There were no amazing shots like yesterday and I was just off with it.

Approach game had 5 penalties. Topped a 4w into a hazard. Hit 5i, par 3 tee shot, into a hazard, a punched 5i recovery shot went OOB, and I hit one in the junk with a 7i approach into a green.

My short game was pretty normal except I actually had bunkers to play out of and didn't do so hot with those.

My putting wasn't great but it was serviceable. These greens are bent grass and tend to be slow. I spent some time on the practice green before the round to try to get a feel for it and I think I did decent with my speed control.

Home course tomorrow morning. Hopefully I play a bit better. The SR club championship is this weekend, so my Saturday group is playing the sister course that I played today. I'll have my work cut out for me.

pars: 5

bogeys: 6

double bogeys: 2

triple+: 5

Some stats:

Avg drive: 205 yards

Longest drive: 248 yards

Fairways: 3/14

GIR: 7/18

Avg Approach: 90 yards

Up & down: 2/8

Putts: 36

Overall: -16.9 strokes

driving: -9.8, 7 penalties according to Arccos but only had the 2 S&D penalties off the tee. My other 5 penalties during the round were either par 3 tee shot or approaches.

Approach: -4.8, had 5 penalties here too.

Short game: -0.1, I was +2.5 chipping but -2.7 from the sand...

Putting: -2.3

Whelp, my round was lackluster. Shot almost an even 100. My early struggles were with 4w off the deck. Hit two shots into a hazard on both par 5s on the front.

I used my 4w a number of times off the tee and it was overall decent. Hit tee shots of 209 FW, 216 L Rough, 201 L Rough, 215 FW, 211 L hazard, 215 FW.  Some of those distances are what I would get with my driver a year ago, maybe even a bit more recent than that.

I did use driver and it was a mixed bag but I think I figured out something. I really need to think about Cast B at the start of my backswing with my driver. I started to do that on 14 and it changed the ball flight a fair bit. 240 draw left FW, 220 draw left rough, 244 draw right rough (right where I was aimed), 157* draw left trees, * I dropped for a lost ball roughly where it went in. Again that shot was right where I was aimed.

My approach game was off. I mentioned the 4w trouble off the deck on the front. I also was heavy with a number of irons and even partial wedges.

Short game was okay. I did a lot of chipping with my SW and it worked out decent. I did not attempt any bump and run iron chips. Those are on hold until i can work on them and get comfortable. I also had a couple UTB pitches over bunkers that while not close to the hole, were struck well and got me on the green.

Putting was improved. Still plenty of room to improve IMO but I almost sank a few putts in the 19-24 foot range. As in, I got them within about 6 inches of the hole.\

Why the struggles today? I was thinking about it as I was messing up things on the front. I felt tired. I am not used to 8 full rounds in 8 days. I'm a desk jockey, lol. This is the most golf I have played in a very long time. It's probably catching up with me. Two more rounds planned and it's back to the schedule of Monday off, Tues - Friday practice before work.

Tomorrow's round is the sister course I played yesterday. My driver will be on a short leash and there's a few holes I wouldn't use it regardless. One hole I may go for the hero shot though. #7 is an elevated tee with a forced carry that starts 200 off the tee and is about 220 yards to clear. The topography is like a shallow bowl with the carry at the bottom and then uphill to the green. I have to use a 7i off the tee to avoid hitting it into the hazard because of the downslope leading to it. That leaves me a long shot into the green and even if I get just short of the hazard on a flat spot, I tend to top my shot into it. I'm almost thinking it's better to try and carry the junk if the driver seems okay and wind isn't hurting. Worse case, I'm dropping 2 short of the hazard instead of dropping 3 after mishitting my second shot into it. If driver is on, I think it's likely a no brainer but I won't know until I'm on the tee.

Have a great weekend!

Course stats: 5400 yards, 67.3 rating, 120 slope. Home course is 5963 yards, 68.9 rating, and 126 slope, for comparison.

Yardages for the holes are what is on the card.

1 - par 5, 419 yards #8 HCP, pretty straight hole. There's a fairway bunker on the left that's probably 50 yards short of the green. A couple bunkers are at the rear of this green. I hit driver and it's a pull into the left rough, 169 yards. I'm on a slope with the ball below my feet, so my 4w is out of the mix. I decide to use 5i and catch it a bit thin, so a low shot that runs out 168 yards.

The hole is back left and it's roughly a 90 yard shot. I go with a partial AW and hit it too good, 98 yards and into the back left bunker. I decide to putt out of the bunker and the ball barely makes it out. Use putter from the rough and get it to a foot. Bogey, 6.

2 - par 3, 116 yards, up hill a bit, #18 HCP. There's a bunker on the right front of the green. Front flag playing around 100 yards. I'm between clubs. It's either PW(100) to get on the front or 9i(120) that will get me possibly off the back of the green. I go with the PW and hit a nice shot high draw onto the green. 100 yard shot and I'm 5 feet left of the hole. I miss the birdie putt, par, 3.

3 - par 4, 365 yards, #10 HCP, fairly straight as well. Left is trees and to the right is #7. There's a bunker short left and long left. I hit driver and it's a big push fade way right. It's a 228 yard shot and I'm in soft mud in a hazard almost in the trees of #7. I hit the ball all the way through the fairway next to me as well, lol. I have a shot back to my fairway with my AW. I don't factor in the mud though.

The ball comes out nice and high but lands in a hazard I was trying to clear on #3, 48 yard shot with my 90 yard club. It's a drainage stream that runs under the fairway and my ball landed in the area where the drain pipe comes out. No sign of the ball and I drop.

It's a pW into the green and I mishit it 85 yards and just short of the green. I chip with putter, almost 30 yards, to 2 feet and make the putt for double bogey 6.

4 - par 4, 265 yards, #10 HCP, slight dogleg left. Left side is a steep slope and trees, so a pull down the left side is a lost ball. The right side is  #6. Bunkers cover the front/left of this green. If you go right far enough the bunkers aren't an issue and will save balls from heading into the left trees. I go with 7w and shank it off the toe. It's a high pop up that's headed for the green of the par 5 that runs to the right of this hole.

I find my ball in the far right rough, 174 yard shot. I now have to hit a ball across the wrong fairway and through large pine trees. The trees are on the top of a slope that goes down to the green which is just on the other side. I decide to hit a low 7i and it comes out pretty good. 155 yard shot through the trees and through the green and into the left green side rough.

I chip with my putter and hit it too firm and 7 feet past the hole. It's a two putt bogey, 5.

Glad I saved bogey after that terrible tee shot.

5 - par 4, 296 yards, #12 HCP, slight dogleg left. Left is woods but shots down the left shorten this hole. Right is trees but open for the most part. I don't trust driver and hit 4w. It's a very solid push draw, 217 yards into the right trees between this hole and #6 tees. I have a shot at the green it hit my AW. I try to keep it low because of branches and it clips some leaves but goes 78 yards and ends up just short of the green. I chip with my putter to a foot and come away with a par, 4.

6 - par 5, 440 yards, #4 HCP, slight dogleg right. Wide open fairway. Left trees are hard to reach unless you hit a strong pull. Right trees are in play off the tee though. It's uphill all the way to the green.

This is a very wide fairway, so I aim left and hit driver. It's a great looking draw where I was aimed, 266 yards and through the fairway into the left rough and almost the left trees...

A great shot! Not a great location since I'm in range of the green but have a couple trees in the way. I just take my 9i and punch a shot to advance closer to the green and into the right side of the fairway. I execute oit well, 122 yards, and I'm not in position to pitch onto the green with my SW.

The pitch is decent and gets on but I'm 18 feet short of the back left hole. My birdie putt doesn't break and I leave it 4 feet above the hole... I make the par putt though, 5.

7 - par 4, 336 yards, #2 HCP, pretty straight hole but ... Elevated tee shot to a fairway that slopes down to a stream, which is a forced carry, and the fairway then slope up to the green. It's 200 yards to the front of the junk according to my GPS and a 230 yard carry roughly.

This is the hole, I discussed a bit in my last post. My driver shot was great on the prior hole. I can hit driver to clear the junk and if I don't, drop 2 in the flat. Other option is a 7i off the tee to try to clear the junk in 2 and be short of the green. I almost always hit my second shot into the junk, even if my tee shot is perfect and I have a flat lie on top of the slope or I'm in the flat right next to the hazard, which is drop 3 in the flat.

I decide to hit driver. It's a solid draw, 244 yards, and across the junk! I'm in the right rough and it's about 100 yards to my target on the green. I hit PW and nail it 115 yards and over the green. I chip with my putter, 7 yards, to a foot and get a par, 4.

8 - par 3, 157 yards, #16 HCP. Bunker short right and that's about it. It's 150ish to center, so I decide to hit 6i. It's a low pull, 160 yards, left and past the green. I chip with my SW and come up short of the green. I use my putter and get it to a foot and come away with bogey, 4.

9 - par 4, 336 yards, #6 HCP, dog leg left. You tee off, carry the lake, to the fairway on the far side which runs right to left as viewed from the tee box. The lake is down the entire left side of this hole. Driver is a no go. I tend to hit it through the fairway and into the trees between this hole and the parking lot.

I decide to hit 4w and aim at the fairway bunker that's on the far side of the fairway and just short of the cart path and trees by the parking lot.

I nuke a high draw that carries the bunker and it takes the slopes to roll towards the hole. It's a 245 yard shot into the right rough. I hit a partial SW, 80 yards, and onto the green. I'm 21 feet right of the hole and putting down slope towards the lake. I hit the birdie putt too firm and end up 4 feet long. I make the par putt though, 4.

That's the best I have ever played this hole. I normally end up with double or triple because of tee shots into the trees by the parking lot followed by a messed up second shot that goes OoB by the clubhouse.

10 - par 5, 307 yards, #9 HCP, dog leg right. This is a stupid par 5 from the whites. The longer tees have to hit a tee shot across the lake and past the white tees. So the next set of tees back make it a 450 yard par 5 with a forced lake carry of about 150 yards off the tee. No idea why this is not a split par hole. It should be a par 4 from the whites but....

I hit a great looking fade, 245 yards, and into a fairway bunker that's at the corner. A draw would have been perfect, lol. Regardless I'm about 50 yards from the green and try to hit as partial SW out of the bunker and on. It doesn't work. I got out of the bunker and have to pitch over a green side bunker now. I pitch with LW, 31 yards, to 8 feet. It's a two putt par, 5.

11 - par 4, 337 yards, #11 HCP, straight hole. I stick with driver and hit a high push down the right side. It clips a mature pine and drops, 199 yards. I have to hit the ball between two trees. To the left of the one a few yards from my ball and to the right of one that's about 10 yards further up. I decide to punch an 8i and it threads between the trees and rolls into the left rough next to the green, almost into a bunker. I hit a 15 yard chip with my putter to 6 feet and two putt. Bogey, 5.

12 - par 4, 351 yards, #5 HCP, straight hole. Elevated tee shot over a stream to a fairway that then slopes upwards to the green. Driver again and I rip a draw, 273 yards, into the left side of the fairway. Holy crap, where'd that come from?

It's a middle left hole and SW will get me on near the hole. I hit a good one, 85 yards, onto the green and 12 feet past the hole. My birdie putt misses but it's within a foot or so, so an easy par, 4.

13 - par 3, 129 yards, #15 HCP, elevated tee shot. Back right hole location. I go with 8i to get the ball back there and I hit a very solid draw over the left side of the green and into a bunker, 145 yards. A great shot, just a bad location. It takes me two to get out 9 feet short of the hole. It's a two putt double bogey, 5.

Crap.

14 - par 5, 500 yards, #3 HCP. fairly straight but narrow hole. Elevated tee shot and the fairway slopes down towards the lake. The green is offset to the right with a carry over the brush and swampy area that borders the lake in this area. My drive is a high push fade into the right trees.... I drop where it went in, 236 off the tee. I feel better about hitting a low shot, since they tend to not curve as much. I use 5i and hit a great looking low draw, 178 yards, to set myself up with a shot at the green. I go with SW and hit it a bit heavy, it's a high draw 73 yards, that lands to the right of the green. I hit a 13 yard chip with my putter to 4 feet and make the bogey putt, 6.

15 - par 4, 343 yards, #7 HCP, straight hole with the green a bit offset to the left. I hit a solid pull into the left trees and find it 209 yards off the tee. I'm right under a tree with branches overhanging to almost ground level. I decide to hack it out with my 7i and I hit it 47 yards and into the right rough. I hit an okay 8i to center, about 11 feet past the hole and two putt for bogey, 5.

16 - par 4, 264 yards, #13 HCP, dogleg left. It's straight off the tee and then 90* left, forced carry over a stream, to the green. I go with the 7w on this hole and it's a slight mishit, more of a pop-up draw but it still goes 188 yards and sets me up with a LW into the green. I catch it thin and it's a low line drive, 82 yards, through the green. I chip with my putter and it's a real bad read by me and I hit it 15 feet too high... Two putts later I have a bogey, 5.

17 - par 3, 103 yards, elevated tee shot with a stream carry. The hole is 90ish yards away. I go with a partial AW and hit a high pull left of the pin and off the back, 95 yards. I chip with putter and it's another bad read and I'm pin high but 10 feet low. Another two putt, bogey, 4.

18 - par 4, 336 yards, #1 HCP. Dog leg left. This hole has water, the lake is 200 yards off the tee. You then cross the lake to reach the green. I play it like a par 5 normally. 2 shots to get short of the lake and then an iron into the green. I hit a decent 7i, 161 yards, to get just over the crest of the slope leading to the lake. It's a slight down slope and I have a 5i into the green. I leave the face open and block it into the lake.

I drop in the drop zone on the other side and chip 31 yards with my SW to 2 feet. I miss the putt... Double bogey, 6.

A 41/45, 86. My best score since I started to play again. I don't feel like I played great. I just limited the damage of my bad holes. I definitely lost some stupid shots out there, like the missed 2 footer on 18 and the bad chips at the end. No triples though!

My driver wasn't perfect but it had it's moments and I felt good with it in my hands.

This round dropped my index 0.5. It felt great to almost have my lowest round ever!

I'll be doing the write up for Sunday's round later.

Avg drive: 218 yards ( this is all par 4 and 5 tee shots regardless of club)

Longest drive: 273 yards

Fairways: 2/14

GIR: 5/18

Avg Approach: 113 yards

Up & down: 4/13

Putts: 30

Overall: -4.1 strokes

driving: -3.4

Approach: -2.6

Short game: +3.9

Putting -2.0

Birdies: 0

Pars: 7

Bogeys: 8

Dbl bogey: 3

Triples+: 0

• Like 4

• bortass changed the title to My Road to Improvement -Where to now?

Congrats!  What a great couple of rounds.

• Thanks 1

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

1 hour ago, bortass said:

So I finally broke 84 which was my original goal of this thread. It's not ending here, you won't be rid of me that easy, but I do want to thank everyone that's hung around for the ride and offered feedback over the years. I know I don't always follow suggestions well but the dialog has helped me grow as a golfer even if I'm scattered at times. Some of you have been following since the start of this in late 2019 @betarhoalphadelta @TheDeanAbides @SNIPERBBB @Myherobobhope @Chip Duffer @berndgeurts 

A shout out to @MonteScheinblum. Your clinic paved the way to my best round ever, an 82. Maybe I was lucky but I think it will be repeatable as I keep working on everything you told me to.

6077FA3B-311B-448D-9B40-D715898EC46F.jpeg.716322310446035b25c6448caa3940da.jpeg

Awesome 

• Thanks 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Glad to hear it! Excited to see it finally pay off with a low number. 

Funny how helpful it is to just play a LOT of golf, huh? 😉

• Thanks 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

Congratulations Bortass!!

Really happy for you. You inspire me with your dedication and honest approach to your game. 

Awesome feat Sir!

• Thanks 1

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

Congrats! Next step is to maintain your avg score in the 80’s. Maybe see if your game can “travel” to courses outside of the 2 you regularly play. Or even play from the blues from now on.

Edited by 95124hacker
  • Thanks 1

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

19 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Glad to hear it! Excited to see it finally pay off with a low number. 

Funny how helpful it is to just play a LOT of golf, huh? 😉

There's something to be said for that. The range is great for working out how to do things. The course is where you learn to play the game. A challenge is separating the two. It's an easy trap to be on the course and play 'golf swing' . Tinkering after every shot or having 20 swing thoughts. I exaggerated a bit but I have done this while playing and I can't really say it helped any. Just trying to hit the shot at hand can help. 

My driver is a good example. I didn't go and try to do anything differently Sunday but the range work post clinic started to show up in force. Changes to my driver swing happened w/o much active thought. Granted, I have a pattern of a streaky driver, so maybe this was just a alignment of the stars. It's too soon to tell and there's much more improvement to be made as I keep working on things.

Another good thing about playing a lot in a short amount of time is I worked out things that didn't work. I tried bump and run chips with irons and wedges and it wasn't working well. Playing a lot let me recognize it wasn't working sooner and I stopped trying. I'm not ready for what should be a simple shot. Same with course management. I was able to change how I approached certain holes based on recent history. 

I think it makes sense that I have played better when I've had the chance to play more, even if it was just 9 hole rounds. I can't recall the last time I was able to get out for 9 but I know I have played better when I was able to do that.

15 hours ago, b_f_c_99 said:

Nice work!  The Top Flite Gamer is my regular ball as well.   

Thanks! I have played the Gamer for a long time. I recall reading about it being the 'poor man's Pro V1' back in the early 2000s. I wanted a cheap ball that wasn't a rock. My other go to ball was Noodle SuperSoft since I could use club credit to get those. I prefer to just play a single make and model because it's one less variable. All balls are different and the guys that play whatever they just found make me scratch my head. Sure it's cheaper cuz it's free but it'll react different off the tee, near the greens, and putting. I have enough problems on my own, lol.

20 hours ago, SNIPERBBB said:

Well the obvious thing now is break 80. Short term, shooting 82 again.

Grats

10 hours ago, 95124hacker said:

Congrats! Next step is to maintain your avg score in the 80’s. Maybe see if your game can “travel” to courses outside of the 2 you regularly play. Or even play from the blues from now on.

Thanks guys!

Breaking 80 seems like a big thing. I was pretty sure I could break 85 based on what I remembered, even though I forgot I had done it in 2013 with an 84. It only took almost 3.5 years to do it, lol. I think I can break 80 based on Sunday's round though. It'll probably be another 2 -3 years based on what happened when I first broke 100 and 90, i.e. I'm not expecting anything like that soon. I know I have struggled mentally when I focus on a number though.

I'm kind of thinking of having a long term goal of getting to a 10 index. That would require rounds in the high 70s I think. I'm not sure how doable that is for me but nothing wrong with a lofty goal. FWIW my 82 had a differential of 10.7

A more realistic near term goal would be to try to get down to a 15. I'm sitting at 19.6, with a lowest ever of 18.2 last fall. Hitting 15 would require more rounds in the 80s, which aligns to what you both were saying. It also keeps me from living or dying by each score like I have tended to do...

I may move to the blues at some point but I want to be sure the added distance isn't some fluke thing. Plus I want to enjoy being able to whack it 'far' off the tee on a shorter course 🙂

Made it to the range today. Worked on trying to make a full swing with 8i. Also worked on contact with bump and run chips with 7i. Spent 20 minutes on each and it went well. Not sure what I'll do when I go tomorrow morning but it may be more of the same.

Edited by bortass

• bortass changed the title to My Road to Improvement - Path to 15
59 minutes ago, bortass said:

There's something to be said for that. The range is great for working out how to do things. The course is where you learn to play the game. A challenge is separating the two. It's an easy trap to be on the course and play 'golf swing' . Tinkering after every shot or having 20 swing thoughts. I exaggerated a bit but I have done this while playing and I can't really say it helped any. Just trying to hit the shot at hand can help. 

My driver is a good example. I didn't go and try to do anything differently Sunday but the range work post clinic started to show up in force. Changes to my driver swing happened w/o much active thought. Granted, I have a pattern of a streaky driver, so maybe this was just a alignment of the stars. It's too soon to tell and there's much more improvement to be made as I keep working on things.

Another good thing about playing a lot in a short amount of time is I worked out things that didn't work. I tried bump and run chips with irons and wedges and it wasn't working well. Playing a lot let me recognize it wasn't working sooner and I stopped trying. I'm not ready for what should be a simple shot. Same with course management. I was able to change how I approached certain holes based on recent history. 

I think it makes sense that I have played better when I've had the chance to play more, even if it was just 9 hole rounds. I can't recall the last time I was able to get out for 9 but I know I have played better when I was able to do that.

Thanks! I have played the Gamer for a long time. I recall reading about it being the 'poor man's Pro V1' back in the early 2000s. I wanted a cheap ball that wasn't a rock. My other go to ball was Noodle SuperSoft since I could use club credit to get those. I prefer to just play a single make and model because it's one less variable. All balls are different and the guys that play whatever they just found make me scratch my head. Sure it's cheaper cuz it's free but it'll react different off the tee, near the greens, and putting. I have enough problems on my own, lol.

Thanks guys!

Breaking 80 seems like a big thing. I was pretty sure I could break 85 based on what I remembered, even though I forgot I had done it in 2013 with an 84. It only took almost 3.5 years to do it, lol. I think I can break 80 based on Sunday's round though. It'll probably be another 2 -3 years based on what happened when I first broke 100 and 90, i.e. I'm not expecting anything like that soon. I know I have struggled mentally when I focus on a number though.

I'm kind of thinking of having a long term goal of getting to a 10 index. That would require rounds in the high 70s I think. I'm not sure how doable that is for me but nothing wrong with a lofty goal. FWIW my 82 had a differential of 10.7

A more realistic near term goal would be to try to get down to a 15. I'm sitting at 19.6, with a lowest ever of 18.2 last fall. Hitting 15 would require more rounds in the 80s, which aligns to what you both were saying. It also keeps me from living or dying by each score like I have tended to do...

I may move to the blues at some point but I want to be sure the added distance isn't some fluke thing. Plus I want to enjoy being able to whack it 'far' off the tee on a shorter course 🙂

Made it to the range today. Worked on trying to make a full swing with 8i. Also worked on contact with bump and run chips with 7i. Spent 20 minutes on each and it went well. Not sure what I'll do when I go tomorrow morning but it may be more of the same.

Depending on your course ratings, 78-82 is generally your average rounds for getting to 10.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

• bortass changed the title to My Road to Improvement - swing video 3/15/24