2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

New FlightScope Mevo+ (MERGED)

enormous13

On 1/9/2022 at 9:37 AM, FAbb said:

I ended up ordering a Mevo+, and was able to try it out for the first time last night. 

My setup is in an attached 2-car garage. I’d estimate the space is about 20ftx20ft with a max ball to net distance of 17ft. I have to set up and tear down every time I hit balls out there, since we do park in the garage. I pull both cars out, and have the door closed so there’s room to swing, and open space for ball flight. 

I think it’s going to take a little tinkering to get the setup dialed in for the best data reading. I initially started out with the 8ft unit to ball, and ball to net the manual states for short indoor mode. Even with the metal dots on the balls, I was starting to get estimated spin a fair amount of the time with 6-iron. I noticed the unit allows the unit to ball distance to be set as low as 7ft. I changed the setting, and moved the ball accordingly. With the extra ~1ft of flight, the estimated spin shots went away almost completely. 

Does anybody else use the shorter 7ft unit to ball distance with good success?

Any other advice on how to set up for the cleanest reads in restricted space?

I use 7ft to ball and its much better for me. 

• Thanks 1

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

With the new RCT balls and the 0.19 firmware, the Mevo+ is amazing for a $2000 unit.  With fusion tracking coming, things are looking amazing. 

• Like 1

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

33 minutes ago, knickerbocker said:

With the new RCT balls and the 0.19 firmware, the Mevo+ is amazing for a $2000 unit.  With fusion tracking coming, things are looking amazing. 

I've been thinking about ordering a dozen, especially since the ProV1 is the ball I play on the course.  Right now, I've just got a couple dozen shag ProV1s that I put the stickers on.

What have you noticed improved, using the RCT balls rather than a ball with a metal dot?  More consistent reads?  Better results with long clubs?  Spin numbers significantly different?

15 minutes ago, FAbb said:

I've been thinking about ordering a dozen, especially since the ProV1 is the ball I play on the course.  Right now, I've just got a couple dozen shag ProV1s that I put the stickers on.

What have you noticed improved, using the RCT balls rather than a ball with a metal dot?  More consistent reads?  Better results with long clubs?  Spin numbers significantly different?

1. Durability of golf ball because I am not hitting the ball in the same location every time.  Less thinking about dots

2. More consistent readings on all clubs. No more mis-reads.  Very rarely do I get estimated spin readings.  They really shine with Irons.

3. I did a side by side (RCT vs Dot) with Driver and I had 0/10 estimated spin with RCT and 3/10 estimated spin with dots.  Driver not perfect, but better for sure.

• Like 1

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

Looking at picking one of these up for a garage sim. I read there were issues with short chips that can be remedied by moving the unit closer to the ball and not using a metallic sticker. Would that also exist with RCT balls? Also, if you've stuck with the included e6 iOS app, do you view everything on an iPad/iPhone? Or do you connect the iPad/iPhone to a TV/projector? Thanks!

On 1/15/2022 at 4:54 PM, paulman21 said:

Looking at picking one of these up for a garage sim. I read there were issues with short chips that can be remedied by moving the unit closer to the ball and not using a metallic sticker. Would that also exist with RCT balls? Also, if you've stuck with the included e6 iOS app, do you view everything on an iPad/iPhone? Or do you connect the iPad/iPhone to a TV/projector? Thanks!

I use the RCT balls into a net using an iPad Pro and haven’t had any issues or need for a projector.  My iPad sits on a stand right next to the hitting mat.  No issues for me and I have about 20ft of space. I have the occasional low or high spin ball but for the most part it’s been pretty solid.  

Edited by Sons_of_Pitches

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

After looking at the Mevo+ since it was announced, I finally pulled the trigger -- got one off the BST that someone was selling, including a dozen of the RCT balls. I set up a net in my garage this winter, and I'm finding it a bit limited in its usefulness to only be able to feel the strike and see a few feet of ballflight, so I'm going to be glad to see some feedback. I don't know if I'll really use it as a sim much or if I'll just use the range functionality, but I think this will let me get more out of indoor practice in the winter. And it'll hopefully help me to get more out of my outdoor practice once spring hits. Looking forward to getting it set up!

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

2 hours ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

After looking at the Mevo+ since it was announced, I finally pulled the trigger -- got one off the BST that someone was selling, including a dozen of the RCT balls. I set up a net in my garage this winter, and I'm finding it a bit limited in its usefulness to only be able to feel the strike and see a few feet of ballflight, so I'm going to be glad to see some feedback. I don't know if I'll really use it as a sim much or if I'll just use the range functionality, but I think this will let me get more out of indoor practice in the winter. And it'll hopefully help me to get more out of my outdoor practice once spring hits. Looking forward to getting it set up!

I've had a mat and net in my garage since moving to my current house back in 2015.  Like you said, it's of limited use.  It's fine for doing swing work, or just as a way to hit some balls between getting to the range/course.  You can work on strike, and start direction to a limited degree.  Not having ball flight data is a major limitation, if practicing hitting golf shots is something you want to be able to do at home.  I just picked up the Mevo+ as well, with the hopes of plugging that gap.

The first thing I'm working on is building up a chart for all of my irons, and wedges with different length swings.  I'll record 13'ish shots, then throw out the 3 biggest outliers, or shots that don't have measured spin data, to leave myself with a 10 shot data set for each club.  I'll be putting the average and std deviation values for each club into a single chart.  I've never really known my exact yardages and standard deviations, so it will be really nice to have for making decisions on the course.  For each wedge, I'm doing hip high, chest high, and full swing (I just add those as different clubs in my bag in the app).  Up until now, I've just hit any shot inside 120 yards by feel.  That's an area I could really stand to improve and help myself make more birdies.  I'm a scratch, and that's a huge difference I notice when playing with the top guys at my club (+3 to +4'ish caps) - they hit their wedge shots dead weight all the time, and that's where the majority of their birdies come from.

After I get that dialed in, I'll start exploring the skills app.  I love the idea of being able to do variable practice to different target yardages, and measure the outcomes.

I don't have any plans to use the simulation option.  I haven't even downloaded the E6 App at this point.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, FAbb said:

For each wedge, I'm doing hip high, chest high, and full swing (I just add those as different clubs in my bag in the app). 

I did this a couple of times on Trackman as part of lessons I was taking, and it does really help on the course when you know how far all of your wedges go with different types of swings. It gives you confidence when you know your carry distances for each length of swing. Once you have that info, you just need to get an understanding of how the ball will react when it lands with the different lengths of swings, and you can get pretty dialed in with your wedge game.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

22 hours ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

Nice R. Text or call me if you have any questions on setup, etc. 

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

19 hours ago, Trap Junior said:

I was under the impression you had to have an Apple ipad for the simulator function but someone seems to have used a Samsung tablet.  Is this the case?

No, you can use iPad

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

16 minutes ago, knickerbocker said:

Nice R. Text or call me if you have any questions on setup, etc. 

For sure -- it seems like you've got a lot of good insight on how to make the best use of it. Now I just have to figure out if I'm going to pony up another grand to unlock the info that's offered as part of the pro package when that becomes available. A big part of the reason I am getting it is to help with some swing changes I'm trying to make, so it seems like that data would be helpful to track my progress, so I'm leaning toward doing it, but I'll probably hold off until I hear more from other people how reliable the data is.

6 minutes ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

Now I just have to figure out if I'm going to pony up another grand to unlock the info that's offered as part of the pro package when that becomes available. 

Exactly!

Is anybody screen mirroring via cable or wirelessly to a projector, or external monitor?  If so, can you post about what you're using to do so?

I have one of the basic model ipads from a couple years ago that I've used for a couple sessions.  I have a stand that I can put it on, which has been pretty convenient for viewing while I practice.  The ipad is slow, though.  There's a pretty decent delay in the app when I use it.  My phone is much faster, but the tiny screen is far from ideal.  I don't want to have to pick it up between shots to see the data.

30 minutes ago, FAbb said:

Exactly!

Is anybody screen mirroring via cable or wirelessly to a projector, or external monitor?  If so, can you post about what you're using to do so?

I have one of the basic model ipads from a couple years ago that I've used for a couple sessions.  I have a stand that I can put it on, which has been pretty convenient for viewing while I practice.  The ipad is slow, though.  There's a pretty decent delay in the app when I use it.  My phone is much faster, but the tiny screen is far from ideal.  I don't want to have to pick it up between shots to see the data.

I use a USB-C to HDMI cable from my ipad to my projector. It has an additional USB-C slot in case I need to charge at the same time. It was like $25 at Walmart...

5 hours ago, FAbb said:

Exactly!

So I used 3 different option,

1) I originally had an Old Gen3 Apple TV that I would screen mirror to the projector.  Couple things that bothered me was the scaling issues from the phone to apple TV to Projector, to much going on.

2) I bought a simple cheap, Iphone to HDMI cable, was $15 on Amazon this worked much better than the screen mirroring and I didnt have to boot all kinds of things up and log in etc. Faster and cleaner.  But the iphone couldnt really take it

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Lightning-Converter-Charging-Projector/dp/B08MLD9K1N/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2LGE9Y0IGNVT5&keywords=lightning+to+hdmi&qid=1642533696&sprefix=lighting+to+hdmi%2Caps%2C198&sr=8-3

3) I got a new Ipad Air and bough another USB C to HDMI connector.  and this is my final setup.  Only thing is I have 2 of these connectors but I cannot charge the Ipad at the same time for some odd reason it just does not work.  other than that been using this setup.

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Charging-Multiport-Projector-Monitor(Gray)/dp/B07R7PD8TR/ref=sxin_13_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa?crid=259JM4CQDFS9M&cv_ct_cx=usb+to+hdmi&keywords=USBC+to+HDMI&pd_rd_i=B07R7PD8TR&pd_rd_r=003db439-4c3c-4298-8658-dbafddb86ae5&pd_rd_w=UCOhR&pd_rd_wg=8DuuY&pf_rd_p=34f9b464-bca8-45b3-9c64-0e61b00f319e&pf_rd_r=H8P6F1MYE0NMS5Z437A0&qid=1642533720&sprefix=usbc+to+hdmi%2Caps%2C181&sr=1-4-a8004193-6951-43f6-852a-aff7dbba9115-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzUjYwVVpQUUVHVllTJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzg3NzM1M05YRlRPM1pWWjI1NSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTc0MjQxM1BITFdRMVJQRTZJNiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3NlYXJjaF90aGVtYXRpYyZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

If I might give a quick update,  I finally got to use the Mevo+ outdoors vs Indoors......

WOW just wow.  seeing the live shot vs the Mevo+ simulation is damn near close.  

Ball data due to being outside capturing full flight was surprising as there seems to be a difference in data output.

What do I mean,  

on the FS App live here are 2 shots (just hitting between my buddy, that was doing some fitting work)

264.4 carry with a 101mph Club speed, 151.8 ball speed,  3191rpms spin 1.5 smash,

Swing speed and ball speed is about right, spin is a little high.  but 264.4 carry...NOPE!

1st.jpg.9110a24a42357846ced741b4146b44b7.jpg

Compared to -(Trajectory optimizer) 244.8 carry, (19.6y difference)

image.png.1a4ba3e1a14c4647bd51ce3d0ac7e03e.png

second,  shot 254 carry,  101mph club head speed, 147mph ball speed, 3672rpms of spin.

2nd.jpg.a44fcf6f249a68a971cae21da7e973cf.jpg

Comparison to the Trajectory optimizer - 18.3y difference.

image.png.49a1a76e38f4cc19a6b9cbd733f1493d.png

The Outdoor is giving me some LONG drives, that I am not really buying.  not sure why its so different?

CONT.

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

6 minutes ago, Exactice808 said:

If I might give a quick update,  I finally got to use the Mevo+ outdoors vs Indoors......

WOW just wow.  seeing the live shot vs the Mevo+ simulation is damn near close.  

Ball data due to being outside capturing full flight was surprising as there seems to be a difference in data output.

What do I mean,  

on the FS App live here are 2 shots (just hitting between my buddy, that was doing some fitting work)

264.4 carry with a 101mph Club speed, 151.8 ball speed,  3191rpms spin 1.5 smash,

Swing speed and ball speed is about right, spin is a little high.  but 264.4 carry...NOPE!

1st.jpg.9110a24a42357846ced741b4146b44b7.jpg

Compared to -(Trajectory optimizer) 244.8 carry, (19.6y difference)

image.png.1a4ba3e1a14c4647bd51ce3d0ac7e03e.png

second,  shot 254 carry,  101mph club head speed, 147mph ball speed, 3672rpms of spin.

2nd.jpg.a44fcf6f249a68a971cae21da7e973cf.jpg

Comparison to the Trajectory optimizer - 18.3y difference.

image.png.49a1a76e38f4cc19a6b9cbd733f1493d.png

The Outdoor is giving me some LONG drives, that I am not really buying.  not sure why its so different?

CONT.

Am I seeing correctly that you have a range ball selected?  If so M+ is trying to convert the raw data generated from the range ball and add 15% (or so) to "convert" the data to a standard ball.  Try it with a standard ball selected and see if the numbers make more sense.

• Like 1

If you compare the E6 Connect data and the Trajectory optimizer they are MUCH closer, Granted I think the E6 is under reporting distance just a little.  Secondly the spin is pretty high still.

Here is the E6 Data

image.png.28ecbe4255dac38bf3188ed0e7e5145f.png

Averages of 10 shots,

239y Carry 

152mph ball speed average

3085 rpms of spin

12.3* LA 

Back in the optimizer

248 carry, at little bit closer,  but I have an average ball speed of 152 (greater than the ball speeds at the live range yet I was getting 10-20y more distance?)

image.png.6074f8bd4e8ea836b8d8dd79c2b4233c.png

While the ball flights were dead on,  In the house with only 8ft of ball flight, I feel its under reporting.  But outside with full flight,  There is no way I am getting 250y carry with 150mph ball speeds. Just not buying that.  OR am I being humble and under estimating my distance?

EDIT this is Sea level in Hawaii btw, if that matters....

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

2 minutes ago, Dan13 said:

Am I seeing correctly that you have a range ball selected?  If so M+ is trying to convert the raw data generated from the range ball and add 15% (or so) to "convert" the data to a standard ball.  Try it with a standard ball selected and see if the numbers make more sense.

AH!!!! I knew I messed up somewhere.

Got it so that setting changes nothing but Output yardage.  I flipped it back and forth but nothing changes other than raw distance.  It doesn't convert the ball speed.

that makes sense now.  Shoot back to the drawing board..... well anyways.

what impressed me the most was the shot tracer was SUPER accurate, so now at home on the simulator I can really trust it and believe in the ball flight.

Thanks Dan for the correction! 

• Like 1

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

2 hours ago, Exactice808 said:

AH!!!! I knew I messed up somewhere.

Got it so that setting changes nothing but Output yardage.  I flipped it back and forth but nothing changes other than raw distance.  It doesn't convert the ball speed.

that makes sense now.  Shoot back to the drawing board..... well anyways.

what impressed me the most was the shot tracer was SUPER accurate, so now at home on the simulator I can really trust it and believe in the ball flight.

Thanks Dan for the correction! 

If you get a chance to try again with the correct settings can you let us know how you got on?  I'm planning on using a PROV1X into a net in the garden and 2 piece golf balls on my practice ground at he golf club. 

• Like 1

@Exactice808 what do you mean when you say the iPhone couldn’t really take that cable? It just wouldn’t work sometimes?

Apple has a lightning to hdmi adapter, but of course it’s like $50. 

I’ll probably just stick with the slow ipad. Maybe in the future I’ll upgrade. Don’t want to spend the money on an iPad I don’t need otherwise, just for using with the mevo+. 

2 hours ago, FAbb said:

@Exactice808 what do you mean when you say the iPhone couldn’t really take that cable? It just wouldn’t work sometimes?

Apple has a lightning to hdmi adapter, but of course it’s like $50. 

I’ll probably just stick with the slow ipad. Maybe in the future I’ll upgrade. Don’t want to spend the money on an iPad I don’t need otherwise, just for using with the mevo+. 

Sorry what I meant was the Iphone XR couldn't handle the E6 connect and projector.  The Iphone XR would get exceptionally HOT. So I think E6 and casting to the Projector was too demanding, that and my phone is my primary work phone so I didnt want a chance of premature deterioration. 

• Thanks 1

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

2 hours ago, Trap Junior said:

If you get a chance to try again with the correct settings can you let us know how you got on?  I'm planning on using a PROV1X into a net in the garden and 2 piece golf balls on my practice ground at he golf club. 

Will do, I think my buddy is in love with the Mevo+ so we might do another range session in the coming weeks LOL.

Will flip the settings and compare the data the next go around!

• Like 1

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Scott Hogan has a new Mevo + vs Trackman video up that is worth a watch. Not a lot of data and potentially not the best way to test radar (simultaneously) but a good showing for the M+ overall. At high ball speeds with 10 feet of flight it still had some trouble reading the spin correctly (even w/RCT ball). The guy who owns the Trackman carries a 5 iron about 240 yards so really high ball speeds. Anything with lower ball speeds though was very close carry and spin wise compared to TM4. Once the M+ officially recognizes the RCT ball maybe  spin will be further improved. I don't think fusion tracking will help with spin but could help refine ball speed numbers (among other things obviously). 

He tested these along with Full Swing Kit. It was an indoor test and FSK has said they are not ready for indoor use so not sure why he included it. Not surprisingly wasn't a good showing for it.

On 1/11/2022 at 6:50 AM, FAbb said:

How does lighting affect radar's ability to read impact?

On 1/11/2022 at 7:58 AM, Dan13 said:

It doesn't impact radar's ability to read impact but TM4 uses a camera to help determine impact location and the camera requires appropriate lighting levels. For Mevo Plus lighting shouldn't make any difference until the fusion tracking is added. Fusion will use the camera to support the radar (but not to determine impact location - M+ will not do that). 

They have found a special light that reads data better indoors, it’s a faster hz or something. I have one, haven’t installed yet 

https://shop.trackmangolf.com/products/impact-lighting-kit

Was curious if Flightscope had similar results. 

• Like 1