New FlightScope Mevo+ (MERGED)

enormous13

42 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

If he is in fact hitting range balls, this analysis is likely a bit off. Some range balls realistically are a solid 5-7mph slower than premium balls, the Mevo+ is reading back what it is actually measuring, thus the low smash. If you have it in range ball mode, it still reports back the raw speed data, but inflates the carry to account for the range ball. If he put it into standard ball, it would report the carry numbers for that ball, but realistically he should/would hit it further on the course with premium balls. With the same swing and premium balls he could easily be over 160 ball speed, which would be 1.45+ smash. But that doesnt really explain why the lower launching, higher spinning ball carries 30+ yards more. 

This is why using launch monitors with range balls can be tricky, every ball is different and depending on which club you get they can behave very differently, very non-linear effects. A full wedge spins less, a full long club spins more, somewhere in the middle you might get close to similar launch/spin, but ball speeds across the board are lower. You need to spend a lot of time hitting on them (aka like a teaching pro) and work in some real ball data to get rough ideas of what is real and what isn't.  

Understood!  This is where it gets shaky/confusing for me. And why mevo+ just chose to throw an increase against the raw distance, stuns me.

1) Real Ball- 100mph swing speed, max smash = 150mph ball speed

2) Range ball - 100mph swing speed,(estimated smash 1.42) = 142.5mph ball speed (5% less)

So his ratio at 1.39-1.42 could account for the distance then right? (It could be accurate)

Meaning his 109mph swing speed, could produce 161mph ballspeeds (1.48 smash) Up to 163mph, with real balls. = 268 carry, 276total (below table)

image.png.c16de05d668c55e59e5c1e2bd079391c.png

The remaining issues is because its reading full flight, LA and Spin, this should affect the distance (potentially dramatically). Just adding distance to the raw number does actually help the player right?

Some range ball spin more, some spin less.  (as you mentioned)

His launch angle is really low for his swing speed etc, and more than optimal spin.  If a machine told me at 155 ball speed I am getting 288y carry... Thats ridiculously unrealistic right? Unless we are at 3000ft elevation?

Getting this Mevo+ Data with range balls is likely making him and heck myself MORE confused.

Anyways @Daniel Eason

1) you need to bring your Launch up, 14* would be a sweet spot

2) Bring your spin down 2500rpms would be a sweet spot

3) Figure your alignment if you really push draw that much

The rest of the data right now with Range balls are a crap shoot.

image.png

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

2 minutes ago, Exactice808 said:

Understood!  This is where it gets shaky/confusing for me. And why mevo+ just chose to throw an increase against the raw distance, stuns me.

1) Real Ball- 100mph swing speed, max smash = 150mph ball speed

2) Range ball - 100mph swing speed,(estimated smash 1.42) = 142.5mph ball speed (5% less)

So his ratio at 1.39-1.42 could account for the distance then right? (It could be accurate)

Meaning his 109mph swing speed, could produce 161mph ballspeeds (1.48 smash) Up to 163mph, with real balls. = 268 carry, 276total (below table)

image.png.c16de05d668c55e59e5c1e2bd079391c.png

The remaining issues is because its reading full flight, LA and Spin, this should affect the distance (potentially dramatically). Just adding distance to the raw number does actually help the player right?

Some range ball spin more, some spin less.  (as you mentioned)

His launch angle is really low for his swing speed etc, and more than optimal spin.  If a machine told me at 155 ball speed I am getting 288y carry... Thats ridiculously unrealistic right? Unless we are at 3000ft elevation?

Getting this Mevo+ Data with range balls is likely making him and heck myself MORE confused.

It's not just Mevo+ that adds distance, you can normalize data with an X3 and TM has a similar setting. Range balls simply do not behave like premium balls, so using that raw data alone for distance gapping or club fitting really isnt useful IMHO. Pulling raw range ball data into the the FS optimizer doesn't make much sense either. 

The Mevo+ also doesnt measure the whole ball flight even in outdoor mode, just the first ~40yards or so is what I have read on here (but please don't hold me to that). It gets that data and then interpolates the rest, just like it would do in indoor mode. It just get's more data points to more accurately measure spin and spin axis (with less interference). So normalizing on top of this interpolation for a range ball isn't all that crazy, as their goal is to accurately estimate distance. 

But yes, 288 carry from a 109 swing with that launch and spin is simply off. Even if you were to add 5% more ball speed, it still doesnt make sense for those launch/spin conditions. At the 2k price point, misreads and oddball data is going to be an issue. 

• Like 1

i'm getting around 225-228 yards carry with 95-100 mph swingspeed,  smash around 1.45-1,49. Not sure if my temp settings are correct to get better data.. Balls with silver dot.   About 10 yards shorter than  real life. Irons are spot on but wedges are about 10 yards longer. Can' t wait till tomorrow....

Just now, Dan13 said:

The FS email I got this morning said the swing training (and 3D club graphics) won’t be available until the app is upgraded in 2 weeks. 

I haven't gotten that email yet but I am a little put off that they didn't relay this info during the PGA show.  It seemed as if what they were showing off would have been available today.

Taylormade Sim2 8* HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5
Cobra RAD Speed 3W HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5
Callaway XR16 5W 18* Kuro Kage TiNi X 
Srixon Z565 Nippon Modus 3 120S
Titleist SM8 50*
Titleist SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Ping Kushin Sigma

Just now, Dan13 said:

Yeah. Just seems silly on their part. Set your customers expectations and be up front. PP today but app upgrades mid Feb. Easy enough. It’s a small black eye for no reason really. 

Love the people on the facebook groups defending them saying they "never said Feb 1st the new app graphics would be available".  It is very silly, they should have just relayed this info during the PGA show.

Titleist SM8 50*
Titleist SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Ping Kushin Sigma

20 minutes ago, jho786 said:

Love the people on the facebook groups defending them saying they "never said Feb 1st the new app graphics would be available".  It is very silly, they should have just relayed this info during the PGA show.

Agreed.. must have had issues or this is just stupid from them lol

Just now, darunia484 said:

Agreed.. must have had issues or this is just stupid from them lol

I bet it's the latter.

Titleist SM8 50*
Titleist SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Ping Kushin Sigma

The way I read it - the pro

package is just the additional parameters per this page - https://www.flightscopemevo.com/propackage/. The App Store release says - pro package activation. Maybe we can hope we get swing training and camera connect without needing to activate the pro package.

I’ve waited this long - I can wait 2 more weeks. They appear to be a pretty lean group of employees in the US. I work for a lean software company - so I am going to extend them some grace. 

It is also entirely possible with all that user testing from the PGA show - they identified a bug with those features and made the call to deliver on their commitments date and push the date on the other features. 

Just now, Daniel Eason said:

Is a bit of a PR fck up but at least we know. 

Very much a disappointment and poor messaging, which isn't a new thing for them unfortunately.

Titleist SM8 50*
Titleist SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Ping Kushin Sigma

26 minutes ago, EricWGolf said:

Here is what I am curious about:

FS said they seeded the Pro Package to instructors and influencers in advance. 

Well, now it’s release day. Where are the reviews from people who have access for weeks? Surely they don’t still have an embargo. 

Did you even try to look?

Edited by DCbogeyKING

33 minutes ago, games said:

I wish these morons would read the frigging instructions.  They go on a FB rant about only getting 220 yard drives on MEVO+.  Because once a round, after about the 7th beer, they find a way to square the head of their Hippo driver just enough to hit a low screamer that bounces off the sprinkler head on the ladies tee, propelling the ball downhill, downwind, and rolling along the wide, toasted fairways of their local goat ranch muni, where it comes to rest 270 yards away.  "This thing sucks!  I hit it 270 on the course."

Cool story...I'm sure you (should) know that Mevo+ accuracy with driver goes down as ball speed goes up, spin goes down and distance to the impact screen goes down.

If you're 135 ball speed with driver, spin it 3K+ and have 13 feet from ball to screen then you must be wondering what all the fuss is about. I'm 160-170 BS, struggle to spin driver (usually low 2K's) and have 10 feet ball to screen. All set up to Flightscope specifications.

I've hit thousands of ball inside on Quad and outside on TM so I know my numbers and I suspect the same applies to most Mevo+ users. Ball speed and club speed numbers are accurate, the rest is complete rubbish. Mevo+ often reads 3500 to 4500 spin when I barely ever hit 3K. AoA is level or negative when I always hit up on TM or Quad. Spin axis is the worst reading of all. If I hit the violent hooks and slices that Mevo+ says I do then I would never break 100 because almost every drive would be OB.

Edited by GolfTurkey

1 hour ago, games said:

@Exactice808 You're my frigging hero.  FlightScope is SO good at listening to their customers.  In the end, they nailed little MEVO perfectly.  And, I think they have gone next level with MEVO+.

Like you, I'm astounded at all of the bemoaning of 1st world problems by people who can't use a group search function on FB or read frigging instructions.

Since when should a $2000 ballistics radar instrument be plug and play? 

I wish these morons would read the frigging instructions.  They go on a FB rant about only getting 220 yard drives on MEVO+.  Because once a round, after about the 7th beer, they find a way to square the head of their Hippo driver just enough to hit a low screamer that bounces off the sprinkler head on the ladies tee, propelling the ball downhill, downwind, and rolling along the wide, toasted fairways of their local goat ranch muni, where it comes to rest 270 yards away.  "This thing sucks!  I hit it 270 on the course."

Thanks brother.....  Its funny when you say 1st world problem.  I have mention this about 10 times in multiple threads. 

Coming from an SC100 which is a single radar and archaic at best.   It was STILL super accurate at capturing ball speeds. Thats IT, Anything else was a crap shoot.

Then the ES14, which was a huge upgrade, but no dispersion and it was total spin, so spin was a little wonky. BUT distance was much better and worked well on my short game. bigger thing? 6ft of ball flight was enough to get decently accurate numbers.

Now comes Mevo+ HUGELY more accurate than those 2. Is it a Trackman? NO.... Does it serves its purpose? Absolutely. Is it perfect hell no.

The best part,  Flightscope provides a Trajectory optimizer for free and for years.  That right there was the holy grail.

Your average swing speed X 1.5 smash = X ball speed. Plug in some optimal Launch conditions and you got your Carry number PERIOD.

From there you use Mevo+ to get close to those optimal Launch window.  If a bad read shows up... GUESS WHAT its a bad read.... If you know you spin it at 2000rpms but it says 3000,  you either hit a bad shot, or it read it wrong.  Damning the machine to hell forever... is just a waste of time.

If not... cough up the $25,000 and buy the best of the best.... this was $1,800 on sale..... ........well worth it.

Edited by Exactice808
  • Like 2

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

6 minutes ago, Sukh said:

Upgrade then big man

BINGO!!!!  Its been well documented that the higher swing speeds struggle with Radar if its not top notch 5 radars etc. (sarcasm)  

But oddly watched this guy and he didnt have too much issues with 132mph Club speed and 197mph ball speed INDOOR.

So other than that, if it dont work for you, sell it and buck up the dollas....

• Like 1

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

@GolfTurkey You had me at “cool story.”  Such a presence, both your intro and your dynamic Internet rep as a high ball speed “star on the rise” yet looking out for the little guy in purchasing PLMs.  I’ll Def follow your rising star in Barstool Sports scrambles and Listener Cups on Sirius PGA Tour Radio!  Try Optishot2 for best results!</s>

Seriously, your opinion applies to 2% of the golfing public.  Pretty sure, if you’re spewing truth, you have access.  

Yes, didn’t complete that.  Access to what?  We here in the 98% don’t have access.  Some are shut out because no one recognizes our greatness, therefore we pay retail.  Well “cool story” dude let me hit you with some knowledge:  Mevo+ gives us great unwashed some knowledge, accurately and affordably.  At FAR below your retail. 

Edited by games

8 minutes ago, games said:

@GolfTurkey You had me at “cool story.”  Such a presence, both your intro and your dynamic Internet rep as a high ball speed “star on the rise” yet looking out for the little guy in purchasing PLMs.  I’ll Def follow your rising star in Barstool Sports scrambles and Listener Cups on Sirius PGA Tour Radio!  Try Optishot2 for best results!</s>

Seriously, your opinion applies to 2% of the golfing public.  Pretty sure, if you’re spewing truth, you have access.  

Yes, didn’t complete that.  Access to what?  We here in the 98% don’t have access.  Some are shut out because no one recognizes our greatness, therefore we pay retail.  Well “cool story” dude let me hit you with some knowledge:  Mevo+ gives us great unwashed some knowledge, accurately and affordably.  At FAR below your retail. 

Lol, I have no idea what that gibberish means. My ball speed is nothing special, a bit above average but heaps of people swing (considerably) faster. That's kind of the point, a bit above average speed makes the Mevo+ fall apart in a spec that meets (at least the original) specifications. I'm hardly unique; this forum plus the other forum that you troll and Facebook are full of reports of people getting rubbish results on the driver.

Now obviously you can't expect a $2K device to provide the same output as a $20K device. What has irritated me (and lots of other people) is that the initial marketing was strongly implying that the price differential was due to the lower number of data points supplied, without mentioning / downplaying the reduced accuracy part of the equation.

• Haha 1