2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

New FlightScope Mevo+ (MERGED)

enormous13

8 minutes ago, Mobert19 said:

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere here but how are you guys finding sidespin numbers on the Mevo +?

Pretty good with irons and wedges when it reads spin successfully i.e. not an estimated value in italics.

Dismal with driver in my environment; it often displays the opposite curve to what I think really happened.  it remains to be seen how much of that can be fixed with RCT balls and Fusion Tracking and how much is an inherent limitation of the device especially when dealing with gear effect.

Just now, GolfTurkey said:

Pretty good with irons and wedges when it reads spin successfully i.e. not an estimated value in italics.

Dismal with driver in my environment; it often displays the opposite curve to what I think really happened.  it remains to be seen how much of that can be fixed with RCT balls and Fusion Tracking and how much is an inherent limitation of the device especially when dealing with gear effect.

I should have been more specific. Like where do I find the actual numerical values for side spin? All I see is spin loft. 

10 hours ago, Mobert19 said:

I should have been more specific. Like where do I find the actual numerical values for side spin? All I see is spin loft. 

There is no side spin metric as side spin dosent actually happen. It sounds like spin axis is what you're after. The ball always backspins but that backspin can tilt left or right. The more the tilt in spin axis the more the ball curves in the air.

6 hours ago, pipebanfan said:

There is no side spin metric as side spin dosent actually happen. It sounds like spin axis is what you're after. The ball always backspins but that backspin can tilt left or right. The more the tilt in spin axis the more the ball curves in the air.

So if spin axis reads 24.6L, for example, does this mean its curving 24.6 yards to the left? Does the metric flip for left handed golfers? Just trying to learn, thanks.

12 minutes ago, Mobert19 said:

So if spin axis reads 24.6L, for example, does this mean its curving 24.6 yards to the left? Does the metric flip for left handed golfers? Just trying to learn, thanks.

Doesn't mean its curving 24.6 yards. Best example I've heard is the wings of the ball (airplane for visualization purposes) are banked 24.6 degrees left. The total amount of lateral deviation is given separately by the Mevo + and is determined by the club you are hitting. More / longer club = a bigger miss to the left in this case.

The metric does not flip for left handed golfers. A spin axis of 24.6L would be a huge draw for a righty and a huge slice for a lefty.

• Like 2

On 10/30/2021 at 10:29 AM, Exactice808 said:

Easy fix as you mentioned,  Buy/use an external battery pack, I have them stored together with my  Mevo+. JUST USE THE SUPPLIED CABLE, its proprietary.  I have a cheap 20$ 10,000mah pack,  I keep it plugged in the unit even indoors.

It extends the life of the battery as well as keeps the unit out of the annoying power saving mode.

What's proprietary about the cable? I use a long USB to micro USB with both my Battery Pack and the OEM power block with great results.

7 minutes ago, MatthewJPJohnson said:

What's proprietary about the cable? I use a long USB to micro USB with both my Battery Pack and the OEM power block with great results.

Early on a lot of folks that did not use the provided cable were damaging the unit.  The unit is apparently sensitive to the amount power being provided to it. Not sure if its really "proprietary".

If you're not having issues that's great but it has been an issue for others.

37 minutes ago, Dan13 said:

Early on a lot of folks that did not use the provided cable were damaging the unit.  The unit is apparently sensitive to the amount power being provided to it. Not sure if its really "proprietary".

If you're not having issues that's great but it has been an issue for others.

Thanks! Dan13

I am not at home, but there is a "Card" in my case that states I need to use the supplied cable provided by Flightscope or my risk damaging the unit. (dont want to take a chance on a $2,000 unit) With that I fear that using the wrong one could void the warranty, blah blah.  So I just used the supplied cable.

I also saw a couple of videos online about the cable, Scott Hogan was one of them but cant find the video right now.

Anyways just better to be safe than sorry? 

• Like 2

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

2 hours ago, Dan13 said:

Doesn't mean its curving 24.6 yards. Best example I've heard is the wings of the ball (airplane for visualization purposes) are banked 24.6 degrees left. The total amount of lateral deviation is given separately by the Mevo + and is determined by the club you are hitting. More / longer club = a bigger miss to the left in this case.

The metric does not flip for left handed golfers. A spin axis of 24.6L would be a huge draw for a righty and a huge slice for a lefty.

Awesome. Thank you. 

• Like 1

As indicated in the discussion above, a golf ball only has one spin axis and a corresponding total spin. When that axis becomes tilted (i.e., not horizontal), a golf ball's trajectory exhibits curvature. However, launch monitors often parse the total spin into "backspin" and "sidespin" components, probably because that's easier for golfers to understand than axis tilt. Note that 6° of axis tilt would correspond to the angle represented by 1 minute on a clock face (360°/hour x hour/60 min = 6°/min)

If your launch monitor only reports total spin and axis tilt, the "backspin" and "sidespin" can be calculated from the equations below:

backspin = sqrt[ total spin2 / (1 + [tan(axis tilt)]2) ]

sidespin = backspin x tan(axis tilt)

Here's a table to help:

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 4.51.02 PM.png

• Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth 2 12° - Ventus Velo Blue 5R2

PING G425 Max 5-Wood (@16.5°) / 7-Wood (@19.5°) - Ventus Velo Red 5R2

Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 21° / 24° - AD HY 65R

Mizuno MP245 6-GW - AD 75R SSx1

TaylorMade MG4 52.08 - AD 75S (8i) / 56.12TW - AD 75S (9i)

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 WH

Titleist ProV1x

35 minutes ago, HiTrajLoSpin said:

As indicated in the discussion above, a golf ball only has one spin axis and a corresponding total spin. When that axis becomes tilted (i.e., not horizontal), a golf ball's trajectory exhibits curvature. However, launch monitors often parse the total spin into "backspin" and "sidespin" components, probably because that's easier for golfers to understand than axis tilt. Note that 6° of axis tilt would correspond to the angle represented by 1 minute on a clock face (360°/hour x hour/60 min = 6°/min)

If your launch monitor only reports total spin and axis tilt, the "backspin" and "sidespin" can be calculated from the equations below:

backspin = sqrt[ total spin2 / (1 + [tan(axis tilt)]2) ]

sidespin = backspin x tan(axis tilt)

Here's a table to help:

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 4.51.02 PM.png

Or backSpin = totalSpin*cos(axisTilt) and sideSpin = totalSpin*sin(axisTilt).

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Exactice808 said:

Thanks! Dan13

I am not at home, but there is a "Card" in my case that states I need to use the supplied cable provided by Flightscope or my risk damaging the unit. (dont want to take a chance on a $2,000 unit) With that I fear that using the wrong one could void the warranty, blah blah.  So I just used the supplied cable.

I also saw a couple of videos online about the cable, Scott Hogan was one of them but cant find the video right now.

Anyways just better to be safe than sorry? 

It's just a standard Micro USB cable. I've tried like 5 different cables lying around the house and all charge it identically with same voltage and current (5.1V 1.6A when it's off, and 5.1V 1.8A while it's in use) to the Mevo+. The issue is that some may have connected it to a charger that isn't a standard 5v but just assume it'll charge the Mevo+ since it has the same micro usb plug shape. At the end, it's not due to the cable being proprietary or not (it isn't), but due to the incorrect/bad charger used. Mevo+ pulls 5v 2A max during charge, so just need to make sure your charger is capable of that and/or is smart to feed the right voltage if it's a multi-voltage charger or power brick.

BTW , Mevo+ has a standard Nitecore 18650 battery (Nitecore NL1835 to be exact) that can be accessed from the side and be replaced by the user easily. (see attached official instructions pdf) Those that prefer to not use a power brick, you can just have multiple 18650 batteries and pop out the depleted one and put in a fully charged one to have instant 100% charge status. It's a good option if you are carrying it around the course and randomly placing it on the ground etc, and don't want any power brick hanging off it when you run out of battery. (rare use case but yeah...) Also good when you finally need a new replacement battery when the original one wears out and no longer hold a decent charge.

Mevo+ Battery Replacement.pdf

Edited by Jay_Golfer
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Jay_Golfer said:

It's just a standard Micro USB cable. I've tried like 5 different cables lying around the house and all charge it identically with same voltage and current (5.1V 1.6A when it's off, and 5.1V 1.8A while it's in use) to the Mevo+. The issue is that some may have connected it to a charger that isn't a standard 5v but just assume it'll charge the Mevo+ since it has the same micro usb plug shape. At the end, it's not due to the cable being proprietary or not (it isn't), but due to the incorrect/bad charger used. Mevo+ pulls 5v 2A max during charge, so just need to make sure your charger is capable of that and/or is smart to feed the right voltage if it's a multi-voltage charger or power brick.

BTW , Mevo+ has a standard Nitecore 18650 battery (Nitecore NL1835 to be exact) that can be accessed from the side and be replaced by the user easily. (see attached official instructions pdf) Those that prefer to not use a power brick, you can just have multiple 18650 batteries and pop out the depleted one and put in a fully charged one to have instant 100% charge status. It's a good option if you are carrying it around the course and randomly placing it on the ground etc, and don't want any power brick hanging off it when you run out of battery. (rare use case but yeah...)

Mevo+ Battery Replacement.pdf 95.76 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks! That is Awesome,  Didnt realize I could pop out the battery! Thanks for the info!

Sorry this was the video I saw after I saw the Warning Card in my box.  I heard "gotta use" and "Fry" so I thought it had to do with the cord and not just the power brick.  Nor using a different chord.

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

17 hours ago, Jay_Golfer said:

BTW , Mevo+ has a standard Nitecore 18650 battery (Nitecore NL1835 to be exact) that can be accessed from the side and be replaced by the user easily. (see attached official instructions pdf) Those that prefer to not use a power brick, you can just have multiple 18650 batteries and pop out the depleted one and put in a fully charged one to have instant 100% charge status. It's a good option if you are carrying it around the course and randomly placing it on the ground etc, and don't want any power brick hanging off it when you run out of battery. (rare use case but yeah...) Also good when you finally need a new replacement battery when the original one wears out and no longer hold a decent charge.

Mevo+ Battery Replacement.pdf 95.76 kB · 14 downloads

Card.jpg.331b3d80970f2ef43ac71c0dbb0884a5.jpg

Here is the card that came with my Mevo+ that freaked me out. So that is why I am adding my "word" of caution.  especially the "may void factory warranty"

Just wanted to share just in case some people get excited and open a package but dont read the contents of stuff included LOL (I know that is me many of items)  This one caught my attention when I was researching and watching the Scott Hogan vidoes.

Anyways I am glad yours is working out just fine!  

• Like 1

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

On 10/31/2021 at 10:29 AM, Jay_Golfer said:

I just connect a Romoss power bank that I got from Amazon while I play sim and it keeps the Mevo+ charged at 100% until the power bank drops to 0%. My power bank outputs 5v at 1.8 amps when connected to the Mevo+. So yeah, any power bank that can output 5v 2A should do fine. 

Btw, Mevo+ has a Nitecore NL1835 3500mAh 18650 battery inside, and it lasts about 1.5 hours. 

So if you connect a 20000mAh power brick, we can extrapolate that it should extend the battery life by approx 5x longer. 

Im just reviewing what power pack to buy. 

I'm wondering why they don't put in a battery that's bigger??? 

Youtube golf instruction video
only shows a ball distance or direction
of about 3 inches

It's the cord that is the main concern, less so the brick. You can swap out the brick with a power bank. The recommendations I've heard seem to be: 2.1A to 2.5A output.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

7 hours ago, Daniel Eason said:

Im just reviewing what power pack to buy. 

I'm wondering why they don't put in a battery that's bigger??? 

Any decent power brick for a mobile phone is fine really. When I say decent, preferably one from a known brand that outputs 5V and at least 2A of it.

They could have made it larger to fit more batteries but that's just a design decision I guess. (and saves them few bucks in mfg costs also)

6 hours ago, sshadow2 said:

It's the cord that is the main concern, less so the brick. You can swap out the brick with a power bank. The recommendations I've heard seem to be: 2.1A to 2.5A output.

Yeah, but you can also swap out the included cable with any other since there is nothing special about it. Just need to check the voltage of the power source..

5 hours ago, dk10438 said:

look at my post a few pages back.

I emailed FS and they sent me links to a cord and a charging unit that wouldn't fry the Mevo+

Saw your post. The fact that FlightScope recommends a generic Amazon micro-usb cable "officially" proves that Mevo+ uses a non-proprietary industry-standard micro usb cable. So the warning about needing to use only their supplied cable is simply "wrong" and is merely just a scare tactic to prevent people to use a non-compatible power source in case they don't know any better.

Edited by Jay_Golfer

3 hours ago, Jay_Golfer said:

Any decent power brick for a mobile phone is fine really. When I say decent, preferably one from a known brand that outputs 5V and at least 2A of it.

They could have made it larger to fit more batteries but that's just a design decision I guess. (and saves them few bucks in mfg costs also)

Yeah, but you can also swap out the included cable with any other since there is nothing special about it. Just need to check the voltage of the power source..

Saw your post. The fact that FlightScope recommends a generic Amazon micro-usb cable "officially" proves that Mevo+ uses a non-proprietary industry-standard micro usb cable. So the warning about needing to use only their supplied cable is simply "wrong" and is merely just a scare tactic to prevent people to use a non-compatible power source in case they don't know any better.

I wasn't suggesting more batteries, just larger. maybe that increased heat on it when charging.

of about 3 inches

4 hours ago, Daniel Eason said:

I wasn't suggesting more batteries, just larger. maybe that increased heat on it when charging.

Ah I see. The reasons still doesn't change I guess.

On a similar note, if it does fit, you could replace the existing 18650 (NL1835) with a 21700 (e.g. NL2150) battery inside the Mevo+. It's fatter and longer, but might still squeeze in if lucky. (I'll check later to see if it will fit or not) If it does fit, it means you will be able to increase the battery capacity from 3500mAh to 5000mAh, and thus make the Mevo+ runtime about 40-50% longer on a single charge. 

Edited by Jay_Golfer

Misery journey of delivery continues....

Package redelivered (again to the wrong number)....Opened it...."this feels a bit small"....IT'S A FRIGGING MEVO 

Unleashing my inner angry golfer tomorrow with FS if they can't get it to me by the weekend.

• Sad 3
of about 3 inches

Got the RCT balls today. Will see how they compare to the spin numbers I've been getting with a dot on my gamer (Snell MTB-X).  I've hit about 250 shots in my garage so far.  Even with irons I do get the occasional italicized spin reading. 

Had the unit for about two weeks and beyond reviewing the basic carry and speed data (humbling) I'm really focused on the H launch and the spin axis. Trying to hit "proper" fades and draws, aka start left of target and have R spin axis (fade) or right of target and have L spin axis.  Decent with the draws, the fades tend to be push fades - so it's great to have a goal to work towards.  Even if the spin axis readings are based on FTP and ignoring impact locations / gear effect, for working on your swing indoors, I think it will be fine. Its the FTP relationship that I'm working on anyway.

Anyway, overall I'm very happy with the unit so far.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dan13 said:

Got the RCT balls today. Will see how they compare to the spin numbers I've been getting with a dot on my gamer (Snell MTB-X).  I've hit about 250 shots in my garage so far.  Even with irons I do get the occasional italicized spin reading. 

Had the unit for about two weeks and beyond reviewing the basic carry and speed data (humbling) I'm really focused on the H launch and the spin axis. Trying to hit "proper" fades and draws, aka start left of target and have R spin axis (fade) or right of target and have L spin axis.  Decent with the draws, the fades tend to be push fades - so it's great to have a goal to work towards.  Even if the spin axis readings are based on FTP and ignoring impact locations / gear effect, for working on your swing indoors, I think it will be fine. Its the FTP relationship that I'm working on anyway.

Sounds pretty good so far.  Maybe those italicized readings will go down once Flightscope updates the app and/or pushes out some new firmware.  

Please keep us updated with what you find...especially with woods.  

3 hours ago, Dan13 said:

I got my RCT balls this week and have been really impressed.

I've hit probably 200 balls and have had I think 2 italicized readings. Only weird thing I've noticed is that I've had about 5 non-italicized readings that were clearly wrong. It read the spin as roughly double what it should have been (eg I got a 12000 rpm reading on a 7 iron). I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced that.

I did some shot shape testing as well and it seemed very accurate. My testing only involved me trying to hit draws/fades, big hooks/slices and seeing if the shot matched my feel.  So not very scientific but I was impressed. It was even very accurate with driver, with ball speeds of around 175mph.  However, I do have about 16 feet of ball flight so I am able to use "Indoor" rather than "Short Indoor" and I know that helps compared to other setups.  So with my setup I didn't have many issues with the metallic dot either but this was still a noticeable improvement.

I should be getting my GC3 in a few weeks and I plan on doing some more scientific testing on shot shape and spin rate, I think with the RCT balls the Mevo+ will perform well but we'll see.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, kmelv41 said:

I got my RCT balls this week and have been really impressed.

I've hit probably 200 balls and have had I think 2 italicized readings. Only weird thing I've noticed is that I've had about 5 non-italicized readings that were clearly wrong. It read the spin as roughly double what it should have been (eg I got a 12000 rpm reading on a 7 iron). I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced that.

I did some shot shape testing as well and it seemed very accurate. My testing only involved me trying to hit draws/fades, big hooks/slices and seeing if the shot matched my feel.  So not very scientific but I was impressed. It was even very accurate with driver, with ball speeds of around 175mph.  However, I do have about 16 feet of ball flight so I am able to use "Indoor" rather than "Short Indoor" and I know that helps compared to other setups.  So with my setup I didn't have many issues with the metallic dot either but this was still a noticeable improvement.

I should be getting my GC3 in a few weeks and I plan on doing some more scientific testing on shot shape and spin rate, I think with the RCT balls the Mevo+ will perform well but we'll see.

COOL. Let us know how gc3 does. I've put in order for one but mevo+ with fusion might do the trick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kmelv41 said:

Sounds like more good news.  If I remember correctly, someone on the other simulator forum said they had 20% italicized readings with the RCT ball when the ball to screen was 8 feet (I think this was with driver).  When he pushed it back to 10 feet, I believe he said he got very few or zero italicized readouts.  

Very much looking forward to the GC3 comparisons.  Yeah, so when Flightscope officially optimizes the app with RCT, coupled with the Fusion Tracking release, things can only get better.  I dont see how it can get worse.  Maybe nearly on par with a GC3...hopefully.  

• Like 1