Grips getting stuck halfway

Trap Junior

I've been gripping clubs for 15 years no problem. Lately I have had grips getting stuck when I am putting them on. At first I thought I wasn't using enough white spirit so made sure to use plenty of it inside the grip and on the shaft itself. Today I was putting on a grip and it didn't go on the full way and got stuck. I 100% used enough solvent so I am at a loss what the problem is. Could it be that the tape I'm using has gone bad? Has this happened to anyone? I'm using the Tour velvet full cord with 5 layers of tape. As I said I've been using this amount of tape and grip for 15 years with no problem whatsoever until now.

I’ve had issue sometimes when the grip is really cold. Didn’t flex as much making it tough. Garages here in Idaho this time of year get cold!

Callaway Rogue w/ Diamana DF 60TX<br />Cobra king Ltd 3 wood w/ tensei pro blue 70s<br />Cobra king utility black<br />Srixon z785 w/ Nippon modus 120s 4-p<br

I think that all of us who have installed grips for a long period of time have experienced this issue at one time or another. It also seems like you have been doing it long enough to have covered the usual suspects - not enough solvent, not working fast enough, etc., etc., etc.

I certainly can't say that this is the problem in your particular case, but I did have one experience where grip installation suddenly became much more difficult that it should be - and it occurred with Tour Velvet grips. So, maybe you have run into the same thing...

For whatever reason, it seems like a certain number of really popular grips - like Tour Velvets and Lamkin Crosslines - come with a .580 rather than .600 core. That .020 difference can turn a normal installation into a nightmare.

Just a guess, but maybe that's the problem.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I'm not sure where you're located but if you're in a cold climate the mix of cold and dry air will usually cause that. My go to is Kingsford lighter fluid but I always keep some Brampton HF-100 sitting around for tricky grips or cold weather. It takes longer to dry before use but it's much more slick and also allows for a longer time to adjust grips so it's not bad for putter grips.

If the grips you are using are go on tight they may be removing the slime created by the solvent and the tape sticky. Then, half way on, they stick.

Especially if you are using a fast evaporating grip solvent. Not sure what white spirit is but when they start sticking it's better to go with something that doesn't evaporate as quick e.g. Naphtha. Go with something like mineral spirits. Still evaporates quickly but not as quick as Naphtha. White spirits?

Also, one sure way is to use a compressor when they get stuck. If you have one.

• Like 1

I had a bunch of grips do that, turned out the tape I was using was water activated and the solvent wasn’t effective on it.

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

I had the same issue when I just regripped, and I'm pretty sure it was the weather.

It was the first time I've ever installed grips in the winter (heated garage), and they were tough to get on. I use lacquer thinner, which dries fast, but I never have issues in the summer.

What I figured out when I was almost finished, was to coat the tape with solvent, wait a few seconds, then coat it again, then pour the solvent from the grip over the tape, and then they would slide on normally. But without the second application of solvent, it was tough going.

It was the same with both Iomic grips and a CP2 Pro I was testing.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

I have a little squirt bottle full of spirits. I cover the hole in the butt end of the grip and pour solvent in maybe halfway. I hold that in one hand and use the bottle to cover the tape on the shaft going carefully and slowly up and down the shaft to make sure its completely soaked. I then use my index finger to cover the top of the grip and sgive it a good shakeso the solvent fills inside of the grip for maybe 10 seconds like Tom Cruise in Cocktail haha. Then swiftly pour it over the shaft (which I have tilted slightly in the vice so it runs down the shaft andslide on the grip.

Like I say I've been doing it hundreds if not thousands of times with rarely a proble. The only problem I would have is if I tried to be a bit skimpy on the solvent but adding more would work fine Its just lately I have been having a few get stuck for some reason even making 100% sure the inside of the grip and the shaft are soaking in solvent.

I dont know if the tape has gone bad or the solvent has gone bad being left in the chilly weather.

I had the same trouble last year. I've been installing grips for over 25 years with no problems. I'd pour solvent in the grip and slosh it around. Then I'd pour that solvent on the grip tape and then quickly install grip. About halfway on it would just stop. Same tape, same grips I always used and same size shafts. Turned out it was the odorless mineral spirits I'd been using for a few years. I switched (back) to the Golfworks solvent and with my same technique the grip slid on so easily I could have done it one-handed. Funny thing is I was having the same issue years ago with the Golfworks solvent so I switched to the mineral spirits. I now believe that the suppliers must randomly change their formulas (EPA reasons?) and don't tell us. Either that or what is on the shelf is outdated and gone bad.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. I went out to get new tape and solvent (white spirit). They didn't have the tape I wanted. I got solvent though. Tried to put another grip on today. It started getting stuck again. I 100% used enough solvent. I smothered the shaft in it and also filled up the grip until it over flowed to be sure.

It got stuck on my first attempt so pulled it off quick. and reapplied all the solvent again. I t started getting stuck again. I managed to get it on nearly the full way but it was 1/8'' short of being on the full way.

I am actually getting nervous now putting on my grips after 15 years of doing it problem free with the same grips and tape! . I dont know whats going on. If it gets stuck with new tape next week I give up.

As I am sliding it on the gloop starts to get pushed down the shaft.

I have a little squirt bottle full of spirits. I cover the hole in the butt end of the grip and pour solvent in maybe halfway. I hold that in one hand and use the bottle to cover the tape on the shaft going carefully and slowly up and down the shaft to make sure its completely soaked. I then use my index finger to cover the top of the grip and give it a good shakeso the solvent fills inside of the grip for maybe 10 seconds like Tom Cruise in Cocktail haha. Then swiftly pour it over the shaft (which I have tilted slightly in the vice so it runs down the shaft and slide on the grip.It got stuck on my first attempt so pulled it off quick. and reapplied all the solvent again. I t started getting stuck again. I managed to get it on nearly the full way but it was 1/8'' short of being on the full way.As I am sliding it on the gloop starts to get pushed down the shaft.

I'll assume the tape, grip and solvent are fine (that's a big assumption). I do have a problem with your timing. You are taking way too much time from first application of solvent on the tape to sliding the grip on. Too much time and the adhesive on the tape completely liquefies and as you push on the grip all the adhesive gets pushed off the tape by the mouth of the grip. Especially with 5 wraps of tape. Essentially you now have nothing for the grip to slide on and it binds.

Once the tape is on the shaft and you are ready to put the grip on, pour solvent into the grip (about 1/3 of the grip is plenty). Cover the holes and shake so that solvent is distributed to all the walls of the grip. QUICKLY pour the solvent onto the grip tape from the mouth of the grip. You now have about 5 seconds to slide the grip on before the solvent inside the grip wicks away from the inside of the grip. Too many dribble the solvent out of the vent hole and all that does is allow time for the solvent to wick away from the most important area - the mouth of the grip.

If you screww up and it binds 1/2 way on and you pull the grip off, you cannot just start again. The tape is compromised and you need to remove it and retape it. PITA with 5 wraps, but that's what needs to happen. This is one reason to use build up tape. You usually can peel off the one layer of 2-way tape and leave the buildup tape behind, saving a lot of anguish.

One other thing... Are you sealing up the vent hole with your thumb as you push on the grip? Sealing up the vent hole creates air pressure and minutely expands the grip as you slide it on. Every little bit helps.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Hi. Thanks for your input. I am doing it quickly. I pour solvent over the shaft and then empty the grip solvent onto the shaft and immediately slide it on. I am not delaying even for 5 or 10 seconds.

Am I covering the butt hole on the grip as I slide it on? I never thought about it. Maybe but possibly not. I am builing a set of demo irons for myself at the moment. I had a raw shaft and cut it to length and put tape on, then the grip. The heads will go on last. This is the way I have always done it and it has always worked very well as I can get the swingweights pinpoint accurate. I always make sure to puncture a hole in the tape at the butt end to avoid air pressure when putting on the heads.

Maybe you are right in the fac tthat once it goes wrong , do the tape again. I never tried that. The onyl worry is the grip would have gloop inside it too no?

I am wasting expensive grips the way things are going.

I just dont get how I am doing things thoroughly and the way I have done it a hundred times before successfully and now the last couple of months its not working for some reason.

I do not know if the ingredients are different in the solvent or whether the tape has gone manky (it looks fine) or whether the grips are different. I am using Golf Pride tour velvert M58 full cord round. The same grip and 5 layers I have been using for 15 yrs.

Something has changed. If you suddenly started using "environmentally friendly" solvents or mineral spirits, that could be a problem. Tape is frequently a problem and some of the cheap stuff is terrible for binding. Using good tape (usually the most expensive stuff) is the way to go. Cord grips are always going to be more difficult.

Don't poke a hole in the tape until after the grips are on and dry. That way air pressure is your friend and since the air can only escape out the mouth it will help the grip slide on. Once you are ready to epoxy the head on, you can poke a hole in the tape.

You will have to rinse out the inside of the grip with solvent and all of the glue residue should just pour out.

If it's any consolation, I've likely done 100's of 1000's of grips and every once in a while, I'll screww one up. Real handy to have an air compressor 2 ft away to help out in a pinch.

• Like 1

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

Thanks. I will not poke a hole next time until after and see if that helps. I wonder if the ingredients are more environmentally friendly. When I was int he storee today there wa sa choice of old white spirit (UK) or envireonmentally friendly solvents. I went with the old one as I was worried the newer ones are not as good but it still got stuck.

Even though the tape appears fine I will buy another roll. I have been storing it out in the workshop where it gets a little chilly.

I think I have the regripping yips! I am terrified of my next regrip haha

Prior to installation confirm the grip is fully open. Hold up to a light or blow air through it. I often get grips where the butt end is sealed. Just run a long tee into it a few times and confirm its open. Prevents air lock. As I stated in my prior post I had the same issue and the cause was bad solvent.

I have probably regripped several hundred clubs in my life never with any real issues. Last weekend I decided to regrip with MCC+4's and every one of them got stuck. It was pretty chilly in my garage, around 35* so maybe that was it. I have an air compressor so I was able to blow them on once I got them started, so no worries.

Warmer temps, fresh tape and lots of real solvent seems to be the trick. I will say I regripped some with fresh tape and others with old tape that I just left on....both had issues.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Heat is your friend. Sometimes just the microwave will do, but in the winter a few minutes in a warm oven is necessary. They should be hot to the touch, not too hot to handle, but almost. You're welcome. ?

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

I had an issue with a couple of Lamkin cord grips recently, I could actually hear it catching on the cord on the inside of the grip as I slid it on.

Not sure if this is normal for the cord to be protruding on both sides of the grip.

I was able to force it on but interesting that you are also using a full cord grip (with 5 layers of tape)

What you heard was the cords stretching and likely a few breaking on the outside. There is nothing but rubber on the inside layer. The more wraps of tape, the more you will hear the "protestation" of the cords to being stretched.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

Contrary to Butch Harmon's assertions, I'd rather quit than use Winn grips.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

• 2 weeks later...

Got some new tape (exact same tape and brand btw) and the grip went on so easily it was untrue. The old tape looked fine but I did notice that when I put solvent on it there seemed to be more 'gloop' as I pushed the grip on and it would accumulate and be pushed down the shaft. That didn't happen with the new tape.

Lot of good comments in this thread. I work in a chilly garage while regripping in wintertimes. I leave my grips and tape inside the house before installing grips in the garage. I buy a gallon of mineral spirits from local WalMart, never had a problem. But I do recall buying a roll from a golf retailer in KC area that gave me issues installing grips as you described, lot of "gloop" being pushed down the tape. Tossed that one away and I usually have my pro order me a roll from his supplier that works great.

Most problematic grip for installation are Winn. At least it seems that way for me.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

• 10 months later...

I have a stuck grip. Tried to get cute, ran out of grip tape and tried to use a bunch of grip solvent and slide it over old tape which has worked before- but this Pure grip is a bit thinner than others and it is stuck. I don’t have an air compressor to get it off- and I don’t want to cut it and ruin it. Is there a trick to get it to come off or slide it down while it’s stuck? I’ve learned my lesson, use new tape. 

2 minutes ago, GolfingLefty18 said:

I have a stuck grip. Tried to get cute, ran out of grip tape and tried to use a bunch of grip solvent and slide it over old tape which has worked before- but this Pure grip is a bit thinner than others and it is stuck. I don’t have an air compressor to get it off- and I don’t want to cut it and ruin it. Is there a trick to get it to come off or slide it down while it’s stuck? I’ve learned my lesson, use new tape. 

You can try using a screw driver or a long strip a hard material to slide under the grip and squirt some solvent under it. You could also inject solvent into the grip with a syringe.  WARNING this is dangerous slipping and injecting solvent into your skin is extremely dangerous. 

Best bet is to take to club repair shop and pay them to fix it. 

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly