2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Looking For Affordable City In Warm Climate With Affordable Practice Facility

This may be a silly idea, but the great thing about life is you can do what you want to. Silly to you is pleasure to another. Is this more silly than quitting your job and backpacking through Asia? Maybe, but each person has to find purpose in their own way. I'm absolutely not trying to call anyone out for offering a word of warning, but there is something admirable about working for what you want, regardless of how "irresponsible" it is from an adult perspective.

As for where to do this, with all these suggestions it seems like there are a ton of southern cities that are doable. Most of the south/southwest is affordable if you're fine with living outside of town. And almost any city has an affordable golf option somewhere. The only advice I'd offer is rather than hitting 1,000 balls, I would play a ton. If I had this time, I would do Jack Nicklaus's schedule as a junior. Wake up, hit one bucket, play 18, putt/chip. lunch, 18 more, putt/chip or more range balls. Beating balls might get you to the prettiest swing, but playing will get you to the lowest score.

OP, I actually think there is a cautious way to do this that would benefit you more than your current plan. I totally understand your drive to give this total commitment have no regrets looking back.

Instead of going to zero income and banging balls all day, I would recommend keeping your job for at least this year, and frequent the best possible pro in your area. This will allow you to build a great swing and fundamentals (and prevent bad habits from ingraining) as you were worried about. After doing this and still putting tons of time after and before work toward your goal, then I think it would be smart to try your plan. You will have a great foundation, a little more money in the bank account, and hopefully a very clear plan with an instructor you can always check back in with if you get wayward.

Hope this gives you another perspective, thanks for the awesome thread.

Driver: Titleist Tsi2 - GD AD-IZ 6x

3 wood: Taylormade SIM Max 15 - GD AD-VR 7x

hybrid: Ping G425 19 - GD AD-DI Hy 95x

irons (4-pw): Ping iBlade - Project X rifle 6.5 +1"

wedges (50,55,60): Vokey Sm9 - Project X rifle 6.5 +1"

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 36"

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Props to you OP. I'm interested to see how this goes for you.

Based solely on your budget, I'd suggest the Southeast in general, San Antonio, Albuquerque and Tucson.

I think most guys wonder how low they could go if they could just focus 100% on golf rather than their career, family, etc.

My only questions/criticisms are the 1000 balls a day and the $500.00/month rent.

If it were me, I'd be fine with a few hundred balls a day while playing 18/36 a day plus a lot of work on the short game.

I'd also rather drive an Uber / tend bar / marshall at a higher end course a couple hours a day than live in a $500.00 a month place.

Presuming you are single your evenings may be more enjoyable, too

The whole wait for retirement concept does not work for me anymore. I have a soul that is burning to take action now. Having a big house, a nice car and plenty of cash during retirement would certainly be nice no matter who you are, but for me spiritually being old with "just enough" money and the satisfaction that I gave my younger life everything I could is in many ways better than anything a fat nest egg could buy.

• Like 1

Go for it ... most of us are just jealous we didn't have the money or time to do the same thing you're doing.

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

I played scratch for about 3 years while working and maintain about a 4 HCP currently (in my 40's so still working FT). Typically play once a week, hit balls at lunch 3x a week (45 minutes). On the day I play I spend at least an hour putting (I have a series of rotating drills I work on) and working on my short game. In short, just over 2 hours of range time at lunch, about an hour and a half of purposeful short game work and one round. Some weeks dont work to play, and other weeks I can get out twice. Driver and short game are my strengths. Iron play is not terrible, but isnt winning any PGA event any time soon. I like to play well more than I like to goof off when Im on the course. I play golf more as a change of pace from a stressful life, than to relax, so I am constantly being purposeful with how I play and practice. Dont get me wrong, I do enjoy the relaxing and social part of golf, but enjoy playing better more. I see so many of my friends just hitting shots and gabbing/drinking and they never get better. They all relieve stress and have different desired outcomes from time spent golfing. Not wrong just different.

well first just beating balls every day won't do it especially reading your background. I've seen many retired guys do this, they play every day and are still around the same handicap but just more consistent with it. You already have plenty of free time, no kids, etc. no need to quit job. Find a good in person instructor (not online) and set up lessons for after work or on the weekend, maybe 1 or 2 hour lesson every 3 weeks until you get to a point when you can push it out even farther. Practice when you get off work (can do some at lunch too, I've done this plenty of times) but only on the stuff you work out with your instructor to improve, he can help set up a plan. It will prob take two seasons before you see big changes.

This is a way better plan than quiting your job and beating balls all day, at your age you run risk of overuse injury and it's overkill.

also, you live in MN, right? Might not hurt to move somewhere else though to enjoy a longer playing season. I mean I live in mid Illinois and even Chicago is starting to get too far north for me. I think you would be better off finding a job in a place that has a longer golf season and good instructors.

I do have an online video analysis golf school that I work with to model a certain swing type and it has been very helpful. I don't know if I explained enough but I did practice a ton last year. I practiced or played on average about between 2-4 hours a day 4+ times a week. I felt that I had reached a point at the end of the season where my confidence was so through the roof that if I could just take 3 weeks off and play 36 holes a day I would have gotten down to scratch golf no question. Obviously this is not proven until I do it but sometimes you can just sense the level of progress you are making and know what it is going to take to go to the next level.

Work and MN life really became the biggest obstacle with this most recent practice stint, not enough daylight after work and then having to take winters off completely. I have come to learn that indoor practice can be very effective especially when working on a swing change, but it is still frustrating living in such a cold climate away from all the fun golf weather.

I am not too worried about injuries. I am moving towards an effortless swing and I am slowly building up a lot of strength in the right areas, I will know when I am pushing my body and will slow down accordingly. I practiced intensely all summer with absolutely no issues of any kind.

To truly know how good I can get I feel like I need to take a break from work and do a mix of the 36 holes a day schedule and the 12-13 hours of range, short game and putting work. Fundamentals are critical and a lot of that can be smoothed out off the course in my opinion.

I am not talking about mindlessly banging balls on the range. I am talking about working on specific movements, specific body parts of a swing model I am learning with constant video analysis and associated corrections.

You should find the best instructor you can, even if you have to travel to go see them. Spend some money and get a little time with someone really good. Not only will they help with your swing but they will be able to help you form a plan to accomplish what you're trying to do. Knowing what to practice and how to practice is more important than the number of range balls you can hit.

OP, if you spent last season practicing 2-4 hours 4+ times a week, I question whether 12 hours a day is going to make a huge difference. Move to Texas and get a job in the Austin-SA-San Marcos area. Tons of jobs, lots of tech, good winters, lots of golf courses, lots of places to live. After daylight savings, it doesn't get dark until 8:30 or so, but it will be hot and humid for 5 months. I applaud your desire, and willingness to make this commitment, but this is a lot to reach the level of a really good club player.

your talking about getting better at golf, not go on some missions trip or travel the world to better yourself and humanity. Doesn't require what you are describing. You seriously sound like someone who lives too far north that has the winter blues, its the middle of Jan. Just move farther south and get a decent job, already told you your plan is complete overkill for your goal.

@kline116 I felt that I had reached a point at the end of the season where my confidence was so through the roof that if I could just take 3 weeks off and play 36 holes a day I would have gotten down to scratch golf no question. Obviously this is not proven until I do it but sometimes you can just sense the level of progress you are making and know what it is going to take to go to the next level.
You were scoring around 80, with a best of 78, and you think you were only 3-weeks of hard work away from being scratch?
Going from 2-4 hours a day to 12-hours won't accelerate your improvement that much. It might not accelerate it at all.
Are you familiar with The Dan Plan?

• Like 1

"if I could just take 3 weeks off and play 36 holes a day I would have gotten down to scratch golf no question"

And there it is --- do what you want OP, that's what life is all about and hope you have fun and good health and all that, but the "real" factor for this thread just evaporated, IMO. Did learn some cool stuff about some other places, though.

Good luck.

WHilst it was obvious trollery it was quite entertaining.

on the 0.001% chance op is serious, you do realise scratch doesn’t mean shooting par once? Because once you’ve done that, in competition, that would put you at about a british 6 handicap, maybe an American 4. True scratch means breaking par regularly, and at your best 66-67 ish.