2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

UST Recoil 95 in irons? Likes...Dislikes?

Joe Jordan

anyone compare recoils or steelfiber to MMT

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

On 3/24/2022 at 3:49 PM, ob1soccer said:

anyone compare recoils or steelfiber to MMT

I would be curious on this as well, especially in relation to balance points.  In other words, assuming the same head, grip, and overall length, would the Recoil 95 have the same swing weight as the MMT 95?

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue

Maltby TS3 6-Gap w/Nippon N.S. Pro 1050GH

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams

GP Side Saddle Broomstick, 45"

• 2 months later...

I've been playing the Recoil 95s for a few months now and really like them. The feel is outstanding - smooth, stable with a bit of a kick. I can't see myself ever going back to steel.

My only complaint is that I hit them really high. I like a somewhat higher ball flight and and I appreciate the fact the Recoils are easy to elevate, but I've had issues with them ballooning into the wind.

I'm wondering if the Recoil Prototypes might be better, which supposedly have a mid ball flight, or even the 110s.

Edited by MMB1500
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, MMB1500 said:

I've been playing the Recoil 95s for a few months now and really like them. The feel is outstanding - smooth, stable with a bit of a kick. I can't see myself ever going back to steel.

My only complaint is that I hit them really high. I like a somewhat higher ball flight and and I appreciate the fact the Recoils are easy to elevate, but I've had issues with them ballooning into the wind.

I'm wondering if the Recoil Prototypes might be better, which supposedly have a mid ball flight, or even the 110s.

The heavier weight is more likely to help with that (e.g. go to 110's instead of protos).   The proto's really don't have that much of a different launch characteristic than the non-proto.   The difference is more about the torsional stiffness (which is more  a "feel" thing) and not the longitudinal stiffness which is what determines the launch characteristics.

The other thing that might help is to just get some lead tape and increase the head weight / swing weight.   It's certainly a very cheap experiment to try before thinking about replacing the shafts.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MMB1500 said:

I put a Recoil 95 in a Golden Ram TW276 1 iron, to be able to use along with the rest of my TW276 set for old school retro rounds.  The rest of the TW276 set have NV105 shafts in them.

When on the course, I noticed the 1 iron hit the ball higher than the 2 iron in the set (hit both from tee shots).  It was noticeable enough that one of my friends commented on it.

I'd also tried Recoil 125 in the past, and found the same thing, the ball flying considerably higher.  I have Recoil Proto 125 in a set of MP37s, they hit a bit higher, but I feel somewhat less so than the retail Recoil shafts.  Not much of a comparative, I know.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

3 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

The heavier weight is more likely to help with that (e.g. go to 110's instead of protos).   The proto's really don't have that much of a different launch characteristic than the non-proto.   The difference is more about the torsional stiffness (which is more  a "feel" thing) and not the longitudinal stiffness which is what determines the launch characteristics.

The other thing that might help is to just get some lead tape and increase the head weight / swing weight.   It's certainly a very cheap experiment to try before thinking about replacing the shafts.

OK thanks. I appreciate your informative response.

I'll try the lead tape first and go from there.

If that doesn't work I'll experiment with a single 110 shaft first and see what difference that makes. The standard Recoils are easier to get hold of in Canada anyway, so I'm glad there is a possible solution without transitioning to the prototypes.

19 minutes ago, MMB1500 said:

OK thanks. I appreciate your informative response.

I'll try the lead tape first and go from there.

If that doesn't work I'll experiment with a single 110 shaft first and see what difference that makes. The standard Recoils are easier to get hold of in Canada anyway, so I'm glad there is a possible solution without transitioning to the prototypes.

After playing with head weight - but before buying a 110 - just try adding about 15 gm of lead tape to the shaft.  Wrap it around the shaft about 4"-6" below the bottom of the grip.  This will at least give you an idea whether getting a 110 shaft to test will be worth it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm going back to Recoils.  I tried them for a while, liked them, but then got bored.  I've tried a bunch of others since, but I just bought a set of Mizuno 919 Forged with Recoil 95's and then ordered a Mizuno Fli-Hi hybrid, also with a Recoil 95 shaft, to go with them.  They just feel great.  Being an "average Joe" on here, excessive spin or ballooning is never an issue for me.

• Like 4

Ping g410 4h Tensei blue

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Started Recoil 95F4 ssx1 - presently on 110F5 ssx1

And yes, into the wind was my main concerns, as well. 110F5 provides the best flight into & downwind stopping on firm greens - for my game/swing. I have ie1 3i w/95F4 hsx1 that makes the bag as well. 

Just have to play around with Recoil & find what works for your swing. I definitely don't have the swing speed but F5 just works PERFECTLY for me.

• Like 1

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

OP, I’m new here and one of those old guys, so TIFWIW.  I played DG S200s fit for me at Titleist in Southern California for over 20 years.  After a five-year layoff I caught the bug again bad in late 2018.  Played a lot of golf in 2019.  I was just working too hard with the old sticks and wanted new irons.  I wanted to go graphite.  Went to several demo days and fell in love with the Recoil and JPX Tours.  Did a fitting but it was a mess as I was all over the place and sick.  We got far enough that the fitter thought the Recoil 95s were a good fit, and we were leaning toward Srixon Z585s.  I ended up taking a few lessons with really good instructor, got my swing somewhat back, and ordered JPX Tours with 95 F4s.

I love the irons and the shafts.  They are explosive, stable.  I’ve been trying to dial my swing back to 80%, making several minor tweaks, but I can still crank up the shaft when required.  I cannot get “jerky” with them in transition, but that’s probably true for most.  I can hit almost all the shots and my “stock” swing ball flight is now a slight draw with good spin.  I haven’t noticed ballooning as some have mentioned, but I’ve played a lot of golf in the wind and generally hit a +club knock-down into the wind.

I’ve had three problems – 1) I simply cannot hit a high fade with this combination.  I do everything I can to do so and the result is a dead straight, on-the-number shot.  Punch sliders are fine, but not high fades.  2) My miss for the last couple years has been nuclear long and left.  Like 15 yards long and 20 left.  Always on contact that feels dead pure, and looks beautiful as it flies into a lake.  I recently did some tinkering with grip wraps which seems to have solved this.  3) I’ve really struggled getting new wedges that feel right and match the gapping.  Currently have a JPX 919 Forged with a DG105 as a gap and hate it.  Ordered and immediately sold an S-18 gap with the R95 F4.  Just this week have some RTX Zipcores and a CBX Zipcore to test.  So far love the RTXs, but they are so much heavier than the 95s I don’t know if it would work for a GW.

I would have preferred to order the Recoil 110s, but at the time figured if I’m going old guy may as well go all the way.  I’d like to hit MMT 105s.

Oh yeah – I’m 105-108 driver speed, quick tempo.  Don’t know any other numbers.  Good luck!

I recently put the Recoil 110’s F4 in my 54 and 58 wedges and love the results/feel.  That said, I typically play DG XP95’s or Elevate 95’s, but now I’m torn between the Recoil 95’s or 110’s in F4 for the rest of my irons. This is my first set of graphite shafts.  Hrmmmm….. decisions-decisions on which to go with…. I’m thinking the 110’s may possibly  feel too heavy towards the end of my round.  Thoughts? 

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

6 hours ago, Sons_of_Pitches said:

I recently put the Recoil 110’s F4 in my 54 and 58 wedges and love the results/feel. 

Thoughts? 

Personally I think the 110's in wedges pair really well with 95's in the irons - but just because that's true for me doesn't mean it's true for everyone.

That said, I typically play DG XP95’s or Elevate 95’s,

Hrmmmm….. decisions-decisions on which to go with…. I’m thinking the 110’s may possibly  feel too heavy towards the end of my round. 

The Recoils are a little bit ascending weight  (the long iron shafts are a tiny bit lighter than the short iron shafts)  but the question is really going to come down to how good a fit is the weight of the XP95/Elevate 95's?   And that's something you have to figure out yourself.  No one here can answer that for you.   Just realize that if those shafts are a good fit for weight then going to graphite isn't really going to change that.  

9 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

Personally I think the 110's in wedges pair really well with 95's in the irons - but just because that's true for me doesn't mean it's true for everyone.

The Recoils are a little bit ascending weight  (the long iron shafts are a tiny bit lighter than the short iron shafts)  but the question is really going to come down to how good a fit is the weight of the XP95/Elevate 95's?   And that's something you have to figure out yourself.  No one here can answer that for you.   Just realize that if those shafts are a good fit for weight then going to graphite isn't really going to change that.  

Thanks for the feedback.  Yep, the 95g weight is definitely a good fit for me and I’m certainly leaning towards the 95g in the recoils for the rest of the irons.  The 95’s are probably the better choice as the 110’s will probably feel more like 130’s come hole 15-18.  However, my curiosity certainly gets the best of me at times and hence the 110g interests in the rest of the irons.  99% sure I’m  going with the 95g shafts.

• Like 1

PXG 0317 X

2 hours ago, Sons_of_Pitches said:

Thanks for the feedback.  Yep, the 95g weight is definitely a good fit for me and I’m certainly leaning towards the 95g in the recoils for the rest of the irons.  The 95’s are probably the better choice as the 110’s will probably feel more like 130’s come hole 15-18.  However, my curiosity certainly gets the best of me at times and hence the 110g interests in the rest of the irons.  99% sure I’m  going with the 95g shafts.

Most of us switched to Recoil for their dampening priorities. I highly doubt fatigue would be an issue - especially in just wedges. The only Recoil that gave me any weight concerns were 125F5 wedge shafts...it was a wrx glide to begin with.

Also wedge head weight can cancel out any shaft weight - especially from different manufacturers .

Just my opinion

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

6 hours ago, animalgolfs said:

Most of us switched to Recoil for their dampening priorities. I highly doubt fatigue would be an issue - especially in just wedges. The only Recoil that gave me any weight concerns were 125F5 wedge shafts...it was a wrx glide to begin with.

Also wedge head weight can cancel out any shaft weight - especially from different manufacturers .

Just my opinion

I already have the 110g F4 in my wedges and I absolutely love them.  What I was debating... should I put the 110g F4's in the rest of my irons since I like them in my wedges so much or do I go with what I typically play in a steel shaft which is 95g.  I was just worried that towards the end of a round (holes 15-18) with the 110g shafts that I would fatigue with the weight difference.  I am leaning towards just putting in the 95g F4's in the rest of the irons and calling it a day.  

Edited by Sons_of_Pitches
  • Like 1

PXG 0317 X

I've been playing graphite shafts in my irons for about 15 years. I started with the NV 130's back in the day, moved to the 105s, then the VS 100s.  I like having a slightly lighter shaft in my irons than wedges.  The wedges aren't really full swing, normal tempo clubs. So the weight is good for feel/swingweighting/etc. But I do think that as I've moved to lower weight shafts (now recoil 95s in my irons), I wouldn't want the heavier weight throughout my set.

Edited by Cameron Circle T

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve played my 919 Forged with Recoil 95’s a few rounds now and I don’t foresee using any other iron shafts until something significantly new or different comes out. Still looking forward to the 29* hybrid to go with them. Someday I’d like to try some 110’s in my wedges, but I’ve played old school Rifle 5.0’s in my wedges for 15 years and to me they have the most similar “lively” feel in a steel shaft that I know of. 

• Like 1

Ping g410 4h Tensei blue

I play the 125’s in my irons and need to get them wedge shafts for my wedges. The feel is outstanding and so much better than steel for fatigue. I even had the vss elevates to reduce vibrations and the recoils are leaps and bounds ahead regarding feel and performance for me. 

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 9* w/ UST Linq Red 8F5

Callaway Rogue 3 LS Wood w/ UST Linq Blue 8F5

Ping iCrossover 2 w/ TT X7

Titleist T100 ‘21 4-9 w/ TT X100

Vokey 46 and 50* w/ TT X100

Vokey 54 and 58* w/ UST Wedge Proto F5

L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 (Red) Broomstick

I recently switched to graphite iron shafts (mmt 105) in my gamers and just bought a set of back up irons with Recoil 95 stiff shafts. The Recoil feel just as good as my MMT but launch higher and have a lot more "pop". Between the two sets I am offset by almost a full club. Can tell you that I am not switching back to steel. Graphite is the new hotness.... haha

Edited by JDennis

• 8 months later...

Bringing this up again since I recently received a set of Mizzy 923 HMP with Recoil 95s F3.

I have to say I am disappointed. The shaft feels rather dead to me, almost boardy. Impact feels kind of dull, no special sensation coming through. Before, I have played graphite MMT 70 and  steel PX LZ 115 and both felt much more lively and easier to load with more kick through the hit.

I was not expecting this based on the positive opinions here. My 7i ss is about 76 mph so the F3 should be fine for me as per UST. Or isn't it?

Anyone else with such mediocre experiences?

Thanks

SD

Driver: Callaway Paradym X w/ HZRDUS Silver 50 5.5
5W: Callaway Mavrik Max w/ Riptide 60 5.5
5i: Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal w/ Recoil ESX 460 F3 

6i-GW: Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal Pro w/ Recoil ESX 460 F3
52*: Mizuno S23 S-Grind w/ Nippon Pro Modus 3 105 
58*: Mizuno S23 D-Grind w/ Nippon Pro Modus 3 105 
Putter: Yes! Hannah

3 hours ago, SteelyDan said:

Bringing this up again since I recently received a set of Mizzy 923 HMP with Recoil 95s F3.

I have to say I am disappointed. The shaft feels rather dead to me, almost boardy. Impact feels kind of dull, no special sensation coming through. Before, I have played graphite MMT 70 and  steel PX LZ 115 and both felt much more lively and easier to load with more kick through the hit.

I was not expecting this based on the positive opinions here. My 7i ss is about 76 mph so the F3 should be fine for me as per UST. Or isn't it?

Anyone else with such mediocre experiences?

Thanks

SD

I've seen some similar comments so you're not alone. 

But it really shouldn't be all that surprising.  Preferences for feels are very subjective and can depend a lot on your mechanics.  Not everyone wants to feel much loading or have that "lively" feel in their shafts - particularly iron shafts.  That's one of the reasons why I (and many others) like the recoils (and steelfibers) for that matter.  Also the stiffer design means that they handle aggressive loading very well.

Edited by Stuart_G

22 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

I've seen some similar comments so you're not alone. 

But it really shouldn't be all that surprising.  Preferences for feels are very subjective and can depend a lot on your mechanics.  Not everyone wants to feel much loading or have that "lively" feel in their shafts - particularly iron shafts.  That's one of the reasons why I (and many others) like the recoils (and steelfibers) for that matter.  Also the stiffer design means that they handle aggressive loading very well.

Thanks for the insight. I like to feel the head lagging a bit right at transition and that's missing with the Recoil 95 - for me.

Driver: Callaway Paradym X w/ HZRDUS Silver 50 5.5
5W: Callaway Mavrik Max w/ Riptide 60 5.5
5i: Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal w/ Recoil ESX 460 F3 

6i-GW: Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal Pro w/ Recoil ESX 460 F3
52*: Mizuno S23 S-Grind w/ Nippon Pro Modus 3 105 
58*: Mizuno S23 D-Grind w/ Nippon Pro Modus 3 105 
Putter: Yes! Hannah

1 hour ago, SteelyDan said:

Thanks for the insight. I like to feel the head lagging a bit right at transition and that's missing with the Recoil 95 - for me.

Then the steelfiber fc90's might be a better shaft for you - or you might also want to just try dropping down a flex and see if that improves the feel for you.

I have played various recoils over the past 5 years, mostly due to elbow problems.  I have tried 125 protos F4, 110 and and 95 F5s, proto 95 F5s, and now just in stock 95 F4s.

They clearly are better on the body than steel.  I've also tried steelfibers and much prefer the recoils.  Recoil will launch higher but due to the weighting swing weight out better for me, but don't balloon like I had feared. Definitely has a slight kick feel, not boardy at all to me, felt that describes steelfibers more. 

There is something about the way they load, full swings due launch high, but smooth swings produce a much more boring trajectory, this was very pronounced in the proto F5s. 

• Like 1

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 wood, Tensei AV Blue limited  75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV