2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

COVID-19 and tournaments (MOD EDIT: NO CORONAVIRUS DISCUSSIONS. KEEP RESPONSES ON TOPIC)

After doing my own research and some discussions I had last night my opinion is that the CoronaVirus is more dangerous than I though. With the flu you are looking at less than a 1% fatality rate. With the CoronVirus it is somewhere between 3%-5%. Numbers are are still coming in throughout the world and could obviously change for the worse or better, but right now that is where it sits. The virus is highly contagious because you can feel fine and spread the virus. Kids can contract the virus, but not necessarily get sick from it. With kids it is very similar to Hep A where it makes an adult extremely ill but a kid can test positive and have no side effects from it.

Right now we will be business as usual as it comes to golf. We are going to avoid tournaments like AJGA, Hurricane, or other tournaments that have an abundant amount of people flying in to play.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

What’s the mortality rate based on? Is it the overwhelming of the medical system like in Italy and where the population is over 65 which happens to be the age range for where the virus has the largest impact or is it the general consensus of the experts that will be the eventual rate. South Korea is under 1% as is the US to date.

Our local school district hasn't closed yet, but you can keep your kid out of school with no ramifications on absences (they are excused). School district sports, school dances, theater, etc... have been suspended.My company hasn't closed our local office yet, but they did close HQ on the east coast for 2 days this week to clean/disinfect the office due to someone being exposed to someone with COVID-19 (and they are now under quarantine).Our local Little League suspended.

I'm curious as to what the overall mortality rate truly is (across age groups). Someone probably has a website slicing and dicing it based upon known cases of COVID-19. "Known cases" being the key word because many cases may not be known or people may never present symptoms (very mild).

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

The US is not under 1%. If you do the math including active cases it is at 2.7%. However, you can't use active cases because those people haven't recovered. There have been 38 deaths in the states meanwhile only 15 people have fully recovered. There is not enough data to accurately give a percentage on what the fatality rate is.

Not enough data on recovery from South Korea as they have over 7000 active cases with 333 recoveries and 66 deaths.

Worldwide the Fatality rate only using Deaths and recoveries is over 6% fatality rate. I think China is the best stat there is. 65,995 cases of deaths 3,169 and recoveries 62,826. That is a mortality rate of 4.8 %.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

I got a letter from our school saying students will be bringing books home for spring break in the event of school is canceled they will go to a remote learning and they are looking into ect ect. From all my friends doing non golf sports everything is still on here a bit shocked by the NBA honestly. Now all the power 5 have canceled their conference tournaments. NHL has now told teams not to practice. Now the PGA starting Friday will have no fans at events at least until the Texas Open. Sports do a lot of things they take your mind off the reality of the world I sure hope this doesn't last but its starting to seem like its going to be here for a bit.

Thank you for actually doing some research and not going off of your "gut" like so many people are seeming to do. I trust medical professionals opinions on this way more than my own and the majority of them are VERY concerned. It's possible that we as a country are overblowing the whole thing, BUT given the stakes I think it's better to overreact NOW instead of looking back and saying we under-reacted.

Just my $.02.

Rather safe than sorry for these tournaments to cancel. I suspect all USKG to cancel nationwide. I'm happy we have a golf mat and net to hit into in the backyard during the next few weeks. Plus, we've got a batting tee for hitting and can work on our fastball in the backyard also. Everyone just be safe and wise.

If anyone is wondering how long this virus shutdown stuff may last, I would suggest at least 6-8 weeks. My company has offices all throughout China's major cities (ex: Shanghai, Beijing) All of our users started working from home around January 20th, and they are just now returning to the office next Monday. There is much concern of a second wave of a virus outbreak.

I asked our tour director about this as of yesterday USKG has no plans to cancel any events per him but with every pro sport not on hold that might change. He has control of the local ones but USKG can step in and override that. I would think USKG would not want to cancel something like worlds until it gets closer, it wouldn't surprise me to see them cancel this months regional but nothing as of yet. Has anyone talked to them or emailed them directly?

Just called USKG....

Nothing official yet but they are in a meeting right now so expect a release later today. The guy I spoke with told me he thinks the locals will continue as long as the local director wants to continue to run them. If people want to withdraw they can with a full refund due to this going on. In terms of regional he said he expects Jekyll to be canceled and probably the Texas Open but nothing in terms of Worlds will be decided for a little while again these are unofficial statements. I know in Texas some of the other tours are still operating under normal schedules but I bet that stops sooner than later.

Breaking news. The masters just postponed DCP, Masters and ANWA