2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Costco MGI Navigator AT Deal

Welp, I finally made the plunge. I've been lurking on the Costco MGI page for almost 2 years trying to talk myself into it. The cost is not a burden, however it's not like a new wedge that goes unnoticed. This kind of capital outlay is a green light to the missus to equal or exceed it in crafting equipment. 

I ended up calling Ron at Kaddymart in Oceanside, CA based on a recommendation in another WRX thread. He is very knowledgeable about the Navigator and I learned a few things from him. He has new ones, but he also gets all of Costco's returns and he has a lot of used, or "Demo" units for sale from $1099 - $1399. The difference in price is cosmetic as some of the carts didn't clean up as well. They all come with a new battery, all the extras that Costco includes and a 1 year warrant. Shipped for $25 and no tax if you're out of Calif.

He said he is shipping the same day as the order so hopefully I'll be able to update soon. Happy to finally be a member of the club.

https://kaddymart.com

• Thanks 1

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I've had my cart for 8-10 weeks and have got maybe 15-20 rounds on it.  I pretty much love it.  Have 2 questions:

- battery - should we be recharging frequently or letting the battery deplete itself as much as possible before recharging?  I've done 3 rounds since my last recharge and have 75% battery left, according to the display.  I want to go the next round or two without recharging just to see what the capability is.

- bag turning - I have a Sun Mountain 2.5 and the top of the leg assembly doesn't rest well in the upper bag cradle.  The bag continually shifts and rotates during usage, often leading to my towel hitting one of the rear wheels.  From behind the cart, pushing, it mostly rotates to the left, but sometimes to the right.  Is anyone else experiencing thing and has come up with a hack to stop this?  

Thanks.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond/Mitsubishi Pro White Tensei 1k

Callaway Epic Speed 3w

Honma TR21 5w
Callaway Rogue JDM 21 & 24 hybrids

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-AW

Callaway MD5 52/Full-Toe 58

Odyssey O-works #7s

6 hours ago, hanfrac said:

I've had my cart for 8-10 weeks and have got maybe 15-20 rounds on it.  I pretty much love it.  Have 2 questions:

- battery - should we be recharging frequently or letting the battery deplete itself as much as possible before recharging?  I've done 3 rounds since my last recharge and have 75% battery left, according to the display.  I want to go the next round or two without recharging just to see what the capability is.

When I spoke with Ron at Kaddymart we talked about this specifically. He said that while the battery will give you 36+ holes he recommends leaving it plugged in when not in use. The charger is smart and will not over charge, and if you keep draining the battery you shorten its life. I'm not an expert on the subject but he seemed pretty confident in his opinion.

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

23 minutes ago, RSinSG said:

When I spoke with Ron at Kaddymart we talked about this specifically. He said that while the battery will give you 36+ holes he recommends leaving it plugged in when not in use. The charger is smart and will not over charge, and if you keep draining the battery you shorten its life. I'm not an expert on the subject but he seemed pretty confident in his opinion.

I guess he should know.  However, having been told all of the right and wrong ways to keep your cell phone or computer charged, I figured there might be a right way to do it.  If Ron is right, the only reason not to charge after 18 holes if you're doing 36 holes in a single day.  Otherwise, take it home and charge it after every round.

Callaway Epic Speed 3w

Honma TR21 5w

Odyssey O-works #7s

Yes, I have been told by a good friend who is in the battery industry that we should charge after every round and leave the battery on the charger when not in use. This will actually extend the battery life on lithium.

As for the bag, Sun Mtn is the absolute worst for most carts. The footpad for the legs just inhibits it from seating. There are many bags that will work and they are talked about earlier in this thread. I am using a Ping Traverse and it works very well. I do miss my stand functionality for range sessions so I may look into a Bag Boy hybrid. It also has a stand mechanism like the Sun Mtn but theirs is very narrow and made to slip into the cutout on the MGI.

I am sure this article and others like it don't directly apply to the MGI battery, but this indicates that being at full charge puts stress on the battery.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

This article is probably more relevant

https://www.motocaddy.com/uk/blog/lithium-battery-care-guide/

Callaway Epic Speed 3w

Honma TR21 5w

Odyssey O-works #7s

• 2 weeks later...

Going to use mine for the first time tomorrow. Had to take a break from league play due to eye surgery but I've been doing some drivers training in my yard. It seems pretty simple to use and I'm looking forward to not having to push my Clicgear as good of a cart as it is. The drink holder is junk so I am using my Clicgear insulated cooler tube as it fits perfectly. I highly recommend the tube as it keeps your bottle a little cooler and its pretty large. I have a 40 oz Takeya thermos style bottle that fits nicely.

https://www.clicgearusa.com/collections/clicgear-accessories/products/clicgear-cooler-tube

Clicgear_Accessories_Cooler_tube_03_1920x.jpg

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

On 6/27/2020 at 5:54 AM, hurley999s said:

Also, I’d say your tipping over is totally related to hanging the cooler off the handle. I didn’t use my cooler but I’ve been experimenting with ways to strap it underneath the bag or between the frame and seat. Either way, weight low is good and what you want to do.

I finally used mine yesterday and I’m happy to report I didn’t run into anyone or anything like my buddy did when he got his. I did tip it over twice though when I wasn’t paying close enough attention and I’m wondering if it it was in part due to a 40 oz cooler I have hanging from one side of the handle. I’m also waiting for a Sun Mountain C130S bag I ordered and I’m using a SM 4.5 which isn’t very stable.

Even with the mishaps I really enjoyed not pushing a cart. Reminded me of playing with a caddie which I’ve only done a handful of times. 

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I put about 70 miles on the Zip Navigator and ended up selling it.

It is really awesome to walk down the fairway all by yourself.  

It is not awesome to devote so much attention to the cart.  I was never comfortable putting the remote in the cradle between shots, so I always had to dig it out of my pockets.  Driving the cart doesn't take a lot of attention, but it always takes some - enough to make it difficult to write scores down or pay attention to a conversation.  It is cool to drive it to the other side of the green so you don't have to walk around, but you will need to watch pretty closely while you do it.  I set up a charging station right next to my truck in the garage so charging hassle was limited, but still an extra thing to worry about.  The cart takes up almost double the space as a clik gear, and I have a lot of gear to pack for family golf so not ideal.

I agree the hassle is limited, and I can see why people enjoy these, but for me it was enough to take away from the golf experience.  This puts an electric cart on par with a normal push cart - plus I have to spend an extra $1,300. 

I have a SM 4.5 and I love my bag. I too am frustrated how to bag doesn't stay stay put on the cart very well. I was on MGIs website and come across this

https://us.mgigolf.com/products/mgi-small-stand-bag-adaptor-bundle

Has anybody tired it? I really hate shelling out more money but I really want my bag to fit.

On 9/14/2020 at 11:48 AM, joerosato said:

I have a SM 4.5 and I love my bag. I too am frustrated how to bag doesn't stay stay put on the cart very well. I was on MGIs website and come across this

Has anybody tired it? I really hate shelling out more money but I really want my bag to fit.

I thought about trying that but I think that is just a tighter bungie and a lift. The lift helps if your stand bag is too short to fit into the top. My main issue was all about the leg extender and not sure if that would help a Sun Mtn. Its not a ton of money though. Try it and let us know....

Has anyone used a Ping Hoofer on their MGI?  I am thinking that the flat bottom might work better on the MGI than the SM 2.5 that I use now.  I keep a handful of zip ties in my bag that I use to lock the stand legs so that the legs don't deploy on the days I use the Navigator.  But I would like to use one bag that is both a quality carry bag and not a force fit on the Navigator.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

On 8/21/2020 at 7:39 AM, Phreddy said:

Another fan here.  Mine came in May and I have used it non stop since then.  I started with a Sun Mountain 2.5 and put a zip tie around the leg mechanism so it wouldn't deploy.  Not a good fit, but it got me started.  The closest I've come to a tip/tragedy was when I was paying more attention to my up coming lie and thought I was pushing the turn button and instead pushed the accelerate button.  I got a little too close to the creek!  I should probably get a commission from MGI.  I now have two friends who have purchased the AT from Costco after walking rounds with me.  Mine is not the AT, and if I had it to do over again I would wish for the added stability of the AT with its wider front wheel base.  That said I've never had a tip over.  The only negative, and it is very minor, is that on uneven or harsh terrain your clubs really chatter.  That is a change from being a carry guy.  But again, a minor issue that in my mind is more than made up for by being a walker who now carries the sand bottle.  In my area they are still and oddity, but I enjoy the looks and the questions.  Tying a couple knots in the bottom bungee is a great idea.

Phred

I have had mine for 3 years now.  Still love and appreciate it every time I take out.  MGI should offer the AT wheel base separately for those of us that bought when it was not available.  Looks to snap on exactly like the regular. 

Edited by JMH1220

Got mine in April, will hit the 200 mile mark on it next round or two. No major issues, totally would buy it again. The remote is in my hand when walking and clipped to my belt behind me when swinging. No brainer easy. Only tough part is the heavier lift into my trunk on my tired back. I use a SM Sync bag that is meant for carts so the fit is pretty good. I keep it charged all the time in the garage, though I have used it a couple rounds in a row without charge and it was fine. In short, I love it. Named it Fluff.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Kai’li white 60

Callaway Paradym 15*
Titleist TSR2 21* hybrid Atmos blue
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-P

Titleist SM9 48*
Titleist SM7 54* & 58* Slate Blue
Ping Ketch/SC Select Newport II Midslant

On 9/14/2020 at 11:48 AM, joerosato said:

I've got the support block - it works well to lift my bag up - before it was too low and the upper cradle was barely hitting the bag (it's a ladies height bag) 

It snaps over the existing base. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of fantastic information in this thread for potential purchasers like me.   Thank you to all who have posted your experiences.

A couple of questions that I haven't seen addressed in the threads:     How does the AT perform in conditions where there was heavy rain in the prior days?  Does it have problems with the soggy, wet or muddy turf?    And, how about rounds where you are halfway through and it starts raining?  Any issues there with the unit?

Many thanks for any information or experiences you can provide.    

14 hours ago, Ruleschamp said:

Lots of fantastic information in this thread for potential purchasers like me.   Thank you to all who have posted your experiences.

A couple of questions that I haven't seen addressed in the threads:     How does the AT perform in conditions where there was heavy rain in the prior days?  Does it have problems with the soggy, wet or muddy turf?    And, how about rounds where you are halfway through and it starts raining?  Any issues there with the unit?

Many thanks for any information or experiences you can provide.    

I have played with mine in rain a couple of times. No issues at all. I usually have my umbrella and it keeps the unit from getting completely drenched but it doesn't seem to matter really. I played this past week after an overnight rain and the course was soaked. It got very wet from the dew and fairways being soaked. I caught lots of grass clippings and the unit was very wet. No issues again overall. When it is really wet I try to keep my pace slower on hills as the wheels can start slipping from wet grass and it can tip. Nothing a guiding hand can't fix though.

MGI has some great videos in YouTube about maintenance. I developed a some sort of clicking sound in mine when under stress or bumps. I basically used WD40 in the area when the unit folds and it stopped right away. When it gets wet you just have to use common sense and normal maintenance.

My club has 15-20 members with electric carts. There are only 2 MGIs. Every one have said they would by the MGI if they could do it over again over anything after playing with me.

Edited by awtryau89
  • Like 1

My club must be up to about 20 Zip Navigators at this point.  I was actually the first, but I had bought the X5 initially.  Loved it, but seeing everybody else with the remote, and the benefits of that, caused me to return the X5 in favor of picking up a Navigator AT.  The Navigator is amazing, and the AT is incrementally better than the Navigator.  I went with Ron at Kaddymart to save some cash, and couldn't be happier.  Outstanding buggies. 

FWIW, I went through several golf bags before I found one that fit nicely with the MGI.  Callaway 2020 Chev stand bag is a good fit.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 and 5 Woods, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

On 9/25/2020 at 3:18 PM, Kimphin1 said:

I've got the support block - it works well to lift my bag up - before it was too low and the upper cradle was barely hitting the bag (it's a ladies height bag) 

It snaps over the existing base. 

question for Kimphin1 do you have the MGI Navigator AT? I just went on the MGI website and I am not sure the support block fits the AT, just the regular navigator.

I agree with the previous post that the drink holder is junk, both mine and my buddy’s broke off. I’ll probably tri the Clicgear. I’m also looking for a accessory/storage bag to hang from the cart or my bag to hold a sand bottle and general stuff. Anybody using anything like that?  After the drink holder broke, I don’t trust another mgi attachment. 

With regard to stand bags on the MGI, 99% of the time I use my Vessel/Cobra stand bag on the MGI.  It sits well and the biggest plus is that this bag has a little velcro strap to keep the stand legs from kicking open on the cart.  This is important because when I have tried a different bag like my SM 2.5 or 3.5 the legs will kick out and will rub against the wheels or even get in the way of the wheels.  I was thinking maybe keeping a rubber band in the pocket would work to wrap around the legs so they cannot extend out.  In a pinch, I turned the bag sideways on the MGI which worked although it looked pretty ghetto.

I've had my Navigator AT now for a few months a good number of rounds and absolutely love it.

Titleist Tsi3 8* HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX

Callaway Epic Flash FW 17* PX HZRDUS Smoke
Callaway Apex Pro Hybrid 19* Ventus Blue
Callaway Apex Pro 5-PW Nippon Modus Pro
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL GW KBS $ Taper
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56*/10* DG Spinner
Callaway Mack Daddy PM 60*/12* KBS Hi Rev 2.0
Byron Morgan DH89
Taylormade TP5x

1 hour ago, portland said:

Where do you guys put the remote when swinging?  It looks a little bulky? Just wondering if it fits in your back pocket? 

I don't find the remote to be bulky.  There are times I slide it into my pocket but more often than not I simply clip it into the dock on the cart.  It really hasn't been a limiting factor at all.

Phred

• Thanks 1

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

20 hours ago, portland said:

Where do you guys put the remote when swinging?  It looks a little bulky? Just wondering if it fits in your back pocket? 

Most of the time I put it in my back pocket.  I have the Clicgear rangefinder bag on my MGI and sometimes will throw it in there.  I don't know if I have ever used the cradle underneath.

CGRB01__01.png

• Thanks 1

Titleist Tsi3 8* HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX

Callaway Epic Flash FW 17* PX HZRDUS Smoke
Callaway Apex Pro Hybrid 19* Ventus Blue
Callaway Apex Pro 5-PW Nippon Modus Pro
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL GW KBS $ Taper
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56*/10* DG Spinner
Callaway Mack Daddy PM 60*/12* KBS Hi Rev 2.0
Byron Morgan DH89
Taylormade TP5x

I ordered my MGI Nav - should be here next week.  Went back and forth on the X3 vs the Nav and decided that the remote capability was worth it.

I signed up for a golf galaxy 15% coupon and it worked on the MGI - that lowers the price to $1270 from $1495 

Taylormade M1 10.5*
Callaway GBB Epic 15*
Callaway XR 19*
Taylormade p790 5-P,A
Titleist Vokey SM6 54*, 58*, 60*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 3
Srixon Z Star

Ok, I broke down and ordered the AT bundle from Costco today.   If this turns out to be a dud I'm coming after all of you!  haha

Actually very excited.  I had gotten so tired of the manual push cart that I started just carrying a Sunday bag with 7 clubs.   This will let me bring me full bag back into play.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 12:26 PM, steveoly32 said:

With regard to stand bags on the MGI, 99% of the time I use my Vessel/Cobra stand bag on the MGI.  It sits well and the biggest plus is that this bag has a little velcro strap to keep the stand legs from kicking open on the cart.  This is important because when I have tried a different bag like my SM 2.5 or 3.5 the legs will kick out and will rub against the wheels or even get in the way of the wheels.  I was thinking maybe keeping a rubber band in the pocket would work to wrap around the legs so they cannot extend out.  In a pinch, I turned the bag sideways on the MGI which worked although it looked pretty ghetto.

I've had my Navigator AT now for a few months a good number of rounds and absolutely love it.

My SM bag has little bungee loops so I can secure the legs. They are kept tight to the bag and don’t get in the way. But, I have ordered a SM C130s as I think the 4.5 is too small and the setup unstable.

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs