Any single digit guys playing Cleveland CBX2 wedges?

hammergolf

1 hour ago, halliedog said:

I got to thinking about my lost 5-7 yds I'm seeing.  My new "PW" is 44* and + 1/2" with KBS Tour V, SW D5.  I was comparing the 48/52* CBX2 with the stock DG 115 at stock length and wasn't seeing the distance gapping I was hoping for.  Also SW was lighter about 3 SW points with the CBX2s. 

Just last night installed some KBS 610 Wedge S and cut them to same length as PW and adjusted SW to same in all 3 (D5).  Also have all 3 bent to same lie (66* - 2 flat) and put same grips (midsize Gripmaster Roos) on the CBX2s.  Now they all 3 should be about the same "specs", other than actual head design and lofts.  Will see what this does for my gapping.  

If the weather holds I'm playing 36 Fri and Sat and 18 Sun, so should have 90 holes in with them by next Monday and can report back with results.  (I'm playing to around a 6hc).

Did you happen to weigh the CBX2 head? 

This will be my first time putting together irons (I've done a number of graphite 3w/Dr shafts) when I install the 610's. What is the best way to adjust weight?

On 5/5/2021 at 8:42 AM, Bar_Stroll said:

Did you happen to weigh the CBX2 head? 

This will be my first time putting together irons (I've done a number of graphite 3w/Dr shafts) when I install the 610's. What is the best way to adjust weight?

Sorry, I did not weigh them.  I was doing this at my apartment away from my home workshop, and did not have my kitchen scale with me, just my SW scale, some epoxy, a few various tip weights,  some grip tape/solvent, and a few various other odds and ends. 

I wanted them to be the same length and SW (or a little higher) as the New Level PW, so I put that on the SW scale to get a measurement, then cut shafts to length and dry fit everything using a split grip to get as close as I could.  I ended up using a 6g brass tip weight in both.  The 52* came out a little heavier, but I didn't mind - I like the SW to increase a little on the more lofted wedges I'll tend to use for partial shots and around the green.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

• 4 weeks later...

Currently play 50/54/60 SM6 vokeys.  After having one too many awful wedge approach days after striping driver/3 wood off the tee I decided I needed a change.  Yes I know its me not the club but I figured just looking down at something different would help,  Bought a CBX2 56 deg in black finish.  Hit balls and chipped/pitched a few this AM,  Have to say I am impressed.   Looks great at address, surprisingly nice softish feel and the grind bounce worked really well both in the rough and tighter fairway lies.   Will see how it performs on the course and what its like out of the sand but if its still good I can see myself getting a full set of these.

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

Forgot to mention - a few years back I tried the original CBXs and they really did not work.  Did not like the feel and the turf interaction.  This 56 CBX2 is much superior and really like the black finish.

• Like 1

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

23 hours ago, MyShortGameSucks said:

Currently play 50/54/60 SM6 vokeys.  After having one too many awful wedge approach days after striping driver/3 wood off the tee I decided I needed a change.  Yes I know its me not the club but I figured just looking down at something different would help,  Bought a CBX2 56 deg in black finish.  Hit balls and chipped/pitched a few this AM,  Have to say I am impressed.   Looks great at address, surprisingly nice softish feel and the grind bounce worked really well both in the rough and tighter fairway lies.   Will see how it performs on the course and what its like out of the sand but if its still good I can see myself getting a full set of these.

I’m not a low capper by any means, but I’ve been playing to an 8 the last several seasons.  About 3 years ago I got a set of the OG CBX wedges and my short game really improved with them.  Nothing fancy about my playing - mostly chips and pitches, the rare flop.  I could execute the basics with the CBXs and they worked for me.

I got an inflated head about it and the next season I thought I’d “upgrade” out of those game improvement shovels and got a set of RTX-4s.  My short game was never the same with them.  The harder I tried with the RTXs, the worse my short game got. I was all over the place.

Last season I ditched the RTXs and got a set of CBX-2s in 50/54/58.  My short game slowly came back.  I’m sticking with them.  I like them so much that I bought a pair of OG CBX in 50/56 for my practice bag.  I know they’re not for everyone, but they work for me and I feel confident standing over them.

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 D (10.0*) HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60

Titleist TS2 F (16.5*) Tensei AV Blue 65

Titleist TS2 H (21.0*) Tensei AV Blue 70

PING i525 Irons (4-PW) Project X IO 105

Cleveland RTX Zipcore (50) DG Spinner
Cleveland RTX Full Face (56) DG Spinner
Bettinardi BB-8 Wide (SuperStroke 1.0)

• 3 months later...

Good topic here. I just picked up a 56 and 60 CBX2 at Scheels off the rack after stubbing a few partial wedges today after blasting drives down the fairway. “Traditional” wedges starting to look and feel like razor blades to me, requiring great precision of low point control I can’t seem to master. Would love some more smooth glides into the ball when I catch it about a 1/2” heavy, rather than stab it into the ground and lay the sod over it. I think we’ve all been duped on what wedges we should be playing. So much help in the irons over the last 20 years. Why not wedges? Will get these out soon for testing and report back. I’m a 3. Absolutely no ego when it comes to equipment. Whatever gets you the lowest score. 

ps I love the CBX2 commercial: “You got this, right?” “No, you don’t got this.” 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by bobbyclampett!!
  • Like 2

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

First impressions are very favorable. I went straight to our 50 yard short game practice area with my shag bag and found the tightest lies available. It felt like cheating. No matter where I contacted the ground (as long as it wasn’t thin), these wedges just slid right into the ball with zero digging. Felt like I was nipping everything perfectly, even though I wasn’t. The wider sole and high bounce inspired confidence. I did not have the feeling that the leading edge was too far off the ground, or even off the ground at all. Seemed to sit flush, even on tight lies. I was definitely able to lay the 60 open for even higher, softer flops, even off tight lies. Chipping was also easy. So were 3/4 shots. Lots of confidence.  

The only drawback I can think of is they didn’t feel as “solid” on longer shots, with more of the weight around the perimeter and less weight behind the sweet spot. It was certainly more vague contact off the face. I also worry, paradoxically maybe, that the distance and spin will not be as consistent as a more traditional blade wedge, as the cavity back is designed to make off center hits go further, meaning there will likely be a bigger variation in distances. Although I’m not sure about that. The initial testing has been so good that I’m going to continue to test up against my Glide 2.0s. I will continue to keep you updated. 

• Like 2

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

Scratch here and I got a CBX2 gap wedge cause it blended nicely with the ZX5 and it’s a nifty little club. Yea the sole is wide but it’s V-sole and at address, it looks really good, just slightly larger than a normal wedge. It’s forgiving on full shots and I can still hit my chips and pitches

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

• 1 month later...

These have been a game changer for me. The forgiveness and spin are unreal. Have dropped from a 14 last fall to 9.3 today. No longer than other wedges, but the minimal loss of distance on high toe shots really help me. Have the 58 and 50; looking to add the 54, but Cleveland has been out of stock for months. 

Single cap here. I have a CBX2 48* that I recently reshafted

Originally it was shafted with a Catalyst 100 CW 6.0, it came in at D0.  I wanted a D2 to line it up with the rest of my irons (see Sig)

When I pulled it I noticed the a open well inside. The new shaft was a KBS TGI 100 wedge shaft. I run a 58gm grip so even with a 8gm tip weight, I had to add another 4 gms into the well using lead weight to reach my D2.

Now, it is a totally different beast. Much more better feel in my swing and crispy, clean and solid contact. Very much improved. I have the TGI 100s in my PW, now my CBX2 48* and probably next month, i'll switch my 56* Full Face Cleveland over to the TGI 100 as well. I really love the accuracy and control of these TGI. It was very apparent with this switch. I would not have known as I really liked the Catalyst as well but this was an eye opener.

Edited by SwingBlues

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Picked up a CBX2 60 degree wedge earlier this year.  Love it.  It's forgiving with consistent distance on full shots - 85 yards for me - half shots, and chips around the green.  Versatile, too.  Because of the sole grind, I can close the face and pinch it off the turf or open the face and hit a chunk flop shot out of the rough. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

I dumped the 50* for the iron set gap wedge but the 54* is really good for how I use my sand wedge. Full shots and square faced chips. 

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

I use GIs but couldn’t get use to the size of the 56 SW. So back with a more traditional wedge . Strictly a sight thing.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

• 10 months later...

.355 by the way. Also glad I didn’t sell mine. It’s actually saving shots with it.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

On 5/21/2020 at 12:38 PM, hammergolf said:

Been seeing rave reviews of these wedges. The tech and grinds seem very logical and the yardage dispertion and spin numbers I've seen on reviews is really good. I'm a very good wedge player, but the thought of making my slight misses better defintely has me intrigued.

Not exactly what you asked - but I play with a +3 hcap player, who uses game improvement irons...non-fitted TM M6's and his most used club is the PW from that set.

I know Mark Crossfield plays a 52* I believe. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

• 4 months later...

Resurrecting an old thread... I bought a 48* CBX2 off ebay yesterday on a whim because it fit the gap between my new pitching wedge at 43* and my 54* Ping glide stealth.  I must say, after reading this thread, I feel a lot better about my purchase!  I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

• Like 1

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue

Maltby TS3 6-Gap w/Nippon N.S. Pro 1050GH

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams

GP Side Saddle Broomstick, 45"

2 hours ago, sm_watts said:

Resurrecting an old thread... I bought a 48* CBX2 off ebay yesterday on a whim because it fit the gap between my new pitching wedge at 43* and my 54* Ping glide stealth.  I must say, after reading this thread, I feel a lot better about my purchase!  I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

You will really like the decision you made and there’s a good chance you add a 54*

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

7 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

You will really like the decision you made and there’s a good chance you add a 54*

I don’t know, my stealth 2.0’s are my favorite clubs in my bag!

Ping g410 4h Tensei blue

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

6 minutes ago, sm_watts said:

I don’t know, my stealth 2.0’s are my favorite clubs in my bag!

I had Stealth 2.0s too.

10 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

I had Stealth 2.0s too.

I feel like I'm in an old west showdown... but did you use Ping g410 hybrids???!!! 🔫

Ping g410 4h Tensei blue

Just now, sm_watts said:

I feel like I'm in an old west showdown... but did you use Ping g410 hybrids???!!! 🔫

Lol, as a matter of fact I did, but switched to the g425 last year.

11 hours ago, sm_watts said:

I went from the Stealth to the CBX.

And I was 'pry from my cold dead hands' about my G410 22* hybrid...and replaced it with a Cleveland as well.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

9 hours ago, mantan said:

I went from the Stealth to the CBX.

And I was 'pry from my cold dead hands' about my G410 22* hybrid...and replaced it with a Cleveland as well.

Haha, I’m not against Cleveland- I stumbled upon a Launcher Halo 3 wood and put it in my bag. First couple of times at the simulator has been very impressive. And I just sold my i210’s and bought a set of Launcher XL irons with Recoil 95 shafts. I’m not all-in on Cleveland yet, but they have half my bag now. 

• Like 1

Ping g410 4h Tensei blue

12 minutes ago, sm_watts said:

Haha, I’m not against Cleveland- I stumbled upon a Launcher Halo 3 wood and put it in my bag. First couple of times at the simulator has been very impressive. And I just sold my i210’s and bought a set of Launcher XL irons with Recoil 95 shafts. I’m not all-in on Cleveland yet, but they have half my bag now. 

I LOVED my G410 hybrid. It was my security blanket and my favorite club in the bag. I was bummed when the head flew off at the driving range on a Friday evening. I went through the embarrassment of asking people to stop hitting while I ran out to retrieve it.  I had a tournament the next morning and the PGA Tour SS couldn't fix it in time. I bought a G425 but it just wasn't the same. I got my G410 fixed and went back to the magic. And seriously considered buying a backup one.

I bought a Cleveland Hy-wood last year to replace my 5W. It was so good that I took a flier on the 4H. Now the beloved G410 sits in the spare glaring at me like a bitter ex-wife.  As much as I loved the G410, the Cleveland has become an even bigger security blanket.  It is SO good.

Cleveland is an odd space right now. Dunlop has pivoted the brand marketing almost too hard to the SGI space to position Srixon as their 'player' brand.  As a result, some of their stuff gets less consideration from hardcore golfers.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack'