PXG 0811 X+ Prototype Round 1

Lobber

This proto does NOT sit closed to me.   I can’t stand that look and this thing looks square as can be.    It’s one reason I love my proto 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

15 minutes ago, Minarets said:

This proto does NOT sit closed to me.   I can’t stand that look and this thing looks square as can be.    It’s one reason I love my proto 

My closed comment was for Gen 4 X as far as slightly closed. Proto X is fairly straight to me and Proto X+ is rounded and open

• Like 2

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

21 minutes ago, ajlacombe said:

My closed comment was for Gen 4 X as far as slightly closed. Proto X is fairly straight to me and Proto X+ is rounded and open

Oh sorry about that.  

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

1 hour ago, ajlacombe said:

I feel the Gen4 AV design makes it look more closed than it really is. I as well hate the closed look of drivers, but based on performance, it's a winner along with the Protos. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, bandrz said:

Question about this driver as I just picked up a head and threw in a shaft I had.  Does the screw "click" on the sleeve when you tighten it?  I'm afraid i'm going to crack this thing but i haven't gotten it to click like the Ping sleeves.  

Yes, must make it click.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

8 hours ago, bandrz said:

Question about this driver as I just picked up a head and threw in a shaft I had.  Does the screw "click" on the sleeve when you tighten it?  I'm afraid i'm going to crack this thing but i haven't gotten it to click like the Ping sleeves.  

Make sure you look at the shaft screw in the head if you are having issues. I got one with "goop" all over the screw, which made it impossible to seat the shaft correctly.  I removed the screw, cleaned up the goop, and it works fine.  I wonder if the goop altered the head weight but it seems to be fine. I'm using an Autoflex shaft so perhaps less weight is better.

Edited by wchahn

10 hours ago, wchahn said:

Make sure you look at the shaft screw in the head if you are having issues. I got one with "goop" all over the screw, which made it impossible to seat the shaft correctly.  I removed the screw, cleaned up the goop, and it works fine.  I wonder if the goop altered the head weight but it seems to be fine. I'm using an Autoflex shaft so perhaps less weight is better.

Mine had the same stuff on the screw when I got it.

I only have 6 rounds in with mine so far. The X+ is the real deal. I’m absolutely loving everything about it, look, sound, feel, and of course the performance. 

• Like 3
Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

52 minutes ago, GC70 said:

I only have 6 rounds in with mine so far. The X+ is the real deal. I’m absolutely loving everything about it, look, sound, feel, and of course the performance. 

I couldn’t agree more with you. Played here in the OC California today on family vacation at Oak Creek and the Proto+ was awesome. Just loving this head and the Velo red more and more every week. 

DA0D949E-47E5-4A79-A76B-9640E3BD1EBC.jpeg

A6F86230-1AFB-4BE8-A8D8-BA4377683DF5.jpeg

• Like 2

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

1 hour ago, slow_roll said:

I just received my PXG 0341 X PROTO FAIRWAYS....by decreasing loft it will open the face? 

Yes and flatten the lie angle 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone could comment on my recent driver numbers, and any particular changes I should make to optimize distance, including a shaft change, settings or weight adjustment, set-up, drills, etc: 

club: proto X+ 10.5 turned to 9 degrees with diamana S+ shaft in regular at the standard 45", heavy weight in front

data:  SS 95.4 MPH, ball speed 132 mph, smash factor 1.38, carry avg 202.3, total avg 215, spin 4118, AOA +1.5 degrees, launch angle 17 degrees, height 107, landing 45.9 degrees, club path -1.4 degrees

I am a 25 HCP and working with an instructor. He is not as familiar with PXG, but he did recommend that I keep the length at 45" and not to shorten the length.  My take away is that the smash factor is far from ideal, and I need to work on getting more center face contact, which should improve the ball speed and reduce spin.  I often hit high on the face, which I believe leads to the higher than ideal launch angle and high spin. The recommendation was to use foot powder spray or contact tape and focus on strike location. 

I apologize if I should be posting this in the Instruction forum instead of equipment, but I was hoping to see if any equipment changes (shaft, settings, weights, etc) would help. Thanks.

3 hours ago, NewToGolf19 said:

I was wondering if anyone could comment on my recent driver numbers, and any particular changes I should make to optimize distance, including a shaft change, settings or weight adjustment, set-up, drills, etc: 

club: proto X+ 10.5 turned to 9 degrees with diamana S+ shaft in regular at the standard 45", heavy weight in front

data:  SS 95.4 MPH, ball speed 132 mph, smash factor 1.38, carry avg 202.3, total avg 215, spin 4118, AOA +1.5 degrees, launch angle 17 degrees, height 107, landing 45.9 degrees, club path -1.4 degrees

I am a 25 HCP and working with an instructor. He is not as familiar with PXG, but he did recommend that I keep the length at 45" and not to shorten the length.  My take away is that the smash factor is far from ideal, and I need to work on getting more center face contact, which should improve the ball speed and reduce spin.  I often hit high on the face, which I believe leads to the higher than ideal launch angle and high spin. The recommendation was to use foot powder spray or contact tape and focus on strike location. 

I apologize if I should be posting this in the Instruction forum instead of equipment, but I was hoping to see if any equipment changes (shaft, settings, weights, etc) would help. Thanks.

Man, so many things here and you will get a bunch of comments/recommendations 🙂  What affects the launch more IMO is your angle of attack on the strike.  Hit down on the ball and increase backspin, hit up and you decrease spin.  This is because of dynamic loft is how that club is delivered to the ball.

The delivery of the club will also be controlled by the shaft and how it bends into impact - is the shaft bending much and is it bending in a beneficial or detrimental way.  For me if the shaft flexes too much my drives will go all over, and if it keeps up the shots are way more controlled and the strikes are more central.

This does not mean I swing an Extra Stiff shaft - far from it - I hit a 57g stiff shaft and it is perfect.  I can feel it flex but if I want to go after a shot, I can swing with everything I have and I rarely ever get a shot where the shaft did not act predictably and keep up.

So that is a long winded way of saying you have to hit a lot of balls with different setups to see where you are to start, and how things change as changes are made.  You have to be careful not to change your swing during the fitting to align with the shaft.  You want to swing like you and see what happens, then try to align with the shaft.  The reason is that under pressure you are going to swing like you and you do not want to hit a low left snap hook when you are under pressure 🙂 

With your numbers the backspin is too high - you should be able to get out to 255 with that swing speed, but you have to cut that spin in half and increase the smash (better strike).  When you start to lock in the shaft you will be amazed at how big of an effect it will have on ball flight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NewToGolf19 said:

Based on your info, you're using a wet noodle for a shaft which is causing low smash and high spin IMO. Seems like the strike is all over the face. The flex and shaft characteristics in this shaft are too weak for your swing speed and type of swing I'm willing to bet. I only get decent results with those Diamanas if I play 70g X flex as I don't have the smoothest transition and need something which will keep up. We can be friendly, just not long term friends if you know what I mean.

You might want to look into finding a shaft which feels a little firmer with torque from 2.8 to 3.3 range in a S flex, maybe a R flex depending on the manufacturer. I wouldn't break the bank and go get fit for a premium high-end shaft until you improve as a ball striker, just wasting money. But there are a lot of shafts from Aldila or Project X which can be had on the cheap, and will help you improve your ball striking and results with your driver. Also will make golf a lot more enjoyable for you as well. Nothing worse than having struggles off the tee! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/19/2021 at 11:49 AM, NewToGolf19 said:

Generally speaking, the heavy weight forward increases distance, the heavy weight in the rear increases forgiveness.  Play around with it and see what happens, maybe a weight changes helps improve finding the center of the face.  That will likely be one of the biggest changes, is just finding the center of the face.  My average drive, near center strike, is around 265/270 with a 106 MPH swing speed.  When I find the sweet spot, I will hit 285. 

Maybe adding some weight to the driver head will help you "feel it more" and find the face.  Buying a couple weights from PXG is a pretty cheap way to play around with it.

Also I don't see the face angle listed, but face to path is likely causing spin AND loss of distance.  If you club path is -1.4 degrees (which is not too bad) but your face angle is +3 degrees (just picking a number) you are essentially delivering a glancing blow to the ball rather than a direct hit.  What is going to be better contact?  A 100% power, but a glancing blow?  Or an 85% power, but a direct strike?  

If you're hitting it really high on the face, try teeing it a little lower.  Not every needs the 3-1/2" tees, or to tee it sky high.  I'd love to have your positive angle of attack.  I can't do much better than half a degree negative - thus I have the Proto X and not the X+.

You could try a counterbalanced shaft?  It made a world of difference to me to "finding" the head during my swing.  HZRDUS Smoke Yellow has pair nicely with the Proto X for me.  Can probably find a used one for $100 or less.  It is one of the heavier driver heads out there if I recall correctly.

If it were me, I'd start with cheapest and go from there.  Play with tee height, ball position in stance (move it back slightly to get it closer to low point of your swing), buy a few weights from PXG, etc. etc. before I start messing with shafts.  But this is Golf WRX -- so go buy a Ventus Black 6X and fix all your problems  (just kidding).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/30/2021 at 1:40 PM, Minarets said:

So got my driver now asked for it to come in -.75° setting and it came in standard which was actually a blessing as the driver sits prob 2° open in STD which is perfect. Shake it came around C8/9 when I asked for D4 so just waiting for a weight to come in the post before hitting it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, j-daniel said:

So got my driver now asked for it to come in -.75° setting and it came in standard which was actually a blessing as the driver sits prob 2° open in STD which is perfect. Shake it came around C8/9 when I asked for D4 so just waiting for a weight to come in the post before hitting it.

If the specs are off you can do a spec check and get it sorted - they are very good about that stuff.

• Like 1

Anyone have any of the weight kits they are looking to part with ? Awaiting my proto x+ , would like to get some weight in the toe area like TXG and SwingFit have showed to test out. 

Callaway Rogue 9* , VA Vylyn 65 Four (SST) , Optifit (-1, N), MCC +4  Align (1 wrap)

Mizuno CLK 19*, VA Slay 85 four (SST), Hosel (+1), MCC +4  Align (1 wrap)

Callaway Rogue Pro Irons 5, PW (-1 degree flat, -.25 short), Project X Rifle 6.0 (SST),  MCC +4  Align (1 wrap)

Cleveland CBX 52* (bent to 54*),  CBX 60* (bent to 58*), Project X Rifle 5.5 (SST), MCC +4  Align (1 wrap)

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5 Flare neck, Pistol Grip Grip 

1 hour ago, robr10 said:

Anyone have any of the weight kits they are looking to part with ? Awaiting my proto x+ , would like to get some weight in the toe area like TXG and SwingFit have showed to test out. 

Having that toe weight is the reason I ordered the proto x+ instead of going with the Gen 4. I ordered mine July 12, along with the weight kit, and still showing order received.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, phil75070 said:

Having that toe weight is the reason I ordered the proto x+ instead of going with the Gen 4. I ordered mine July 12, along with the weight kit, and still showing order received.

This toe weight port is a big part of the reason I have stayed with my two ProtoX+ heads as my gamers (other than a round or two...always play it 5grams toe, 12.5 front and the heel and rear at 2.5 grams).  The other is the fact that it sits a touch open in the "PXG" or "STANDARD" setting.  These two elements allow for free (hard as you can put a down swing on it) with out my dreaded fear of left going left.  With the understated visuals at address, just works so well and is really the second most "safe" stick in my gamer bag (to putter).

Many don't need the toe port and have really done well with the neutral Gen4X head (they all seem to get used to the crown). Its definitely lower spin/ similar launch angle as a Proto+ head even with the Proto+ utilizing the 15gram weight in the front port from my testing. You can always get 5grams of hot melt in the toe on the Gen4X head for this and if I ever wear my two Proto+ heads out, this is probably the way I would go.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, phil75070 said:

Update: Info given to Fedex. They are saying delivery Friday, the 30th, but haven't actually picked up the package.

Got my 0811X+ Proto yesterday and went for a brief range session. Unfortunately, the weight kit I ordered was not included despite the fact that everything on the website and even the packing lists showed it was included. I called and was told the weight kits were backordered and should ship separately early next week (fingers crossed).

I loved the sound and feel and feel with the heavy weight forward. I did find I hit more of a fade with it than my Epic Flash so I put that heavy weight in the heel and it helped though I would love to have the weight kit so I can keep the heavy weight in front, maybe going 5g in the heel. 

At the standard 10.5° loft launch was high and the ball seemed to carry well. However, I wanted to see what lowering the loft would do but when I went to adjust the loft I could not get the screw to "catch". Fortunately, the PXG guys were at the end of the range so I took it to them and there was a boatload of epoxy on the screw and in the sleeve. They were able to remove enough of it to get the head seated but I had to really clean the screw and sleeve thoroughly once I got home. 

Now I'm anxious to get this thing out on the course. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, phil75070 said:

However, I wanted to see what lowering the loft would do but when I went to adjust the loft I could not get the screw to "catch". Fortunately, the PXG guys were at the end of the range so I took it to them and there was a boatload of epoxy on the screw and in the sleeve. They were able to remove enough of it to get the head seated but I had to really clean the screw and sleeve thoroughly once I got home. 

Now I'm anxious to get this thing out on the course. 

This epoxy/goop thing is really weird. I had this too - their quality control on this is silly.

2 minutes ago, wchahn said:

This epoxy/goop thing is really weird. I had this too - their quality control on this is silly.

It is most likely Hot Melt - which is easy to get in the wrong place, but I am not sure why it would be on the screw - epoxy would be even stranger and also much harder to get off.

The one thing I think PXG is lacking in their process is a double check.  I would never run an operation that did not have it and an ID of who did the second check.  They say final inspection on clubs which should be the double check, but how you have something on the attachment screw and it passes final inspection is hard to imagine - or shipping out an order with 1 of two items in the box 🙂 

To be fair they have made modifications for the better in everything they do in the last year.