Is a Two Piece Ball a Step Back?

Girevik

I agree with the Q-Star Tour recommendations. It’s much better than the 2-piece Surlyn cover options for me, and you can get it for cheap.

If you’re in Europe, check out Decathlon. Their Inesis Tour 900 ball is very good and a steal.

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

The answer to this question, like most golf ball questions, is really about what you want out of the game. There are lots of guys who play whatever they find or are given, and play well. There are lots of guys who play something cheap, and play pretty well that way, too. In any given round, there is no way to quantify the difference that one golf ball vs. another would have made; you know only what you did shoot, never what you would have shot. And a lot of guys don't find the difference between shooting 85 and 84 very compelling anyway. They don't carry a handicap, they don't play competitively, they don't pay much attention to things like club fitting, and they're fine with the way they approach the game, including what golf ball they play. So realbly, all golf ball questions start with the question, "What do you want out of this?"

And IF the answer to that question is, "I want to play as well as I possibly can, every time I play.", then yes, a two piece ball IS a step back. The biggest requirement to play as well as you can is that you play the SAME ball all the time, but beyond that basic fact, it is harder to control a two piece ball off irons; it just is. Ironically, most get the meaning of that backwards and say that a lesser player doesn't need a three or four piece ball, that only good players do, but if anything, it's the other way around. A good player can adjust; a lesser player can't.

The simplest way to put this is that a two piece ball slides up the face of an iron, while a three or four piece ball rolls up the face, with the difference meaning less spin off an iron off the two piece ball. That makes roll out less controllable and less predictable, and the game is already hard enough without adding that.

Cost is a valid reason to play a two piece ball, but beyond that there just aren't any good reasons to use a ball that performs at a lower level. And two piece balls DO perform at a lower level; there's just no way around that.

• Like 1

Well, I want to play as well as I can. I take lessons, and while you won't see me playing in tournaments I take it seriously and want to keep improving. However there are financial considerations. I've joined a club this year so am playing WAY WAY more than I have in the past, plus the course if fairly challenging with a lot of trouble so if I'm playing poorly I can go through balls quickly (plus I'm a cheapskate and hate throwing away money). If a ball performed comparably, or close to it, I'd like to save some money.

But, I guess the bottom line is that I won't know how much a ball affects my game until I give it a try. Too bad I don't have access to a Track Man I could use to put different ball through the paces and see how they compare. I guess if I'm not hitting a lot of greens from 120+ yards out, spin doesn't really matter anyway. I'm not going to get much spin with ANY ball if I'm using short chips and pitches to get on the green.

Sto Pro Veritate

For those who don't know already....

The Hammer Control is a great ball. From what we've gathered its an,updated version of the D2+Feel. Most people are uses to top flites feeling like rocks, but the cover is really nice on these. I picked up 8 boxes during the BOGO and it's my main ball right now.

They make a similar ball in a 3 piece called the Gamer, but i honestly haven't tested it enough to see if its worth the price difference. The covers feel almost identical though as I cant accurately pick one out by feel in my hands(and finger nail scratch test).

If I am playing a course where i absolutely have to use a urethane ball i use the Q-star Tour.

You don't need access to a Trackman; the testing is being done at all swing speeds, and it's being done independently from the manufacturers so that marketing hype gets filtered out. I'm not sure what's allowed here in terms of posting links to other competing websites, but Today's Golfer did an incredibly extensive test a year or so ago that's easy to find, and there is a similar site to this one that does extensive testing on golf balls every year. Those tests are NOT hard to find, and they'll give you more info that you can digest in one sitting, I promise you.

I feel your pain about the finances; I'm a retired high school teacher/coach, and money matters to me now just like it always did. Not as much as when I had to take care of young kids, but it still matters. Again, the biggest thing to remember about the ball you pick is that you need to play the same ball all the time. But there ARE three and four piece urethane cover balls available at prices that are comparable to two piece balls, and durability isn't much of an issue anymore for premium balls like it used to be in the bad old days of balata.

FWIW, I could not disagree more with the idea that a higher handicap needs LESS performance out of a golf ball than a better player. The higher handicap player needs predictable results from a ball just as much, but hits MORE shots inside 150 than the better player does. A two piece ball that slides up the face of an iron and comes off with less spin introduces MORE variation to the player than needs LESS variation. Good players dread "fliers"; with a two piece ball, pretty much every shot off an iron is a flier to some extent.

My biggest worry in your particular situation would be whether or not you have any sort of an obligation to support the club pro at you club by buying balls in the pro shop. If he doesn't make his money that way, then I'd feel like a free agent to buy whatever I wanted, wherever I wanted. There are ways now to play a three or four piece ball affordably; Snell MTB and MTB-X are the best examples. There isn't a better ball on the market than Snell, and I'm including ProV1's and TPX's in that. Vice balls aren't bad; not nearly as good as Snell, but not bad, and there are other options as well.

• Like 1

It's never been implied that I'm under any obligation to buy balls at the club. They're a Titleist account so that would be pricey. Two of my kids and I take lessons there, hopefully that's enough support. Side note, though, the pro I take lessons from told me that because of the difficulty and trouble around the course they have the largest Titleist ball account of any club in the state.

The ball I'm playing now, Kirkland, clocks it at $12.50 a dozen, so I don't think I'm going to find a cheaper 3 piece ball, and not a whole lot of cheaper 2 piece balls. But right now the Top Flights are at $8 a dozen so I guess the question is the Kirkland 3 piece is worth 50% more than the new Top Flite

Sto Pro Veritate

I had never played the gamer soft so thats good to know. I definitely like the improved cover for this years lineup(not sure if they will all have the same cover material, but wouldnt be surprised). Crazy that its easy to feel the difference between the two balls just from a fingernail scratch test. The HC cover makes the D2+F cover feel like an old XL distance!

Im almost through my first of 8 boxes of HC and super happy with them. I'm only taking out the D2+F on water holes right now.

I have 2 boxes of the new 2020 Gamer, but havent used them on a full size course. Used them for a round at my local pitch and putt, but didnt notice much difference between it and the HC so far.

Bridgestone e6 used to be a 3 piece ball, just realized they changed to a 2 piece construction, interesting.

I'd go Q Star Tour, I get them for $10 to $15/dozen when the old versions go on sale and stock up. They spin the same as the Z Star for me but feel softer, such a great ball.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

So I played the new 2020 Gamer this past weekend and here’s what I think. I have been playing mostly Srixon XV’s and TP5X’s for the last 2 years so this was a big jump for me I thought. I didn’t notice any distance gains or losses. Irons seemed identical as did the driver. They definitely don’t have quite as much spin from green side out to about a 50% wedge shot. Anything though that I hit 3/4 to full felt like it spun just as much as anything I’ve played lately. I didn’t get any funny looking flights from irons or woods either. The ball feels good too. I think if I had some of the guys I play with use one and didn’t tell them what it was they would be pleased with it. For $13/dz I’m in. I will have to try one on some firmer faster greens to really know but I like what I see so far.