Graphite Design AD DI vs AD TP

drscott266

I have searched exhaustively but have a relatively easy question for the GD experts. I have been playing a 3/4” tipped AD TP for a season and have had some really good results. Fitting showed my spin was little low, in the 2000 range give  or take but launch was 11*-13*. I personally feel like I have to go after it sometimes, which can be good or bad... putting too smooth a swing doesn’t feel like it will kick enough.  That’s what attracted me to it in the first place. 

Question is would an AD DI perhaps be a better fit, as it’s not as stuff in the tip and should theoretically spin a touch more and launch a touch higher?  I know the only way to know is to try it, and I am willing to roll the dice just want to make sure my thoughts aren’t totally wrong. Tons of people still play it so it must have spot still in their lineup. My other shaft is a tensei blue that just feels loose to me, and spins over 3000. Otherwise it responds to my smooth swings well, but I can never go after it.  Would the DI fit somewhere in the middle?

Having gamed both, and this is my experience only, DI doesnt spin more or less than the TP. It does seem to flight slightly higher, but not even that noticeable. The biggest difference between the two has been feel, as the TP is balanced slightly higher than the DI, which makes it load easier for me. DI seems to have a bit more kick in the lower sections of the shaft, but TP has smoother transition from tip to butt.

TP reminds me more of the Diamana DF Im playing now, and DI reminds me more of the ZF I gamed before. Just my experience.

Edited by Gohigh
  • Like 1

I think AD TP untipped would be the right move for you. Or if you want to roll with something new, give the AD HD a shot. Essentially an AD TP with a slightly softer tip. In my opinion the AD DI is a different animal. More kick than the AD TP and feels softer in the handle and mid. 

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

1 minute ago, cw1209 said:

I think AD TP untipped would be the right move for you. Or if you want to roll with something new, give the AD HD a shot. Essentially an AD TP with a slightly softer tip. In my opinion the AD DI is a different animal. More kick than the AD TP and feels softer in the handle and mid. 

I just heard the podcast about the AD HD, not sure when that will be a Titleist option but Knudson said it was like the TP but with more kick. That’s good info on the DI vs TP in terms of feel, I don’t want a loose feeling shaft. I was worried I tipped it too much but can usually make a good enough swing... so you think the 3/4” is significant enough to notice likely?  I totally get this is all opinion but it makes sense to what I am feeling in the shaft over a season. Thanks for all the help. 

I know this doesn't match what you are asking, but if you are only looking for a couple more RPM, maybe switch balls. To me, and my experience, I thought the TP was way more consistent and stable.  Or check where you are hitting the head. Are you getting into the low spin quadrant of the head? Maybe a couple of simple switches would work for you rather investing in a DI. I know not as fun, but cheaper. 

• Like 1

Driver: Tour Issue Epic Flash TD 10.5o w/ Fuji Ventus Black 6x 

5wd: Taylormade Sim2 SHAFT???    

Hybrid: 19Titleist 915 w/ Diamana 90 Stiff

Irons: 4Iron thru GW Titleist T100  Shaft????     

Wedges: Edel Wedges 54 & 58 Nippon Modus 125 

Putter: PXG Bat Attack Gen1

3 hours ago, drscott266 said:

I just heard the podcast about the AD HD, not sure when that will be a Titleist option but Knudson said it was like the TP but with more kick. That’s good info on the DI vs TP in terms of feel, I don’t want a loose feeling shaft. I was worried I tipped it too much but can usually make a good enough swing... so you think the 3/4” is significant enough to notice likely?  I totally get this is all opinion but it makes sense to what I am feeling in the shaft over a season. Thanks for all the help. 

Unique to the individual, but tipping a shaft 3/4" beyond standard can definitely alter feel because it makes the shaft play a little stiffer. 

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

11 hours ago, cw1209 said:

Unique to the individual, but tipping a shaft 3/4" beyond standard can definitely alter feel because it makes the shaft play a little stiffer. 

So the consensus is that if I like the general feel of the TP 6, the DI would not be the same?  I can get some more pop in it by getting an untipped version, which makes sense. I was never clear on what tipping would do exactly, first experiment was my DJ in the fairway wood. Untipped It felt like a noodle, but tipped it 3/4” and it feels perfect. Matched the driver but obviously they have different material tips so that might be where I went wrong. I have had brief experience with the DI but do recall it felt like cracking a whip where the TP felt more smooth a predictable. Thanks all for the advice!

• Like 1

what's your SS?  normal ball flight?  Do your smooth swing produce a ball that you don't think have enough spin?

If you launch 11-13 and spin 2000, that's pretty good but probably will benefit with a bit more launch and spin.  What ball are you using?  Changing ball is the easier solution.

To me if you like the feel of TP 6, stay with it.

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.

Callaway Paradym TD 15, Autoflex 505X.

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym AI Smoke HL 8 hybrid, Ventus 8S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 8 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

14 minutes ago, shaolingolfer said:

what's your SS?  normal ball flight?  Do your smooth swing produce a ball that you don't think have enough spin?

If you launch 11-13 and spin 2000, that's pretty good but probably will benefit with a bit more launch and spin.  What ball are you using?  Changing ball is the easier solution.

To me if you like the feel of TP 6, stay with it.

I’m around 100mph smooth swing, ProV1 which I really enjoy. Really stuck on this one for some reason as the TP impressed me initially, had to move it to my 10.5* head due to less than 2000 spin. I guess the nut of my question is whether or not the 3/4” tip trim affected the shaft enough to warrant an untipped version being as I am so close to ideal conditions. The DI intrigued me as it obviously still has a place in the lineup and would theoretically spin more probably, although previous poster didn’t notice that affect. In fine with the purchase of another shaft just don’t want to be too redundant. Since I have a tipped TP I am almost a DI would be worth the gamble since I can’t get one to try locally.  People seem to find the TP and DI to not feel all that similar so that concerns me as the TP is stable without being too demanding for me even tipped. 

1 hour ago, drscott266 said:

I’m around 100mph smooth swing, ProV1 which I really enjoy. Really stuck on this one for some reason as the TP impressed me initially, had to move it to my 10.5* head due to less than 2000 spin. I guess the nut of my question is whether or not the 3/4” tip trim affected the shaft enough to warrant an untipped version being as I am so close to ideal conditions. The DI intrigued me as it obviously still has a place in the lineup and would theoretically spin more probably, although previous poster didn’t notice that affect. In fine with the purchase of another shaft just don’t want to be too redundant. Since I have a tipped TP I am almost a DI would be worth the gamble since I can’t get one to try locally.  People seem to find the TP and DI to not feel all that similar so that concerns me as the TP is stable without being too demanding for me even tipped. 

I played a non-tip 45" TP with 9.5/10.5 TS2 and I spinned it too much around 2600 and I eventually move on even though I love the feel of TP and still has it on my 3W.  My SS 103-106 is a tad faster, at your speed if you don't spin enough probably because of the tipping.  There's golf ball out there that can help you with launch and spin but that will affect your iron also. 

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.

Callaway Paradym TD 15, Autoflex 505X.

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym AI Smoke HL 8 hybrid, Ventus 8S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 8 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

Thanks everyone, talked to Bill at Pro Choice and he steered me towards the AD VR which my fitter suggested as an option too. He said it’s a step down from the TP but above the DI in firmness.  

Did he mention the IZ at all?

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Thanks everyone, talked to Bill at Pro Choice and he steered me towards the AD VR which my fitter suggested as an option too. He said it’s a step down from the TP but above the DI in firmness.  

This would be my recommendation as well.  The vr has a very similar feel with a little more launch and spin.

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G Nippon SPO

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black

Would you call the TP a medium launch? I play the VR in a Sim and it was pretty good. Definitely does not have a kick like the DI. TO is similar I am reading. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

4 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

Would you call the TP a medium launch? I play the VR in a Sim and it was pretty good. Definitely does not have a kick like the DI. TO is similar I am reading. 

Yes, I would say it played medium for me. Getting it airborn was never an issue for me but it rarely ballooned unless I hit majorly up on it. 

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
On 9/5/2020 at 6:41 PM, drscott266 said:

Yes, I would say it played medium for me. Getting it airborn was never an issue for me but it rarely ballooned unless I hit majorly up on it. 

Curious where you ended up here. I've been gaming a DI-7X for the last decade or so but just picked up a TP-7TX to give a ride once my SIM2 comes in.

I think I'm trying to go the opposite direction you were! A little lower launch/spin than the DI but hopefully that same loading feel that I just can't get enough of. 

D | Stealth+ - 9* - Ventus TR Black - 7 (X)
3 | Rogue ST LS - 15* - Ventus Blue - 7 (X)

U | Srixon ZX - 18* - Modus 3 Hybrid (X)
I  | Callaway Apex TCB 4-PW - Nippon Tour Proto (X)
W| Vokey SM8 - 50F/54M/58T - TT DG TI (S400)
P | Your guess is as good as mine!

I would go with same TP just not tipped. Also depends on your swing type, if you release early or late. I have a later release and DI feels nothing like the TP, as the DI is definitely softer in the butt and mid section and feels very loose to me. I still game a TP 7x in my 3 wood and played 6x in my driver for 3 years prior. The IZ will feel different than those 2 shafts, has a slightly more linear feel and is softer in the tip section.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST MaxLS 9*w/Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

Callaway Epic Flash sz 15* /Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7s

Titleist Tsi2 hybrid 18* /GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Titleist T-100s 4-GW /PX Lz 6.0

Titleist SM9 54-12d, 60-10s /PX Lz 6.0

Bettinardi BBzero

There’s going to a pretty good difference in both feel and flex between a 7x Di and a 7tx Tp.  

Edited by mokedaddy

24 minutes ago, mokedaddy said:

There’s going to a pretty good difference in both feel and flex between a 7x Di and a 7tx Tp.  

Flex, yes. But profile is what I'm looking for as well with lower launch/spin. SS with driver last time on the monitor was 113-114 with a pretty normal move, did I go too strong on the TX? Just picked it up yesterday from a guy on here who happened to be local!

4 minutes ago, hooperpsu said:

Flex, yes. But profile is what I'm looking for as well with lower launch/spin. SS with driver last time on the monitor was 113-114 with a pretty normal move, did I go too strong on the TX? Just picked it up yesterday from a guy on here who happened to be local!

It really depends on how sensitive your are to the differences.  It’s going to feel stiffer but it’s hard to say if it is going to be too stiff.  The tx will be roughly a full flex stronger or similar to going from a 6x to a 7x.

Edited by mokedaddy

24 minutes ago, hooperpsu said:

Naw, TX flex should be fine for you.  It's not as rebar stiff as some people think it is.  Now if it's been tipped an inch or more it might be.  My buddy had one, in the 70tx which was uncut had written 283 cpm on the label for reference.

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

13 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Naw, TX flex should be fine for you.  It's not as rebar stiff as some people think it is.  Now if it's been tipped an inch or more it might be.  My buddy had one, in the 70tx which was uncut had written 283 cpm on the label for reference.

Awesome, this one is untipped so I figured I was in the safe zone! Looking forward to putting some swings on it as soon as TM figures out their supply chain issues and I get a driver head back!!

On 4/4/2021 at 1:22 PM, hooperpsu said:

Curious where you ended up here. I've been gaming a DI-7X for the last decade or so but just picked up a TP-7TX to give a ride once my SIM2 comes in.

I think I'm trying to go the opposite direction you were! A little lower launch/spin than the DI but hopefully that same loading feel that I just can't get enough of. 

I need to try them both out again, switched to a 9* head and have been gaming tensei white lately. Had one really good day, one bad day and some average days. The 8* head with TP flat out didn’t work for me. 

46 minutes ago, drscott266 said:

I need to try them both out again, switched to a 9* head and have been gaming tensei white lately. Had one really good day, one bad day and some average days. The 8* head with TP flat out didn’t work for me. 

I currently use 6TP on my driver and 7DI and 8DI on my fwy. TP on 8* will launch too low.

I would use anything between 9.5* to 10.5* with the TP. Very penetrating ball flight with much less kick compared to the DIs. Almost a one piece feel for the TP but with slight kick when struck well. I am happy with the 6TP currently and will not be coming out the of the bag for a long long time. TP I feel is a bit more fade biased as well which works perfectly fine for me personally. 

• Like 1

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

9 minutes ago, hypergolf said:

I currently use 6TP on my driver and 7DI and 8DI on my fwy. TP on 8* will launch too low.

I would use anything between 9.5* to 10.5* with the TP. Very penetrating ball flight with much less kick compared to the DIs. Almost a one piece feel for the TP but with slight kick when struck well. I am happy with the 6TP currently and will not be coming out the of the bag for a long long time. TP I feel is a bit more fade biased as well which works perfectly fine for me personally. 

Agreed on feel, my issue was I had 10* head and it spun too much. Moved to the new driver and got fit for DI, but it feels wild on course. Thinking TP in 9* could be a winner. 

4 minutes ago, drscott266 said:

Agreed on feel, my issue was I had 10* head and it spun too much. Moved to the new driver and got fit for DI, but it feels wild on course. Thinking TP in 9* could be a winner. 

Yes, 9* could work as well. But anything lower will be quite difficult to get it airborne I think. Unless of course you have high SS. But general club golfers should be safe in that range.

How does the VR feel? Seems like you tried it before? Thanks.

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

26 minutes ago, hypergolf said:

Yes, 9* could work as well. But anything lower will be quite difficult to get it airborne I think. Unless of course you have high SS. But general club golfers should be safe in that range.

How does the VR feel? Seems like you tried it before? Thanks.

I did not like the VR. Felt like a harsh DI. Waiting for my Ventus black to arrive, promising numbers on trackman. Had to clock up to 9.75* with it. Plan on trying DI and TP

again with my 9* head but both are 45” and I need the different weight for my TSi3 

Love to hear about the Ventus Black vs the TP. Ventus Blue lost out to the TP, spun more than the TP. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick