2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Srixon Z785 ????

Jakester119

Thinking of grabbing a set of Z785's and even toying with the idea of doing a 585 combo with longer irons. Just curious if anyone out there plays these irons with the Modus Tour 120 or the 105. I have the 105 in gen 2 PXGs but feel accuracy is lacking. I love the feel of the shaft though. Curious how much 10 grams would make with flight, penetration, etc. Love to hear from folks who play these. I'm a 10 handicap trending down. 

51 minutes ago, SurfDaddy said:

Best clubs I've ever owned in the 50 years I've played. They are long, feel great, and the v sole is awesome with the turf. I use U-85 4 iron, 585 5 & 6 irons, and 785 for everything else including 785 gap wedge.

This with the exception of the 59 year part, I’m only 41.  I have them with PX LZ’s and live them.  Dint have much experience with the Modus but I also dint think they’d suit me well.  And I’ll also second that the gap wedge is awesome. 

Hard to say but it may work out that the 120’s would suit your swing better, if you tell us more about your swing and misses somebody far more knowledgeable that I surely will chime in.  The 785’s have a pretty good following around here, for good reason. 

I’m a 10 as well and have the z785s with modus 120s play them 4-pw and have a z545 in the 3 iron. The z785s provide a lot of forgiveness for a “players club” the 5 series definitley launches higher and has even more forgiveness all over the face. There’s times where I want to move to a 585 in the 4 iron and sometimes even the 5 iron just because there is that much more foregiveness and higher launch

10° Titleist TSI2 x Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

17.5° PING G410 x Fujikura Ventus Red 7S

22° PXG 0317X Gen 2 Hybrid x Mitsubishi MMT 80S

Srixon z545 3 Iron x Nippon Modus 120S

Srixon z585 5 Iron x Nippon Modus 120S

Srixon z785 6-PW x Nippon Modus 120S

Wedges: Titleist SM8 50*12F, 54*12D, 58*8M

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Brandon Double Bend

IG: @matt.golfs

Have had my Z785s w/Modus 120 S for a few months now and have played some really good golf with them.  Love the feeling of a 1-piece forging.  Compact head, yet very playable.  Have always been a pretty decent long and mid-iron ball striker, don't see the need to combo these.   No longer keep a handicap (got old and stopped competing), but would say I'm playing to about a 5 or 6 right now.

Also, just picked up the Z785 driver with the HZRDUS Black Hand Crafted, and it is a beast!

• Like 1

I play to scratch, high swing speed guy and have a 585/785 (4/5,6-PW) combo set. I keep trying to change but they’re just too good. Soft, accurate and forgiving and the 585’s are just so stupid easy to hit I just can’t find a reason to get rid of them. Plus they don’t look nearly as clunk as other game improvement irons from other brands. They really do blend seamlessly. 

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

FWIW I gamed a 545/745 combo for awhile but last year switched to 745 all the way up to 4i (and sometimes carry the 3i). I make much more consistent contact with the 7 series clubs than the 5s. I'd recommend hitting them both and deciding if you really want to go the combo route..

As far as shaft weight I can only anecdotally offer that I switched from DG S300 to SteelFiber i95 this season and don't notice a big difference in ball flight. I think the consensus would probably be that everyone reacts differently to club weight changes, I was initially wary of the switch because I dislike lighter weights in my fwy woods / hybrid, but it seems I am less particular with my irons.

I play the 785's with the Modus 105 in stiff, very nice combination for me at 60. Excellent dispersion, nice trajectory and easy to flight. Solid performance . One of the best cb iron sets I have played.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

I play the 585/785 combo and I honestly don't have another set that can knock em out of the bag.  I have the Hogan PTX Pros as well which have a V sole but the Srixon V sole seems to be superior on the shorter/green side shots for me.  The feel is surprising for a hollow body iron and I honestly can't say enough good things about these irons.

Titleist TSR3 Dr / Tensei CK Pro Blue 70x

Ping G410 5w / Tour Chrome S

Ping G410 4h / Tour Chrome S

Sub 70 659 CB Raw 5-Pw / DGS300 120s

Vokey SM9 50F 

Vokey SM9 54S 

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback (2018) 

19 hours ago, jsn said:

FWIW I gamed a 545/745 combo for awhile but last year switched to 745 all the way up to 4i (and sometimes carry the 3i). I make much more consistent contact with the 7 series clubs than the 5s. I'd recommend hitting them both and deciding if you really want to go the combo route..

As far as shaft weight I can only anecdotally offer that I switched from DG S300 to SteelFiber i95 this season and don't notice a big difference in ball flight. I think the consensus would probably be that everyone reacts differently to club weight changes, I was initially wary of the switch because I dislike lighter weights in my fwy woods / hybrid, but it seems I am less particular with my irons.

I play the 745's 3-PW in the SF. I also switched from DG S300 t ST i95S a couple of years ago. Had no issues with the change in weight, and also little to no effect is ball flight. Very good change for me.

On 9/6/2020 at 11:52 PM, SurfDaddy said:

Best clubs I've ever owned in the 50 years I've played. They are long, feel great, and the v sole is awesome with the turf. I use U-85 4 iron, 585 5 & 6 irons, and 785 for everything else including 785 gap wedge.

Thanks for the info.  PXGs may be going up for sale soon!!!

On 9/7/2020 at 12:46 AM, Bigjim1022 said:

This with the exception of the 59 year part, I’m only 41.  I have them with PX LZ’s and live them.  Dint have much experience with the Modus but I also dint think they’d suit me well.  And I’ll also second that the gap wedge is awesome. 

Hard to say but it may work out that the 120’s would suit your swing better, if you tell us more about your swing and misses somebody far more knowledgeable that I surely will chime in.  The 785’s have a pretty good following around here, for good reason. 

Thanks,  I am going to hit some with the Modus 105 and 120 and look at the numbers!!

On 9/7/2020 at 12:47 AM, MattGolfs said:

I’m a 10 as well and have the z785s with modus 120s play them 4-pw and have a z545 in the 3 iron. The z785s provide a lot of forgiveness for a “players club” the 5 series definitley launches higher and has even more forgiveness all over the face. There’s times where I want to move to a 585 in the 4 iron and sometimes even the 5 iron just because there is that much more foregiveness and higher launch

Thanks, I have a hybrid set up now with my PXGs where the 5 and 6 are the XF model, and the 5-W is the Players version.  Seems to be a good fit, and will probably look to do the same

On 9/7/2020 at 1:40 PM, drvrwdge said:

I play to scratch, high swing speed guy and have a 585/785 (4/5,6-PW) combo set. I keep trying to change but they’re just too good. Soft, accurate and forgiving and the 585’s are just so stupid easy to hit I just can’t find a reason to get rid of them. Plus they don’t look nearly as clunk as other game improvement irons from other brands. They really do blend seamlessly. 

Thanks for that.  My PXG's are incredibly soft, and when I hit other clubs, I find I really miss how soft they are.  I am hoping the 785's feel close to as soft, but in a smaller head than my sticks.  That would be a perfect match.  Something a bit smaller, and soft, without losing crazy distance!

On 9/7/2020 at 8:56 PM, kfurno said:

Phenomenal clubs, I’ve been ranging from +1 to scratch and have the 4 iron in 585 and 5-pw in the 785, Modus 120.  These feel so good, soft and solid and dare I say, feel better than the mizuno clubs I’ve had in the last.  V sole is nice, very playable.  Srixon is a sleeper, don’t think twice!

After reading all of these posts here about them, I am am pumped up to try them.  Have a fitting in the books soon!!

On 9/7/2020 at 8:23 PM, puttingmatt said:

I play the 785's with the Modus 105 in stiff, very nice combination for me at 60. Excellent dispersion, nice trajectory and easy to flight. Solid performance . One of the best cb iron sets I have played.

I think I am sold on the irons, just a matter of finding the correct shaft for me!

22 hours ago, j3r1ch0h0l1c said:

I play the 585/785 combo and I honestly don't have another set that can knock em out of the bag.  I have the Hogan PTX Pros as well which have a V sole but the Srixon V sole seems to be superior on the shorter/green side shots for me.  The feel is surprising for a hollow body iron and I honestly can't say enough good things about these irons.

I was unaware the 785's were hollow body?  Interesting.  I thought the 585 were hollow, and straight cavity in the 785's!  I am excited to try them

Thanks to everyone who responded.  I have a fitting scheduled this week to try some shaft options.  You have all SOLD me on the irons.  Too much praise here for me not to try them!!  Not sure if anyone has any insight in what I am about to say, but here goes.  If I am reading too much into it please tell me  haha.  The swing weight on my PXG irions is D0, the swing weight on the srixon is D3.  This is a pretty big difference?  My theory is the low swing weight from the PXG combined with the lower weight shaft, may be the reason my dispersion has been off.  Also call me crazy but I hit some of the 120 gram shafts higher than my 105.  My brother had the PXG in the project X LZ 6.0 and I hit his higher than my irons with the 105.  I do not need the ball to go higher.  Any higher and my flight will start hurting me more than help me.  Once the fitting is done, I will chime back in let everyone know who it went!  Thanks again

Comparing the Modus 105’s with LZ 6.0 is apples to oranges. Comparing them with different heads is even more so. It’s not strange that you hit the LZ’s higher. Super active midsection on the lz’s promote height and spin. Do not worry about unit weight at this point, leave that to a good fitter/builder, only worry about Swingweight. It takes adding 9 grams to the shaft to increase sw by a point. 

43 minutes ago, Jakester119 said:

I was unaware the 785's were hollow body?  Interesting.  I thought the 585 were hollow, and straight cavity in the 785's!  I am excited to try them

785's are not hollow body.

they are a fantastic iron.  I play 4-6 Z785 & 7-PW Zforged with the modus 120x.  coming from S400's  the extra 10 or so grams off is very noticeable when I am hitting range balls.  It helps with hip or back pain.  Great set of clubs and try getting fitted for the proper shaft.

Edited by NixLix26

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Scotty Newport the art of putting

-----------------------------------------

50 minutes ago, Jakester119 said:

Yes I'm sorry I didn't clarify that, I was referring to the feel of the 585.  My apologies for the confusion.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 Dr / Tensei CK Pro Blue 70x

Ping G410 5w / Tour Chrome S

Ping G410 4h / Tour Chrome S

Sub 70 659 CB Raw 5-Pw / DGS300 120s

Vokey SM9 50F 

Vokey SM9 54S 

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback (2018) 

4 hours ago, Jakester119 said:

I think I am sold on the irons, just a matter of finding the correct shaft for me!

I know that the  Modus 120's were a decent match for me, but so were the 105's, and I had previous experience with and liked the 105's. 

Its a great combo.

• Like 1

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

I'll will echo what others are saying. Love this iron after coming from blades and SUPER soft iron. Biggest thing I noticed was my dispersion. It improved dramatically. 

I will say that the stock loft/lie angles are a bit weird. I ended up having my shop bend them so they blend much better from 4-PW. 

• Like 1

Fantastic irons. Playing a 585/785 combo set right now. Best irons I have owned. Going to be hard to stray away, 

• Like 1

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner