TM P770 Question

Lefty87

I plan on getting fitted in the next few weeks, but I’d appreciate some insight before then. I currently play the JPX 919 Forged. I strike them very well, very consistently. I’m really intrigued by the 770’s as they’re hands down the most incredible irons I’ve ever seen, in my opinion. I previously played the 790’s and found them very easy to hit. I’m curious if those who have experience with both think there will be many drastic difference in playability between these irons. If I hit them well, I’ll likely getting them powered lofted 2 degrees strong as I’m not a long hitter. Thanks in advance! 

I ordered the P770s after getting fit a month or so ago and am coming from JPX 900 forged. The P770 head is a little smaller but I personally found them as easy to hit as the mizuno if not easier, I just prefer the look of them. 

To be fair though I haven’t gotten the P770 order yet so my experience is just from demoing them a couple times and the indoor fitting. 

• Thanks 1

Mizuno ST190 Driver Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6X
Taylormade M4 3W Tensei Blue CK 75 X
Titleist 818 H1 Tensei White 90HY X
4 - PW Mizuno JPX 900 Forged KBS Tour 130X
50.08 F Vokey SM7 
54.10 S Vokey SM7

58.10 S Vokey SM7

Spider X 35"

18 minutes ago, Lefty87 said:

I plan on getting fitted in the next few weeks, but I’d appreciate some insight before then. I currently play the JPX 919 Forged. I strike them very well, very consistently. I’m really intrigued by the 770’s as they’re hands down the most incredible irons I’ve ever seen, in my opinion. I previously played the 790’s and found them very easy to hit. I’m curious if those who have experience with both think there will be many drastic difference in playability between these irons. If I hit them well, I’ll likely getting them powered lofted 2 degrees strong as I’m not a long hitter. Thanks in advance! 

Here's my 2c: 

Mizuno is well-known for their irons, both in terms of touch and playability. I used to play a set of Mizuno before switching to Miura, and I can attest that the Mizuno grain flow forged irons are hand down some of the softest and best feeling irons out there. I only switched to Miura because of my own vanity (sad, I know...).

Now, Taylormade only in recent years started to gain traction in their forged irons category due to their sponsorship of many top players (TW, DJ, Rory, Rahm, JDay...). With the quality inputs from these top players, Taylormade made an enormous leap into the exclusive league of quality forged irons. I tried a few of TM forged irons and absolutely adore them. Are they good? Hell yes. Are they better than Mizunos? Probably not. 

With that said, it probably comes down to the aesthetic preference above all else. From what u described, u seem happy with how the Mizunos feel; but u also seem to adore the 770 for its look. So if u have extra money to spend, I'd say go for what looks better. Given the same inner beauty, I'd always pick the hotter blonde. 

I hope it helps.

Cheers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went for a fitting at my club Friday.  Expected, per the pros suggestion, to get p770’s or a combo set with the p7mc.

Walked away ordering the p790’s. Hope I like them on the course. Coming from Honma 747v and before that the srixon 785. Both are a bit smaller blade than the 790.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I tested a few irons the other day, two of them being the P770s and JPX921 forged. I think the P770's were far and away the better club. 921's just almost didn't have any feedback at all. Maybe too soft of a face? I know mizuno is famous for the buttery feel, but these just didn't feel like you were hitting anything at all. P770s good mix of feel, performance and of course looks

Driver: Ping G430LST - Diamana GT 60tx

3 Wood:  TM Stealth 3W - Diamana GT 70tx

5 Wood: Ping G430 Max 5W - Tensei Pro Orange 80tx

Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW - Modus 130s

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F Modus 130x, SM9 54.12 - 58.12 - Modus 130x 

Putter: Ping PLD Anser 

I have played about 7 rounds now with my p770 irons. Im coming from the Mizuno mp54's. 

My buddy has the p790s and I've hit them plenty. There is no doubt the p790 are much more forgiving than the p770s.  Even TM website will tell you this. I would say the p770s play about a similar in forgiveness to my mp54's.  Not sure how much this helps but let me know if you have any specific questions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, nikeblades00 said:

I have played about 7 rounds now with my p770 irons. Im coming from the Mizuno mp54's. 

My buddy has the p790s and I've hit them plenty. There is no doubt the p790 are much more forgiving than the p770s.  Even TM website will tell you this. I would say the p770s play about a similar in forgiveness to my mp54's.  Not sure how much this helps but let me know if you have any specific questions. 

I appreciate the feedback! How would describe that difference in forgiveness from p790 to p770? Is it due to the shorter blade length? How punishing are off-center hits? My miss is towards the toe. Thanks in advance! 

1 hour ago, Lefty87 said:

I appreciate the feedback! How would describe that difference in forgiveness from p790 to p770? Is it due to the shorter blade length? How punishing are off-center hits? My miss is towards the toe. Thanks in advance! 

No problem. I do attribute it to blade length.  The p770 is a compact head. I just feel I could get away with a less than perfect swing more often with the p790s. Also the 790s are stronger lofted so often times your hitting a shorter iron in. 

However I much prefer the p770 looks especially at address. The thicker top line gives some confidence as well. Mis hits might lose a few yards but they still fly towards target. Very easy to flight low.  And the looks are just ridiculous and thats worth a couple strokes a round!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I picked up a set of 770's since my buddies buddy works for TM and gets equipment at 40% off.  Worst case scenario I sell them from what I paid if I didn't like them.  I've played 2 rounds with them so far and I quite enjoy them.  

The 770's look amazing.  They feel good, fly high, and are forgiving for being a players iron.  I look down at the 5 iron and don't lose any confidence at all.  They're definitely not a players "distance" iron.  If you're looking for a distance iron, go with the pxg P's, 790's, cobra forged tec, mizuno hmb, or ping i500's.  

I had the gen3 pxg T and P combo set.  I feel the 770's fall in between the T's and P's when it comes to forgiveness.  The PXG's def spin less and launch lower than the 770's.  The higher launching 770's inspire confidence when hitting the mid-long irons.  

I also had a set of mp20 mb and hmb combo set.  The blades obviously feel amazing, but aren't forgiving.  The hmb is forgiving, but def don't "feel like a mizuno."  the hmb's don't provide the feedback that I prefer.  I wasn't able to feel bad shots in the hands.  The ball would just land 15 yards short and I assume it was a poor shot.  

If I were you, I would try the 770's with stock lofts first.  You never know, they might end up working out.  You can always play with the lofts later if you need to.  

Good Luck!

• Like 1

I ordered a set Mid-October hoping they will be in Mid-December. Kbs $ taper. Coming from Mp-64’s which I love. 

my buddy picked up a 770 2017 version and I really liked it so I pulled the trigger in the newer set. I will let you know my thoughts when they arrive. Unfortunately it’s going to be cold in the NE when they arrive. 

11 hours ago, nikeblades00 said:

I concur they are most def not in the players distance category as I keep hearing. These are darn close to traditional lofting.

But they are longer than most other Players irons for sure.  There is another website that did an unbiased comparison of Players Distance Irons and they rated number one in terms of distance.

2 hours ago, Lobber said:

But they are longer than most other Players irons for sure.  There is another website that did an unbiased comparison of Players Distance Irons and they rated number one in terms of distance.

Maybe I'm not noticing because I'm playing fall golf Temps ranging from 40s-60s.  Im actually playing my stock yardages still even in cold. So maybe it does mean these will be longer in warm weather.  

12 hours ago, nikeblades00 said:

Maybe I'm not noticing because I'm playing fall golf Temps ranging from 40s-60s.  Im actually playing my stock yardages still even in cold. So maybe it does mean these will be longer in warm weather.  

Cold weather certainly impacts distance and I often forget about that living in San Diego although we do get into low 40s with an occasional frost delay.  I will say for me they are longer than some other players clubs I have gamed including things like TS1, Cally Forged CB.  Not quite as long as my T300 clunkers but I get the distances I need.  For me, the most impressive aspects of these irons are looks, feel and consistency - distances are consistent with no fliers.  Of course we all get different results with the same club so at the end of the day play what works and what you like.

Playing the P770 in my 3 iron with a Mitsubishi MMT. Thing is money. Blends nicely into my Blueprints.

Driver: TSR3 10.0* | Accra Tour Z RPG 472 45"

5 Wood: SIM Max 18.5* | Mitsubishi MMT 85TX

2i: Mizuno Fli-Hi 18* | KBS Prototype 95X

3i: Ping i59 @ 21* | Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
4-PW: Callaway TCB Raw | Project X 7.0
Wedges: 50&54&60: Cleveland CBX Zipcore | Project X 6.5
Putter: Cobra Vintage Sport-60

On the surface this looks like a decision based on club aesthetics rather than performance and fit. 

If you lack distance I would not be considering any traditional lofted players irons. Staying in the players distance iron category will get you stronger lofts and faster faces.

The P770 is a much smaller head than the 921 Forged and is unquestionably less forgiving. You will notice a significant drop in ball speed and distance from off centered strikes, many of which your current set of irons will help you get away with. Don't base your decision on hitting 7 irons on mats either - you need to hit the longer irons off turf to get a proper feel for whether there is adequate forgiveneess for your game. 

Power lofting the P770 may have unintended consequences to launch, spin and turf interaction. I can't comment on how significant this will be but I assume there are reasons why Titleist  redesigned the T100 before releasing the T100-S.

My advice? Stick with your current set given you strike them "very well, very consistently".  If you must get new irons I'd be looking at the Srixon ZX5. 

• Thanks 1

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

1 hour ago, senga said:

I’m a bit hesitant about fliers, as my spin was hovering around 5000rpm with a 7 iron. 

Way too low for a 34* 7 iron. Suggest trying a different shaft. The P770's are not known as low spin irons unlike the P790's. 

• Like 1

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

19 minutes ago, bombs said:

On the surface this looks like a decision based on club aesthetics rather than performance and fit. 

If you lack distance I would not be considering any traditional lofted players irons. Staying in the players distance iron category will get you stronger lofts and faster faces.

The P770 is a much smaller head than the 921 Forged and is unquestionably less forgiving. You will notice a significant drop in ball speed and distance from off centered strikes, many of which your current set of irons will help you get away with. Don't base your decision on hitting 7 irons on mats either - you need to hit the longer irons off turf to get a proper feel for whether there is adequate forgiveneess for your game. 

Power lofting the P770 may have unintended consequences to launch, spin and turf interaction. I can't comment on how significant this will be but I assume there are reasons why Titleist  redesigned the T100 before releasing the T100-S.

My advice? Stick with your current set given you strike them "very well, very consistently".  If you must get new irons I'd be looking at the Srixon ZX5. 

I would say that the differences in forgiveness are not that drastic. P770 is definitely a small profile but I think they perform somewhat similarly. Coming from playing 900F I really don't think mishits were "significantly" different at all. I think the JPX forged line sits in-between the P790 and P770 from my experience. If you hit the 919F consistently I think the P770 would be just fine.

Although I do agree that bending them 2 degrees strong could introduce some issues, 1 degree strong would give you almost the same lofts as the 919F. But you don't need to hit a 200yrd 7 iron like everyone on here seem to so I wouldn't be too worried about the distances are long as the gapping is fine.

• Thanks 1

Mizuno ST190 Driver Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6X
Taylormade M4 3W Tensei Blue CK 75 X
Titleist 818 H1 Tensei White 90HY X
4 - PW Mizuno JPX 900 Forged KBS Tour 130X
50.08 F Vokey SM7 
54.10 S Vokey SM7

58.10 S Vokey SM7

Spider X 35"

1 hour ago, JTK37 said:

I see a lot of comments about distance as it relates to other "players" irons and "players distance" irons.  I think a lot of it comes down to what individuals consider the models falling into each category.

FWIW I'm coming from a set of '19 Apex Pro Dots and '18 X-Forged before those.  I've got 5 rounds and a LOT of hours on the range with the P770s.  It looks like golf season here is just about over, at least for me- I'm not one to be on the course when its under 50* anymore, but I'll be on the range as much as possible and work with a monitor maybe every other week from here on out, tweaking the swing and focusing on mechanics until next season.  Oh, I'll mess with a ton of new clubs too(and sell most of them before they ever see the course- like a proper 'ho)

On the course the mid and long irons of the P770 are a full club longer than the Apex Dots, the 9 and PW are about a 1/2 club longer.  Numbers below tell some of the story about the ball flight but the numbers don't show the biggest gain- forgiveness.  The P770s have been unreal in that regard, slight thin misses give up very little distance(3-4yds), my usual toe miss holds its line much better and loses about a half club.  With the Dots those losses were more like 5-8 yds and 10-12yds respectively.

Working from home for the past 8 months has meant a little more time to peruse the forums and shop online- so there is a set of '21 X-Forged CBs with 2 rounds and and 2 range sessions on them in with the numbers for good measure.  Numbers are for 8-irons, thats the club I'll work with most on the range

Apex Dot(PX 6.5)

38* Loft

20* Launch

7500rpm

120-125 ballspeed

168yds(carry)

P770(KBS Tour X)

37*

22*

7300rpm

128-130mph

180yds

X-Forged CB(PX LS 6.5)

37*

20*

7200rpm

125-128mph

175yds

Notes:  

1.  I'm actually the shortest hitter in my group*

2.  Shafts are all over the place- had to take what was available in the P770s, wanted to try the LS, not sure where I'll end up because of #3

3.  I'd prefer to see my launch angles 18-20*, ideally a touch under 20* and keep the spin right around 7-7200rpm.  I've got a little flip going on at impact that I'm working through, it seems to be throwing the launch angles up 1-2*, knocking some spin off it and affecting speed.

* part of what motivated me to try a "players distance" iron was looking for a little more forgiveness and watching my playing partners who recently switch into distance irons(Apex '19 and Rogue Pro) hitting shorter and shorter clubs into every green and their scores starting to come down as a result

I've really liked the P770s on the course, I use the 4-iron a lot as a "driving iron" on short and mid length 4s- its rivaled the forgiveness of the 23* RSI UDI I typically play while being a little longer and the forgiveness throughout the bag has been noticeably better which I think really shows with the tighter ballspeed range.  I hated the forum pics of the X-Forged CBs but to my eye they look much better in person.  They're not as forgiving as the P770s and kind of split the difference with the Apex Dots.  I like the short irons of the X-forged a little bit more than the P770s, its a little easier to take something off them.  The P770s haven't been jumpy at all, but I'm not able to dial them back as much where I would maybe hit a soft PW instead of a gap wedge.  I'll need to keep the 50*(MG2) in the bag to go with the 770s, but the X-forged I've been able to replicate the 50* flight/distance with the PW.  I actually did order the matching X-Forged AW which at 49* seems strange, buts its been backordered and no idea when its coming.  Long irons the P770s are hands down easier to play than the X-Forged, just more point and shoot, where the Callaways give up more on a miss.

By loft the P770 and X-forged are very close and only somewhat stronger than "traditional"(at least in the 8-iron as above), loft alone doesn't tell the whole story.  The Dots have no face tech, the P770s have lots and the X-Forged have some(?).  The difference in the speeds with each is very noticeable and results in distance gains- dial in the launch angle and spin rates with the proper shafts and that speed should produce more distance.  Doesn't mean that would happen for every player, its all going to be relative to what they're coming from and what they consider "distance" irons, but the speed is there if you're looking for it.  The biggest thing that kept me from putting a set of "distance" irons in the bag in recent years has been the jumper most are plagued with and I had trouble with when I experimented 5 or so years ago.  It seems thing have changed and they've addressed that hot ball flight with these, and I love it.

Nice write up. I've had my p770s for 3 weeks now and have played about 10 rounds and maybe 5 range sessions. Mostly fall weather golf. Our season is about done.  So I'm usually in layers.  

Anyways what I'm getting at is these clubs for me has been a tough transition.  I truly don't think I love them. Im playing good golf and my scoring has been good. Its just some days the irons feel great and some days they don't.  Im sure the crazy weather has played a role.  I just really want to love them because they look so good in my bag!

I was last fitted a few years ago and my top two were the prior generation 770 and 919 forged.  I was really torn between the two and didn't want to make a decision that day with that store.  A week later, I broke my ankle so I'm just returning back to the game to be fit into irons. 

I just went this past weekend and preferred the 770 over anything I hit.  It felt the best; looked the best; on toe-y 7-iron hits it stayed on a pretty decent line and only lost a couple of yards--overall, I loved it and purchased it.  

The other kicker is that I am really steep.  I know not all manufacturers advertised bounce on irons but this is also something that put 770 over 921 forged for me--on each iron it's 2-3 more bounce on the irons and that gave me a little piece of mind.  

On 11/21/2020 at 8:53 AM, dukebasketball717 said:

I ordered a set Mid-October hoping they will be in Mid-December. Kbs $ taper. Coming from Mp-64’s which I love. 

my buddy picked up a 770 2017 version and I really liked it so I pulled the trigger in the newer set. I will let you know my thoughts when they arrive. Unfortunately it’s going to be cold in the NE when they arrive. 

Will be interesting to hear what you think as they are different clubs. I have not hit the  2020 770 yet but have had OG 770s since 2017 and blend the 790.

770s are lovely forged CBs, but the new 770 replaces them in the lineup (the 760 which got not much love) yet are not 1 piece 1025 clubs but 2 piece. Did TM figure out a way to get a bit 'softer' or not to your feel.

I don't think the 790 is super clicky but you certainly can tell its a hollow body iron with a smidge of click when compared back to back with the old 770s. If the new 770 feels near the same as the old, good for TM. Bad for my future wallet. 

On 11/19/2020 at 8:04 AM, nikeblades00 said:

No problem. I do attribute it to blade length.  The p770 is a compact head. I just feel I could get away with a less than perfect swing more often with the p790s. Also the 790s are stronger lofted so often times your hitting a shorter iron in. 

However I much prefer the p770 looks especially at address. The thicker top line gives some confidence as well. Mis hits might lose a few yards but they still fly towards target. Very easy to flight low.  And the looks are just ridiculous and thats worth a couple strokes a round!

I find this to be true. I picked up stock P770's on the BST forum. The set was 4-5 P790s with 6-PW P770s.

I will say that a lot of ppl just compare "7i vs 7i" with two different models and more often than not, I personally don't think it's that easy. Depends on how a club is designed (i.e. internal material). Have to assume loft is the same to begin with.

That aside, the P770 is more compact and is a smaller head. If you look around in the forums or anyone who has opted for something other than P790 (arguably the best selling irons ever from TM and amongst other brands within the past several years), it's too long for some where mishits still go plenty. it's not necessarily a thicker head (sole), but a longer head which can still equally fit a lot of tungsten. I will say that mishits on my 4-5i are a bit more forgiving compared to my 6-PW, but the difference is the general strike... i feel like P790 just has this trampoline-on-steroid face where any strike near the center just gets the ball flying. 

I do like the P770 look overall. Just so modern/sleek. If I had the chance to rebuild my bag or someone offered an equal trade to get me a 4-PW bag of P790, I would take the P790. Has nothing to do with P770. For me, it's the extra yardage that I'd like and extra forgiveness without compromising the design. P790 is the poster child for me. 

• Like 1

TSR3 9* w/ Ventus Blue 6S

Stealth+ 15* w/ Ventus Blue 7S

TSR3 18* w/ Tour AD UB 8S

23' T200 4-6 w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

23' T150 7-PW w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

RTX 6 ZipCore 52, 56, 60 w/ DG Spinner

Mezz.1 Max

ProV1

Please don't tempt me with your WTS/WTT posts...

any significant differences in turf interaction. seems i rarely take a divot with the p790 and the thinner sole may be of help to me on the p770. don't necessarily need the distance of the 790 and willing to give up some forgiveness for the look and feel of 770

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36"