Is your putting a strength or a weakness? How do you know?

How do you know if you are a good putter or not?

How do you measure your progress? And what is your yardstick for what is considered good?

I've been working on my putting and I have improved, but it's difficult to tell how much. I considered myself a bad putter before -- now consider slightly below average/average?

I was at 34 putts per round. Now I'm at 32.2. Average 1.2 3-putts per round. GIR putt is 1.94 and non-GIR is 1.64. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a willed myself to be a pretty darn good putter.  

I actually do not think I have more natural talent there (touch, especially). I do have more "find the center of the face" talent than all but the most gifted of players. But my "touch" is average whe

Similar instruction helped me get much better. Instructor told me to hit hook putts...   In to out path with a closed face to path. Result was a strike that was slightly in to out and a squa

Posted Images

I have a willed myself to be a pretty darn good putter.

image.png

image.png

Edited by Obee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist TS2 15* 3-wood - Tensei Blue - 65 - S; Titleist 918 5-wood 19*. Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist 818 H1 21* Atmos Tour Spec Blue - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s-400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

47 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

what's your average proximity to the hole? this can also have a major influence on your average number of putts. 

Yeah, that's a fair question. And one I don't really track. I was hoping that someone has an easier way to measure putting performance, lol.

I've been thinking I need to measure my putt distances. I did try it one round but found it a little distracting (one more thing to think about/remember while on the green). Shouldn't have been a big deal but I found it a little tiresome. Should probably try again. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, acekun said:

Yeah, that's a fair question. And one I don't really track. I was hoping that someone has an easier way to measure putting performance, lol.

I've been thinking I need to measure my putt distances. I did try it one round but found it a little distracting (one more thing to think about/remember while on the green). Shouldn't have been a big deal but I found it a little tiresome. Should probably try again. 

absolutely. 1.2 3-putts per round could be a red herring depending on your proximity. not saying this is you but there are people out there who could improve their putting stats by dialing in their wedges and not doing anything different with their putter 😂

• Like 3

callaway big bertha alpha 815 DBD 8*, 70g diamana d+ x
TEE CB4 13* 3w, 80g diamana a'hina x
mizuno mp5 3-p, c-taper 130g
mizuno t7 50/55/60, c-taper 130g

SC bullseye platinum flange

1 minute ago, hoselpalooza said:

absolutely. 1.2 3-putts per round could be a red herring depending on your proximity. not saying this is you but there are people out there who could improve their putting stats by dialing in their wedges and not doing anything different with their putter 😂

For sure! My wedges are a strength but I actually feel like my 3-putts are often caused by my iron play. My course has fast greens with a lot of undulation. Put the ball in the wrong spot and two-putt is extremely challenging.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, acekun said:

What stat do you look at most closely?

Putts made % inside 8 ft.

• Like 2

JBeam Bullet 10*                           Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 3WD                    Accra Tour Z RPG 372 M5

Exotics CBX119 5WD                    Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 7WD                          Accra TZ5-85 M5
MIURA CB57 5-7                           MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA Tourney Blade 8-P            MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto 52, 57, 61           MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 33/350gr. 1.5 Beach Prototype (A010656)

1 minute ago, acekun said:

What's your target %?

70%

While this is considerably higher than the current PGA average, it's still my goal. I have been able to reach this once in the past 5 years and currently sit at 63% for 2020.

• Like 1

JBeam Bullet 10*                           Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 3WD                    Accra Tour Z RPG 372 M5

Exotics CBX119 5WD                    Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 7WD                          Accra TZ5-85 M5
MIURA CB57 5-7                           MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA Tourney Blade 8-P            MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto 52, 57, 61           MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 33/350gr. 1.5 Beach Prototype (A010656)

9 hours ago, acekun said:

I find stat keeping tiresome as well, BUT especially with putting and proximity to the hole and up and downs, if I don't keep some then I'm just kidding myself as to where I'm at.  I mean, I know when I'm missing a lot of 3-4 footers, but easy to just sort of gloss over that.  I'm not good at keeping them, more likely to keep them when playing alone or keeping a card for myself (did that a lot this year with one person in a cart when riding, for example).  Short answer this summer - putting was pretty good, not great, but fairways hit in particular was more of an eye opener (in a negative way) than it should have been - again, easy to gloss over sometimes.

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1

one putt % inside 10ft

three putt avoidance

making clutch putts, you know the ones where your heart rate is about 300bpm.

Putting is probably the best part of my game.

• Like 1

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
TM r15 3 wood
Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Lots of guys/gals who are mediocre to bad putters (say it out loud, Acekun: "My name is Acekun and I'm a mediocre putter" 😉 ) Are almost afraid to take it seriously. It's weird. I watch them and it's like they can't wait to get it over with, if that makes sense. Like they think they are holding up the group by taking their time on a 4-footer to halve a hole or something. It's crazy.

Great putting starts with caring about putting. I dropped from 31.5ish putts a round to 28.9 over a 3 - 6 month period, and it all started with being disgusted that I was missing so many 3 - 4 foot putts and caring enough to start a regimen to fix it.

• Like 2

Titleist TS2 15* 3-wood - Tensei Blue - 65 - S; Titleist 918 5-wood 19*. Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff

AK, you 3-putt far too often.  The problem with that being your problem is that we need to know more. Do you have any plus-cappers at your club or where you play most often?

Something to start with in amateur golf: count your putts and if it’s less than 30 you’re on the right track. This is far from the more refined statistical approach but you can measure it without much ado. 

You can check Obee’s chart to see how the below 30 rule works. 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, SNIPERBBB said:

On boring greens Im hoping for 50% for GIR first putts.

Three putt avoidance the goal is always 100%. Might have one every other round or two.

I thought I would average one every three rounds, turned out it was one every two rounds -- still pretty good and would put me in the middle of the pack on the PGA Tour. Put me on Tour greens and I'd be a bit better.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, naval2006 said:

Something to start with in amateur golf: count your putts and if it’s less than 30 you’re on the right track. This is far from the more refined statistical approach but you can measure it without much ado. 

You can check Obee’s chart to see how the below 30 rule works. 

Glad someone said this. It's totally true. Under 30 and you're fine. If your goal is to be a scratch or below player, you need to be 30 or below. Now, if you are above 30, the problem is very likely a combination of both your short game and your putting, but that's actually okay. It simply means you need to improve both. LOL

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Obee said:

AK, you 3-putt far too often.  The problem with that being your problem is that we need to know more. Do you have any plus-cappers at your club or where you play most often?

"My name is Acekun and I'm a mediocre putter". I feel better already! lol

I play with a buddy who is scratch. He rarely 3-putts. 

I just looked at last couple months and it's a little worse than I thought. I'm averaging 1.4 3-putts on my home course and 1.0 3-putts on other courses. The last 5 rounds or so, I've mentally reviewed my 3-putts on my home course. I'd say slightly more than half of them, I definitely shouldn't 3-putt (poor speed control on first putt both short and long -- I rarely 3-putt because I'm missing a 3-footer). The rest are due to poor starting position -- (typically longer, downhill putts with sidebreak). I can 2-putt those but it's not a given. We have fast greens with a lot of break. All of my 3-putts are GIRs.

2 minutes ago, acekun said:

"My name is Acekun and I'm a mediocre putter". I feel better already! lol

I play with a buddy who is scratch. He rarely 3-putts. 

I just looked at last couple months and it's a little worse than I thought. I'm averaging 1.4 3-putts on my home course and 1.0 3-putts on other courses. The last 5 rounds or so, I've mentally reviewed my 3-putts on my home course. I'd say slightly more than half of them, I definitely shouldn't 3-putt (poor speed control on first putt both short and long -- I rarely 3-putt because I'm missing a 3-footer). The rest are due to poor starting position -- (typically longer, downhill putts with sidebreak). I can 2-putt those but it's not a given. We have fast greens with a lot of break. All of my 3-putts are GIRs.

Where do you play most of your golf?

Tracking your putts is the first step toward analyzing your putting. Otherwise you're just guessing. 

I have a little system I use on the course to grade each hole. I just use one of the extra lines on the card and it goes something like this:

• I grade each drive on a scale of 1-10. That number is written in the middle of the box just like a score. 10 is as good as I can possibly hit it, and 1 is a re-tee. Obviously subjective but it's where my game needs the most attention. 
  • If I hit the green in regulation, I put a circle around the number to represent the green. 
  • I add dots around the corners of each square to represent how many putts I needed on the hole. 

When I'm done with the round I can easily add up greens hit and putts and calculate an average for my subjective driving efficiency. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Obee said:

Where do you play most of your golf?

Twin Creeks Golf Club in Allen, TX. It's a public course.

I backed into your non-GIR putts, too, to compare myself using my GIR %.

Your GIR is 1.82 vs. my 1.94 -- that ends up being 1 stroke better per round (primary difference is my 3-putts).

Your non-GIR is 1.32 vs. my 1.64 -- that is 3 strokes better per round! Massive! So like you said, combination of short game and putting.

1 minute ago, acekun said:

Your GIR is 1.82 vs. my 1.94 -- that ends up being 1 stroke better per round (primary difference is my 3-putts).

Your non-GIR is 1.32 vs. my 1.64 -- that is 3 strokes better per round! Massive! So like you said, combination of short game and putting.

Yeah, I chip/pitch it inside a 4(?)-foot circle frequently -- even from some tough spots. Short game is so, so key to playing your best golf. Yes, driving it long and straight is even more important for sure, as is great mid-iron play, but boy does a solid short game make the game a lot easier and less stressful.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, acekun said:

Keep in mind, also, that when I'm missing greens, I'm generally missing them by small amounts, and often in decent places, leaving me reasonable up and downs. If you miss greens by many yards and are then chipping from well off greens even a couple times a round, that is going to hurt your putting stats, for sure.