Some parents who think there kids are elite need to stop

tiger1873

I know they read this forum and some things these parents do need to stop.  This directed to a few girls who were on a TV show and others who got some fame a few years ago where young girls playing golf got a lot attention on TV.  I am not naming names but if it keeps up we might have too.

First off no one cares you won or placed well in a US Kids world when your kid was younger you were able to get them on TV or the Golf Channel. There teenagers now and that was years ago.  Face it you are not famous. 

For years everyone and mean everyone has put up with your tactics.  It's bad enough that you teach your kids how to hustle junior tournaments and drop balls,  trench your puts and shave stokes.  The worst offense in my book is you have taught you kids to hurt other kids games and play games with them on the course so the play poorly.   I seen countless kids over the years quit golf after your kid has played with them and your kid acted like they shouldn't even play with them or play golf. 

Guess what your only helping our our kids get better at their mental game it doesn't work anymore there not little kids.   You make it a very long day and I and everyone else loathes you guys as a playing partner.  

As bad as that is I have to draw the line when a parent decides to yell at my kid  intentionally mid round when they are doing good.  You should not be surprise when I tell them that parent to stop talking to my kid.  It's made even worse when you intentionally threaten me and say you know people in golf and we are done and will be thrown off every tour.

You not fooling anyone we all talk about you.  Not only that those kids you think you are beating are getting better every day and your comments only tell me you are worried about other kids beating your kid.  You claim your a riotous person and play for charities with your group of friends and that charity will work with you punish us.  Give me a break get a life  

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 2

Was texting with another member on this forum over the weekend about a story I was told of a dad that chucked his kids golf bag over a car after a bad tournament that ended up landing on the hood of a mercedes.  Everyone on this forum knows the kid and likely the dad.

Competition makes parents crazy.

• Sad 4
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

We have a dad at my club who thinks his son is the next big thing.

The kid is 16 now and plays of a UK 6 (pre WHS). At that age I was off 1 and our pro was off 0. 

Kid is a long way from being any kind of high level player but that Dad just doesn't seem to grasp this. It's a shame as the kid has potential but his head has been filled with so many idea he already thinks he's a star and that's stopped him listening to any advice from those who could help him. 

• Like 3

I used to run across these types of kids/parents all the time when I was growing up playing. I always felt bad for the kids. Some of them were really good and very highly ranked, but you could always tell the cared more about pleasing their parents then they did about their own passion for the game.

Their stories always seemed to end the same way though. They would just sort of fade away once they got to college. I think it was a mix of them not being as good and their parents led them to believe and them finally getting a bit of freedom from their parents so they didn't care as much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sean2 said:

Telling your child he or she is really good, when they are really not, does them a disservice, and when they do compete against kids who ARE really good, it can be quite deflating. 

I agree with this statement but this goes beyond saying your kid is great.  If that was the case I wouldn't have posted anything.

They like to play games but in reality you can learn to overcome that.

Where I have big problem is they will do anything to stop your kid from improving or and hope they can have your kid post a bad score if they think you kid is a threat.  My kid and lot other kids work hard at improving their game and deserve respect out there when they play.   

These are the parents that would steel your putter before a big round and why you never should leave your clubs unattended at a tournament.

There is no excuse for a parent to yell at kid mid round to knock them off there game and then threaten that they get you banned because there special. Some like that had no place in junior golf.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 1

Are vanity caps big with juniors ?

Played with a +1 and a 1 this Fall and neither could break 80.  Pretty sad.  Someone has taught them this is acceptable

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

2 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

Played with a +1 and a 1 this Fall and neither could break 80.  Pretty sad.  Someone has taught them this is acceptable

Vanity caps and "dodgy" scores.

We have two juniors who when they play together shoot around par but when playing with others that never seems to happen and breaking 80 is a better score. 

The sad fact is it rubs off negatively on all the other juniors who do work hard and the honest hard working ones get tarnished with the same bad brush as the bad eggs. 

32 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

Most juniors don't care that much about handicaps because they don't use them in junior comps.  However a lot kids do care about JGS rankings and you can really game rankings by having lower scores at low end tournaments.  Also if other kids you play with have a bad round it lowers their ranking so for them it is a win win. 

JGS is overrated and not as important as people think. It still a great place though to track rounds of other players.

• Like 1

I've heard some horror stories up here as well .. parents dropping balls in the rough for their kid etc

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I'm not involved in junior golf but my kids do play for fun.  This is disturbing but unfortunately a lot of parents feel like failures and thus live vicariously through their children.  To use your kid as a way of boosting your own self esteem is the lowest of the low. On top of that if you cheat for them or teach them to cheat you are a scumbag.  

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

27 minutes ago, Hstead said:

If another parent spoke negatively to my child during a tournament round of golf, for no apparent reason, like my child didn't cheat or something, it would be the last time that parent spoke to my child.  

They would walk with a limp the rest of their life most likely.

haha i have to agree but at the very least i'd report the incident and make sure that parent was forbidden from being on the course moving forward.  

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Unfortunately, this "issue" is not just limited to golf. I've found that a good, old-fashioned "a**-whoopin" will remedy such utterances and behavior. Might be a little crude or hands-on for some...

Edited by nitram
wasn't finished
  • Like 2

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

49 minutes ago, Medson said:

I always thought these bad behaviors from parents will sort themselves out once the kids begin to play by themselves without caddies. No? 

They usually do but this dad and kid was one those dads  that was on a TV series years ago.  They kind of have issues.  I almost slugged him but that is what these guys want you to do.

I've instructed my daughter to tell anyone like this to shut up and call the official and have them removed. This how you learn to deal with problems.  Playing with these kids has really improved her mental game a lot.  None of their games worked until the dad decided to get in the way.  

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TripleBogeysrbetter said:

Can we get initials or something.  This decoder ring discussion is high schoolish.

This dad is one the kids that was on a few episodes of the short game series that aired on Esquire before they cancelled it because the parents were unwatchable.   Those parents and their fans are still problems for those of us with kids the same age.

If you're a few years older or younger you are lucky because you probably have never even heard of these kids.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 2

Are the AJGA tournaments better overall? Are parents still a part of the caddying etc? My son turns 12 next year and could potentially start playing in them. I am pretty tired of the parents and kids, I would love to avoid the US Kids if possible.

M1 Tour AD GP 6s
Bio Cell+ 3 W Red Tie
Adams OS 3 4 Hybrid
Mizuno MP H5 5 - PW
Miura Tournament 50 55 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

40 minutes ago, thekingsolly said:

Are the AJGA tournaments better overall? Are parents still a part of the caddying etc? My son turns 12 next year and could potentially start playing in them. I am pretty tired of the parents and kids, I would love to avoid the US Kids if possible.

AJGA doesn't allow caddies. If you're looking to make the next step for your son then AJGA is the place to do it. 

For your specific situation you'd probably want to look at the AJGA  Junior All-Star Series tournaments. I think those are for 12-15 year olds only. Regular AJGA events do not have age groups so your son would potentially be competing against kids up to 18 years old. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

AJGA doesn't allow caddies. If you're looking to make the next step for your son then AJGA is the place to do it. 

For your specific situation you'd probably want to look at the AJGA  Junior All-Star Series tournaments. I think those are for 12-15 year olds only. Regular AJGA events do not have age groups so your son would potentially be competing against kids up to 18 years old. 

@thekingsollyHurricane is another option.  AJGA can be quite the jump for junior golfers.  Hurricane is expense and not the same quality it once was but still a good option to see where your is at.  There are usually state and sectional junior PGA events 18  and 36 holes as well.  Sometimes junior play in club events and beat up on other kids just fine.  Then as @Abh159mentioned there might be older kids and constantly 75 yards back on their drives. 

1 hour ago, thekingsolly said:

AJGA is great but good luck playing them unless you have performance stars.  How to get them is another thread though.

Lots of good alternatives. HJGT, PGA Junior Section and State golf association are the first that comes to my mind.  All of these have good and bad tournaments.  

What you're really looking for at the end of the day is tournaments people are willing to travel for. Last thing you want is to do a tournament where a majority of the players in it play golf on a weekly basis together.   It really doesn't matter the tour they all have examples of where if you show up you end feeling like an outsider the whole weekend.

When a lot kids end up traveling there all more focused and the tournament usually just feels more important.

• Like 1

Thank you for your feedback @tiger1873 @triplebogeysrbetter @abh159 my intent is to just let him play as much as he can in tournament conditions, the junior version of the AJGA seems amenable. The HJT on the east coast doesnt attract a lot of players for some reason. The US Kids is packed I am not sure why, but we have these kids and dads always with the gamesmanship. One kid kept telling my son how fast the greens were and he dying on the greens, finally on the back nine we figured they were not fast 🙂 and finished out strong with 3 birds.

M1 Tour AD GP 6s
Bio Cell+ 3 W Red Tie
Adams OS 3 4 Hybrid
Mizuno MP H5 5 - PW
Miura Tournament 50 55 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

2 hours ago, thekingsolly said:

Thank you for your feedback @tiger1873 @triplebogeysrbetter @abh159 my intent is to just let him play as much as he can in tournament conditions, the junior version of the AJGA seems amenable. The HJT on the east coast doesnt attract a lot of players for some reason. The US Kids is packed I am not sure why, but we have these kids and dads always with the gamesmanship. One kid kept telling my son how fast the greens were and he dying on the greens, finally on the back nine we figured they were not fast 🙂 and finished out strong with 3 birds.

Which part of the country are you in?  I really expected more trash talking here in SFL, but the lack of it in the USKG tournaments has been pretty fantastic.

12 hours ago, MB19 said:

Which part of the country are you in?  I really expected more trash talking here in SFL, but the lack of it in the USKG tournaments has been pretty fantastic.

The kids that are problem in south florida are older and don't play US Kids anymore.   My younger daughter has minor stuff in tournaments and for the most part doesn't have any issues. For the most part they are a blast with her.  

Older daughter when she started golf when the the short game came out and we even seen filming of a episode. Since one of the kids were members of our club at the time.  Needless to say they only filmed shots that went in after a few takes and a lot things are staged.

So she had to play with kids from the short game from the very start of her playing golf.

The majority of parents are fine but those parents with kids on the Short Game or are fans of it are a nightmare.  They all think there rockstar famous and somehow just destined to better than anyone else.  

The truth is no one likes working with them. They all yell at their kids, take way too many lessons and then run from the coaches and get kicked out of clubs after they run up a bill and worse of all treat everyone like garbage. A lot them also will do anything to win.

It has to stop with this group of  kids they are not little kids anymore.  

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 1