Golf In Canada

ewaldbeukes

2 hours ago, ewaldbeukes said:

Nice thanks for this! Silly question on the brutal winters... what I understand is that homes, shopping centres, places of work etc are fairly geared to the cold and less light right? So when its winter and you head out to the shop or the office its not unbearable? What I am assuming is that come weekends you either need to ski / snowboard (if the weather allows) or your inside watching some tv or hanging out with family and friends as the outside world is a snowy ice park? Meaning that when its brutal your getting many "bad" days on weekends where you cant do anything? Or is there still option to head into town when its snowed under and do something? (Assuming golf outside is out haha)...

In the more northern areas where temps get into the -20's regularly the norm is for it to be cold and clear/sunny. Most of the time it's not snowing when it's -20(the winter of 2019/20 being an exception here). A temp of -25 while getting 30cm+ of snow in two days is pretty demoralizing but thankfully uncommon here. Also in areas outside of the big cities in the most southern parts of the country snow clearing is generally pretty efficient and all but the most major storms rarely shut anything down.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

6 hours ago, ewaldbeukes said:

Nice thanks for this! Silly question on the brutal winters... what I understand is that homes, shopping centres, places of work etc are fairly geared to the cold and less light right? So when its winter and you head out to the shop or the office its not unbearable? What I am assuming is that come weekends you either need to ski / snowboard (if the weather allows) or your inside watching some tv or hanging out with family and friends as the outside world is a snowy ice park? Meaning that when its brutal your getting many "bad" days on weekends where you cant do anything? Or is there still option to head into town when its snowed under and do something? (Assuming golf outside is out haha)...

Yeah, all houses, buildings, and vehicles in Canada are built for cold in the Winter and heat in the Summer. Our houses and buildings have insulation built in, strong furnaces for the Winter and Air Conditioners for the Summer.

During the Winter, there are lots of indoor activities geared for adults and kids (pre-COVID lockdowns) with everything from indoor pools, gyms, sports, shopping, malls, movie theatres, restaurants, concerts, play areas etc. There are also indoor golf simulators that have leagues, memberships etc.

For outdoor Winter activities, it depends on where you are...some areas have skiing (downhill and cross-country), snowboarding, tubing, snowshoeing, ice fishing, skating, hockey etc, but lots of people don’t do any of those and just mostly stay indoors in the Winter, hence Chanceman’s line of “going from one hot box to another”.

Winter is just a reality of most parts of Canada that we accept as a part of life. Some parts of Canada are blessed to have less harsh Winters, but most aren’t and we suck it up and make the best of it.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

🇨🇦🤣

A792CE06-A87C-49E2-89FC-84F7CE8034BA.jpeg

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

52 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Yeah, all houses, buildings, and vehicles in Canada are built for cold in the Winter and heat in the Summer. Our houses and buildings have insulation built in, strong furnaces for the Winter and Air Conditioners for the Summer.

During the Winter, there are lots of indoor activities geared for adults and kids (pre-COVID lockdowns) with everything from indoor pools, gyms, sports, shopping, malls, movie theatres, restaurants, concerts, play areas etc. There are also indoor golf simulators that have leagues, memberships etc.

For outdoor Winter activities, it depends on where you are...some areas have skiing (downhill and cross-country), snowboarding, tubing, snowshoeing, ice fishing, skating, hockey etc, but lots of people don’t do any of those and just mostly stay indoors in the Winter, hence Chanceman’s line of “going from one hot box to another”.

Winter is just a reality of most parts of Canada that we accept as a part of life. Some parts of Canada are blessed to have less harsh Winters, but most aren’t and we suck it up and make the best of it.

Awesome, sure by the time we can come across Covid would have calmed down! 

What is golf like for Juniors in Canada? My son is turning 4 and would love to get him into the game if he so wishes... he enjoys coming with me in the golf cart now and playing in the bunkers... building blocks 😂

Srixon ZX5 LS Driver, Project X Hzrdus Black, 70g 6.5

Cobra Fly Z Fairway, UST Elements Fire, 7F5 

Cobra Fly Z Hybrid, Aldila Tour Blue ATX85H 2.3-X

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW, True Temper X100

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Biomech Acculock Ace / Ping B90 Broomstick

6 hours ago, ewaldbeukes said:

I also live there, the brutal part is usually just 2 weeks where it’s super cold a winter. But after that it’s not bad, you just wear a jacket and a toque (winter hat) but you don’t stay inside the whole time. You still can do outside activities, skating or cross country skiing and stuff like that. Of course there’s indoor golf simulators. But golf seasons awesome with the late sunsets, in July I’ll work a 12 hour day shift and then go play twilight priced 18.
There’s also so many courses that I’d recommend not even getting a membership so you can go play wherever you want. You can also get a discount pass (vip golf) if you play lots and save a ton of money. 

8 minutes ago, ewaldbeukes said:

What is golf like for Juniors in Canada? My son is turning 4 and would love to get him into the game if he so wishes... he enjoys coming with me in the golf cart now and playing in the bunkers... building blocks 😂

Yup, hopefully COVID will be a bad memory soon! 

For kids’ golf, I can only speak to my area (Barrie, 45 mins North of Toronto)...we have a few courses here where kids under 13 can actually play for free when accompanied by a parent. We also have a course here where they have family nights on Sundays and you only pay $25 for an adult + 1 child. Probably not possible closer to Toronto where it’s way more expensive and high demand, or places like Victoria or Vancouver, but here in Barrie it’s a family friendly small city and golf is still pretty affordable.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

We have really good junior golf programs here in Edmonton as well. I know last summer they were running a program where kids could play a few courses for something like $5. It was really popular and lots took advantage. I complain a bit about living here, but usually (pre-Covid) it isn't that bad. We just take a few trips in the winter (Phoenix or Palm Springs) to get some sun and golf in. And the summers are awesome. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max

Fairway: Ping G425 Max

Hybrid: Adams Pro Black

Irons (5 to U): Ping I525

Wedges (56, 60): Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth

Putter: Bettinardi BB5

7 hours ago, ewaldbeukes said:

Usually most clubs offer a very attractive junior rate.

At my club the rate is less than $600 per year for unlimited play and use of practice areas. 

Juniors also have signing privileges around the club (the 1st day my son played with his friends I got a call from the associate pro asking if it was ok for him to charge a box of Pro V's to the account .... lol) and can bring guests.

Note that juniors are restricted to play after 2pm in the summer but in Vancouver it does not get dark till after 9pm.

We are getting close here in the South Okanagan. But I'm still skeptical we will have a late winter blast.

Here was our course two days ago. Temperatures were into the low teens last week. If by chance winter decides to skip us this year we should be golfing by Mid-Feb in these conditions. Course is still green, but VERY soft at the moment.

rewspiv.jpg

Edited by Xavier_11
  • Like 1

TSR 3 9.5° Tour AD XC 6 X
TSR 3 15° Tour AD DI 8 X

T-200 (3) Modus 3 125 X

T-100 (4-PW) Modus 3 125 X
SM9 (50°,55°,60°) Modus 3 125 S
Special Select - Newport 2
Pro V1X

WITB Pics

41 minutes ago, Xavier_11 said:

We are getting close here in the South Okanagan. But I'm still skeptical we will have a late winter blast.

Here was our course two days ago. Temperatures were into the low teens last week. If by chance winter decides to skip us this year we should be golfing by Mid-Feb in these conditions. Course is still green, but VERY soft at the moment.

rewspiv.jpg

Gorgeous!! But why would anyone choose that when you could have this, Lol?

36AA6EAD-AD1E-4135-95A5-DCC285663485.jpeg

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

2 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Gorgeous!! But why would anyone choose that when you could have this, Lol?

Haha, Been there, done that. Lived in Alberta for 10 years and saw everything including -50 Celsius. Grew up in Nova Scotia where the snow banks were 6 ft +

I think I'll stay here. Golf for 9.5-10 months and the best wineries in the country at my finger tips. This is simply heaven for this guy. lol

TSR 3 15° Tour AD DI 8 X

T-200 (3) Modus 3 125 X

Pro V1X

WITB Pics

On 1/20/2021 at 11:29 AM, Xavier_11 said:

rewspiv.jpg

What course is this?

Titleist TS2 - Diamana White S
Taylormade M4, 16.5*

Ping G410 Crossover 20*
Callaway Apex Pro 4-P
Titleist SM6/8 52*,56*,60*
Scotty Cameron Newport 

Where's all the Quebecers on this thread? Or did we stop considering ourselves Canadian again?

• Haha 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

30 minutes ago, golf_bhoy said:

What course is this?

Nk'Mip Canyon Desert in Oliver, BC. Don't get much of a winter down here as we are still considered part of the Sonora Desert. 

TSR 3 15° Tour AD DI 8 X

T-200 (3) Modus 3 125 X

Pro V1X

WITB Pics

4 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

Where's all the Quebecers on this thread? Or did we stop considering ourselves Canadian again?

Lol!! Well, I lived in Quebec for 10 yrs and grew up there, so I’m kind of a Quebecer. My Dad still live in MTL, so get back pretty often.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

4 hours ago, Xavier_11 said:

One More Shot from Yesterday Afternoon

141341085_3791711137557224_3737829997286946340_o.jpg

Gorgeous!! Well I’ll counter that with an even bigger and better snowman this time, Lol!

FF8E484C-12F4-4A33-8913-3201F07DBD81.jpeg

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

6 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Lol!! Well, I lived in Quebec for 10 yrs and grew up there, so I’m kind of a Quebecer. My Dad still live in MTL, so get back pretty often.

Where in Quebec mon ami

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

18 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

Where in Quebec mon ami

Grew up in Northern Quebec, Rouin-Noranda, and also lived in MTL for a couple of years (Laval). What part of MTL are you in?

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

11 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Grew up in Northern Quebec, Rouin-Noranda, and also lived in MTL for a couple of years (Laval). What part of MTL are you in?

West Island of Montreal. The last English stronghold haha, and home of some of our snootiest private clubs. 

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

19 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

West Island of Montreal. The last English stronghold haha, and home of some of our snootiest private clubs. 

Nice! Yeah, super expensive there...that’s why we lived in Laval along with the rest of the common folk, Lol!

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

10 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

Which one of those did you say you belonged to again?  🤪

I've been a member at a club a tad bit more west for 10+ years so just have stayed. I almost joined one of them a few years back but have a lot of friends where I am!

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

• 3 weeks later...

Deleted

Edited by BallerNate

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2021 at 5:12 PM, BallerNate said:

Hahaha, small world. We used to go over to Rouin-Noranda for beer and poutine when I was in Kirkland lake 'cause the drinking age was only 18 lol.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

18 minutes ago, The Mad Bomber said:

Hahaha, small world. We used to go over to Rouin-Noranda for beer and poutine when I was in Kirkland lake 'cause the drinking age was only 18 lol.

Awesome!! Best poutine in Canada...small world for sure!!

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX