Have you ever been genuinely surprised by someone's game?

vbb

14 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

Nice. Glad to see he wasn't a big timer that felt you were good enough to breathe the same air as him.

Yeah, he is super laid back.  I think he liked playing with me from then on because we just played golf and talked like 2 average Joes.  He could just be a regular 20 something guy for those few hours.  

He was cool enough to remember me when I saw him play his first year in the NBA.  I was in Utah visiting family and I went to see him play against the Jazz when he was with Philly.  I walked down during their pregame warmups and he recognized me and called me over to chat for a bit.  

• Like 1

I know a couple of guys in their 40s/50s that have a bag full of head covers...and hybrids.  It's a challenge to see an iron in their bags.  lol  One of them has a 9&7wd and the other doesn't have an iron over 7i.  Both of them are damn good, but both are cagey, neither says so.  If I didn't know either of them, I'd think easy money...  As it is, if I am not careful, both of them will take my money. 😜

• Haha 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

1 hour ago, Forged4ever said:

Yah, the last time that that happened was in the late 80's and to make a long story short(well, short for me🤪), I'd won a couple of Clubs, had won just over $4500 for the year in the inter club SWATS and thought that I was a Player(capital P. Those that know my posts know the significance). Well, my Teacher/Mentor, Pete, knew that I was just another *sshole kid who's ego was bigger than his game though Pete, unlike his younger Bro, wasn't big on talkin, though at that stage I wasn't big on listening, so when a good Bud of his and Sam's from the other side of the state passed through town on his way home to see him, he asked me to take him up to the club to Play a round.

I wanted Pete to join us as though he was retired, he had a life time membership that the members gifted him, the only Pro in the history of the club to this day to have that honor. He normally loved goin up, seeing old pals, shootin the sh*t and hittin the ball though he begged off, sayin that he was busy and had things to do, lol. So he introduced me to this "Mike" who he said had met Sam while he was "scraping it around the tour here and there," lolol. He was built like a fire hydrant, 5'11", 220-225lbs, with a barrel chest, pipe fitter forearms and biceps like Sam, and a lil paunch for a belly. 

Bells and whistles should've gone off when Pete gave him his bag to Play as NO ONE, including Sam, hit Pete's sticks(Staff blades/wedges, 8802 putter & custom made by the man himself, Toney Penna woods) as while Pete wasn't as big of a hustler as Sam, he was a Snead and I should've known better, though young, stupid and full of oneself makes for a kick*ss concoction🤪

I've told this story in greater depth elsewhere and there was a pic of all of us and I'm tryin to locate that pic in my file though it might be in that friggin cloud however it's somewhere on the board, lol:

I was 3 up on the front, and finished strong with an even Par back nine. 

Ole Mikey Boy?

He decided that playtime was over, started knockin down pins and tappin in putts and threw down a 29, lol

I ended up losing just over a grand, and had to run to the bank to cash a check😂😂

While some guys had come out onto the course to watch, no one said anything prior to me leaving for the bank. When I got back, one of em came up to me in the Men's card room and asked me if I'd lost my "f*ckin mind?," lol

I guess I still had that just b*tch slapped befuddled look on my face cuz he stated, and I'll never forget this cuz he was very conservative and never used the word "dude," though he said, "Dude, that is Mike friggin Souchak," lol🤪

It still didn't register til our then current Pro filled me in😂😂

Mike was a gracious winner and liked the fact that I didn't "quit" when he went birdie-birdie-birdie-eagle, and I won the hole after his eagle with a bird of my own, lol. Still, I wanted to cry😂😂

For you younguns that don't know the name, look him up, lolol 

The best advice in this thread is @Obee's, as Mike's swing wasn't much to look at as it was this 3/4 sorta chop swing, huge divot(biggest divot I've seen to this day) though his balls were on a string and damn could he put it out there, lol. I'm talkin a 60yo+ hittin persimmons 3 bills, 20-25yds past me, lol. I came to find out that he finished 2nd to Jack twice in the Tour Long Ball competition that they used to have at the PGA Championship.  

Well, so much for that "short story,"😂😂

First lesson?

Be Uber weary when ya hear someone use the phrase "scrapin it around."

Better lesson??

Don't gamble!!! 

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends
RP

Took a quick search to place his name. It came up for a good 20 years on every golf telecast where someone was really lighting it up and you can still find his name on the odd club when you search for classic clubs. 

Sounds like you got a decent lesson for your money!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Forged4ever said:

Yah, the last time that that happened was in the late 80's and to make a long story short(well, short for me🤪), I'd won a couple of Clubs, had won just over $4500 for the year in the inter club SWATS and thought that I was a Player(capital P. Those that know my posts know the significance). Well, my Teacher/Mentor, Pete, knew that I was just another *sshole kid who's ego was bigger than his game though Pete, unlike his younger Bro, wasn't big on talkin, though at that stage I wasn't big on listening, so when a good Bud of his and Sam's from the other side of the state passed through town on his way home to see him, he asked me to take him up to the club to Play a round.

I wanted Pete to join us as though he was retired, he had a life time membership that the members gifted him, the only Pro in the history of the club to this day to have that honor. He normally loved goin up, seeing old pals, shootin the sh*t and hittin the ball though he begged off, sayin that he was busy and had things to do, lol. So he introduced me to this "Mike" who he said had met Sam while he was "scraping it around the tour here and there," lolol. He was built like a fire hydrant, 5'11", 220-225lbs, with a barrel chest, pipe fitter forearms and biceps like Sam, and a lil paunch for a belly. 

Bells and whistles should've gone off when Pete gave him his bag to Play as NO ONE, including Sam, hit Pete's sticks(Staff blades/wedges, 8802 putter & custom made by the man himself, Toney Penna woods) as while Pete wasn't as big of a hustler as Sam, he was a Snead and I should've known better, though young, stupid and full of oneself makes for a kick*ss concoction🤪

I've told this story in greater depth elsewhere and there was a pic of all of us and I'm tryin to locate that pic in my file though it might be in that friggin cloud however it's somewhere on the board, lol:

Ole Mikey Boy?

He decided that playtime was over, started knockin down pins and tappin in putts and threw down a 29, lol. He had Played me like a fiddle on the front side, lol. I wasn't bright enough to see it at the time🤪

I ended up losing just over a grand, and had to run to the bank to cash a check😂😂

While some guys had come out onto the course to watch, no one said anything prior to me leaving for the bank. When I got back, one of em came up to me in the Men's card room and asked me if I'd lost my "f*ckin mind?," lol

I guess I still had that just b*tch slapped befuddled look on my face cuz he stated, and I'll never forget this cuz he was very conservative and never used the word "dude," though he said, "Dude, that is Mike friggin Souchak," lol🤪

Mike was a gracious winner and liked the fact that I didn't "quit" when he went birdie-birdie-birdie-eagle, and I won the hole after his eagle with a bird of my own, lol. Still, I wanted to cry😂😂

The best advice in this thread is @Obee's, as Mike's swing wasn't much to look at as it was this 3/4 sorta chop swing, huge divot(biggest divot I've seen to this day) though his balls were on a string and damn could he put it out there, lol. I'm talkin a 60yo+ hittin persimmons 3 bills, 20-25yds past me, lol. I came to find out that he finished 2nd to Jack twice in the Tour Long Ball competition that they used to have at the PGA Championship.  

First lesson?

Better lesson??

Don't gamble!!! 

Oh, and that 29 Mike fired wasn't on your run of the mill club track. We last co-hosted the 2003 US Am with Oakmont. From the "BoB(Back of Box)"s, which we Played that day, it's a challenge, lol. 

RP

I remember you posting that story before (though I don't remember there being a picture with it). Great story, and just as good second time around👍

I think when you posted it a few years ago you said that Mike Souchak was hitting everything slightly left on the front nine, and it was only later that you realised he was doing it deliberately. Amazing control.

• Like 3

Mine is from a few years ago. Played with a couple juniors at a little riverside course between Osaka and Kyoto. It`s cheap, so you get a lot of hackers, but there are always a few groups of people who look like they know what they are doing. I was just going around by myself and the starter walks up and asks if a couple juniors can join me. Of course I say yes and they take off their head covers and say hello and a few others from the range walk up to the tee, one is the local pro.

I actually strip one down the middle and the first junior bunts one down the middle and the other hits a little to the right (off the fairway to steps and it`s in the on-course hazard). Nothing unusual the first few holes. I`m playing pretty decent, hovering around par. We come to the driveable par 4 7th and one boy pops it on the green. We walk up to the green and it`s a tap in for eagle. I figure he`s probably 3 or so under par. He birdies the tenth, pars the next and then birdies the next 6 holes. the 18th is about 350 yards. He hits it to about 70 yards and one bounces his approach off the flag. He missed the 5 footer for 60. 

You just don`t expect some kid to do that. I was a decent junior player. Shot under par a few times. Won some tournaments. When I was on, every one in the group knew it. But, this kid was just ice cold. Like it wasn`t the first time. 

Edited by Christen_The_Sloop
  • Like 4

58 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I remember you posting that story before (though I don't remember there being a picture with it). Great story, and just as good second time around👍

I think when you posted it a few years ago you said that Mike Souchak was hitting everything slightly left on the front nine, and it was only later that you realised he was doing it deliberately. Amazing control.

Maddie actually found the pic of us three at Pete's driving range and I posted it after the initial post. Yep, he was one bouncing balls into traps on the short side and then I didn't know this either however he was intentionally choosing the distance outa the trap that he wanted his next putt to be and I asked him how close he was to where he was aiming and he said "close," lolol. I mean I had Played against and with Tour Player level guys along with my Best Ball Partner being one  of two Players that Sam ever backed for a run at the Tour(due to his off course lack of discipline, he flamed out in Fla) and I remember thinkin on the front side that if this guy had Played "smarter" instead of goin for so many short side Pins, he would have done more than "scrape around," 😂😂😂

I felt like such an *sshole later and only admitted that to a few close buds, lol

Stay Well Brotha👊
RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 3

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

2 hours ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

Took a quick search to place his name. It came up for a good 20 years on every golf telecast where someone was really lighting it up and you can still find his name on the odd club when you search for classic clubs. 

Sounds like you got a decent lesson for your money!

The other thing is that I came to learn was that Mike was a Hogan Staffer as was our Pro at the time. He had this group pic in his office behind his desk taken down at Ft. Worth with Mr. Hogan and about a 12-15 other mostly Club Head Pros, with Hogan seated center, front row, though Tom Kite was standing on far left of the second row and Gary pointed to the last guy on the far right and though I'd seen the pic before, I'd never noticed anyone but Gary, Hogan and Kite however that guy on the far right was Souchak, lolol.

The pic was taken in the early 80's and though Hogan had sold the company to AMF 20+ years earlier, he had stayed on till AMF was purchased in the mid-80's, though he was still involved in the design aspect into the early 90's, when he was basically fired when Goodwin purchased the company and moved em out of Ft. Worth. Mike also told Pete that it was nice to Play with someone who didn't ask for swing advice, lol.  I was too busy tryin to keep from getting totally humiliated, lol. I never ever could've imagined being even from the BoB's and being down 5 through 9 holes, lolol. 

Thanks for responding👊
RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 2

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

3 hours ago, Forged4ever said:

Ole Mikey Boy?

He decided that playtime was over, started knockin down pins and tappin in putts and threw down a 29, lol. He had Played me like a fiddle on the front side, lol. I wasn't bright enough to see it at the time🤪

First lesson?

Better lesson??

Don't gamble!!! 

Oh, and that 29 Mike fired wasn't on your run of the mill club track. We last co-hosted the 2003 US Am with Oakmont. From the "BoB(Back of Box)"s, which we Played that day, it's a challenge, lol. 

RP

Don't you ever mention me in a thread that mentions Mike Souchak again. In any way. I am a crappy amateur. A "never was." Mike Souchak is a legend. As are you, my friend. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

2 hours ago, Forged4ever said:

Maddie actually found the pic of us three at Pete's driving range and I posted it after the initial post. Yep, he was one bouncing balls into traps on the short side and then I didn't know this either however he was intentionally choosing the distance outa the trap that he wanted his next putt to be and I asked him how close he was to where he was aiming and he said "close," lolol. I mean I had Played against and with Tour Player level guys along with my Best Ball Partner being one  of two Players that Sam ever backed for a run at the Tour(due to his off course lack of discipline, he flamed out in Fla) and I remember thinkin on the front side that if this guy had Played "smarter" instead of goin for so many short side Pins, he would have done more than "scrape around," 😂😂😂

I felt like such an *sshole later and only admitted that to a few close buds, lol

Stay Well Brotha👊
RP

Now, the hitting into bunkers rings a bell. So he was short-siding himself to get a bit of practice? It's like a tiger toying with its prey before going for the kill.

You look after yourself as well👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

Mine is from a few years ago. Played with a couple juniors at a little riverside course between Osaka and Kyoto. It`s cheap, so you get a lot of hackers, but there are always a few groups of people who look like they know what they are doing. I was just going around by myself and the starter walks up and asks if a couple juniors can join me. Of course I say yes and they take off their head covers and say hello and a few others from the range walk up to the tee, one is the local pro.

I actually strip one down the middle and the first junior bunts one down the middle and the other hits a little to the right (off the fairway to steps and it`s in the on-course hazard). Nothing unusual the first few holes. I`m playing pretty decent, hovering around par. We come to the driveable par 4 7th and one boy pops it on the green. We walk up to the green and it`s a tap in for eagle. I figure he`s probably 3 or so under par. He birdies the tenth, pars the next and then birdies the next 6 holes. the 18th is about 350 yards. He hits it to about 70 yards and one bounces his approach off the flag. He missed the 5 footer for 60. 

You just don`t expect some kid to do that. I was a decent junior player. Shot under par a few times. Won some tournaments. When I was on, every one in the group knew it. But, this kid was just ice cold. Like it wasn`t the first time. 

I hope you got his name. Sounds like one to watch for the future.

What particularly impressed you about his game?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Loki said:

Holy Grail set?

Yep back in the 60s and 70s in my area the 53 Spalding Top Flites were considered a "Holy Grail" set--- A lot of the hustlers and good college players played those--- Different areas had their versions that better players played. 

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

On 3/1/2021 at 5:52 PM, Pepperturbo said:

I know a couple of guys in their 40s/50s that have a bag full of head covers...and hybrids.  It's a challenge to see an iron in their bags.  lol  One of them has a 9&7wd and the other doesn't have an iron over 7i.  Both of them are damn good, but both are cagey, neither says so.  If I didn't know either of them, I'd think easy money...  As it is, if I am not careful, both of them will take my money. 😜

Have you seen Mark Crossfield's setup? He stops at 7 iron too. 

12 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Have you seen Mark Crossfield's setup? He stops at 7 iron too. 

@TheDeanAbides: Any recent Link to Crossfield's WITB please?

The WITB version i saw, for Crossfield = from 2Jan2020
i.e. a combo set (6i=srixon z585, and 7i = srixon z785).
5i = undecided (between the z585 iron, and the Cleveland HBLauncher Turbo SGI iron)  

2 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

@TheDeanAbides: Any recent Link to Crossfield's WITB please?

The WITB version i saw, for Crossfield = from 2Jan2020
i.e. a combo set (6i=srixon z585, and 7i = srixon z785).
5i = undecided (between the z585 iron, and the Cleveland HBLauncher Turbo SGI iron)  

The last half dozen times I saw him play he played the Srixons as a combo up to 7i and then went with the Launcher as his 6/5 iron replacement.

7 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

The last half dozen times I saw him play he played the Srixons as a combo up to 7i and then went with the Launcher as his 6/5 iron replacement.

@TheDeanAbides: Thanks. Found Mark Crossfield's Aug2020 WITB update. Mentions the Launcher HB hybrid as his 6i/5i replacement. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Yep back in the 60s and 70s in my area the 53 Spalding Top Flites were considered a "Holy Grail" set--- A lot of the hustlers and good college players played those--- Different areas had their versions that better players played. 

My BB Partner that I've spoken of above and elsewhere Played the Spalding "Bird on Ball(1967-1969)" Professionals(Internet image) and d*mn were those sweet. He also had a back-up set as those were not easy to come by. 

When we showed up for the money games guys looked at us sideways cuz he was Playin the "BoB"s(there's that d*mn word again😂) and I was Playin a set of Mizzy TP9's that I'd picked up in Europe, as Mizzy did not hit Pittsburgh till the following season when Bob Ford picked em up over at Oakmont, lol.

Stay Well Brotha👊
RP

730924DE-2CE6-40A6-922D-32E1D8E245DF.jpeg

D6CA81DF-5796-4748-95C4-43C2C4B4B2DC.jpeg

2A4E255A-11F9-4E88-8E28-8FB68BCBDAD3.jpeg

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I hope you got his name. Sounds like one to watch for the future.

What particularly impressed you about his game?

I've long since forgotten - but, he said his sister was on the national team, so I've probably watched her on TV in one of those amateur championship playbacks they always have on on GOLF NETWOOOOORK!

Impressive? Laser straight drives. Irons in the middle of every green, no more than twenty feet and holed everything. And, he was just cool about it. We actually had a good talk. It was fun just shooting the s***, like you don't usually get to do in Japan everyone is so formal and stunted. It's like how I grew up - on a golf course without a worry

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Forged4ever said:

My BB Partner that I've spoken of above and elsewhere Played the Spalding "Bird on Ball(1967-1969)" Professionals(Internet image) and d*mn were those sweet. He also had a back-up set as those were not easy to come by. 

When we showed up for the money games guys looked at us sideways cuz he was Playin the "BoB"s(there's that d*mn word again😂) and I was Playin a set of Mizzy TP9's that I'd picked up in Europe, as they did not hit Pittsburgh till the following season when Bob Ford picked em up over at Oakmont, lol.

Stay Well Brotha👊
RP

730924DE-2CE6-40A6-922D-32E1D8E245DF.jpeg

D6CA81DF-5796-4748-95C4-43C2C4B4B2DC.jpeg

2A4E255A-11F9-4E88-8E28-8FB68BCBDAD3.jpeg

I played a set briefly then went back to my 66 Spalding Elite 333 Customs. I was not always a Macgregor man. 

Now you will know who this is others will not. Back around 70 or so golf pro James Black brought this little black man up from Florida. Little fellow with glasses as thick as Coke bottles. Man could he play!!! He played a set of 67 Bird On The Ball Top Flites loaded with lead tape. When he first came up he played a lot with me to get the gist of our course. When certain people got brought up my old man if he was one of the backers always had them play some with me. The old man one of the few positive things he ever said about me would tell them I could read and putt our greens better than anyone. Yep he later on went on the PGA Tour. NOTE: He loved sweet potato pie and my step Mom cooked them for him. Thus he got the nickname "Tater Pie". Saw him on GC last month on the show the GC did for Black History month. Yep I knew a lot of those guys because my old man would back them in money matches. The guy was Nate Starks. James Black BTW my old man had the utmost respect for him. He let James change my grip from a interlock to overlap when my hands started getting big. My old man had small hands and used a interlock grip. James was also the one who told him those Staff aluminum shaft Bergs I had did not have enough shaft for me. He sold me the 333 Elites cheap. A few years back I saw a U-Tube video that James did my wife looked at it and said " he holds a club exactly like you do" I told her naaw I hold it like he does he is the man that gave me the grip I still use today.

• Like 4

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

6 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I played a set briefly then went back to my 66 Spalding Elite 333 Customs. I was not always a Macgregor man. 

Now you will know who this is others will not. Back around 70 or so golf pro James Black brought this little black man up from Florida. Little fellow with glasses as thick as Coke bottles. Man could he play!!! He played a set of 67 Bird On The Ball Top Flites loaded with lead tape. When he first came up he played a lot with me to get the gist of our course. When certain people got brought up my old man if he was one of the backers always had them play some with me. The old man one of the few positive things he ever said about me would tell them I could read and putt our greens better than anyone. Yep he later on went on the PGA Tour. NOTE: He loved sweet potato pie and my step Mom cooked them for him. Thus he got the nickname "Tater Pie". Saw him on GC last month on the show the GC did for Black History month. Yep I knew a lot of those guys because my old man would back them in money matches. The guy was Nate Starks. James Black BTW my old man had the utmost respect for him. He let James change my grip from a interlock to overlap when my hands started getting big. My old man had small hands and used a interlock grip. James was also the one who told him those Staff aluminum shaft Bergs I had did not have enough shaft for me. He sold me the 333 Elites cheap. A few years back I saw a U-Tube video that James did my wife looked at it and said " he holds a club exactly like you do" I told her naaw I hold it like he does he is the man that gave me the grip I still use today.

Hahaha, small world!!!

I met Nate down at Pinehhurst when Pete took me down to meet and Play with Harvie Ward, who was close to both Sam & Pete as Sam had helped Harvie out when the USGA screwed him over, banned him and he was a pariah. Even though his ban was only a year or so, that crushed him and took him years to get over, though Pete said that while he did turn his life around, he was never the same and never got over it. Anyways Nate had been in town to Play some money games and on his way out when we met(he was leaving with $3k+ more that he hit town with😂).

Harvie literally introduced me, as Pete already knew Nate, they talked for a few minutes, and he was gone, so I don't know him. He was a lil thing though, lolol. I'm guessing 5'8"-5'9",  a buck fifty, maybe fifty-five, lolol. I watched some videos of him later and he could stripe it, no doubt. Same with James Black. It's a d*mn shame that those guys couldn't get the financial backing to just concentrate on the game, as they all could stick! Such is life.

Stay Well Brotha👊
RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 2