2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Need some opinions on my swing.

clevited

Damn bro you're like the Tasmanian Devil... holy crap!

Are you swinging the swing or is the swing swinging you??

I like to crush too BUT:

rule 1.... don't hurt yourself

rule 2.... you need impeccable balance no matter how you swing or nothing is repeatable.... 1mm off makes a huge difference for finding the correct part of the fairway

Falling over is fine for long drive contests.... but those guys suck at golf. 

You'll find that having great balance = the middle of the club face = consistent accuracy and consistent distance

Rock on beast mode go get it!

Can't figure how to like my own posts

2 hours ago, Krt22 said:

I actually made a grip change about a year ago as well, my right hand wasn't nearly as strong as yours, but it was still too under the club. For awhile it did feel like I could not control the club, but adding the "trigger" finger really helped me. As did the drill where you only keep 2 fingers on the club with your right hand 

I’m going through some grip changes as well, and I’ve noticed that I tend to put my RH thumb on top. Is this right or should my thumb be more wrapped around kinda like clawing it with index finger and thumb?

13 minutes ago, Barfolomew said:

Damn bro you're like the Tasmanian Devil... holy crap!

Are you swinging the swing or is the swing swinging you??

I like to crush too BUT:

rule 1.... don't hurt yourself

rule 2.... you need impeccable balance no matter how you swing or nothing is repeatable.... 1mm off makes a huge difference for finding the correct part of the fairway

Falling over is fine for long drive contests.... but those guys suck at golf. 

You'll find that having great balance = the middle of the club face = consistent accuracy and consistent distance

Rock on beast mode go get it!

Yeah, balance is tough for me.  Early extension and being on back foot too much will make for less than ideal stability I imagine.  I am hoping I can become more stable with swing changes and realize some better accuracy.  

Swing hard in case you hit it!

You have a ton of good things going on! Most of the people on here frown against trying to pattern your swing after someone else which I sorta agree with especially if that person has a lot of compensations. Having several swing models is problematic as well. 

Here's the thing, about 75% of our learning is visual, 13% through hearing and the rest through smell, taste and feel. 

Pick one person to emulate and immerse yourself in his swing.  Put different angles of his swing on a loop and spend time watching them over and over. 

You need physical practice but keep in mind that studies have shown that athletes who use mentally imagery to visualize the motion benefit as much or more as ones who physically practice. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2021 at 6:40 PM, clevited said:

I posted a couple of scores, right above your post.  Irons I don't intentionally swing long drive style but the same tendencies show up (EE, 2 way miss, low point a bit behind the ball if I don't consciously try to avoid that etc).

Ive always felt your driver should be the same tempo as everything else, so I think this approach is going to give you more problems..

Honestly Ive seen this thread at least 6 times in the past couple of years, I dont recall any coming to any kind of fruition so Im sceptical of what youre trying to do or how youre going to get there. Either youre focused on your score, or focused on having fun and theres absolutely nothing wrong with either, but you do have to choose it cant be both 

Edited by milesgiles
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, milesgiles said:

Ive always felt your driver should be the same tempo as everything else, so I think this approach is going to give you more problems..

Honestly Ive seen this thread at least 6 times in the past couple of years, I dont recall any coming to any kind of fruition so Im sceptical of what youre trying to do or how youre going to get there. Either youre focused on your score, or focused on having fun and theres absolutely nothing wrong with either, but you do have to choose it cant be both 

Thanks for the confidence sport.  Also, who the heck says you can't have fun and focus on your score? What kind of terrible no fun golf are you playing?

Some of you guys in here are hilarious, acting like you know the outcome before knowing who I am, my work ethic or my determination.  The fact is, if I want it bad enough, and put the work in, I am 100 percent sure I will achieve it.  Pessimists like you need to stop detering people from achieving their goals.

1 hour ago, milesgiles said:

Also, what the heck does this have to do with anything that has been discussed here?  You haven't even seen my tempo with "everything else".  

Edit: and what "approach" is going to give me problems?  The approach of fixing my swing or are you assuming I am trying to hit every club in my bag as far as possible, or setting up to hit it long drive style?  Don't make assumptions,you know what they say when people make assumptions.

Edited by clevited

1 hour ago, milesgiles said:

Oh I know you didn't mean that! 

The best way to score is by having fun.... Its the super serioso peeps that are sooo tightly wound that they increase the pressure by not having fun, including pros. 

Watch when Spieth starts winning again he'll say I just had to get out of my way and have fun again...

• Like 1

Can't figure how to like my own posts

24 minutes ago, clevited said:

Thanks for the confidence sport.  Also, who the heck says you can't have fun and focus on your score? What kind of terrible no fun golf are you playing?

Some of you guys in here are hilarious, acting like you know the outcome before knowing who I am, my work ethic or my determination.  The fact is, if I want it bad enough, and put the work in, I am 100 percent sure I will achieve it.  Pessimists like you need to stop detering people from achieving their goals.

I hope you keep us updated on the progress, would love to see you mash it further with a more neutral grip in future 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, clevited said:

Also, what the heck does this have to do with anything that has been discussed here?  You haven't even seen my tempo with "everything else".  

Edit: and what "approach" is going to give me problems?  The approach of fixing my swing or are you assuming I am trying to hit every club in my bag as far as possible, or setting up to hit it long drive style?  Don't make assumptions,you know what they say when people make assumptions.

No, Im saying that if youre going to hit driver flat out youll do better with that same tempo with every club. You were saying you werent doing that, hence my comment 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, clevited said:

Like it or not, scoring is about playing percentages, it really doesnt matter how good or bad you are. I know a golfer like you (well, more than one) who can look phenomenal for the odd 6 holes, but I dont think ive ever seen him complete a round. Theres no percentage play, no safe miss, no lay up, no fairway finder etc etc.

Scoring golf is boring golf im afraid.

Dont be offended, Im just healthily sceptical and would love to see you improve and prove me wrong. I dont think blowing smoke up your wotnot is going to help you much 

• Like 1

Worked on some minor grip changes last night.  I found a little trick that seems to help me adapt to the feel of a grip change a little quicker.  The hardest part for me is the feel of the backswing when trying to adopt a grip change.  I took my new weaker grip and then removed my left hand.  I then pretended i was throwing a baseball sidearm and it helped me at least get a more confident feel for what might be the right backswing. I was hitting balls pretty solidly but still inside out, steep and with minimal hip clearing.  Baby steps, but that felt like a good first step to me. Posture definitely less upright than it was.  I will post a new video later to get opinions on how the posture and grip change look. 

Edited by clevited

I practiced a bunch over the weekend and took some video of myself.  I won't share it at this time as after comparing videos, nothing really has changed other than the grip is obviously weaker which is what I planned to start with given advice in here.  

I am a person that operates best with feels rather than positions.  I have tried every single feel/method for swinging the golf club but this thread has made it obvious that my grip was holding me back from really improving in any other area of my swing.  

With that, I have had some success in the past with a very "hockey slapshot" feeling swing.  The problem was, I was trying to do it with an ULTRA strong grip back then and so I wasn't very successful long term with it.  Today, I obviously have a very flippy, steep, early extension causing swing.  Is the more correct swing type the slap shot style swing where arms and core move together to start the downswing and you rotate through or is this just another way of many to swing a golf club and may or may not suit me?  I will share a video from when I tried this style before but keep in mind, this was with my ultra strong grip, I haven't tried it again but will this week if that is the direction I should go.

I really think I have gravitated towards a flippy swing because I can really feel the club head whip around and it feels efficient and fast.  It feels like I am cracking a whip with my arms and hands at the ball where as the slap shot type feel is more like I am dragging a heavy rope with my shoulders while turning and my hands and arms contribute much less.

Here is video of an old attempt at a "hockey slap shot" feeling swing (but with my previously ultra strong grip).

Edited by clevited

Just now, milesgiles said:

dont know if this is what youre asking but imo, the better the golfer, the less you notice their arms at all.. ie everything is in sync and connected.

if you are going by feel, why use video anyway? 

I go by feel to make the changes needed.  Meaning, an athletic motion if someone describes it to me, I can pretty well make it happen.  Video is to see if the feel is making the needed changes happen.  That make sense?

14 minutes ago, clevited said:

I practiced a bunch over the weekend and took some video of myself.  I won't share it at this time as after comparing videos, nothing really has changed other than the grip is obviously weaker which is what I planned to start with given advice in here.  

I am a person that operates best with feels rather than positions.  I have tried every single feel/method for swinging the golf club but this thread has made it obvious that my grip was holding me back from really improving in any other area of my swing.  

With that, I have had some success in the past with a very "hockey slapshot" feeling swing.  The problem was, I was trying to do it with an ULTRA strong grip back then and so I wasn't very successful long term with it.  Today, I obviously have a very flippy, steep, early extension causing swing.  Is the more correct swing type the slap shot style swing where arms and core move together to start the downswing and you rotate through or is this just another way of many to swing a golf club and may or may not suit me?  I will share a video from when I tried this style before but keep in mind, this was with my ultra strong grip, I haven't tried it again but will this week if that is the direction I should go.

I really think I have gravitated towards a flippy swing because I can really feel the club head whip around and it feels efficient and fast.  It feels like I am cracking a whip with my arms and hands at the ball where as the slap shot type feel is more like I am dragging a heavy rope with my shoulders while turning and my hands and arms contribute much less.

Here is video of an old attempt at a "hockey slap shot" feeling swing (but with my previously ultra strong grip).

Looks pretty much like your current swing.    I think you aren’t going to make much progress if all you do is weaken your grip a little bit. A big part of your issues are based off your too upright setup - poor angles to start with which get flatter as you swing.    then you have to change your motion via slow, partial swings and build toward full swings - feels are developed via good mechanics.    You are working this backwards - feels don’t necessarily lead to motion change.   Iteach, in the past, has pointed the mechanics create feels and not vice versa many times.

Edited by glk
  • Like 3

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

7 minutes ago, glk said:

Looks pretty much like your current swing.    I think you aren’t going to make much progress if all you do is weaken your grip a little bit. A big part of your issues are based off your too upright setup - poor angles to start with which get flatter as you swing.    And then you have to change your motion via slow, partial swings and build toward full swings - feels are developed via good mechanics.    You are working this backwards - feels don’t necessarily lead to motion change.

I am taking Monte's advice, which is, to work on the grip and get to the point where I am hitting better shots and then focus on the other issues.  The idea to me is, the grip changes might help me naturally migrate towards some other positive changes in order to hit the ball good.  If I get to a point where I am comfortable with my grip and hitting better, I will move my focus to another area of my swing.  I am trying to take one thing at a time but I just had the hockey swing feel thought come to my head and wanted to bounce the thought around in here a bit.

Edit:  It does look a lot like my current swing except to me, it looks like I stay down and through much better.  I also don't look to be early extending much if at all.  Its still steep, still ugly but I am wondering if that is the right "feel" and maybe it will be mechanically more ideal when combined with a weaker grip?  Idk.

Edited by clevited

I’m a beginner myself, I’d consider myself to have a basic sense of athleticism and I identify with what you said earlier about work ethic, etc. I tend to put 100% into whatever it is I am dedicated to, but also can’t seem to get that motivated for just anything (golf being an exception). So I am not near as good as you but I’m excited to grow and get better at golf. I tend to analyze every part of what I’m doing but I’m learning that it’s just as good or better to relax and just trust the motion (I.e. don’t add unneeded/inefficient movements). At least that’s a common suggestion I’ve seen and get on my swing. It’s a cliche, “just let it happen” something or another. I didn’t believe it at first but first hand experience is when I try to get too involved I get a slower swing with ineffective results. If I do manage to get my hands ahead of the clubhead then it’s the wrong way likely through handle dragging/holding off release and float loading.

I got a pretty wonky swing due to compensations and I can’t work on it (broken clavicle post surgery) but I can work on form/sequencing/effortless power by focusing on keeping the string taut of a DIY Dan Martin training aid. My dad built it (took like 15 minutes [PBC pipe/string/sock/ball]). Most I can do is light workouts, lurking here and YouTube. Hoping to finally s*** later. Wish me luck 😤😮

ON TOPIC SECTION:

Anyway, I’m wondering if it’d help you to take less of a swing. It looks like you’re arms are over swinging to me. And on the downswing it looks like you pull your hands down a good 5-6inches. To me this looks like a sequence killer, like you’re trying pull hard on the handle to get into ‘impact’. Seems like you’re trying too hard in transition. Again, just a beginner observation. Good luck, have fun!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bocaji said:

I’m a beginner myself, I’d consider myself to have a basic sense of athleticism and I identify with what you said earlier about work ethic, etc. I tend to put 100% into whatever it is I am dedicated to, but also can’t seem to get that motivated for just anything (golf being an exception). So I am not near as good as you but I’m excited to grow and get better at golf. I tend to analyze every part of what I’m doing but I’m learning that it’s just as good or better to relax and just trust the motion (I.e. don’t add unneeded/inefficient movements). At least that’s a common suggestion I’ve seen and get on my swing. It’s a cliche, “just let it happen” something or another. I didn’t believe it at first but first hand experience is when I try to get too involved I get a slower swing with ineffective results. If I do manage to get my hands ahead of the clubhead then it’s the wrong way likely through handle dragging/holding off release and float loading.

I got a pretty wonky swing due to compensations and I can’t work on it (broken clavicle post surgery) but I can work on form/sequencing/effortless power by focusing on keeping the string taut of a DIY Dan Martin training aid. My dad built it (took like 15 minutes [PBC pipe/string/sock/ball]). Most I can do is light workouts, lurking here and YouTube. Hoping to finally s*** later. Wish me luck 😤😮

ON TOPIC SECTION:

Anyway, I’m wondering if it’d help you to take less of a swing. It looks like you’re arms are over swinging to me. And on the downswing it looks like you pull your hands down a good 5-6inches. To me this looks like a sequence killer, like you’re trying pull hard on the handle to get into ‘impact’. Seems like you’re trying too hard in transition. Again, just a beginner observation. Good luck, have fun!

Golf is a good obsession that is for sure.  As far as your observation is concerned, you are not alone.  I have always swung well past parallel and while that can be a problem, I don't feel any different swinging shorter unless its a complete sawed off pitch shot that is basically all arms anyways. In other words, I have the same problems regardless of how far back I take the club.  I think that is a piece of the overall puzzle but not the lowest hanging fruit if that makes sense? I am finally tired of trial and error (which was a lot of fun for many years) and conflicting you tube videos and I am trying to get some confirmation/advice on the proper things to change.  I enjoyed my efforts experimenting and trying to develop my own swing but I am ready to bite the bullet and just get better and more consistent.

On 3/3/2021 at 10:51 AM, clevited said:

I also ideally don't want to change my grip unless it is clear I am physically unable to do what I need to do to improve my contact and shot shape. 

I think it's pretty clear that your grip is the root of most (if not all?) of your woes. It's dictating every other action in your swing, starting with your very upright set up.

I know Monte recommended incremental changes to your grip -- but he also started his comments by suggesting you keep doing your thing or make massive changes. Since you're just practicing indoors now, why not post a vid of some swings with a "standard" grip? You have nothing to lose. A wholesale grip change is going to cause you to set up and move differently, and I suspect you'll immediately see that on video.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

100 yard 8irons (baby swings) off grass while slowly weakening your grip until your divots are curving left and you are hitting fades. 

Could be 1 bucket or 100+ buckets but you need to develop the feel for a weaker grip and swinging down/left instead of up and right. 

So far I have weakened my grip by about 15 degrees and I am getting the hang of it.  Video wise, still inside out but I was at least having an easier time getting solid strikes.  Snow is melting fast here so hopefully I can get outdoors and see some ball flights and take some divots.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, clevited said:

I go by feel to make the changes needed.  Meaning, an athletic motion if someone describes it to me, I can pretty well make it happen.  Video is to see if the feel is making the needed changes happen.  That make sense?

Yes, but that’s just chasing positions by any other name, which is what you said you weren’t trying to do..

Example, me, I try to push my right hip back on the backswing. So I film it to see if I actually did that (ESPECIALLY with a ball in the way when our instincts take over)

Again, not criticising, but I think you need to be clearer in your own mind about the process you’re trying to follow

5 minutes ago, clevited said:

So far I have weakened my grip by about 15 degrees and I am getting the hang of it.  Video wise, still inside out but I was at least having an easier time getting solid strikes.  Snow is melting fast here so hopefully I can get outdoors and see some ball flights and take some divots.  Thanks.

I would be making these changes with baby swings and punch shots. They will help train you to take a shorter and more controlled backswing and then swing down and left.

Put the driver on the shelf until you can hit a solid punch shot off grass with a nice divot and a fade ball flight. 

3 minutes ago, milesgiles said:

Yes, but that’s just chasing positions by any other name, which is what you said you weren’t trying to do..

Example, me, I try to push my right hip back on the backswing. So I film it to see if I actually did that (ESPECIALLY with a ball in the way when our instincts take over)

Again, not criticising, but I think you need to be clearer in your own mind about the process you’re trying to follow

It may be, you can look at it any way you want.  I am just saying rather than somebody telling me to rotate my forearms at Psomething position, I would rather someone say, throw the club to left field.  I throw the club to left field, video it, and see if it is helping me stay down and through the ball and see if it is a productive way to help me feel the right motion. 

I would give anything to be able to just feel what its like to swing well.  If you could just plug my consciousness into a tour player's mind for one swing I am almost positive I could take that and run with it.

Edited by clevited

2 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

I would be making these changes with baby swings and punch shots. They will help train you to take a shorter and more controlled backswing and then swing down and left

This seems to be the key, and I see this suggestion pop up a lot from lurking on all kinds of threads here.Especially when trying to ingrain a new path and grip change. I’ve used this myself when I am struggling with ball flight issues. I take a step back from a full swing, do a couple practice half swings and hit as many as I need to get the desired club path with half swings then transition that feel to a full swing. 

12 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

I would be making these changes with baby swings and punch shots. They will help train you to take a shorter and more controlled backswing and then swing down and left.

Put the driver on the shelf until you can hit a solid punch shot off grass with a nice divot and a fade ball flight. 

Thanks for the suggestion.  I do hit a lot of partial wedges when I practice, the driver videos just tend to make my flaws that much more obvious which is why I posted them.  I probably won't be not hitting driver but I appreciate the suggestion.  I do plan to be playing golf here soon and I am not about to go into a round completely unfamiliar swinging the driver with my swing changes.  Essentially, I practice change with a short club, then mid, then sometimes long iron, then finish with driver.  Each increase in length of club tells me a lot of information about the changes I am making imo and is valuable to me.  At least I think it is good to practice it with a range of clubs as I go.

Edited by clevited