2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

WGC Dell Technologies Matchplay 2021

MattyO1984

The concession of putts is just another psychological ploy.  I was dormie in a match.  My opponent and I both hit what appeared to be good shots from ~150 or so, but we couldn't see the green surface.  Once we arrive, both balls are tight.  My opponent was about 3' out and I was just inside 2'.  My offer of "good - good" was forcefully declined.

She had been making me putt out everything all day no matter the distance.  My offer might have been tinged with something less than benevolence. LOL!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, ThinkingPlus said:

The concession of putts is just another psychological ploy.

Yes...it very much depends on the situation...

My whole issue was, what is the point of making a +5 touring professional golfer 2-putt from six feet when it's dead straight. I'm about an 8 index right now and a terrible putter, but even I could pull this off : )

From 3 feet for the win? Sure...make him earn it.

5 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

The concession of putts is just another psychological ploy.  I was dormie in a match.  My opponent and I both hit what appeared to be good shots from ~150 or so, but we couldn't see the green surface.  Once we arrive, both balls are tight.  My opponent was about 3' out and I was just inside 2'.  My offer of "good - good" was forcefully declined.

She had been making me putt out everything all day no matter the distance.  My offer might have been tinged with something less than benevolence. LOL!

Can also backfire too.    Sometimes when you make a person putt whne they have 2 putts to win a hole , they’ll drain a mid range one and then suddenly they make everything. I always like to deny them seeing a putt go in for as long as I can.  So I’ll give a few early for sure.  

in your instance , if she missed the short one , her head would have exploded.  Which would have been poetic justice. 

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

16 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Can also backfire too.    Sometimes when you make a person putt whne they have 2 putts to win a hole , they’ll drain a mid range one and then suddenly they make everything. I always like to deny them seeing a putt go in for as long as I can.  So I’ll give a few early for sure.  

in your instance , if she missed the short one , her head would have exploded.  Which would have been poetic justice. 

Tell me about tempers flashing and possible altercations during match play you’ve seen!

I imagine you’ve seen at least sarcastic smiles, head shaking, words mumbled under breath, and possibly more. 

Gotta be some good stories there ; )

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wcbjr said:

I know it’s allowed, but it’s not allowed to give adjusted yardages, that would be considered advice.

It is funny to me seeing two guys that have played competitive golf most all their lives would be trying to decide who is away by giving adjuststed yardages.

Edited by Body_Visions

36 minutes ago, m d g said:

Yes...it very much depends on the situation...

My whole issue was, what is the point of making a +5 touring professional golfer 2-putt from six feet when it's dead straight. I'm about an 8 index right now and a terrible putter, but even I could pull this off : )

From 3 feet for the win? Sure...make him earn it.

Trying to get under their skin via disrespect.  Mind games.

35 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

It wouldn’t have mattered given I am not going to miss from inside 2' for the win.  My "good - good" was giving her a chance to gracefully concede since she had been mind gaming me since the first hole.

17 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

It wouldn’t have mattered given I am not going to miss from inside 2' for the win.  My "good - good" was giving her a chance to gracefully concede since she had been mind gaming me since the first hole.

Oh I see. Well yea. Then she was just being _______. ( insert whatever you like ). Lol.  

• Like 1

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

38 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Tell me about tempers flashing and possible altercations during match play you’ve seen!

I imagine you’ve seen at least sarcastic smiles, head shaking, words mumbled under breath, and possibly more. 

Gotta be some good stories there ; )

Well.  Not as many as you’d think.  Not in my matches.  I’m usually pretty agreeable.  But I have had some people grunt if I just don’t give anything.  And I’ve been known to get lockjaw with a bad putter.  Especially if I’m not rolling it well.  My theory is “ if it’s easy. Then go ahead snd make it “.  

but the best one I know of is a guy who drew a new  member for the match play bracket.   They get to 18 square.  New guy hits a drive way right.  Pulls another ball out and reloads.  Middle of the fairway.    Goes up and low and behold.  Finds his first ball ,apparently  spat out by a tree. 

he’s happy , picks up the 2nd ball and plays the 1st one.  Holes out for a par 5.  He got a shot so net birdie.  Opponent makes par.  

new guy pulls cap off and shakes hand.  Thinking he won.  Opponent says “ may want to re-count .  You hit a 2nd ball without declaring it a provisional , then played the 1st.  So wrong balll.  2nd ball became in play once you didn’t declare it a provisional.  Regardless of where it ended up.  

the argument ensued.  And carried to the pro shop.  An hour later it was still going.  And finally. The new guy cussed everyone out and left.  Lol.  Never came back.  Demanded a refund on his dues etc. 

now I don’t think I personally would have had the heart to do that.  But I’d have let him know his gaffe and seen it he was sport enough to DQ or call penalty on himself.   But the guy he was playing is the worlds biggest jackarse.  And loved every second of it. 

I can’t remember in match play if it’s just penalty for wrong ball and DQ or just loss of hole. But result was same.  

same guy who callled the penalty once wrestled a 75 year old hobbit on the pro shop  floor until the old guy bit him .  Both were wrong at the time but it was caught on tape.  And hilarious to watch.   

• Haha 1

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Well.  Not as many as you’d think.  Not in my matches.  I’m usually pretty agreeable.  But I have had some people grunt if I just don’t give anything.  And I’ve been known to get lockjaw with a bad putter.  Especially if I’m not rolling it well.  My theory is “ if it’s easy. Then go ahead snd make it “.  

but the best one I know of is a guy who drew a new  member for the match play bracket.   They get to 18 square.  New guy hits a drive way right.  Pulls another ball out and reloads.  Middle of the fairway.    Goes up and low and behold.  Finds his first ball ,apparently  spat out by a tree. 

he’s happy , picks up the 2nd ball and plays the 1st one.  Holes out for a par 5.  He got a shot so net birdie.  Opponent makes par.  

new guy pulls cap off and shakes hand.  Thinking he won.  Opponent says “ may want to re-count .  You hit a 2nd ball without declaring it a provisional , then played the 1st.  So wrong balll.  2nd ball became in play once you didn’t declare it a provisional.  Regardless of where it ended up.  

the argument ensued.  And carried to the pro shop.  An hour later it was still going.  And finally. The new guy cussed everyone out and left.  Lol.  Never came back.  Demanded a refund on his dues etc. 

now I don’t think I personally would have had the heart to do that.  But I’d have let him know his gaffe and seen it he was sport enough to DQ or call penalty on himself.   But the guy he was playing is the worlds biggest jackarse.  And loved every second of it. 

I can’t remember in match play if it’s just penalty for wrong ball and DQ or just loss of hole. But result was same.  

same guy who callled the penalty once wrestled a 75 year old hobbit on the pro shop  floor until the old guy bit him .  Both were wrong at the time but it was caught on tape.  And hilarious to watch.   

Personally, I don't care about the golf stories now.

Tell me more about the burro and Frodo!

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60TX

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Apex ‘19 ..L Raw 4-W AMT S400
Fourteen RM-4 50-54-60 TI S400
Versa 1W

53 minutes ago, Body_Visions said:

I know it’s allowed, but it’s not allowed to give adjusted yardages, that would be considered advice.

It is funny to me seeing two guys that have played competitive golf most all their lives would be trying to decide who is away by giving adjuststed yardages.

Spieth was confirming that the yardage he was given was the actual yardage, not the adjusted yardages for the shot. A qood question to ask when nearly everything on the PGA Tour has to deal with adjusted yardages when not on a flat course and there's influential wind.

Edited by Frankensteins Monster

5 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

“same guy who callled the penalty once wrestled a 75 year old hobbit on the pro shop  floor until the old guy bit him .  Both were wrong at the time but it was caught on tape.  And hilarious to watch.”

Haha, This is what I was looking for!

One day I’m coming down to you place to stay for a few days and we can watch the tape. 

Im a terrible houseguest, btw 😊

I really want Fleetwood to put the pedal down and finish Bryson off. 

• Like 2

Srixon: ZX5 9.5° | UST Mamiya LIN-Q Purple F4

Callaway: Mavrik Max 3  15° | VA Composite VYLYN 

Callaway: Apex Hybrid 23°  | Tense Silver S 70

Mizuno: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 5-7 | Forged 8-GW | UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4

Cleveland: Zip Core Tour Rack 54/12 Full | Heel/Toe Grind | TT DG Spinner

Callaway: Custom PM Grind 19 Tour Grey 58°/12 | UST Mamiya Wedge Proto F4

Odyssey: Milled Collection 6M | 2020 Chrome Soft X 

huge putt by Fleetwood!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Poston putting into the water! Ugh

That was tough to watch. those edges are so subtle and he made the mistake of being on the wrong side of that spine. 

big unforced error for Fleetwood. Pull the long iron or fwy off the tee and hes in good shape. Now he's taken the penalty off the tee and opened the door wide open