Golf Pride Zgrip Align upsidedown?

lefthack

I bought an M4 hybrid off eBay and when I looked at the grip I was confused. I have never messed with the align grips, but my understanding was the ridge went on the backside. 

Because I was confused, I asked the seller if he was aware the grip was installed upsidedown. I was pulling the grip regardless, but I just had to know.

He said he used the ridge as a sight alignment aid. That was a new one on me, but maybe this is a thing?

For me, the ridge on the top would mess with my grip.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I have played around with the ridge in multiple orientations over the past couple of years.  I currently have it at about 7:30, if 12 is the clubface straight up & down.  This puts the ridge directly in the first joint of my left hand.  This is a good place for me to feel the clubface.  Each golfer is somewhat different in how the “find” the face, so experiment and see wheat works best for you!

• Like 2

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

Just checked the interpretations on the rules of golf on the USGS site.

Rule 3.b (4) Axis of the grip

To paraphrase is says that it must not be mounted off centre on an angle.

Having said that, there are a whole lot of people out there that do exactly that, and realistically it likely doesn’t make any difference.

You'd be amazed how many people have no clue what the rib is for.  I've seen lots of align grips all out of sorts because the player has adjusted their driver/fairway/hybrid, and the orientation of the grip changed along with the shaft, and they just kept playing with it that way.

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Ventus Blue 6 or Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Tour Edge Exotics E723 15* Ventus Blue 6

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

1 hour ago, HISPL said:

Just checked the interpretations on the rules of golf on the USGS site.

Rule 3.b (4) Axis of the grip

To paraphrase is says that it must not be mounted off centre on an angle.

Having said that, there are a whole lot of people out there that do exactly that, and realistically it likely doesn’t make any difference.

Don't know if you understand the meaning of the "axis of the shaft," but you can install a grip any way you like. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

On 4/12/2021 at 11:05 PM, Dan Drake said:

I have played around with the ridge in multiple orientations over the past couple of years.  I currently have it at about 7:30, if 12 is the clubface straight up & down.  This puts the ridge directly in the first joint of my left hand.  This is a good place for me to feel the clubface.  Each golfer is somewhat different in how the “find” the face, so experiment and see wheat works best for you!

I'm lefty so it's more like 5:00 rather than 7:30 but same experience. Directly underneath is a spot that sits awkwardly on the meaty part of my fingers so it makes me fidget around and have to double-check I haven't rotated the club in order to make the alignment aid more comfortable down in the joints. Which is the opposite of what an alignment aid is supposed to do.

In the end, I never could get the ridge on the Align grips 100% totally consistent from club to club in that preferred position so I went back to grips without alignment aids. But if you can get them lined up on every club to fall right into those first finger joints it's a really big boost to consistency.

• Like 1

I played with a guy in a cup matches last October that played his Align grips upside down. Here's the thread for your reading. I tried it out with a club and I could see the benefit of keeping your club aligned but it felt weird whenever I try to open up a club.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

10 hours ago, North Butte said:

I'm lefty so it's more like 5:00 rather than 7:30 but same experience. Directly underneath is a spot that sits awkwardly on the meaty part of my fingers so it makes me fidget around and have to double-check I haven't rotated the club in order to make the alignment aid more comfortable down in the joints. Which is the opposite of what an alignment aid is supposed to do.

In the end, I never could get the ridge on the Align grips 100% totally consistent from club to club in that preferred position so I went back to grips without alignment aids. But if you can get them lined up on every club to fall right into those first finger joints it's a really big boost to consistency.

It certainly can be tricky to get the reminder rib in the same spot on all the clubs, especially when considering you might have a slightly different hand position on each club depending on the amount of shaft lean which each club you prefer address. 

Personally, I have found two basic strategies. First, is to just simply use an absurd amount of solvent so that you can slide the grip around for quite a long time after the initial installation. Second is to blow the grip on with an air compressor, but using single sided tape.

Each of these methods has advantages and disadvantages. For instance, the first method does not require an air compressor, but the grip is pretty much done after it sets. The second method you have less time to work the grip, but you can always remove it and start over again as many times as necessary until you feel like it is perfect.  And it requires an air compressor, LOL!

Like I said earlier, I’m a big fan of reminder ribs and moving them around until you find the spot where it helps you find the club face. Unfortunately golf is not a game where we just get the swing the sticks at the ball, we have to be aware of where the club face is oriented as well!

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

12 minutes ago, Dan Drake said:

It certainly can be tricky to get the reminder rib in the same spot on all the clubs, especially when considering you might have a slightly different hand position on each club depending on the amount of shaft lean which each club you prefer address. 

Personally, I have found two basic strategies. First, is to just simply use an absurd amount of solvent so that you can slide the grip around for quite a long time after the initial installation. Second is to blow the grip on with an air compressor, but using single sided tape.

Each of these methods has advantages and disadvantages. For instance, the first method does not require an air compressor, but the grip is pretty much done after it sets. The second method you have less time to work the grip, but you can always remove it and start over again as many times as necessary until you feel like it is perfect.  And it requires an air compressor, LOL!

Like I said earlier, I’m a big fan of reminder ribs and moving them around until you find the spot where it helps you find the club face. Unfortunately golf is not a game where we just get the swing the sticks at the ball, we have to be aware of where the club face is oriented as well!

I just don't have that much patience. I either use grips with the logo visible on top or I make a Sharpie mark at the bottom of the grip on top. Then I visually check my hand placement (thumb placement, really) relative to that mark. I tend to have one consistent orientation on irons and a slightly different orientation on wedges.

My hold on the driver for some reason aligns my hands differently. Probably because the flatter angle of the driver shaft affects my the mechanics of how my hands move. With non-driver clubs, the back of my top hand is just about parallel with the leading edge of the club. But with the driver if I set up that way the clubface is hooded so I check my hand (thumb) placement and make sure it is slightly open on the driver grip.

So in the end, having reminder ribs or Align grips has two advantages. Makes it less likely I'll fidget with my grip after doing my visual check and it saves the second or two of doing the visual check. But I work really hard on getting it consistent with or without!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dan Drake said:

Blowing them on is the best way to get them exactly how you like them.  I don't like mine square.  Prefer slightly open.  The reminder under the right hand (lower) is key.   That part is almost on straight.  The top hand will usually turn a little and ends up more open than the bottom hand.  Guys look at them like they are the weirdest thing ever, until they put their hands on them.  Then they usually think that it feels really good.

• Like 1

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize